EGM -- 7.0/10
IGN -- 7.0/10

RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Star Wars: Battlefront 2 - Page 11 Empty Re: Star Wars: Battlefront 2

Post by LeVersacci Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:49 pm

Isn't that around the same what BF1 got?

If it weren't for the loot box scandal it would probably get higher ratings
LeVersacci
LeVersacci
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:16 pm

I dont’t think professional journalists would punish the game for the drama surrounding their intended micro-transactions. They were removed before the game was released, after all. It’s the consumer base that’s less forgiving.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by LeVersacci Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:20 pm

GameRevolution felt the campaign started strong but weakened as it progressed, praising the multiplayer gameplay while criticizing the micro-transactions, loot box progression system, and locking of heroes.

For EGM's review, Nick Plessas praised the multiplayer combat, balancing, and variety, but criticized the game's sustained focus around loot crates.

Andrew Reiner of Game Informer gave the game 6.5/10, writing "Answering the call for more content, Star Wars Battlefront II offers a full campaign and more than enough multiplayer material, but the entire experience is brought down by microtransactions."

IGN's Tom Marks also gave the game 6.5/10, saying "Star Wars Battlefront 2 has great feeling blasters, but its progression system makes firing them an unsatisfying grind.

Quick check on wiki hmm
LeVersacci
LeVersacci
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:43 pm

LeVersacci wrote:Isn't that around the same what BF1 got?

If it weren't for the loot box scandal it would probably get higher ratings

It's exactly the reason.

It's a much, much better game than the original tbh. It's honestly a shame that EA's greed has stifled which is actually a very good game IMO.

I do have negatives tbh, like the progression system is horrendously slow.

To use an example how you you unlock a weapons goes like this.

50 kills with said class, then 200 kills and then 500 kills and the credit output per game is too low IMO.

Dice claim they will make changes to help the progression so we'll see, but it is a grind atm but tbh grind was never really used as points against other shooters as Battlefield 1 is a much more ridiculous grind than this is and the critics love that.

My other and pretty much only gameplay related issue is and i doubt many other people will mention this but the Blaster Bolts are smaller than they should be which seems make keeping track of where your shots are firing sometimes a little difficult.

I really enjoy playing it tbh and will probably continue to do so.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:58 pm

LeVersacci wrote:GameRevolution felt the campaign started strong but weakened as it progressed, praising the multiplayer gameplay while criticizing the micro-transactions, loot box progression system, and locking of heroes.

For EGM's review, Nick Plessas praised the multiplayer combat, balancing, and variety, but criticized the game's sustained focus around loot crates.

Andrew Reiner of Game Informer gave the game 6.5/10, writing "Answering the call for more content, Star Wars Battlefront II offers a full campaign and more than enough multiplayer material, but the entire experience is brought down by microtransactions."

IGN's Tom Marks also gave the game 6.5/10, saying "Star Wars Battlefront 2 has great feeling blasters, but its progression system makes firing them an unsatisfying grind.

Quick check on wiki hmm

That makes sense, since the game was reviewed while the micro-transaction drama was at it's peak, but I'd assume they'd have to update their reviews following Disney/EA's decision to remove them completely. Otherwise, they'd be punishing the game for it's controversy, rather than actual gameplay. Seems a bit amateur-ish.

Anyways, I just got home. Let's play some CoD?
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:10 pm

No reason for them to update their reviews tbh.

They just reviewed what was given them and that's what it was, considering it's a live service game that's going to add heroes, guns, maps, modes etc etc.

You'd be updating the score every month or so, just pointless really might as well just leave it as it is and move on.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:16 pm

BTW i have zero issue with them criticizing microtransactions/loot boxes to this level just so long they remain consistent with it.

I want to see next years NBA2K for example to be absolutely shat on if it's anything like this years despite the fact like Battlefront 2 it's a good game.

But i suspect that won't happen and part of the reason this was criticized so much is because it's Star Wars and it's a beloved franchise. I suspect most games with microtransactions in their games won't get criticized to the same extent.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:42 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:

But i suspect that won't happen and part of the reason this was criticized so much is because it's Star Wars and it's a beloved franchise. I suspect most games with microtransactions in their games won't get criticized to the same extent.

hmm Far as I know, games that have non-cosmetic micro-transactions are criticised, all the same. Naturally, criticism towards more popular titles get more attention.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:49 pm

Nah reviewers never mentioned fifa, or CoD (which actually allowed you to pay for weapons in black ops 3) or NBA 2K which have been notoriously pay to win with terrible progression for years.

