CBarca
Cruijf
S
Doc
RealGunner
59 posters

Page 7 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Lionel Mesxit: 'The national team is over for me' - Page 7 Empty Re: Lionel Mesxit: 'The national team is over for me'

Post by zigra Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:33 pm

sportsczy wrote:
zigra wrote:Cruijff was 33 and playing for Washington Diplomats in 1980 to be fair.
Agree in general though. Strange to use Cruijff of all people for that comparison tbh.

You realize that Cruyff's family was held hostage before the 1978 WC and told that, if he played the tournament, they would be killed.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/apr/17/newsstory.sport

I mean come on. Nobody is trying to kill Messi and his family, forcing 24/7 police protection Laughing

It's common knowledge I think. But we were talking about post 1978. Like 1980.

zigra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Lionel Mesxit: 'The national team is over for me' - Page 7 Empty Re: Lionel Mesxit: 'The national team is over for me'

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:33 pm

Agüero said "several of us are considering the same thing". What are you talking about? Messi is obviously not going to go into a point by point argument about why he is leaving as he is distraught and crying but eventually an explanation will be given. He has criticized the FA throughout the tournament though and it's clear that he is speaking for the entire team there.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:35 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:
Now that Messi has gone on record with his intention to end his international career, several of his long-time international colleagues could follow. Sources have told ESPN's Diego Monroig that Sergio Aguero, Javier Mascherano and Lucas Biglia are also planning to retire. Additionally, Ever Banega, Ezequiel Lavezzi, Angel Di Maria and Gonzalo Higuain are also considering their international futures, according to multiple reports.

If that happens lmao rofl

It probably won't though.

Only Messi and Biglia would be missed to be honest
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:38 pm

Can't tell if being srs or not tbh hmm

Although i have hardly watched Argentina since the WC.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:42 pm

Serious. Tired of Di Maria who gets injured every time. Agüero and Higgy who get tired of scoring for their clubs but can't do it for Argentina (Higgy I feel a little bad for but he's had 3 chances...). Banega and Lavezzi are past it and this was their last tournament anyways. Time to give the new generation a shot. Players like Kranevitter, Dybala, Icardi, Lamela, Calleri deserve a chance.

Masche I would miss, forgot about him.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:42 pm

Icardi, Vangioni, Dybala, Musacchio, Correa, Ansaldi, etc Argentina will be fine
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by S Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:47 pm

I don't know why Mascherano was stripped of captain's armband. If there's one leader in Argentina NT, its him.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:55 pm

S wrote:I don't know why Mascherano was stripped of captain's armband. If there's one leader in Argentina NT, its him.
Because Argentina were playing like shit when he was captain.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:17 pm

who remembers when the late great agnelli then juve's owner or director called baggio a sinking rabbit (or it may have been a drowning rabbit) after baggio missed that pk at usa 94. and i believe baggio was playing for juve at the time....talk about being criticized. anyways there's always a chance messi will come back. for some reason, i don't think he'll just retire
titosantill
titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:22 pm

he probably just needs to clear his head, i'm not sure one can blame him for leaving. take some time off, and return, its not like the national team won't accept him back
titosantill
titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:27 pm

The ironic thing is, Argentina were still very much in the shootout even when Messi missed. Messi missed a go-ahead penalty at 0-0, it didn't do anything but erase the penalty save on Vidal who shot first.

But anyways, it's nice to see that some of ya'll finally found your outlet.

What a game and tournament from Messi :bow:

I think Aguero, Higuain and Di Maria should definitely retire. While they avoid the criticism, they were absolutely dreadful last night and basically a non-factor throughout, yet another, tournament.

Definitely feel for Messi, it sucks to lose on penalties (second year in a row as well). He shouldn't give up, but it's easier to say that from behind a computer screen. I understand the decision, although I expect him to be at the World Cup in 2018.

Luca
J Council Master

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:10 pm

Much respect for the player he is . He kept his cool the whole tournament even when his mates were missing 1vs1 or losing their cool. He was the rock they relied on but I knew he was under A LOT of pressure when he took that PK. Not surprised that he missed but he's not to blame.
He needs a break, maybe a year and come back one year before the WC. He just can go back trashing teams in meaningless friendlies.
LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:11 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Serious. Tired of Di Maria who gets injured every time. Agüero and Higgy who get tired of scoring for their clubs but can't do it for Argentina (Higgy I feel a little bad for but he's had 3 chances...). Banega and Lavezzi are past it and this was their last tournament anyways. Time to give the new generation a shot. Players like Kranevitter, Dybala, Icardi, Lamela, Calleri deserve a chance.

