EL Patron
Hapless_Hans
Chumlum
RealGunner
40 posters

Page 16 of 19 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Go down

Who do you want as our next manager?

Next Manager thread - Page 16 Vote_lcap45%Next Manager thread - Page 16 Vote_rcap 45% 
[ 5 ]
Next Manager thread - Page 16 Vote_lcap18%Next Manager thread - Page 16 Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 2 ]
Next Manager thread - Page 16 Vote_lcap36%Next Manager thread - Page 16 Vote_rcap 36% 
[ 4 ]
Next Manager thread - Page 16 Vote_lcap0%Next Manager thread - Page 16 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 11

Next Manager thread - Page 16 Empty Re: Next Manager thread

Post by El Gunner Mon May 21, 2018 5:29 pm

Thoughts on Emery?

El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Mon May 21, 2018 5:34 pm

Emery is utter shit. Europa League mentality. No idea how to manage strong personalities.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Mon May 21, 2018 7:52 pm

It's Emery:

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Mon May 21, 2018 7:53 pm

Next Manager thread - Page 16 Vagi14
Next Manager thread - Page 16 Vagi14 Next Manager thread - Page 16 Vagi14 Next Manager thread - Page 16 Vagi14Next Manager thread - Page 16 Vagi14Next Manager thread - Page 16 Vagi14Next Manager thread - Page 16 Vagi14
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Mon May 21, 2018 7:58 pm

Arsenal hierarchy like, "I heard you like YOLO so I put a YOLO in your YOLO"

From Arteta --> a guy who can't speak English

Arsenal Internet Bullshit Artist's: :whistle:

Guillem Balague of all people with a correct opinion early on

All right, let's hope this works out well
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Mon May 21, 2018 8:01 pm

I don't know, I don't know
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Mon May 21, 2018 8:06 pm

Sina wrote:Next Manager thread - Page 16 Vagi14
Next Manager thread - Page 16 Vagi14 Next Manager thread - Page 16 Vagi14 Next Manager thread - Page 16 Vagi14Next Manager thread - Page 16 Vagi14Next Manager thread - Page 16 Vagi14Next Manager thread - Page 16 Vagi14

rofl

Let us hope for the best.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Mon May 21, 2018 8:09 pm

sportsczy wrote:Emery is utter shit. Europa League mentality. No idea how to manage strong personalities.

We don't have strong personalities though hmm
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Mon May 21, 2018 8:20 pm

Europa League,Emery and those kits
its truly new Era silent
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Mon May 21, 2018 8:50 pm

I'll just copy my thoughts on Emery from Reddit:

I started following Sevilla during the 2012/13 season, about two or three months before Emery became manager. I know about his style of management pretty well by this point, so figured I'd share some thoughts in case we're really are talking to him.

Emery was a super-detail oriented, super nervous kind of coach. I believe it was these traits that made him difficult to like at just about every club he's managed, despite all the success. There were stories during his time at Sevilla about how he'd sit players through lengthy video analysis sessions on opponents, and then give them clips to take home and study on specific players. His obsession with detail aggravated some of the players, though at the same time it made a lot of players better. You always see him orchestrating things on the touchline. If you're a fan of coaches who are always on their feet doing something, you'll love this guy.

While that sounds like he's always concerned about the opposition, he wasn't a defensive coach. Rather, it depended on the opposition and the circumstances. At home, his Sevilla were always very aggressive and played with pace, with Krychowiak and, later, N'Zonzi breaking up play in midfield, then Banega or Rakitic providing the service for Bacca or Gameiro, both pacey and clinical forwards. And because the technical level of the team was high it could keep the ball well, too.

