Was Euro 2016 the worst international football tournament of all time?

+28
Great Leader Sprucenuce
futbol
zenmaster
nichabr
Tomwin Lannister
rincon
zigra
El Gunner
Valkyrja
S
Lucifer
LeBéninois
Art Morte
Zees
Based Bonera
danyjr
guest_07
Adit
The Demon of Carthage
Hapless_Hans
titosantill
nasir6371
Perucho21
Doc
M99
Cruijf
farfan
CBarca
32 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Was Euro 2016 the worst international football tournament of all time? - Page 2 Empty Re: Was Euro 2016 the worst international football tournament of all time?

Post by Art Morte Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:57 am

I enjoyed it. There were a lot of tight matches and that's more important to me than seeing sexy football.

Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Was Euro 2016 the worst international football tournament of all time? - Page 2 Empty Re: Was Euro 2016 the worst international football tournament of all time?

Post by LeBéninois Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:12 am

'' of all time '' Laughing since 1945 I,m sure there have been much worse.
LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:33 am

Art Morte wrote:I enjoyed it. There were a lot of tight matches and that's more important to me than seeing sexy football.

maybe you will enjoy the kindergarten tournament played by children, more competitive & drama Very Happy

when i see an official tournament like wc, euro, copa, i expect high quality football, not average quality played by amateur Very Happy

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucifer Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:53 am

Great Leader Sprucenuce tried to warn us but we were so busy in our own bubbles that we casted him out just  like Church did with Galileo. Spastics mocked him left and right, but what happens? He yet again comes out as man way ahead of the curve. For future reference I have to say this, when Mole is right he is right, but even when he is wrong he is more right than most if us.

Last edited by Lucifer on Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total

Lucifer
The Last Cat Hater.

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucifer Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:59 am

Art Morte wrote:I enjoyed it. There were a lot of tight matches and that's more important to me than seeing sexy football.

Going for tighter than sexier, that's so Art.

Lucifer
The Last Cat Hater.

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:08 am

CBarca wrote:
M99 wrote:World Cup 10 was far worse stop crying just because Ronaldo won Laughing

Knew someone would go straight to this. I was going to put in the OP to not discuss Ronaldo, but you've gone there already. I'm actually attempting to have a serious football discussion here, something it seems you're not interested. If you are, then present some basis for your opinion.

World Cup 2010 was bad, but still had a lot of great memories. Uruguay-Ghana will go down in Wold Cup history, Netherlands vs Uruguay likewise was a fantastic semifinal (in fact, the Uruguay run in general was fantastic, with Forlan dragging the team to a semifinal they just barely lost out on). Ghana run was also great, especially with the whole of Africa rooting for them.

Incredible drama for the USA as well, that Algeria game :bow:

Even individual games stand out, the Germany-England game, and indeed the Germany Argentina game (Germany put on some quality football that tournament, were really entertaining and fun to watch). Spain tiki-taka'd their way through the tournament but whereas a lot of people didn't like their football, I was enjoying watching their technical dominance and skill with the ball. Certainly one of the best WC winning squads of all time. I remember David Villa being outstanding, and Xavi too.

WC 2010 was bad, but I have some good memories from the tournament, there was some quality football on display, and overall it was far superior to Euro 2016.

I can't think of what I'll remember of this Euros. The Iceland and Wales stories were great. I think that's all I'll remember. There was no consistently great, fun team to watch (only France started to get going later on, and Germany were inconsistent themselves at times). More than just the memories, as I've said, I can't remember enjoying almost any of the football. The good games were very few and far between.

I find it perplexing that you think Ghana, Uruguay, and USA's journeys were great but Iceland and Wales were not all that. You are right about Uruguay vs Ghana, it is one of the most dramatic matches in World Cup history but yeah that was it. I don't get what was so special about the semi final. All I remember from that was Netherlands dominating and Van Bronckhost scoring that mental goal thanks to Jabulani (probably the worst ball ever created).

If Germany's individual games where they dominated opposition stood out, why doesn't games like Belgium 4-0 Hungary and Germany 3-0 Slovakia stand out? Also lets not forget group games like England vs Wales, Portugal vs Hungary and Spain vs Croatia which were ore entertaining that most club football matches I watched this season.

Spain's football and their endless 1-0 victories bored me to death. It didn't help that the football of the two finalists were so dire, Spain passed their way to 1-0s and Netherlands played like thugs the entire tournament. Spain had great players but played uninspiring football and had the referee decisions going their way against Portual and Paraguay which people forget. Germany was the saving grace of the tournament when it came to quality.