Masche I would miss, forgot about him.

di Maria , Aguero and Higuain let the team down big time these last 2 years. Each for différents reasons but still. Only played great in meaningless games.
LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by windkick Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:29 pm

Mr Nick09 wrote:Messi fans who like to mock CR for being a cry baby and all, this is the biggest pussy reaction i have ever seen in my life

I mean Messi quieting the NT is huge news i it's own, and people are still mentioning Ronaldo in this? I mean jesus christ. I mean also lol at you coming in here comparing a guy quitting after giving his all in 3 finals to people laughing at Ronaldo for stomping around throwing 5 year old girl temper tantrums.

I barely came in this thread today and I'm honestly shocked at how many people are loving this. I mean I understand the wet vagina Madristas who sulk in anything that goes wrong for Messi but as a football fan you always want to see the best out there (and look at how Argentina play with and without Messi, they are almost as bad as Brazil without Neymar). I think it's a sad day for football, and I genuinely feel bad for Messi. I'm sure it's just a kneejerk reaction to feeling he let Argentina down so much after making it his life goal, but was still very sad to see his reaction. The agony of defeat is terrible. And how is Aguero, Masc and Messi accepting they fell short but Higuain hasn't retired yet? If Messi failed in peoples eyes to match Maradona, then Higuian MASSIVELY fell short to emulate Bautistuta.

Also are people still claiming people didn't care about this tournament?
windkick
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:32 pm

Yeah, I still empathize with his current predicament and understand his decision. 3 final loss in 2 years can break quite a few men. That being said, he is quitting and while his reasons are his own and I'm sure he'll share for PR purposes, the fact is he is quitting at a time where the NT can still very much use his services (despite me believing they really won't miss him much). No matter how you swing it, it looks pretty bad.

He can return though and it won't surprise me much if at all. I'm actually expecting him to change his mind.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by windkick Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:38 pm

During the qualifiers without Messi (while he was injured last season), if I remember correctly Argentina went winless. He came back and they went to the top of the qualifiers table again. He will be massively missed. He is miles better than any player on that team, your basically missing your best passer, scorer, dribbler, creator, midfielder, winger, forward all in one person.

I feel bad for his agony. I don't think it looks bad on him, if anything it shows how much he really wanted it. Not like he's quitting because he doesn't care about winning, he's quitting because he cared so much and he knows he wasn't able to deliver. Maybe I am seperating the "best player on the planet" thing with the "human thing", where I see a man who has been slowing falling apart every time he loses with the one team he wants to win with the most. And the pressure he's probably felt since he was a child to succeed or he's a failure (I mean Maradona just said to him, if you don't win don't bother coming home a few days ago), so yea I look at the look on his face and his reaction and I feel bad for the guy. I don't feel disappointed by him. he owes me or any football fan on the planet anything. He tried his best out there, no shame in that. That said, I believe it's a kneejerk, come the World Cup he will be there. That's the problem with interviewing players the second they fail, they say shit without really given it thought.

Last edited by windkick on Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
windkick
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:57 pm

windkick wrote:
Mr Nick09 wrote:Messi fans who like to mock CR for being a cry baby and all, this is the biggest pussy reaction i have ever seen in my life

I mean Messi quieting the NT is huge news i it's own, and people are still mentioning Ronaldo in this? I mean jesus christ. I mean also lol at you coming in here comparing a guy quitting after giving his all in 3 finals to people laughing at Ronaldo for stomping around throwing 5 year old girl temper tantrums.

I barely came in this thread today and I'm honestly shocked at how many people are loving this. I mean I understand the wet vagina Madristas who sulk in anything that goes wrong for Messi but as a football fan you always want to see the best out there (and look at how Argentina play with and without Messi, they are almost as bad as Brazil without Neymar). I think it's a sad day for football, and I genuinely feel bad for Messi. I'm sure it's just a kneejerk reaction to feeling he let Argentina down so much after making it his life goal, but was still very sad to see his reaction. The agony of defeat is terrible. And how is Aguero, Masc and Messi accepting they fell short but Higuain hasn't retired yet? If Messi failed in peoples eyes to match Maradona, then Higuian MASSIVELY fell short to emulate Bautistuta.

