Nishankly
Hapless_Hans
Art Morte
RedOranje
McAgger
23 posters

Page 3 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Go down

Summer Transfer Window 2016 || Klopp Loses His Virginity - Page 3 Empty Re: Summer Transfer Window 2016 || Klopp Loses His Virginity

Post by rwo power Tue May 17, 2016 6:26 am

Well, I can't remember that he has real weaknesses there. His main weakness is probably his passing, but when it comes to reflexes and 1vs1 situations, he is really good.

And the last two seasons, he held 6 of 12 penalties that were shot against him. I think I remember that in the Mainz forum there was a saying "Chuck Loris saves penalties even in the dark" XD

rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Summer Transfer Window 2016 || Klopp Loses His Virginity - Page 3 Empty Re: Summer Transfer Window 2016 || Klopp Loses His Virginity

Post by Hapless_Hans Tue May 17, 2016 10:58 am

I have to agree a bit with RedO here.

The goalkeeper position is a difficult, highly political position.

I've made a post along those lines when most of you guys were ready to declare Klopp an idiot for renewing, and continuing to start Mignolet in winter.

I said that that if, as a new coach, you change the gk and he makes mistakes (as most gks make, especially new/young ones) these mistakes are on you in the eye of the fans.
It's a risky and tricky thing to do with regard to your political capital as a manager.

I could well see Klopp continuing to kepp Mignolet in place as the official no. 1 for a while, even if I have no doubt Klopp is long term, and also as quickly as possible, hoping to have a well-performing Karius as starter.

Maybe a split job league/cup games like at Barca, and then finish the change after Mignolet *bleep* up a few times, which he will.

Who knows. The right thing to do of course would be to bench Mignolet. The guy did enough mistakes to not be able to complain.
But as I said, you do it, then Karius makes a couple of mistakes (which really would be a normal thing) and you've got a problem with considerable potential for toxicity on your hand. GK position is a bitch.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sat May 21, 2016 5:17 am

I think we'll try and get most of our signings done asap / nice and early.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Sat May 21, 2016 10:14 am

I think Hapless and RedO have it right, here. Assuming it's Karius that's coming in, he likely deserves to start over Mignolet. However, the smart play may actually be to persist with Migs for a while.

Mignolet is simply not good enough over the course of a season. There are simply too many instances of his errors leading to goals and, subsequently, dropped points.  However, he has the potential to be passable, and even good, in short samples. Playing him to start the season (with Karius getting the occasional start in the league and cup games) would not be the end of the world, especially if we assume the defense will be improved over the course of the summer.

What's the benefit...? Well, it keeps Karius out of the spotlight until he has time to settle, both on the pitch and off. Moreover, this gives Mignolet the "fair chance" he needs to retain any semblance of confidence, and keeps him from pushing for an exit. The intended result: we get a young keeper capable of holding the position for years to come, and we retain a capable backup keeper (something we haven't had in years).
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sun May 22, 2016 3:07 am

Honestly if Mignolet was considered a backup and not a starter, he'd be the best back up gk in the league.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sun May 22, 2016 3:32 am

Don't call me James wrote:Honestly if Mignolet was considered a backup and not a starter, he'd be the best back up gk in the league.

It could be argued Begovic is better.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sun May 22, 2016 3:49 am

It could be agued, but it will come to a matter of preference. I personally think Mignolet is better than Begovic and I thought the same when were close to signing one of Begovic/Mignolet.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Sun May 22, 2016 9:51 am

Like most of us, I've been pondering this summer's transfer strategy for a while now. Below is my take (personal opinion mixed with commonly reported targets) on the general approach to the transfer window

Additions (ordered by squad need):
CB - Jonathan Tah/Antonio Rudiger/Niklas Sule (£15-20m)
GK - Karius (£5-7m)
CM/DM - preferably Geis/Goretzka/Neves (£25m), seemingly more likely Zielinski (£10-15m)
ATT - Mario Gotze (£20m)
LB - Chillwell (£3-5m)
RB - ??? (£5-8m)
Total Gross Spend: £58-78

Returning/Arriving:
Matip*
Markovic*
Grujic*

Departures (Potential):
Allen - £7-10m
Benteke - £20-25m
Balotelli - £10-15m
Skrtel - £5m
Lucas - £5m
Texeria - £3m
Ilori - £5-8m
Total Gross Income: £55-71m

Net: Between £13m profit and £25m spent

Strikers: Sturridge, Origi, (Firmino), (Gotze), (Ings)
AM/SS: Fimino, (Gotze), (Coutinho), Lallana, (Markovic), Ings, (Ibe)
Wingers/Wide-AMs: Gotze, Coutinho, Markovic, Milner, Ojo, Ibe, (Ings), Canos(?)
CM/DM: Can, Henderson, Geis/Goreztka/Neves (Zielinski), Grujic, Stewart, (Milner),
LB: Moreno, Chillwell
RB: Clyne, New RB, (Ibe?)
CB: Sakho (when/if available), Tah/Sule/Rudiger, Matip, Lovren, Toure(?)
GK: Karius, Mignolet, Ward (if not on loan)

Now, obviously, not everything goes perfectly to plan. I'm sure we will miss out on targets, fail to move players, and adjust our strategy based on the situation. Moreover, the list of potential departures is awfully large, and may be spread over the course of a few windows.

