Star Wars – Official Canon Thread. - RIP Carrie Fisher

Page 14 of 18 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Go down

Re: Star Wars – Official Canon Thread. - RIP Carrie Fisher

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:35 pm

Tbh i like Rogue One and it has highs which a lot of Star Wars films don't have but i do agree with Freeza tbh.

A shit tonne of people complained about at the characters upon release and it's pacing.

I didn't personally and i mainly find the pacing argument silly when A New Hope ( AKA lets have a robot speak to itself for half an hour the movie) is universally loved but it did happen.

Which does give off the feeling of a changed narrative.

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Posts : 60987
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars – Official Canon Thread. - RIP Carrie Fisher

Post by Freeza on Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:38 pm

@Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Tbh i like Rogue One and it has highs which a lot of Star Wars films don't have but i do agree with Freeza tbh.

A shit tonne of people complained about at the characters upon release and it's pacing.

I didn't personally and i mainly find the pacing argument silly when A New Hope ( AKA lets have a robot speak to itself for half an hour the movie) is universally loved but it did happen.

Which does give off the feeling of a changed narrative.


I have never been a guy to use the pacing argument though. I've never liked it. It feels reductive. Character work is always the most important thing for me. If that works, then the movie can be slow as all hell one moment and fast the next, as long as the characters feel real. Also Tarkin being one of my favourites from the books, Rebels etc. made me not appreciate the CGI which felt really jarring. And Felicity Jones is not charismatic enough to carry a movie.

I also like Rogue One. 7/10 for me. That last 40-30 minutes though. Almost wished it was slower paced and lasted longer.

_________________
avatar
Freeza
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 16732
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 24

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars – Official Canon Thread. - RIP Carrie Fisher

Post by Freeza on Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:22 pm

MFW when people complain about TLJ being silly

ROTJ:

_________________
avatar
Freeza
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 16732
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 24

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars – Official Canon Thread. - RIP Carrie Fisher

Post by Freeza on Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:25 pm

Also kudos for Rian Johnson forcing the J.J. Abrams face-turn Proud

Not complaining here. I love J.J. so god damn much. Can't wait to see him finish this.

_________________
avatar
Freeza
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 16732
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 24

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars – Official Canon Thread. - RIP Carrie Fisher

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:25 pm

I'm gonna go on a disgusting rant if when i see it the only possible complaint i see is there's comedy in it.


_________________
avatar
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 60987
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars – Official Canon Thread. - RIP Carrie Fisher

Post by Freeza on Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:32 pm

@Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:I'm gonna go on a disgusting rant if when i see it the only possible complaint i see is there's comedy in it.



Most of it mainly is fanboys (not you guys on here) who are mad that the former extended universe isn't followed. They're mad that everything they read in their childhoods "have been ruined". One thing in particular, which I thought was possibly the best part of the entire movie.

Most of them are 30 year old white men with "anime-lover and #gamergate" in their twitter-bios.

_________________
avatar
Freeza
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 16732
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 24

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars – Official Canon Thread. - RIP Carrie Fisher

Post by Cruijf on Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:33 pm

@Freeza wrote:Also kudos for Rian Johnson forcing the J.J. Abrams face-turn Proud

Not complaining here. I love J.J. so god damn much. Can't wait to see him finish this.


As much as I love the last Jedi, I actually do feel bad for JJ, Rian Johnson basically undid everything he wanted to do Laughing

I just hope JJ actually goes with it, it would be annoying I'd this trilogy just ends up swinging back to what TFA suggested it would be, and TLJ was just a waste.

_________________
"People say football is life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more important than that."
avatar
Cruijf
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan
Posts : 3398
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars – Official Canon Thread. - RIP Carrie Fisher

Post by Cruijf on Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:34 pm

@Freeza wrote:
@Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:I'm gonna go on a disgusting rant if when i see it the only possible complaint i see is there's comedy in it.



Most of it mainly is fanboys (not you guys on here) who are mad that the former extended universe isn't followed. They're mad that everything they read in their childhoods "have been ruined". One thing in particular, which I thought was possibly the best part of the entire movie.

Most of them are 30 year old white men with "anime-lover and #gamergate" in their twitter-bios.


What's the one thing?

I've really found all the criticisms silly, and that's speaking as someone who spent his childhood reading all the EU stuff

_________________
"People say football is life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more important than that."
avatar
Cruijf
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan
Posts : 3398
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars – Official Canon Thread. - RIP Carrie Fisher

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:35 pm

Yeah a mate of mine told me they have moved on from the original trilogy in this film and it's less black and white.