I said it earlier, this goes way beyond football, when i look at all major sports, all the greatest athletes in their respective sports, i cant recall of one that just quit because he could not win a tournament.

Could you imagine Federer just saying he would not play Rolland Garros anyone so long as Nadal is around?

The agony of defeat is horrible, no shit sherlock, did you google that?

A Champion doesnt just quit, he picks himself up and tries again, specially when he is 29 and there is potential for him to play another 2 major tournament.

Quitting is horrible, unacceptable, unjustifiable. Such a puss
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:59 pm

There isn't a comparison between the two. Messi has consistently been one of Argentina's best players if not the best player for the last 6 years or so. He's always come up big in tournaments except for last night.

Ronaldo had his crowning achievement of continuously underachieving with Portugal and then scoring to even make it to WC 2014 (why were they even in a playoff lmao). Every tournament he's underachieved and so has Portugal and every time you see Portugal advance it isn't some magic from Ronaldo, it's usually because they bore their way to a 1-0 or 0-0 PK shootout win.

Ronaldo's best years were with Portugal in 04 because he had a good team around him. Portugal are roughly irrelevant since then, and that's all you need to know.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:03 pm

Gotta admit, the title made me lol
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by windkick Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:05 pm

Mr Nick09 wrote:
windkick wrote:

I said it earlier, this goes way beyond football, when i look at all major sports, all the greatest athletes in their respective sports, i cant recall of one that just quit because he could not win a tournament.

Could you imagine Federer just saying he would not play Rolland Garros anyone so long as Nadal is around?

The agony of defeat is horrible, no shit sherlock, did you google that?

A Champion doesnt just quit, he picks himself up and tries again, specially when he is 29 and there is potential for him to play another 2 major tournament.

Quitting is horrible, unacceptable, unjustifiable. Such a puss

The pressure he's felt since he was a child clearly broke the guy. That's what I saw.

I mean you can sit there and cap on him from your computer all you want because he feels like a massive failure and decided to stop at 29, but neither you nor me now the type of pressure that lead him to that decision. It's not like you can claim it's because he isn't a champion, as the guys won a TON of trophies (in before someone calls him a over rated squad player or some shit). As mentioned in my previous post, maybe I am separating the human and football element here, but watching him brake down after every final lost was ruff and he clearly wanted it more than he could ever vocalize.

As a football fan, I can see where your coming from, you want to see a champion pick himself up after every defeat and continue trying until it's not possible. What I saw, was a man who feels that he reached that point. Sometimes you just feel like you have nothing left to give after trying so damn hard. Who knows
windkick
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:07 pm

Being a champion is also a state of mind, quitting is not something champions do. just garbage
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by windkick Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:10 pm

Way to look beyond the surface of any thing presented to you. Some deep insight you got there

Btw your sig is hilarious, because it looks like Arbeloa and not Ramos.

Last edited by windkick on Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
windkick
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:10 pm

Just so you know Maradona quit on the national team many times lol, he always eventually came back though.

Messi is hardly the first big star to do this, i wouldn't be surprised if it was a heat of the moment comment made because he blames himself for 3 consecutive final losses.

Of course if he never comes back that changes things.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:14 pm

Don't we criticize footballers from a computer all the time?
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by windkick Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:15 pm

Of course, just funnier when it's mentioned. Also I said a ton of crap in rebuttal and that's the one line you stuck with?

Also, trust me guys as I said earlier I think this news sucks. While I feel bad for Messi and I'm obviously not just up and calling him a coward/pussy for quitting, I also hope he doesn't actually quite because I want to see the best teams out there and I believe he still has a ton to give (clearly he doesn't feel that way though). I think if true it's sad day for football to see the greatest player in our generation brake down this way - that's my 2 cents

Last edited by windkick on Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
windkick
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:18 pm

windkick wrote:Way to look beyond the surface of any thing presented to you. Some deep insight you got there

Btw your sig is hilarious, because it looks like Arbeloa and not Ramos.
it's supposed to be Arbeloa

I dont think this is a situation that needs insight because of the overall context of his last few years. WHat you said above is essentially that Messi due to his gift has always had eyes and expectations cast towards him. That he was breaking down after every loss, and so this final was one to many so he quit.

So he has had a difficult time winning with his national team, so what? I think he reacted as a coward, because the arguments that you use sounds like someone who is used to winning with barca and since it's not working as well with his NT, he just stops.

@Mole, what was the context of Maradona quitting his team?
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next