Lionel Mesxit: 'The national team is over for me'

Page 6 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Re: Lionel Mesxit: 'The national team is over for me'

Post by Cruijf on Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:51 am

Typical GL drama queens Laughing

Half the team quits but of course let's spend 5 pages hyperventilating about how Messi alone is a pussy :facepalm:

If Argentina even plays in 2018 (BC was saying before the final there was a very real chance they wouldn't because of legal issues with the federation) all of these players will be there, no doubt about it. This is some sort of internal political battle boiling over.

Cruijf
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 on Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:52 am

so sad that almost half of argentinian players retire if true........... Sad

even dybala & co will struggle heavily to make argentina play like argentina

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter is Coming on Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:15 am

They didn't. I personally don't see Masche retiring that guy is leader. There is more behind this, Messi may not be a leader, but I don't think he's a quitter, if he wanted to quite he could've done that awhile ago.

"I pass and I move, I help you, I look for you, I stop, I raise my head, I look and, above all, I open up the pitch...The one who has the ball, is the master of the game...That's the school of Joan Vilà, of Albert Benaiges, of Johan Cruijff, of Pep Guardiola" - Xavi

Winter is Coming
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Glory on Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:18 am

One way or the other something needs to change for Argentina NT. This shit cant go on forever. All those talent getting wasted time and again. Dont care honestly if all of them leave. Needs fresh blood and been saying that for ages.

And it will do the NT a world of good if players who are acually playing together are selected. Like players playing in Argentina.  There must be abundant talent in them. Its so shitty none of them gets a look in cos they are playing for local clubs. Take the case of Fuenes Mori. The guy played last season for frickin Everton that had a horrendous defensive record. And yet he is playing in the NT somehow as a starter. Its like if you move to Europe you will get selected however shit you are.
So this needs to change. Same with Brazil. Its so saddening to see these teams failing like this and piss NTs like Chile repeatedly winning silverware.
So honestly dont care if Messi has done this. Yes he was excellent this tournament and was actually giving everything he had. But its for the best. A win-win. Relying on one player like this simply wont do.

Last edited by Glory on Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter is Coming on Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:22 am

It needs a new manager, am I the only thinking had Simeone managed them they'd win at least one of those 3 finals?

"I pass and I move, I help you, I look for you, I stop, I raise my head, I look and, above all, I open up the pitch...The one who has the ball, is the master of the game...That's the school of Joan Vilà, of Albert Benaiges, of Johan Cruijff, of Pep Guardiola" - Xavi

Winter is Coming
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Micah_12 on Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:25 am

There has always been this argument about Messi's failure in the NT is due to his lack of true allegiance to Argentina, having moved to Spain at the age of 13 and spent most of his life there. This argument was always brushed off and overlooked but I'm starting to believe it, considering Messi's decision to retire at 29. What do you guys think?
Micah_12
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin on Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:29 am

One of the biggest cowards i have ever seen, Fraudiola's cowardice must've rubbed off him during those years, unbelievable decision, guy is useless without Xavi/Iniesta/Suarez holding his hand

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy on Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:34 am

It's not that... at NT, you can't play the same way as you play for an elite club because an elite club has very few imperfections and it is setup to cater to you.  At NT, you have to compensate for the shortcomings and deal with it... it's a much purer form of football imo because no team has a quasi-insurmountable talent advantage.  Even if a team is super talented, they don't practice or play together every day for months... so you need to figure things out on the pitch.

The all time greats welcomed the unique challenge that is NT football and thrived in it.  They saw it as a challenge that they needed to overcome to achieve greatness.

Messi is too much of a mental and emotional midget to handle the challenge.

If his retirement sticks, he's not even a top 10 player of all time for me.

Last edited by sportsczy on Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total

World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Micah_12 on Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:49 am

sportsczy
Agreed, but you cannot deny the efforts of the coaches including Batista and Martino mimicking Barca tactics to try to get the best of Messi and make him comfortable. Very disappointing decision indeed!!

- Mascherano and Aguero have also announced retirement, Good lord. What is this madness?
Micah_12
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by The Demon of Carthage on Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:53 am

Unbelievable?! He really quit!! My god what a coward!

Thomas Edison made 1,000 unsuccessful attempts at inventing the light bulb before succeeding. His teachers said he was "too stupid to learn anything." Did he quit? No.

You're getting paid millions upon millions and you quit just because your national team isn't as conveniently set as Barça and you're unable to adapt?

This feels like a 5-year old throwing a tantrum and making excuses to quit and not cope with pressure.

Just like sports said, if his retirement sticks, he's not even a top 10 player of all time for me.

The Demon of Carthage
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja on Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:03 am

@Harmonica wrote:Zidane is also fake nt-player, been carried by superior teams, for him to steal all the glory at the end. Messi is really different, carries dysfunctional team to brink of titles, yet gets all the blame for his team for not winning.

Then again Messi is the Dark Knight.

A champ's guide to high pressure penalties

World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja on Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:21 am

He doesn't have what it takes. It's moments like this that define champions, winners. You can have all the skills but he lacks that fire inside that would take him to the next level. He's the best footballer I've ever seen on level with peak R9 but he doesn't have the attitude to stand out in the hardest moments. And I can't regard any moment in his Barca career as hard and intense since he has always been assisted by special players such as Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Xavi, Iniesta, Suarez, Neymar.
He flopped in 2014, last year and today. Can't put the blame on scrubs like Di Maria, Aguero or Pipita as nobody expected anything from them. It was Messi that one and he failed.

World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:58 am

@The Demon of Carthage wrote:
Just like sports said, if his retirement sticks, he's not even a top 10 player of all time for me.

Rightttttttt

I'm interested to hear who those 10 players are lol, i'm shocked by this but the overreaction is probably more hilarious than the retirement itself.

Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja on Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:11 pm

On a side note, Aguero is a disgrace. Biggest fraud of the decade by a margin.

World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner on Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:13 pm

lol let the man do what he wants to do. Y'all crying over something which won't impact y'all

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica on Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:25 pm

@Valkyrja wrote:
@Harmonica wrote:Zidane is also fake nt-player, been carried by superior teams, for him to steal all the glory at the end. Messi is really different, carries dysfunctional team to brink of titles, yet gets all the blame for his team for not winning.

Then again Messi is the Dark Knight.

A champ's guide to high pressure penalties

Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 on Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:02 pm

I am surprised and severely disappointed.

I engage in some banter and trolling when it comes to Messi, but I always admired him. If you take into consideration my attitude towards Argentinean players in general, I freakin loved him.

And now he freakin retires because he keeps on losing Laughing Laughing :facepalm:

You pussy try to change that while you still have the power to do so :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: Retiring at NT at 29, wow you really disappointed me Leo.

And yes I also count the other losers retiring as pussies too but since Messi is the one I held in the highest regard wayyy above anyone else damn right I'm gonna single him out.

Invisible Smilies 2012. Join the campaign.
M99
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy on Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:11 pm

@Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:
@The Demon of Carthage wrote:
Rightttttttt

I'm interested to hear who those 10 players are lol, i'm shocked by this but the overreaction is probably more hilarious than the retirement itself.

Here you go:
-  Pele
-  Cruyff (who lost 10x more than Messi with NT yet fought until he couldn't fight any longer)
-  Platini
-  Zidane
-  Beckenbauer
-  Di Stefano
-  Bobby Charlton
-  Maradonna
-  Eusebio
-  Garrincha

And at this point, i rate Iniesta and Xavi than I do Messi... so maybe he doesn't even make my top 20.

World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Cruijf on Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:22 pm

Messi not top 20 rofl

You're a load of knee jerkers and idiots :facepalm:

And saying Cruijf fought until he couldn't Laughing

This is the guy who played a grand total of one tournament with his national team and then quit. I can give him 78 because of this kidnapping nonsense but why didn't come back after that?

Honestly the brainless in this thread is pathetic. Not to mention like has been said before this is not Messi making an individual decision but clearly a number of players sticking it to the federation at once.

But even if he was a pussy quitting because he was too afraid to play in the WC, how does that effect his legacy? Who cares? Cruijf won jack with the NT and only played one tournament and is still one of the best players ever. Not to mention NT football nowadays is so much worse than club football it's basically irrelevant.

I don't understand why you lot act as if Messi has personally betrayed you. Who cares whether he plays for Argentina or not? He's always been a legend for Barca first and foremost.

First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra on Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:24 pm

Messi joins the fight against the concept of nations, what a LAD Molenation
zigra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Ajax

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra on Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:27 pm

Cruijff was 33 and playing for Washington Diplomats in 1980 to be fair.
Agree in general though. Strange to use Cruijff of all people for that comparison tbh.
zigra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico on Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:28 pm

Wow some of the pure hatred and vitriol in this thread is incredible. It's a completely understable statement from Messi, for years people have been saying "If I were treated like Messi I would have stopped coming a long time ago". The endless comparisons with Maradona, the pressure to win something since he was 18, losing 4 finals, the fights with AFA (a few days ago he said "ask me after the tourney is over and I'll tell you what I really think of them, we need an FA that is at least as capable as the rest of them"), the manner in which we lost the last 3 finals, the constant insults... Who can blame him for wanting to quit? Especially in the heat of the moment? And with several other players saying they're considering the same thing?

He'll be back though. We'll fire Martino, reform AFA, get rid of the Agüero's and Higuain's, and play a few qualifier games, and he'll be back by Russia.

Admin

Club Supported : River Plate

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon on Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:30 pm

How is this clearly not Messi making an indivdual desicion? Who is sticking anything to the federation?

Only Messi quit, and he didnt say anything about the federation. He just said that the national team wasnt for him and that it is incredible that it hasnt worked for him.

Aguero said that everyone must keep going. Then AFTER Messi quit he said that he is not the only one feeling like that and many of them question their stay, that he had never experienced a worse dressing room and that this was harder than the other losses in finals. He said that this wasnt the time for desicions.

Romero as well said that he thinks Messi was just frustrated and that he might not mean it.
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy on Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:31 pm

@zigra wrote:Cruijff was 33 and playing for Washington Diplomats in 1980 to be fair.
Agree in general though. Strange to use Cruijff of all people for that comparison tbh.

You realize that Cruyff's family was held hostage before the 1978 WC and told that, if he played the tournament, they would be killed.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/apr/17/newsstory.sport

I mean come on. Nobody is trying to kill Messi and his family, forcing 24/7 police protection Laughing

World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:32 pm

Now that Messi has gone on record with his intention to end his international career, several of his long-time international colleagues could follow. Sources have told ESPN's Diego Monroig that Sergio Aguero, Javier Mascherano and Lucas Biglia are also planning to retire. Additionally, Ever Banega, Ezequiel Lavezzi, Angel Di Maria and Gonzalo Higuain are also considering their international futures, according to multiple reports.

If that happens lmao rofl

It probably won't though.

Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra on Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:33 pm

@sportsczy wrote:
@zigra wrote:Cruijff was 33 and playing for Washington Diplomats in 1980 to be fair.

You realize that Cruyff's family was held hostage before the 1978 WC and told that, if he played the tournament, they would be killed.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/apr/17/newsstory.sport

I mean come on. Nobody is trying to kill Messi and his family, forcing 24/7 police protection Laughing

It's common knowledge I think. But we were talking about post 1978. Like 1980.
zigra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next