urbaNRoots
Jay29
RealGunner
17 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

PSG Vs Arsenal - Page 4 Empty Re: PSG Vs Arsenal

Post by MJ Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:21 pm

Sri wrote:MJ, if possible please consider changing your picture Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

My pics went from Frimpong to Arshavin to Arteta. I'm afraid my dp is GL's version of the #9 shirt and I'm ruining careers Sad

MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:46 pm

MJ, please change your pic to Sanogo then.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:47 pm

PSG Vs Arsenal - Page 4 Paul-good-power

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:52 pm

Just saw super slo-mos of the red card event:
Marquinhos with that disgraceful double push, Veratti tripping over himself, and Giroud getting carded.

I guess we used up all our luck in keeping Cavani profligate, so something was bound to come around Laughing

Anyway, Giroud should never have gotten himself the first yellow in the first place, so he can learn his lesson here :coffee:

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:52 pm

Watched some highlights and analysis.

I was harsh on our midfield yesterday but the main culprit last night was Cazorla and not Coquelin. Coquelin tried his best in a role which he isn't good at but he at least tried to press and take the game forward.

Cazorla was abysmal. Game went past him. He didn't start attacks right as he was pressured off the ball. He didn't tackle right. He didn't track right. He looked lethargic and frankly his age was showing.

I don't think Cazorla has worked well as a CM in big matches in a pivot. Only times it has worked was when Ramsey was with him. I don't even think it's his fault as he was a LW turn CAM and we are playing him as a regista. Against small teams he will be great. But last night it should really have been Xhaka-Coquelin or Xhaka-ElNeny if Arsene wanted extra protection.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:38 pm

Cazorla seemed drained physically which isn't surprising, given he played the full 90 minutes at the weekend. That's also why the selection didn't make much sense. It seemed like Xhaka and Giroud were being rested for PSG but the same midfielders were deployed.

re: Coquelin, I feel bad for him. What Wenger's asking him to do is very difficult and it's clear that Özil doesn't know how to adapt to it.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:40 pm

I am not Coquelin's biggest fan but he really has become another scapegoat because of Wenger's bizarre adventures
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:05 pm

RealGunner wrote:Watched some highlights and analysis.

I was harsh on our midfield yesterday but the main culprit last night was Cazorla and not Coquelin. Coquelin tried his best in a role which he isn't good at but he at least tried to press and take the game forward.

Cazorla was abysmal. Game went past him. He didn't start attacks right as he was pressured off the ball. He didn't tackle right. He didn't track right. He looked lethargic and frankly his age was showing.

I don't think Cazorla has worked well as a CM in big matches in a pivot. Only times it has worked was when Ramsey was with him. I don't even think it's his fault as he was a LW turn CAM and we are playing him as a regista. Against small teams he will be great. But last night it should really have been Xhaka-Coquelin or Xhaka-ElNeny if Arsene wanted extra protection.

Cazorla has to his job AND Coquelin's as far as non-defensive responsibilities go. Coquelin is literally there only for his tackling ability and that's not good enough in the big games. And that's fine if the manager KNOWS his limits, but Wenger is asking Coquelin to do something he doesn't have the ability to do and that's Wenger's fault.

Cazorla faced 5 midfielders alone, no player in the world can perform in such conditions. He's a great CM but everyone needs help, and it came in the form of Xhaka and later Elneny and we saw a different kind of Arsenal then.

The thing is even the fans could predict this happen, I posted in this thread about Emery's idea to play 5 midfielders based on what he saw against Southampton and our need to match them with 3. And yet Wenger either arrogantly or cluelessly played the same midfield which struggled to break down Southampton. The man is way out of his depth in the CL and it shows every year.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:13 pm

Sri wrote:MJ, please change your pic to Sanogo then.

Wanting to destroy someone's career just because you never made it pro ffs, sadist.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:18 pm

Coquelin's role is a such a bizarre thing and something that no other club at our level or above really attempts to do. Wenger wants him to be a decoy so as to drag midfielders back and discourage the opposition press, which in theory opens up space for the centre backs to push up the field and play passes into the midfield.

But this places undue pressure on the centre backs because they have to be super good at passing out - like Hummels' level of passing out. Coquelin or whoever else gets that role (Ramsey has had it in the past) ends up taking up Ozil's space. If the ball is turned over he's too high up to help protect the midfield, and because he's taking players away he's not open as a passing option either. The only real benefit of it is that they're in a position to win the ball high up the pitch but even this is redundant if the whole team isn't pressing.

And this is why I say it's such a counterintiuitive thing for us to do. We don't want teams to press us but surely as a passing team we want to suck the opposition out so we can make more space for our attacking midfielders to play. The way we do it encourages teams to bank up and block forward passes into the midfield, so we always have to go wide to the full-backs or bring an attacking midfielder back. It also makes us vulnerable to a high press because our players are too spread apart.

So yeah, Coquelin is a scapegoat now because people think he's doing it on his own but he's not. He's been instructed to play this way.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:40 am

El Gunner wrote:
Sri wrote:MJ, please change your pic to Sanogo then.

Wanting to destroy someone's career just because you never made it pro ffs, sadist.

He doesn't have a career at Arsenal Laughing

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:42 am

If we inject some pace and sharp passing into the team, the opponents would theoretically be chasing shadows even if they pressed us. That would be a better solution than this nonsense.

I do NOT want to see my deepest mids being asked to make run ins and score goals - especially when they are not technically good enough in the final third.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4