Which i personally think it's a great thing, i can understand why people wouldn't like that and obviously i don't want to know anything about it lol.

_________________
avatar
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 60987
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars – Official Canon Thread. - RIP Carrie Fisher

Post by CBarca on Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:38 pm

Star wars has always been a fun, family friendly, sometimes humorous, sometimes silly world.

It's not 2001: A Space Odyssey ffs. Going to a Star Wars movie should be fun more than anything, which is why I liked TLJ so much

_________________
Beer and guns
avatar
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Shakhtar Donetsk
Posts : 16286
Join date : 2011-06-17
Age : 21

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars – Official Canon Thread. - RIP Carrie Fisher

Post by zigra on Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:40 pm

Reading what some of you have to say about R1 now it'll be interesting to see how TLJ holds up. Freeza called R1 the best star wars film for him, now it's a 7 that doesn't even make the top3 excluding TLJ and ES has suddenly become a fan hmm
avatar
zigra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 3420
Join date : 2013-08-15
Age : 26

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars – Official Canon Thread. - RIP Carrie Fisher

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:41 pm

@zigra wrote:Reading what some of you have to say about R1 now it'll be interesting to see how TLJ holds up. Freeza called R1 the best star wars film for him, now it's a 7 that doesn't even make the top3 excluding TLJ and ES has suddenly become a fan hmm


Did he? pretty sure Freeza said that about TFA not RO.

_________________
avatar
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 60987
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars – Official Canon Thread. - RIP Carrie Fisher

Post by Freeza on Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:41 pm

@Cruijf wrote:
@Freeza wrote:Also kudos for Rian Johnson forcing the J.J. Abrams face-turn Proud

Not complaining here. I love J.J. so god damn much. Can't wait to see him finish this.


As much as I love the last Jedi, I actually do feel bad for JJ, Rian Johnson basically undid everything he wanted to do Laughing

I just hope JJ actually goes with it, it would be annoying I'd this trilogy just ends up swinging back to what TFA suggested it would be, and TLJ was just a waste.


Pretty sure he didn't undo what J.J. wanted? Do you have any source for this.

Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure the Luke reveal with Kylo was where he was going also. Same with the Rey's parents aren't important thing. When it happened it felt organic and like the only possible thing that could happen.


This is the change that fans are so mad about.
Spoiler:
Luke leaving everywhere because he had a weak moment and wanted to kill Ben Solo. They feel like it's so much against his character, despite there being 30 years between movies.

Also Luke had a lot of dark side in him in episode 6, but overcame it. It's not out of the question to assume he could've been tempted to do a bad thing. He was never really trained in the force in episode 6.

Episode 9 has a lot to still do and I trust J.J. who I quite frankly think is one of the absolute most underrated filmmakers in the world.

_________________
avatar
Freeza
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 16732
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 24

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars – Official Canon Thread. - RIP Carrie Fisher

Post by Freeza on Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:43 pm

@Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:
@zigra wrote:Reading what some of you have to say about R1 now it'll be interesting to see how TLJ holds up. Freeza called R1 the best star wars film for him, now it's a 7 that doesn't even make the top3 excluding TLJ and ES has suddenly become a fan hmm


Did he? pretty sure Freeza said that about TFA not RO.


Yeah I called TFA the best one. Still stand by that.

Rogue One I said had the best 3rd act of any movie in 2016 last year. Incredible battle. Still stand by that. That or Moonlight atleast.

_________________
avatar
Freeza
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 16732
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 24

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars – Official Canon Thread. - RIP Carrie Fisher

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:44 pm

TFA is 2nd for me atm, only reason it's not first is because of Darth Vader was a more complete character in Empire than Kylo was in TFA.

That difference makes Empire the best still for me.

_________________
avatar
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 60987
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars – Official Canon Thread. - RIP Carrie Fisher

Post by zigra on Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:46 pm

Don't @me I thought these are two separate statements.
"The last 40 minutes are the best cinema all year of any movie and it's not close. Best of any SW film also."
avatar
zigra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 3420
Join date : 2013-08-15
Age : 26

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars – Official Canon Thread. - RIP Carrie Fisher

Post by Freeza on Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:47 pm

@Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:TFA is 2nd for me atm, only reason it's not first is because of Darth Vader was a more complete character in Empire than Kylo was in TFA.