I'll remember quite a bit from this Euro. I'll remember freakin Iceland knocking out England and making it to the quarters, I'll remember Wales going to the semis after coming back from behind and smashing the hyped Belgium, I'll remember the great matches that happened, matches far greater than the ones in World Cup 10 or 90, I'll remember the tears of joy of our glorious Commandante.

I called you out for being upset about Portugal winning because you had similar reactions to Madrid winning both Champions Leagues and Leicester winning the league. Complaining about something but saying the result did not have anything to do with it. Well let me at least tell you in 100 years of international tournaments, this certainly was not the worst,
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by S Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:11 am

All i can say that this is probably the worst thread of all time.

S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:15 am

DAT meltdown. Barcaforum much ? rofl
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:47 pm

I never hid that my disgust with the CL final was Madrid winning it Laughing I'm not sure why it would be anything else. I did say it was a dire final either way, because Atletico winning it is barely any better than Madrid. They play disgusting football. Leicester I have admitted multiple times won it fairly and that I thought it was an incredible story. 69, I wish I could understand your position , but I just can't :/ sorry man

I can respond to the rest later

@Valk: agreed
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:11 pm

Get outta here Laughing WC 2010 was more memorable than WC 2014
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:05 am

^ r u serious?

WC '14 > WC '10
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:23 pm

2010 was absurd garbage. You couldn't watch games with sound on tv. Worst of all time period.

Had some decent games tbf, but all in all was a garbage tournament. In general international tournaments are usually crap. You have mostly boring games and garbage quality and a few good games. Every *bleep* international tournament is like that Laughing
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Ajax

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:39 pm

2010 was a lot worse than this. Remember also that this is a eurocup so the expectations and scope are smaller. So many games sucked, the vuvuzelas were awful, even the ball was bad and players struggled to properly control it. Spain's football was beyond boring, and the Netherlands were for once not playing a quality game. Germany, Uruguay and Brazil were the most entertaining to watch for me. Then Felipe Melo self destructed a very good team and Uruguay cheated. France, Italy and Argentina were non existent, etc.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:32 pm

WC 2010 was imo the actual worst in history purely because of the vuvuzela tragedy.

But as shit as this EURO was, and it had mostly SHIT games i'm sure there's been a few worse International tournaments. Even if you have to go back decades.

WC2010 was a lot more memorable though. Most people will have forgotten the games in this shit tournament before long.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by nichabr Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:50 pm

Lost interest when I realised a 3rd place team could win the competition.....Disgusted when it acutally happened.
nichabr
nichabr
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Demon of Carthage Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:03 pm

^ No I think you lost interest when you found out that Ronaldo Portugal won.
The Demon of Carthage
The Demon of Carthage
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Demon of Carthage Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:12 pm

M99 wrote:
CBarca wrote:
M99 wrote:World Cup 10 was far worse stop crying just because Ronaldo won Laughing

Knew someone would go straight to this. I was going to put in the OP to not discuss Ronaldo, but you've gone there already. I'm actually attempting to have a serious football discussion here, something it seems you're not interested. If you are, then present some basis for your opinion.

World Cup 2010 was bad, but still had a lot of great memories. Uruguay-Ghana will go down in Wold Cup history, Netherlands vs Uruguay likewise was a fantastic semifinal (in fact, the Uruguay run in general was fantastic, with Forlan dragging the team to a semifinal they just barely lost out on). Ghana run was also great, especially with the whole of Africa rooting for them.

Incredible drama for the USA as well, that Algeria game :bow:

Even individual games stand out, the Germany-England game, and indeed the Germany Argentina game (Germany put on some quality football that tournament, were really entertaining and fun to watch). Spain tiki-taka'd their way through the tournament but whereas a lot of people didn't like their football, I was enjoying watching their technical dominance and skill with the ball. Certainly one of the best WC winning squads of all time. I remember David Villa being outstanding, and Xavi too.

WC 2010 was bad, but I have some good memories from the tournament, there was some quality football on display, and overall it was far superior to Euro 2016.

I can't think of what I'll remember of this Euros. The Iceland and Wales stories were great. I think that's all I'll remember. There was no consistently great, fun team to watch (only France started to get going later on, and Germany were inconsistent themselves at times). More than just the memories, as I've said, I can't remember enjoying almost any of the football. The good games were very few and far between.

I find it perplexing that you think Ghana, Uruguay, and USA's journeys were great but Iceland and Wales were not all that. You are right about Uruguay vs Ghana, it is one of the most dramatic matches in World Cup history but yeah that was it. I don't get what was so special about the semi final. All I remember from that was Netherlands dominating and Van Bronckhost scoring that mental goal thanks to Jabulani (probably the worst ball ever created).

