Kaladin
McAgger
free_cat
Myesyats
windkick
15 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Next Barcelona Manager Discussion - Page 3 Empty Re: Next Barcelona Manager Discussion

Post by windkick Mon May 22, 2017 6:55 am

Eusebio came out himself and said he would not take the job if offered, that he was basically just starting his current project and was happy.

Oscar Garcia is guy I thought the club would consider. He's Catalan, played for the club from the Masia and even managed the Catalan NT. He also has a pretty decent and solid record under his belt as a manager. But he came out recently and said no one has reached out to him about coming to the club.

Basically the only guy rumored is Valverde. Unzue hasn't been mentioned in any media outlet in a while now. Sampaoli was wanted by the fans, but the club itself never seemed interested and he's accepted the Argentina job.

windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Next Barcelona Manager Discussion - Page 3 Empty Re: Next Barcelona Manager Discussion

Post by Myesyats Mon May 22, 2017 11:11 am

Bartomeu: "On Monday 29 May we will announce the new coach"

I'm honestly curious to see what Valverde can bring & change. Will he mess with the formation? He led a mediocre Bilbao team that hammered us 4-0 so there's that

I hope there won't be a plot twist and its actually Unzue. That would be just a continuation of Lucho which sounds really disappointing.

Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Sat May 27, 2017 10:57 am

My thoughts on the coaches :-

Valverde - never a personal favorite but I cannot suggest anyone else right now with conviction. As for the argument that he has done very well with a weak team the football world is not very short of coaches like that. Somehow most of them fail when they take charge of a big club. David Moyes was beyond brilliant for years at Everton keeping the club so consistently at a high level in spite of spending next to nothing but then he took charge of Manchester United and after that the less said the better. Smile

Allegri - arguably the best coach in the world but still may not be the best fit for us

Sampaoli - good but maybe a tad bit overrated. He made his name when his Chile beat Argentina in the Copa 2015 final. The foundations of that team were laid by Marcelo Bielsa. Since they won the final people forget how badly Chile had played on their way to the final and how much they had been criticized. One year later a coach who is a nonentity in European football repeated Sampaoli's feat. What I do give him credit for is finding his feet quickly in Europe. Even there though losing to Craig Shakespeare's Leicester City in UCL shows poorly on him. I think the jury is out on him. Now that he has taken charge of Argentina for the world cup we will soon know how good he actually is.

Emery - adding him here since some have praised him and asked for him before. Still want him after the 6-1? I think he has his merits but is perhaps not cut out for a top team. PSG may find that out soon.

Overall I think its very difficult to say whether a coach will succeed or fail at Barcelona. Having experience at the club in any capacity certainly helps. For me this appointment has done nothing to suggest whether our next season will be a good one or not. The season remains just as much up in the air as it was before this appointment. Or in more simple terms I am just neutral about this appointment. It does not cause positive or negative emotions within me. Instead its just a case of wait and watch.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Sat May 27, 2017 11:08 am

BarcaLearning wrote:Cant help but feel this will be a major downgrade from our recent managers... starting to accept that our era has ended and Reals era now.... their midfield especially are just miles better than us now, their whole team, the way Zidane has got them to be so hungry and consistent. Not to mention together with the ref favours Flo is able to get every season ffs Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I mean if they maintain it next season, I dont know how we are going to turn things around if we dont majorly improve our midfield and defense.

I think Real Madrid are a very competent team whose squad strength is formidable but they are not a particularly brilliant team. Matches against us and Bayern Munich should have made that a bit too apparent if it wasn't already. As for their midfield controlling games I can hardly recall having seen that even once against top quality opposition. Most of the times that I can recall them having gotten the better of a top quality team it's been more about them having won in spite of their midfield being dominated by the other one. I wouldn't even dream of mentioning their midfield in the same breath as the Xavi-Busquets-Iniesta midfield of our heydays.