That difference makes Empire the best still for me.


When are you going? Can't wait to hear your thoughts on Kylo

_________________
avatar
Freeza
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 16732
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 24

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars – Official Canon Thread. - RIP Carrie Fisher

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:48 pm

Some time next week, i promised friends in Spain i would go with them and i don't fly out till Tuesday.

Will go as soon as i can once i'm out there.

_________________
avatar
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 60987
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars – Official Canon Thread. - RIP Carrie Fisher

Post by Freeza on Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:49 pm

@zigra wrote:Don't @me I thought these are two separate statements.
"The last 40 minutes are the best cinema all year of any movie and it's not close. Best of any SW film also."


Could probably have phrased that sentence better Laughing

I don't hate Rogue One by any means though. It's still solid. Can't wait for Solo now though. Can't wait for more "ruined childhood" comments rofl

_________________
avatar
Freeza
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 16732
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 24

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars – Official Canon Thread. - RIP Carrie Fisher

Post by Freeza on Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:14 pm

Well TLJ got an A cinemascore, which is universally liked.

Anything below A- is mediocre to bad though. People voting on stuff like this are mainly people supposed to like those movies, since they went and saw it on opening weekend. No matter how valuable the metric, an A is still pretty good.

Some other blockbusters this year:
Justice League = B+
Blade Runner = A-
Thor: Ragnarok = A
Wonder Woman = A
Logan = A-

really not a lot of nuance in these ratings

_________________
avatar
Freeza
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 16732
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 24

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars – Official Canon Thread. - RIP Carrie Fisher

Post by Cruijf on Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:42 pm

@Freeza wrote:
@Cruijf wrote:
@Freeza wrote:Also kudos for Rian Johnson forcing the J.J. Abrams face-turn Proud

Not complaining here. I love J.J. so god damn much. Can't wait to see him finish this.


As much as I love the last Jedi, I actually do feel bad for JJ, Rian Johnson basically undid everything he wanted to do Laughing

I just hope JJ actually goes with it, it would be annoying I'd this trilogy just ends up swinging back to what TFA suggested it would be, and TLJ was just a waste.


Pretty sure he didn't undo what J.J. wanted? Do you have any source for this.

Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure the Luke reveal with Kylo was where he was going also. Same with the Rey's parents aren't important thing. When it happened it felt organic and like the only possible thing that could happen.


This is the change that fans are so mad about.
Spoiler:
Luke leaving everywhere because he had a weak moment and wanted to kill Ben Solo. They feel like it's so much against his character, despite there being 30 years between movies.

Also Luke had a lot of dark side in him in episode 6, but overcame it. It's not out of the question to assume he could've been tempted to do a bad thing. He was never really trained in the force in episode 6.

Episode 9 has a lot to still do and I trust J.J. who I quite frankly think is one of the absolute most underrated filmmakers in the world.


Spoiler:
I can believe that Rey's parents were always going to be nobody, what I can't believe is that JJ intended for Smoke to die the way he did. I think on balance it was a good decision and I loved that scene, but it definitely undid all the hype JJ intentionally created about Snoke's power and significance.

As for Luke, I think that's a stupid complaint. The way it was presented felt very very natural, I think most people would have reacted the same way he did. My bigger issue isn't actually that he tried to kill Kylo, I think that made sense, it was that he ran away after and refused to rectify his mistake until the very end. But hey, Yoda did the same thing so I'm willing to overlook it, especially because of how amazing Luke's last scene was. Probably my favorite Star Wars scene ever.

_________________
"People say football is life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more important than that."
avatar
Cruijf
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan
Posts : 3398
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars – Official Canon Thread. - RIP Carrie Fisher

Post by Kaladin on Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:15 pm

Freeza i need an explanation on Nikolaj Arcel and The Dark Tower

What did i just watch

_________________
avatar
Kaladin
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 21067
Join date : 2012-06-28
Age : 25

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars – Official Canon Thread. - RIP Carrie Fisher

Post by Freeza on Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:22 pm

@Kaladin wrote:Freeza i need an explanation on Nikolaj Arcel and The Dark Tower

What did i just watch


Haven’t watched it myself. hmm

_________________
avatar
Freeza
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 16732
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 24

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars – Official Canon Thread. - RIP Carrie Fisher

Post by RealGunner on Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:42 pm

I really liked it. Thought it's a great film. But it had some parts which felt really forced. Other parts had incredible moments that kept the film up.

