Is Thiago Silva the best defender of modern football?

+34
free_cat
rincon
windkick
nasir6371
zigra
McAgger
Firenze
RealGunner
urbaNRoots
Donuts
Cookie Monster
Dante
Pip
Lucifer
Kaladin
Ion Creanga
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Art Morte
S
juvealbanian
jibers
titosantill
sportsczy
Doc
Adit
Cruijf
M99
futbol
Hapless_Hans
BarrileteCosmico
Kick
Winter is Coming
Mr Nick09
FelixMagic
38 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Is Thiago Silva the best defender of modern football?  - Page 3 Empty Re: Is Thiago Silva the best defender of modern football?

Post by Dante Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:22 am

Very upset ? Heh?

Just saying it like it is , i am a little bored with this talk but certainly nothing close to upset . Let alone very upset Laughing

Like i said it's a pretty boring discussion and you barely had anything new for me , beside amusing me with your talk about Milan fans .  

I talk about what i saw from him on the pitch . I clearly said he's not up there with the likes of Nesta and other greats , you respond with elementary stuff . Ok , we know . And i reiterate , going by skill it's not such a joke to attempt a comparison. It's not a comparison he would hope to win , against many great CBs i should add , yet i still hold that it's not unfathomable to talk about it .

I also mentioned that he wouldn't do any better than Ramos at Real , yet that flew by , for some weird reason.. apparently i am jumping out of my seat with Silva at Ligue 1 doe Proud

anyway whatever works for you

Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Is Thiago Silva the best defender of modern football?  - Page 3 Empty Re: Is Thiago Silva the best defender of modern football?

Post by Doc Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:08 pm

Mr Nick09 wrote:As Doc likes to say, Mauro Silva was makelele before makelele

He so was. The man was a legit world class midfielder.

Also, there is no such thing as neutral fan, we all have our bias and I don't blame anyone for putting Silva on a pedestal. The man, at the height of his powers, was honestly the best CB. Now, from all accounts, he is still highly rated but he definitely lost that title.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Cookie Monster Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:19 pm

I'd say before he moved to France he was easily one of the best, if not the best CB in the world. Not that there was really much competition if we're being honest.

Talent wise I'm sure he's still one of the best. As others have said, once he moved to France he became kind of irrelevant. Then again, it's a little naive to dismiss the French league when comparable defenders are playing in a Bayern dominated Bundesliga, or a Madrid/Barca dominated Spain.

I'll say this, he's the only defender of the past 5-6 years that has had the intelligence to match defenders like Nesta, Baresi, etc... Defenders of the modern era seem to be more brawn than brain, and that's where TS stands out IMO.
Cookie Monster
Cookie Monster
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:40 pm

i'd take a prime Puyol over him, guy was smarter, braver, tougher and more technical than him
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by Cookie Monster Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:15 am

How so?

Brave and tough are two words I'd associate with puyol, but smart and technical? Nope.
Cookie Monster
Cookie Monster
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:23 am

you can't rate a guy who is facing attack forces as weak as the ones you have in Ligue 1 right now... there's literally no top player to stop right now.  So i agree that you can't assess much there.

BUT, you have to realize what Silva is carrying in CL and how impressive that is...  His fullbacks were Van der Wiel, Jallet and Maxwell until this season.  His CB partners were Alex and then David Luiz.  The keepers have been Sirigu and Trapp.  There isn't one CL quality defender or keeper in that group.  He has carried a MASSIVE load.  So when PSG holds its own defensively and then some against the like of Barca, Madrid, Chelsea, etc., you really can give credit to one guy for being the anchor:  Silva.

He has more help this season with Aurier and the defense has become quasi-impregnable.  But he still has David Luiz and Maxwell to carry.

And to boot, he's the best ball playing CB in the world by far imo.