Last season they won what in my view is the luckiest UCL ever. This season though I give credit to them for having maintained their level and reached the UCL final again especially because they have gotten the better of much higher level opposition. That they won the league title means their consistent competence cannot be questioned. If they win the UCL back to back which has never been done nobody can deny them their place in history. However I will be left with the feeling that there were a few teams better than them who somehow fell short of this objective. All this if they win the UCL though. I am still hoping that my belief that Juventus is the best team in the world and Max Allegri is the best coach in the world will be proved correct at the end. Madrid have been a bit too lucky defying all laws of averages and their luck needs to run out right now. Twisted Evil

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by danyjr Sat May 27, 2017 12:27 pm

messixaviesta wrote:My thoughts on the coaches :-

Valverde - never a personal favorite but I cannot suggest anyone else right now with conviction. As for the argument that he has done very well with a weak team the football world is not very short of coaches like that. Somehow most of them fail when they take charge of a big club. David Moyes was beyond brilliant for years at Everton keeping the club so consistently at a high level in spite of spending next to nothing but then he took charge of Manchester United and after that the less said the better. Smile

Agreed 100%. I would have said the same about Koeman too.
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Boca Juniors

http://www.tikitakatoom.ml

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Sun May 28, 2017 7:51 pm

messixaviesta wrote:
BarcaLearning wrote:Cant help but feel this will be a major downgrade from our recent managers... starting to accept that our era has ended and Reals era now.... their midfield especially are just miles better than us now, their whole team, the way Zidane has got them to be so hungry and consistent. Not to mention together with the ref favours Flo is able to get every season ffs Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I mean if they maintain it next season, I dont know how we are going to turn things around if we dont majorly improve our midfield and defense.

I think Real Madrid are a very competent team whose squad strength is formidable but they are not a particularly brilliant team. Matches against us and Bayern Munich should have made that a bit too apparent if it wasn't already. As for their midfield controlling games I can hardly recall having seen that even once against top quality opposition. Most of the times that I can recall them having gotten the better of a top quality team it's been more about them having won in spite of their midfield being dominated by the other one. I wouldn't even dream of mentioning their midfield in the same breath as the Xavi-Busquets-Iniesta midfield of our heydays.

Last season they won what in my view is the luckiest UCL ever. This season though I give credit to them for having maintained their level and reached the UCL final again especially because they have gotten the better of much higher level opposition. That they won the league title means their consistent competence cannot be questioned. If they win the UCL back to back which has never been done nobody can deny them their place in history. However I will be left with the feeling that there were a few teams better than them who somehow fell short of this objective. All this if they win the UCL though. I am still hoping that my belief that Juventus is the best team in the world and Max Allegri is the best coach in the world will be proved correct at the end. Madrid have been a bit too lucky defying all laws of averages and their luck needs to run out right now. Twisted Evil

I really hope what u said are true too. Juve needs to deny them another CL, I just cant bear watching CR7 take 5 Ballon D'ors...

About their midfield though, first of all, I think Modric is widely considered the best midfielder for a while now, Kroos is right up there, and then Casemiro brings the perfect balance with his defensive work. U cant name another midfield today thats better. We sitll have Iniesta, Busquest, Rakatic, but for some reason theyve all declined quite a lot this season. Looking at their age, cant help but feel the rest of the teams need to upgrade in order to compete if Real's midfield can maintain their level.
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Wed May 31, 2017 9:38 am

Laporta: "As a former president, I have the knowledge to analyse the situation that the club is in, at a difficult and dangerous time."

Laporta: "It would be for the good of Barcelona if Bartomeu were to resign"

Laporta (ex-pres): "Bartomeu's kidnapped club, it's established in lies. We find an ex-president in prison & a board that doesnt stop lying"

New pres has to follow the new manager. Is playing-president a thing? Because I ship Pique for this role hmm

Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Wed May 31, 2017 2:08 pm

Well, Gamper was playing-president, but I doubt this would be possible nowadays.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:20 am

BarcaLearning wrote:
messixaviesta wrote:

I really hope what u said are true too. Juve needs to deny them another CL, I just cant bear watching CR7 take 5 Ballon D'ors...

About their midfield though, first of all, I think Modric is widely considered the best midfielder for a while now, Kroos is right up there, and then Casemiro brings the perfect balance with his defensive work. U cant name another midfield today thats better. We sitll have Iniesta, Busquest, Rakatic, but for some reason theyve all declined quite a lot this season. Looking at their age, cant help but feel the rest of the teams need to upgrade in order to compete if Real's midfield can maintain their level.

A couple of points which I think need to be clarified :-

1. CR7 will win this year's Ballon D'or irrespective of tonight's result. That is something I have given up hope on. I am still very concerned about the result though. So many things hang on it. I have said for months that Real Madrid are not a great or brilliant team. If they win tonight then however they will become that. Even if its another lucky victory they will build on it next season to become truly great and kind of unstoppable. For Pete's sake though how much luck can a team possibly have??? If Madrid are to win tonight they should be unquestionably superior on merit. All the luck should be Juve's. That is what will make it fair as far as I am concerned. Unfortunately it's not me but Lady Luck who has the exclusive right to decide such things and she seems to have been besotted with Cristiano for about two years now. If Madrid don't win then I think they will not reach a very high level and I also don't think football history will bother much with this team of theirs. So it's understandable how crucial this result is for my convictions and beliefs but that's certainly not all. There is a need for some people to finally get the ultimate recognition that I believe they so richly deserve - Buffon, Allegri, Bonucci, etc. Yes Buffon has won the world cup but in spite of that he has so longed to win the UCL for so many years now. Above all though there is Daniel Alves. He may have won three UCLs before but his winning a fourth one today is the closest thing to Barca winning it. Never forget that he may have come from somewhere and gone somewhere but he is ours forever - Barca will always be his club above any other which is where he spent his best days.

2. Second about Madrid's midfield. You are right that on paper it could be called the best midfield today. Even then it's nowhere near the Barca midfield of a few years back. Whats more important though is all this is only on paper. In practice I have hardly ever been impressed by Madrid's midfield. When has it dominated some other top quality team (and midfield)? Even aging midfields like Bayern and Barca outplayed them for most of the time. In our heydays there were a few games when top teams facing us did not have a second's hope in the entire match, so complete was the domination. I remember having used the term "NO CHANCE" for teams (and midfields) that faced Xavi and Iniesta in those days. Mostly parking the bus used to be their one and only hope.

Last edited by messixaviesta on Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:38 am

danyjr wrote:
messixaviesta wrote:My thoughts on the coaches :-

Agreed 100%. I would have said the same about Koeman too.

Thanks. Thoughts on two names I had missed earlier :-

1. Thomas Tuchel - Shockingly let go by BVB. Pep has long since recommended him as a future coach of Barca. Many believe that there is immense potential here but so far the results have not really matched up. Could we have taken a chance with him? At that time I did not want him to leave BVB but now considering his sacking I would have preferred him at least marginally to Valverde.

2. Luciano Spalletti - My personal top choice. Underrated for years but what a coach! Roma have stupidly let him go because of their Totti "God" obsession. His teams play quite consistently at a high level and his football is of the attacking attractive kind. He doesn't need much time to fix things and make them work well. The big trophies are missing but for his sake I hope they come some day soon. Barca would have been a fantastic opportunity for him. No one can say for sure but I have a hunch this would have been a very mutually beneficial relationship. Maybe some day it will happen. On an average Italian tacticians seem to be at a much higher level than coaches from anywhere else.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:09 pm

messixaviesta wrote:

A couple of points which I think need to be clarified :-

1. CR7 will win this year's Ballon D'or irrespective of tonight's result. That is something I have given up hope on. I am still very concerned about the result though. So many things hang on it. I have said for months that Real Madrid are not a great or brilliant team. If they win tonight then however they will become that. Even if its another lucky victory they will build on it next season to become truly great and kind of unstoppable. For Pete's sake though how much luck can a team possibly have??? If Madrid are to win tonight they should be unquestionably superior on merit. All the luck should be Juve's. That is what will make it fair as far as I am concerned. Unfortunately it's not me but Lady Luck who has the exclusive right to decide such things and she seems to have been besotted with Cristiano for about two years now. If Madrid don't win then I think they will not reach a very high level and I also don't think football history will bother much with this team of theirs. So it's understandable how crucial this result is for my convictions and beliefs but that's certainly not all. There is a need for some people to finally get the ultimate recognition that I believe they so richly deserve - Buffon, Allegri, Bonucci, etc. Yes Buffon has won the world cup but in spite of that he has so longed to win the UCL for so many years now. Above all though there is Daniel Alves. He may have won three UCLs before but his winning a fourth one today is the closest thing to Barca winning it. Never forget that he may have come from somewhere and gone somewhere but he is ours forever - Barca will always be his club above any other which is where he spent his best days.

2. Second about Madrid's midfield. You are right that on paper it could be called the best midfield today. Even then it's nowhere near the Barca midfield of a few years back. Whats more important though is all this is only on paper. In practice I have hardly ever been impressed by Madrid's midfield. When has it dominated some other top quality team (and midfield)? Even aging midfields like Bayern and Barca outplayed them for most of the time. In our heydays there were a few games when top teams facing us did not have a second's hope in the entire match, so complete was the domination. I remember having used the term "NO CHANCE" for teams (and midfields) that faced Xavi and Iniesta in those days. Mostly parking the bus used to be their one and only hope.