Stunning visuals and score as you would expect.

Story was a bit strange at times. Characters too.

Spoiler:


Going to disagree with the Kylo arc. His character development was great in TFA but it was a bit shit in this one. He went back to being a little bitch at the end. Almost like his character didn't really develop at all.

Also snoke who is supposed to be the great supreme leader dying that easily. Seems legit.

Finn's arc was terrible lmao. It was 100% they had no idea what to do with him so they made up a filler arc which didn't matter at all.

Rey was great.

Luke was easily the best part of the film. That scene where he was walking out of the door had me :bow: :bow:

Also his death was so satisfying. Still made me sad. Hope he returns in the form of yoda/obi wan from time to time.

Speaking of which. Marked the *bleep* out when Yoda came :bow: :bow: :bow: Unreal cameo.


I can see why people didn't like it. But it's mainly hardcore star war fans who would shit on it because the director wanted to take the story elsewhere. Other than that, it was a good watch. Not better than Rogue one but better than TFA.

7.9/10

avatar
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 77557
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars – Official Canon Thread. - RIP Carrie Fisher

Post by RealGunner on Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:54 pm

also

Spoiler:


I think Kylo was lying about Rey's parents. but then it can also be a good move to say that you don't have to be of a strong blood line to have force?

That kid right at the end used force. Did he get it because he was born in it or did he get it because luke died?


avatar
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 77557
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars – Official Canon Thread. - RIP Carrie Fisher

Post by Freeza on Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:06 pm

@RealGunner wrote:I really liked it. Thought it's a great film. But it had some parts which felt really forced. Other parts had incredible moments that kept the film up.

Stunning visuals and score as you would expect.

Story was a bit strange at times. Characters too.

Spoiler:


Going to disagree with the Kylo arc. His character development was great in TFA but it was a bit shit in this one. He went back to being a little bitch at the end. Almost like his character didn't really develop at all.
Please explain how he didn't have any arc. He started out scared and emotional after murdering his father in this and hiding his pain. That was the start point of the film. He then embraced his pain and tricked Rey somewhat into coming to "save" him from the dark side without ever turning. He then killed his master and seized power by himself, because he saw the chance to never he second again. Something all sith has to do at one point to reach the final step in their training.
It's the rule of 2. It's what keeps the Sith strong, the constant usurping going on. Kylo killing Snoke showed how much he had evolved emotionally since the beginning of the film. At the end when he finally saw Luke he saw his last chance to kill his past and his "hubris" resulted in him not killing the entire rebellion. It totally fit his character and showed he was consistent,
despite developing much more than before. He would've never made the choices he did with Snoke if he was still Kylo
from the beginning of the film. His relationship with Rey helped him see his true potential as a manipulator and future Darth.



Also snoke who is supposed to be the great supreme leader dying that easily. Seems legit.
Again. Hubris of sith and jedi has been set up through the entire movie and it eventually becamse the ending of Snoke. He was so confident in having Kylo "caged" just like Hux. But it ended him.

Finn's arc was terrible lmao. It was 100% they had no idea what to do with him so they made up a filler arc which didn't matter at all.
Disagree with this. It wasn't as great as other storylines, but it added a lot to the overall universe. It was essential to the end of the story. It showed how the rebellion isn't built on jedi, but on showing kindness. Rose & Finn showing kindness to the little kid was essential to show how they'd rebuild. It was a whole theme of the movie to show this. The kindness shown towards the little boy. Because he saw how jedi and the rebellion in action they can see that there's hope in the world, and something else than cruelty, which is the only thing the first order and the empire has ever shown people. This is such a huge theme in Rebels and the extended canon and it was about time it was introduced to the movies.

It might not have been the best thing about the movie, but to call it filler seems plain wrong.


Rey was great.

Luke was easily the best part of the film. That scene where he was walking out of the door had me :bow: :bow:

Also his death was so satisfying. Still made me sad. Hope he returns in the form of yoda/obi wan from time to time.
Absolutely no chance he doesn't return as a force ghost to teach Rey.

Speaking of which. Marked the *bleep* out when Yoda came :bow: :bow: :bow: Unreal cameo.


I can see why people didn't like it. But it's mainly hardcore star war fans who would shit on it because the director wanted to take the story elsewhere. Other than that, it was a good watch. Not better than Rogue one but better than TFA.

7.9/10



Responded below your comments in spoilers

_________________
avatar
Freeza
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 16732
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 24

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 18 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum