Question about Spanish buy out clauses

+2
futbol
gnrfan
6 posters

Go down

Question about Spanish buy out clauses Empty Question about Spanish buy out clauses

Post by gnrfan Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:36 pm

I've heard that to trigger a buyout clause, it's not enough to just pay the fee. The player is buying out the contract so he has to pay a tax surcharge of 50% on top of this. So for example, if united wanted to buy griezmann atletico could hold out for technically 130 million, although 65 would end up in their coffers. Is this correct?
gnrfan
gnrfan
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Question about Spanish buy out clauses Empty Re: Question about Spanish buy out clauses

Post by futbol Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:54 pm

I doubt anyone here can give you a definitive answer. The specific tax law situation isn't so clear for people who aren't Spanish tax law experts (and even then there wouldn't be many precedent cases). The established opinion is that if a club refuses to talk, the player has to buy himself out of his own contract. Which means pay the sum that is written in his contract from his own pockets. Now since even footballers (other than absolute superstar players at top 5 clubs) rarely have € 50M+ cash lying around, the buying club would transfer the money to the player who then buys himself out of his contract with that money. But then the transfered money will be taxed as income (don't know if it's 50 % in Spain). There might be loopholes though which I think Bayern used during the Martinez sage. For example it is not clear whether the buying club can deposit the money at the football federation instead of giving it to the player which might change the whole income tax situation. Maybe Hans knows more how Bayern did it with Martinez (although I doubt it, Hans usually knows nothing).

Mind you, this is only a problem if the selling club refuses to talk alltogether. Atletico could also accept less than the official buyout fee, like € 50M, if they accept to sell.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Question about Spanish buy out clauses Empty Re: Question about Spanish buy out clauses

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:08 am

My understanding is that if a club has to pay the buy-out clause does not include the VAT so that would also have to be paid separately, but if the clubs negotiate then the VAT could be included as part of the 'transfer price'. I have no idea if this is true, but it's what I've seen thrown around.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:50 am

futbol wrote:I doubt anyone here can give you a definitive answer. The specific tax law situation isn't so clear for people who aren't Spanish tax law experts (and even then there wouldn't be many precedent cases). The established opinion is that if a club refuses to talk, the player has to buy himself out of his own contract. Which means pay the sum that is written in his contract from his own pockets. Now since even footballers (other than absolute superstar players at top 5 clubs) rarely have € 50M+ cash lying around, the buying club would transfer the money to the player who then buys himself out of his contract with that money. But then the transfered money will be taxed as income (don't know if it's 50 % in Spain). There might be loopholes though which I think Bayern used during the Martinez sage. For example it is not clear whether the buying club can deposit the money at the football federation instead of giving it to the player which might change the whole income tax situation. Maybe Hans knows more how Bayern did it with Martinez (although I doubt it, Hans usually knows nothing).

Mind you, this is only a problem if the selling club refuses to talk alltogether. Atletico could also accept less than the official buyout fee, like € 50M, if they accept to sell.

Happily enough, I work as tax advisor and sport is my main area.

Your answer is most correct I've got to tell you. There's no definite answer as there is no specific law and neither case law. As far as I know, no one has ever paid taxes on activating a buyout clause. Maybe they paid VAT, but VAT is a neutral tax for companies, so it doesn't really matter as they get back the paid VAT at the end of the year.

If you want to read an article with your new spanish about Javi Martinez's case, here they are:

http://hayderecho.com/2013/07/31/illarramendi-thiago-javi-martinez-traspaso-de-un-jugador-o-pago-de-su-clausula-de-rescision/
http://www.iusport.es/images/stories/opinion/guillermo-amilibia-tributacion-javi-martinez.pdf
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:02 pm

We paid the VAT when we signed Illarramendi from Real Sociedad. that's why his price went from 32 to almost 40 millions, those were taxes. they are not often included in the price for players but La Real were happy to report the deal with the larger sum to appease their fans and make it look like they got us. Actually the sticking point of that transfer was the fact that they were refusing to accept a settlement and forced us to activate the clause.

My understanding is the same as Futbol, if you want to avoid the VAT and the other tax (there are two taxes when activating a release clause), the player has to pay it himself or you can agree to a normal amount with the club. Although i believe VAT is only a tax that applies to Spanish club, which is one of the reason why Bayern got away with wiring the funds to Javi, iirc
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:09 pm

free_cat wrote:

If you want to read an article with your new spanish about Javi Martinez's case, here they are:

http://hayderecho.com/2013/07/31/illarramendi-thiago-javi-martinez-traspaso-de-un-jugador-o-pago-de-su-clausula-de-rescision/
http://www.iusport.es/images/stories/opinion/guillermo-amilibia-tributacion-javi-martinez.pdf

Very Happy

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:40 pm

Mr Nick09 wrote:We paid the VAT when we signed Illarramendi from Real Sociedad. that's why his price went from 32 to almost 40 millions, those were taxes. they are not often included in the price for players but La Real were happy to report the deal with the larger sum to appease their fans and make it look like they got us. Actually the sticking point of that transfer was the fact that they were refusing to accept a settlement and forced us to activate the clause.

My understanding is the same as Futbol, if you want to avoid the VAT and the other tax (there are two taxes when activating a release clause), the player has to pay it himself or you can agree to a normal amount with the club. Although i believe VAT is only a tax that applies to Spanish club, which is one of the reason why Bayern got away with wiring the funds to Javi, iirc

something like that.
tbh it's not quite clear what went down, but the way I remember we needed about 6 weeks to figure out how exactly to get Javi to pay his release avoiding this stuff, and I think it sounded like it was a legal grey area and noone knew because it was never decided/contested in front of court or something, and we just went ahead and it seems to have worked.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:42 am

Mr Nick09 wrote:We paid the VAT when we signed Illarramendi from Real Sociedad. that's why his price went from 32 to almost 40 millions, those were taxes. they are not often included in the price for players but La Real were happy to report the deal with the larger sum to appease their fans and make it look like they got us. Actually the sticking point of that transfer was the fact that they were refusing to accept a settlement and forced us to activate the clause.

VAT is a neutral tax for companies. A company doesn't pay it, just the final consumer. So real Madrid got back every penny they paid in VAT for Illarramendi when they submitted their annual VAT return.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:40 pm

I know we did, but that's why transfer are usually announced without adding the VAT. it just worked in La Real interest at the time to make it seem like we paid more to get him. Illarra ended costing us 32 mil
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:41 pm

Free who would be the final consumer in this case? TV subscribers? Ticket purchasers?

Also is it still neutral for a foreign company?
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down