My words came back to bite me. In all honesty and humility I will firstly say that what each of us may say or think does not matter anywhere near as much as results. After such results I (or for that matter anyone else) will not question Madrid's greatness, brilliance or place in history.

Max Allegri who I thought was the greatest coach in the world and needed only a UCL to put the seal on this dropped the ball. In the first half Juventus had been at least even with Madrid if not better. A goal like the one scored by Mandzukic should have given the whole team confidence. Why then did they decide to play the second half so much on the back foot? Yes it's possible to rely on your excellent rear guard to carry you through but for that you need luck. What do you do about a deflected goal? It's what the maestro Xavi has called 'The price of cowardice'. At least if they had gone forward more in the second half and given their attackers more of a chance they would have less to regret right now.

Did Madrid's midfield dominate? Yes for brief spells but I have seen midfields dominate much more and for much longer without getting a deflected goal (or for that matter any goal at all) as the fruit of it. That said the results are there for all to see and there is no point me trying to argue with results.

So hereby I stop debating Real Madrid's status or their quality as a team. At the same time I will never be able to shake off this thought - who but Real Madrid could have gotten deflected goals for both their first and second in a UCL final !!! Lady Luck does have the power to create brilliance while forever consigning the likes of Atletico Madrid and Juventus to dismay and I am powerless to challenge her on that. Sad

To end on a more positive note I must acknowledge that every champion is lucky to an extent and my players (Iniesta, Xavi, etc.) have also been largely lucky when it mattered the most. For that as for the quality of football that they have played and the key difference making big match performances that they have delivered, I will forever be very grateful. Their trophy haul considering the importance of each trophy remains somewhere close to the very top in football history. Others are slowly coming close but still have a long way to reach there i.e. 1 World Cup, 2 Euros, 4 UCLs, 8 La Liga titles. That if nothing else can make me smile even on such a disappointing night. Smile

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:57 pm

Just goes to show what i feared, Real are just that good atm. They for me raped Atletico, more or less better than Bayern clearly and then raped Juve, u just cant deny it as hard as it is to grasp. Their whole team has just come together so well. Football and sport can be strange sometimes, no major personnel changes but big improvement just by the same players with other factors.

Dont know about u guys, but long term wise, football has always been in eras and cycles, fearing an Real era coming up, unless we do something dramatically good to change this trend happening at Real...
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:33 am

BarcaLearning wrote: Just goes to show what i feared, Real are just that good atm. They for me raped Atletico, more or less better than Bayern clearly and then raped Juve, u just cant deny it as hard as it is to grasp. Their whole team has just come together so well. Football and sport can be strange sometimes, no major personnel changes but big improvement just by the same players with other factors.

Dont know about u guys, but long term wise, football has always been in eras and cycles, fearing an Real era coming up, unless we do something dramatically good to change this trend happening at Real...

Not saying anything much more about your initial comments. We agree to some extent and disagree to some extent.

Just want to make a point on Atletico though. I knew as far back as last summer that this season they were bound to collapse. When a team continuously punches as far above their weight as these guys did and is then hit by immense bad luck when it counts the most and that too more than once then there is nothing more that it can do. They are human beings after all. I feel terrible for them but I accept that fate is all powerful and there is absolutely nothing anyone can do against it. So it's best to be thankful when fate does good things for you and somehow bear it when the reverse happens. No one will ever know why Lady Luck chooses to act in a certain way at a certain time, be it in favor of you or against. In a fair world I would have liked most of the luck to go the way of those who punch well above their weight and the greater struggles to be for those who anyway have a lot going for them but that's clearly not how the world works.

On a lighter note maybe Georgina Rodriguez is Lady Luck herself warming Cristiano's bed every night. How then can anyone else even have a chance against him and Madrid???  Ever since he replaced Iryna with Georgina he has been unstoppable in terms of success. Maybe that's because the former was an ordinary mortal while this one has supernatural powers. Laughing  

This second part is really interesting. Yes football is about eras and cycles but we do not know how long each era will last. In 2015 when we won the treble it did seem to many that we were starting a new era but next season we lost at a time when we were least expected to. The world suddenly realized that MSN is not as unstoppable as it had seemed. As far as Madrid are concerned yes a team which has just won the league and UCL table and made it back to back UCL victories is likely to be unstoppable now but then again no one has ever seen the future.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3