The problems came away from home. He took over in Jan 2013 when the club hadn't won away from home all season and couldn't prevent it. Then during the 15/16 season it'd happen again. For some reason, Sevilla just could not win on the road in those two seasons, and it's bizarre that they happened so close together. Part of this was down to Emery's overly cautious, sometimes outright cowardly, approach to away games. He'd tinker with his line-up for every away game, sometimes dropping his wingers to play full-backs on the wings instead, and bulking his midfield with holding players. As you can imagine, the football this produced was pretty bad. The worst example I can think for this was a Europa League semi against Valencia. They had a 2-0 lead from the first leg. Then they went to the Mestalla and lost that lead in 26 minutes, were 3-1 down early in the second half and needed a 95th minute away goal to go through. (And you can see Emery going nuts down the touchline - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cxuQmPfDks).

Emery is not wedded to any one style. One of his favourite ploys was to play Vicente Iborra - now at Leicester, as you might have seen - as a second striker, almost like a Spanish Fellaini. This worked more times than it should have, and improved Iborra's goalscoring record, but it forced the team to go direct.

Europe is where he showed his biggest strengths as a coach. I remember one tie against Fiorentina, where he played Aleix Vidal, a right winger, as a right back completely out of nowhere. Vidal scored twice early on in the first leg as he caught Fiorentina completely off guard. After that, Vidal played RB more often and ended up at Barcelona. It wasn't all plain sailing and Sevilla tended to struggle in the first leg (loses to Porto and Real Betis, draw with Shakhtar, for example). But Emery would suss out the opposition and turn everything around in the second leg. The Liverpool final is the one everyone knows and a good example of how Sevilla's European runs tended to be - awful first half, but in complete control in the second. It was these performances that got Emery the PSG job, since they were looking to make a deeper run in the Champions League (it didn't work).

One thing about his Sevilla stint that's important to bare in mind was the ever changing squad. Sevilla's approach was to buy and sell in double-figures every summer. Important players, squad players, unneeded players - just huge turnover every season. So building a team that could compete in the league and Europe was tough, but he managed with what he had. Monchi made great signings which helped, but he also made bad ones. The squad was never deep enough to compete on multiple fronts and the domestic form always suffered when the Europa League took priority.

I don't know how many of his habits changed at PSG. He inherited a great team and played to its strengths (keeping the ball with Motta/Rabiot/Verratti, using creative forwards to set-up chances for Cavani), but couldn't deliver what PSG wanted in Europe. The Barcelona defeat in 16/17 was peak Emery cowardice. It's hard to gauge how well he did when his squad was so much more talented than everyone else in France.

Would he be good for Arsenal? Maybe. If he has good technical players, he will play good football. He will give a lot more consideration to the opposition than we're used to. He's got a great record in cup competitions. On the other hand, his record away to big teams has been awful for several years, and I think a lack of definable philosophy to fall back on often proves to be his undoing when the team isn't playing well.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Mon May 21, 2018 9:32 pm

Well that doesn't bode well for our recent away blues.

We just have to hope for the best. I assume he is also going to bring in his own coaching staff?
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Mon May 21, 2018 9:49 pm

I make fun of him of a lot but he's got qualities that Arsenal do need. Preparation, analysis, tactics, adapting to the opposition, etc. are all going to be the main focus now, perhaps even at the expense of the expansive football we all know. He's more assertive at home and more cautious away, which again could be useful given how open we were on the road last season. The key will be if he can communicate what he wants to the players and if the players will get on board with his ideas, because they're going to be very different to what they're used to.

I can't remember who was on his coaching team at Sevilla but he'll definitely be bringing people in. That would have been agreed during talks with the club.

Just thinking ahead about how we'd set-up, Emery hasn't been a two striker guy since his days at Almeria. He's mainly a 4-2-3-1 guy. So I expect either one of Auba/Laca to be played on the wing (as he did with Mbappe at PSG) or benched (as he did with Bacca/Gameiro at Sevilla - always one of them, never both). Ozil will be the number ten. I'm interested in seeing what he does to the midfield pivot because he does favour ball winners and more traditional holding players in there. Not sure if Xhaka is his sort of player.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Mon May 21, 2018 9:56 pm

Thanks for the insight Jay, always appreciated.

I admit I don’t know much about him but I’m happy purely because he’s won some trophies and has competed at the highest level recently.