This is the first game the media have actually scored lower because of micro transactions, I have no problem with that in theory if they remain consistent.

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:57 am

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Nah reviewers never mentioned fifa, or CoD (which actually allowed you to pay for weapons in black ops 3) or NBA 2K which have been notoriously pay to win with terrible progression for years.

This is the first game the media have actually scored lower because of micro transactions, I have no problem with that in theory if they remain consistent.

I'm pretty sure the micro-transactions in Black Ops 3 were added post launch, so that's not very surprising. I didn't notice them until around the time when I stopped playing the game. Ultimate Team is a separate and optional game mode and I haven't heard a single person complain about it, although I personally think it's based around a negative pay model that can be potentially dangerous to someone who's predisposed to gambling addiction. i.e. it should be categorized as gambling.

Several Ubisoft games have been criticized for their micro-transaction features despite most of them being cosmetic from what I can tell, and more recently, Shadow of Mordor was criticized for their loot boxes, in addition to the game's repetitive, grindy gameplay that typically comes with games that are built around this pay model. Monolith decided to tone down on the loot box feature following massive criticism from consumers and journalists alike, and they did so well before the game was released and journalists had a chance to review the game. The loot boxes are still present in the Shadow of Mordor, but the general consensus is that they're not necessary at all. From what I can tell, none of the player base actually have a problem with them, since they're entirely skippable and quite pointless. I know you didn't have any issues with Battlefront 2's star cards in the beta, and I haven't even played that game, but a good majority of people thought it gave players a substantial advantage by adding powerful boosts to hero abilities. Since EA didn't remove this feature until just before the game was officially released, journalists had a chance to actually test them. Bottom line, EA are being punished for unapologetically pushing out these features that many considered unfair, and it took an intervention from Disney for them to be removed. You can't compare their situation to that of FIFA. You can compare it to Black Ops 3, but Activision managed to dodge a bullet by releasing their crap after the game was relatively old news.

Last edited by Thimmy on Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:00 am

Oh for sure they get criticized but i don't recall scores being taken hit before.

It's usually a paragraph of criticizing but game is good so 8 or 9 anyway. Don't get me wrong, i think they should heavily criticize things like this and drop points of the overall score.

I just want more consistency.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:05 am

I know at least one reviewer on Metacritic gave Shadow of Mordor a relatively weak score while the review was still in pending status. The review and score were later changed since the controversial loot boxes turned out to be relatively worthless. The same can't be said for Battlefront 2. For the sake of fairness, the reviews for that game should be updated as well, which is why I was surprised when you told me they haven't. Then again, the game is still very new.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:13 am

As i said with updated reviews where do you draw the line?

With games like these they'll be updated continuously for months, can't really expect reviewers to do that tbh.

I honestly don't mind just moving on tbh, game was in the state it was and was rightly panned for it even if that changes we know what EA's intent was.

Also as for other games, i'm aware there's isolated reviews which did so i'm talking about on mass reviewers all panning the use of micro transactions like here.

For NBA 2K there was one reviewer who gave it 4/10 and 2K asked him to take the review down, but most of them did the usual 8s and 9s.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:16 pm

Heard the game flopped sales wise, by it's own standards. Which is honestly fantastic as it will caution EA from being greedy pigs in the future.
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:13 pm

Considering the did the same with Need for Speed and UFC i doubt it tbh.

EA will always be EA, just ignore their games like i plan to do in the future.

Which considering Star Wars aside the IP they own sucks absolute ass won't be too difficult.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:40 pm

Need for Speed flopped, as well. You can already get it for cheap, serves them right rofl

Sorry about not being online for Monster Hunter yesterday, Mole. Fell asleep on the couch and didn't wake up until the morning after ffs.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:41 pm

Every need for speed trailer looked cringe. Like a shit version of fast n furious series lol.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:07 pm

RealGunner wrote:Every need for speed trailer looked cringe. Like a shit version of fast n furious series lol.

Yeah, I haven't enjoyed a Need for Speed game since NFS: Underground on PC Proud EA should change their slogan to "ruining childhood memories".
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:08 pm

Thimmy wrote:Need for Speed flopped, as well. You can already get it for cheap, serves them right rofl

Sorry about not being online for Monster Hunter yesterday, Mole. Fell asleep on the couch and didn't wake up until the morning after ffs.

Don't worry about it, I did very similar myself lol.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11