He's immense.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:24 am

Puyol technical? Um, wrong Puyol. Smart, um, yes but that started coming along as he got more experience and shifting to CB because he was too erratic as a full back. Honestly, Puyol and Silva would have made for a dynamic CB pairing.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:33 am

puyol and silva hmmm. i might actually go with silva; puyol was brave without a doubt, he'd put his face even if he sees the striker's attempting a bicyckle kick. i'm not sure about smart and technical. as i mentioned before, when barcelona and spain got the hang of holding the ball for large chunks of the game, obviously he looked really good. but even just the season before that, he'd make blockhead decisions. it kind of slips under the radar that he was extremely terrible in that game vs france at the 06 world cup. he was more brawns than brain until that midfield got their act together. his best asset was his toughness, he gets dribbled he'll keep coming at you.....and will probably get dribbled again, unless ofcourse, you never get the chance to have another go at dribbling him, cos you never get the ball
titosantill
titosantill
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:36 am

Silva hasn't played any further than quarter finals in CL/WC/Copa America.

Domestically the best he's faced were washed up Di Natale, Cavani, washed up Totti and whatever scrubs are the top forwards in Ligue 1 outside of PSG (after Ibra the topscorer in France is Batshuayi right now Laughing).

His top games that are cited are Barca in 12/13 and Chelsea. That Barca team got dominated by Sulley Muntari that season, yet Messi on 1 leg still skinned him. Chelsea were parking a hardcore bus, yet Silva still somehow conceded a stupid handball penalty before going on to score (Ramos-esque stuff).

All in all he's simply not under the same scrutiny as Pique, Ramos etc. who are playing at least semi-finals every single season (NT included) and facing real quality attackers domestically. Maybe he is the best. Or maybe he would do a lot of stupid things like Ramos if he played for Madrid and faced Messi, Suarez, Neymar, Griezmann etc. on top of making the CL semi-finals every season.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:53 am

Silva is shit

Last edited by ES on Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:28 am

urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:51 pm

Not surprised.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:55 pm

frozen with fear? u w0t m8
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:57 pm

Mental midget. Cried before and after every Brazil match at WC2014. Says it all.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:24 pm

PSG won 4-0 without him. Lost 6-1 with him but watch him still be included in FIFA World XI for dropping an 8.5 against Nantes
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:45 pm

Biggest fraud since Pep. No question.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:47 pm

He's a much bigger fraud than Pep.

At least Pep has done things worthy of hype and respect despite him being bad this year.

I literally can't think of one time Silva had a performance which is worthy of his reputation.

He's the biggest myth I have ever seen.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:55 pm

Best defender of modern football... Laughing
Is he even a defender?
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Ajax

Back to top Go down

Post by nasir6371 Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:41 pm

There are people on the SITE that rate this scrub over Ramos rofl :facepalm:
nasir6371
nasir6371
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Manchester City

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter is Coming Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:01 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:He's a much bigger fraud than Pep.

At least Pep has done things worthy of hype and respect despite him being bad this year.

I literally can't think of one time Silva had a performance which is worthy of his reputation.

Don't think he's had that bad of a year tbh.
Winter is Coming
Winter is Coming
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:01 pm

nasir6371 wrote:There are people on the SITE that rate this scrub over Ramos rofl :facepalm:

It's hilarious

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:10 pm

Still can't get over Socur trying to hype this scrub, absolute mental midget, not even captain material. Whoever made him captain of this team needs to get his prostate checked out

This is why no one rates favela merchants, 1 half decent talent and 900 dogshite Damiao's
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by S Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:33 pm

S wrote:Let's all hope Thiago Silva isn't back in time for the 2nd leg. Guy  could ruin this for PSG. Should be benched for Kimpembe based on this one game alone imo.

Comes back and did exactly like what I said. Ffs

Flamengo/Palmeiras level defender who is STILL riding his reputation based on his nationality.

PSG paying €12M net and giving captain's armband to this washed up jabroni rofl
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Cruijf Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:01 am

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:He's a much bigger fraud than Pep.

What is this blatant revisionism Laughing

He was a world class defender from 2010-2012, and was very good before and after that. Anyone who says otherwise never watched him or is a moron.
Cruijf
Cruijf
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by windkick Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:15 am

Dude's gonna be 33 this year. He did have a period in which he was a damn solid CB, that doesn't mean he was going to maintain that level his entire career.

And allot of things went wrong today with PSG, hard to pin it on any single guy (other than Emery)
windkick
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:37 am

This just reminds us how amazing Nesta was.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next