But I want to know more about him, I think I’ll spend my night reading / watching reports of Emery’s previous work.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Mon May 21, 2018 10:05 pm

Good decision.

Get an experienced and endurant coach in for the transition. Someone like Arteta later, rather.

Let's not pretend like Emery is not back to back EL winner with Sevilla, over a guy like Klopp, and stuff.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon May 21, 2018 10:39 pm

Great decision. Fully behind it.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Mon May 21, 2018 10:46 pm

Lovely to see a united fanbase again! Fully behind the manager as well, now on to the transfer window!
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Mon May 21, 2018 10:46 pm

Agree with Hans, this appointment is better than Arteta

Now people will always judge him from that Barcelona game alone and yes it looks bad but do remember his team hammered that Barcelona team 4-0 at home as well, Barcelona also got smashed by Roma this year in similar fashion. I like him cause his ability to adapt and maximize the results with what he had at Seville. During his tenure there, players in and out every summer and somehow he managed to win everytime playing good football, now granted it’s EL but we just lost one and next year we will be in one.

Tbh after PSG, his stock crashed hard, he humbled and probably has a point to prove at Arsenal. Seriously if he’s fresh out of Sevilla, us fans will be all over him right now, PSG left bad mark on his resume despite winning league regularly.
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Mon May 21, 2018 10:48 pm

I have a feeling that Mohamed Elneny might thrive and kick up a notch or two in our estimation. He's already a decent center mid worker bee who shows discipline and caution. But now that he's hitting prime years, and will be getting coached by Emery, I think our new #4, also the best Egyptian footballer in the Premier League Wink might evolve into a really crucial defensive mid. Going on a hunch and calling it now. If I'm wrong in 6 months' time, well, who cares.

I am neither angry nor excited by Emery's appointment. I'm surprised, given all the Arteta talk ... and curious what really went down behind the scenes. But once it's made official, I will give Emery my backing and hope he succeeds at Arsenal big time.
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon May 21, 2018 10:53 pm

This pretty much tells you how much of a guesswork there was in the media lol. And those Internet Bullshit Artists Laughing

This is the best decision club has made since hiring wenger in 1996. In 10 years time we will be talking about whether Emery has surpassed Arsene by winning multiple CLs and PLs.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon May 21, 2018 11:05 pm

Look at this ffs

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Mon May 21, 2018 11:15 pm

Lovely stuff!

He even hates Mourinho bounce cheers banana drinking

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3277/la-liga/2010/12/20/2269947/valencia-coach-unai-emery-jose-mourinho-is-a-cry-baby
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon May 21, 2018 11:18 pm

Wonder what kind of players he would want at Arsenal

Hoping for dark, gritty, no nonsense players.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Mon May 21, 2018 11:22 pm

Xhaka-Elneny double pivot with Ramsey in #10 role and Kolasinac left wing in big games.yikes
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Mon May 21, 2018 11:29 pm

Two tanks in midfield would be lovely.

N'Zonzi - Xhaka double pivot :bow:
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Mon May 21, 2018 11:34 pm

Funnily enough, the Emery news first emerged in the Daily Mail. I completely dismissed it for that reason. Then Balague followed up and gave it a bit more credence (I'm more tolerant of him after the Aubameyang signing). Then boom, Ornalce comes out with it. Laughing

I suspect we'll never know the exact process. Some reports suggested Arteta wanted more control over transfers than what Arsenal were offering. Others reckon Gazidis got cold feet over it and contacted Emery late on in the process. My own theory is that Arsenal had been talking with Emery all along but were keeping it closely guarded while leaking bits about Arteta. Or maybe the leaks came from Arteta's camp? Either way, it's a good reminder that the press can often get ahead of itself and that things can change very quickly in football, making old stories look way off the mark.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Mon May 21, 2018 11:40 pm

Used to laugh at Balague but he is Tier 1 for Arsenal since Sanllehi's appointment, it's clear that he gets Arsenal news from him or someone around him. We need to look out for him in the transfer window.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 19 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next