If Germany's individual games where they dominated opposition stood out, why doesn't games like Belgium 4-0 Hungary and Germany 3-0 Slovakia stand out? Also lets not forget group games like England vs Wales, Portugal vs Hungary and Spain vs Croatia which were ore entertaining that most club football matches I watched this season.

Spain's football and their endless 1-0 victories bored me to death. It didn't help that the football of the two finalists were so dire, Spain passed their way to 1-0s and Netherlands played like thugs the entire tournament. Spain had great players but played uninspiring football and had the referee decisions going their way against Portual and Paraguay which people forget. Germany was the saving grace of the tournament when it came to quality.

I'll remember quite a bit from this Euro. I'll remember freakin Iceland knocking out England and making it to the quarters, I'll remember Wales going to the semis after coming back from behind and smashing the hyped Belgium, I'll remember the great matches that happened, matches far greater than the ones in World Cup 10 or 90, I'll remember the tears of joy of our glorious Commandante.

I called you out for being upset about Portugal winning because you had similar reactions to Madrid winning both Champions Leagues and Leicester winning the league. Complaining about something but saying the result did not have anything to do with it. Well let me at least tell you in 100 years of international tournaments, this certainly was not the worst,

M99, I can safely say you won the debate. Drop the mic.
The Demon of Carthage
The Demon of Carthage
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by zenmaster Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:16 pm

I enjoyed the Euro. It had a lot of upsets , few good matches and above all there was no clean cut winner. Which for me was the most interesting thing. There was some underdogs and some high profile players teams ( Belgium Spain ). But what happend in the pitch was team which a lot of passion and disciple won. Lot of penalty shoot out which made the whole knock out thing interesting.

zenmaster
zenmaster
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:32 pm

International football is getting worse every year. Look back at the semi-finals in Euro 2000.

GOAT France team with Zidane, Vieira, Thuram, Blanc, Deschamps, Henry etc.

GOAT Italy team with Maldini, Nesta, Cannavaro, del Piero, Inzaghi ...

GOAT Netherlands team with van der Sar, Bergkamp, Kluivert, Stam, de Boer ...

Portugal led by prime Figo and Rui Costa.

Now compare to Euro 2016 semi-finals. Best team on paper was Germany and we don't even have a striker or any capable fullbacks, Draxler is our best out-and-out winger and past it Schweinsteiger is leading the central midfield. Let's not even talk about the quality of Wales and Portugal. rofl

International football has declined incredibly. The only enjoyment is scrubs (Iceland, Wales) making it far à la Premier League.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:55 pm

When there's an actual debate going on that something was worse than 2010 I don't think you need to say anything else.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:01 pm

WC 2010 had lots of drama and talking points:
Vuvuzelas, Luis Suarez handball, Diego Forlan going HAM at old age, Ghana's quest to make history, Asamoah Gyan and the dance, first WC in Africa, Tshabalalaaaaaaaaa, Spain's uncrackable formula of possession football and stable defence.

I can barely remember what happened two years ago in Brazil besides Germany drubbing Brazil and Netherlands doing the same to Spain
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:04 pm

2010 was sleep inducing, 2014 was entertaining.

I don't really need to say anything else lol, don't really care about drama or talking points. ( i still disagree that it did but don't really have the energy to debate it)
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:04 pm

WC2010 was certainly dramatic, but also nearly unwatchable. Being the shittest horror show of a tournament is memorable in its self tbf. EURO 2016 was probably amongst the very top forgettable tournaments though. Hope my memory suppresses 75% of the games I watched because they were comprised of  slow motion PTB vs Headless chicken borefests
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by S Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:17 pm

Nothing was great about WC 2010.

Neither the atmosphere  nor the quality of the football.

Not to mention the winner who won it by playing anti-football. Plain horrible. I've never seen a more snooze inducing side than that team.

You have controversial moments in every WC. The Suarez handball caused some drama but that's about just the highlight of the WC I guess Laughing

Have to tell you though, I wish that German side had won that WC. The most entertaining Germany side I've seen in my lifetime.

Last edited by S on Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:17 pm

Tom hit it on the spot, 2010 was cancer with those vuvuzelas, plus the majority of the games were shitshows, not saying E16 was any better
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:19 pm

S wrote:
Have to tell you though, I wish that German side had won that WC. The most entertaining Germany side I've seen in my lifetime.

See that's how forgettable it was Laughing I don't even remember that at all.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next