In addition, not all of these players will come straight into the first XI. There certainly will be some that will be incorporated immediately. However, some changes need a little bit more cautious approach, with players being phased in more gradually. It's certainly possible (and potentially wise) that players such as Mignolet and Lovren could start the season in the first XI, despite "better" players in the squad.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Tue May 24, 2016 12:58 pm

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/loris-karius-become-liverpools-new-11380434
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Tue May 24, 2016 4:35 pm

Table:

In:

Grujic: 5.1m
Matip: Free
Karius: 4.7m

Out:

Jose Enrique: Released
Daniel Cleary: Released
Jordan Rossiter: Rangers: 250k
Daniel Trickett Smith: Free: Sacramento
Jerome Sinclair: Watford: Tribunal (3-4m)
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Wed May 25, 2016 1:49 pm

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/germany-boss-backs-mario-gotzes-11384968 :coffee:
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Fri May 27, 2016 4:20 pm

I'm a bit worried about the lack of real quality players linked with us.

The likes of Brahimi and Mane sounds like the same bs under the transfer committee we've being going through.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Sun May 29, 2016 9:32 am

Can't say I understand the hate for the transfer committee. Despite conflict with the manager's targets and agenda, the club managed to bring in Coutinho, Sturridge, Markovic, Sakho, Emre Can, Origi, and Firmino. If we pluck a few more targets like that this sumer, I'll be pretty pleased.

As for Mane, he actually ticks a lot of the boxes we need. He's an attack-minded winger/wide-forward, he's a speed-merchant, and he has an eye for goal. Now, his value compared to his reported price tag is certainly a discussion worth having. However, he fits the profile of what our attack is missing. Mane, Markovic, and Lallana (with Milner filling in for certain situations) would certainly give us an attack with options enough to adapt to nearly any defense.

As for Brahimi, I can't claim to have watched/researched enough of him to judge what he would bring to the squad. The rumored price seems exorbitant, but that's to be expected for English buyers in this window.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Tue May 31, 2016 10:37 am

Brahimi was one very real and serious candidate for us last summer before Pep settled on Costa.
Brahimi is great.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:40 am

Btw hope we sign Rosicky for 1-2 years now that he's a free agent. One of my favorite players. He could play all the minutes that was wasted on Ibe, Teixeira etc.

Heck he's better than Lallana at 35 still.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:51 am

He played 19 minutes this season xD
I also admire him, but no. Too old.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:13 am

He was an absolute machine of a player, but there is a reason Arsenal let him leave. Guys injury record is as worse as Fabio Aurelio's. Sad
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:28 pm

I guess Yacine Brahimi is now standing in for Mario Götze hmm . But he is nowhere near him and actually two years older than the German.

I keep hearing good words for Mahmoud Dahoud, but is he (just 20) the best solution to our midfield problems?
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:39 am

You can't have Dahoud. No way.

Gladbach already sold Xhaka, they won't sell Dahoud too.

And when the time comes that they do, he'll not go to Liverpool but to a club like FC Bayern.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:35 pm

We still really haven't addressed key positions, But the transfer window opens in July. Long time to go.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:26 am

Nishankly wrote:We still really haven't addressed key positions, But the transfer window opens in July. Long time to go.
I think the lack of signings right now could be a good sign. it probs means that the players we are trying to sign are away at the euros at the moment which means they are not more 18yo kids that we hope will be good in 5 years
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:29 pm

£9.5m Bid for Zielinski

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/12/liverpool-bid-piotr-zielinski-udinese

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-make-95m-bid-piotr-11461054
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:54 am

I guess we will need a CB. With Toure already gone, Skrtel to follow and Sakho facing a lengthy ban; we are left with just two senior CB.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:47 am

iftikhar wrote:I guess we will need a CB. With Toure already gone, Skrtel to follow and Sakho facing a lengthy ban; we are left with just two senior CB.

Sakho is not banned. He's been cleared to play.

Matip, Sakho, Lovren, Gomez, Ilori is enough next season with no Europe. Can and Lucas can also play there.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:11 pm

Don't call me James wrote:
iftikhar wrote:I guess we will need a CB. With Toure already gone, Skrtel to follow and Sakho facing a lengthy ban; we are left with just two senior CB.

Sakho is not banned. He's been cleared to play.

Matip, Sakho, Lovren, Gomez, Ilori is enough next season with no Europe. Can and Lucas can also play there.

Liverpool Echo wrote:However, if UEFA were to issue Sakho with a further ban then Klopp would have to dip into the market to strengthen his backline options.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:00 pm

Any logical governing body would not issue a further ban after clearing a player to play, and doing it in time for selection to a major competitive tournament. Now, as I used the qualifier "logical", the statement doesn't necessarily apply to UEFA.

That said, I'm not sold on a Lineup of Sakho, Matip Lovren, Gomez, and Ilori. Given the indications at the end of last season (when we were using Skrtel and Lucas as a CB pairing ahead of Caulker and Ilori), I have a hard time seeing Ilori with a future at the club. I hope that I'm wrong. I hope that Ilori was simply being protected and placed on a similar strength regime to that which saw Origi progress so impressively. (Goodness knows he could use a bit more size.) However, if I were to go clearly on the manager's selection preferences, I'd say his days at the club are numbered.

That leaves us with 3 established first-teamers and Gomez. Your comfort level with that lineup likely hinges on your faith that Gomez is ready to be a semi-regular PL CB. I'm not yet convinced. I think he has a very bright future, and he might have been ready had he not just spent the majority of the season sidelined by injury. Therefore, I would like to see another CB come in, preferably a physically dominant, right-sided CB.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next