Turok_TTZ
First Team
First Team

http://trm.jcink.net

Back to top Go down

Christian Pulisic - Page 2 Empty Re: Christian Pulisic

Post by FennecFox7 Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:05 am

I'm so fed up with US Soccer.
It's a systematic problem, all the way down to youth soccer, to the fact that we don't even have a promotion relegation system which is a HUGE mistake (I'll explain that in a second).

A lot of you guys might not know this, but I played high school soccer, FC dallas academy soccer, and played for Dallas City FC for one year, a 5th division Semi-Pro team in the US, before I tore my hamstring and got a BAD sports hernia that ended any hopes of me playing, as well as tearing my LCL. That's when I turned to bodybuilding.

And from what I've seen, we just simply aren't doing the right things to move this country. I've been around a few MLS players (Conor Doyle, Brek Shea) and played with them.

The USA is a country with 300+ million people, and we put COUNTLESS dollars into footy. So why are we losing against trinidad and Tobago? why can't our players kick a damn ball for *bleep* sake?

THREE reasons

1. Politics
2. The level of coaching is garbage
3. Lack of a relegation/promotion system

So the first thing. Politics. Oh jesus. Remember how I said I've played with Conor Doyle? Yeah. He's absolute garbage. And yet he played with derby county, DC united among others and I'm pretty sure I have friends who play sunday league who are better players.

So why is he pro? He MUST'VE been good right? WRONG. His dad is huge in the US soccer circle of politics, he was an indoor soccer legend (indoor is pretty big here, I know it sounds stupid but seriously).

Sadly this is the case for most players I know who make it big! It's not because they're good.. it's because of who they know.

The second thing is coaching. Oh man, the amount of conditioning, gym work, and physical drills players have to do. Unbelievable. EVERYTHING except playing with the ball. Sadly, again this is a common theme in almost every youth program in the USA. play the biggest, fastest guys with negative technique, and the gifted players either warm the bench or ruin their talent by adding 25-30lbs from gym work. This is particularly evident in HS soccer. HS soccer is a cancer to US soccer.

When I played with dallas city FC, to their credit, they did lots of ball work and played good players, not rugby players. But funny enough, they are owned by almost exclusively LATINOS.
Why am I saying this? Because if the coaches aren't foreign and they're American, they have no idea how to coach and raise young soccer players!

The third thing is the amount of talent you see in the lower divisions. Boy, if there was a relegation system and promotion system, those MLS teams would be in a LOT of trouble. I've seen some incredible players play in semi professional leagues that would eat the MLS alive. But the lack of a promotion/demotion system keeps those MLS teams nice and cozy.

Sorry for the wall of text, I'm not really known to post long replies here but I'm just fed up with US soccer.

For a country THIS BIG, it's a crime that our footy team isn't as good as it is.

And I seriously feel bad for pulisic. He IS THE real deal, he's playing with sunday league scrubs. I mean seriously, omar Gonzalez literally scored a volley on his own team because he can't control a damn ball. And we have grandpa Tim Howard playing in goal.. really?

Something needs to change.
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:32 am

The biggest problem is and has always been that football just doesn't have a culture here yet. It's building but at the youth level all of the most talented athletes go to other sports (basketball, American football, swimming, hockey etc). That matters. Will that change? Maybe... I'm not sure.

In the face of not having the best athletes, as we typically do, the focus should be on development of technique and skill, but the coaching is garbage from youth level to national.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by nasir6371 Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:37 pm

nasir6371 wrote:Christian Pulisic - Page 2 Clrqm810

Only one showed up for a world cup qualifier this week Proud

GL Jinx Neutral
nasir6371
nasir6371
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Manchester City

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:45 pm

overrated. much like his nt.

Definitely not overrated.

Was involved in nearly half of all the goals we scored in qualifying since he burst onto the scene. Without him, we'd have been out months ago.

And I don't think we're overrated. Real USA fans have known for years that we are not good enough to mix it up with elite teams.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:50 pm

Pulisic is not overrated. I agree with Mclewis, most US fans know we're not much atm or in general.

To not make the world cup though, such an embarrassment. Hopefully this is a catalyst for change
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:32 pm

How can he be overrated if only Americans rate him? scratch
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:59 pm

Everyone who has followed his time at BVB 'rates' him. Fantastic young player.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by breva Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:17 pm

MLS has 22 teams going to 24 in 2020. The U.S. has a modest talent base (players that have acceptable ball skills) for football. Probably less than Belgium whose league has 16 teams. What level of play do U.S. players encounter day in day out in the MLS?

European players join a club's academy and live football 24/7 from U13 on. They attend high school under the auspices of the academy and in Italy there is one additional year of pre-university education so they do the equivalent of the 1st year of university while at the academy if they are good enough. If they crash out say at age 19 and can't get a professional engagement, even in the lowest level paying league (I think Serie D these days, but maybe Eccellenza pays something too), they can decide go to university. In the U.S. a player plays on teams that their parents have to pay money for them to play (no where near 24/7) and then goes to university to play but it is not anywhere near 24/7 soccer there either.

Watching Argentina-Ecuador I think every player on the Argentine team except 2 Boca players play on decent clubs in Serie A, Premier League, La Liga (Port), La Liga or PSG. There may have been a Zenit player too.

Except for the guy that plays for Dortmund I don't think any player on the US team plays for a top European team. Heck even the Albanian team had 5 players from Serie A playing against Italy as well as a few Bundesliga players.

What I'm trying to say, the quality of the individual U.S. players is not above average compared to even mediocre (not terrible) teams from Europe and South America going to the WC.

breva
breva
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:17 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:Everyone who has followed his time at BVB 'rates' him. Fantastic young player.

Typical. He's American so he must be trash. Rolling Eyes

CBarca wrote:The biggest problem is and has always been that football just doesn't have a culture here yet. It's building but at the youth level all of the most talented athletes go to other sports (basketball, American football, swimming, hockey etc). That matters. Will that change? Maybe... I'm not sure.

In the face of not having the best athletes, as we typically do, the focus should be on development of technique and skill, but the coaching is garbage from youth level to national.

I disagree with your first point. If you mean by "better athletes", you mean bigger, faster, stronger guys, I'm sorry but that's not how football works at all. You don't have to be tall or big or be injected with grams of testosterone and nandrolone like American football and Basketball players to be great at soccer. Look at messi, pele, etc. Football is an endurance sport with an emphasis on anaerobic endurance with an aerobic base and a HUGE emphasis on skill.

You yourself are quite lean and I'm much bigger/more athletic, but you could EASILY be a better player then me, theres no question about that. Ronaldo is a much better athlete then messi but messi is the much better player. See where I'm going with this?

The second point I agree with. Too often coaches here put you in the weight room or have you do training that's more relatable to a middle distance runner then to a soccer player. This needs to stop.

FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:20 pm

breva wrote:MLS has 22 teams going to 24 in 2020. The U.S. has a modest talent base (players that have acceptable ball skills) for football. Probably less than Belgium whose league has 16 teams. What level of play do U.S. players encounter day in day out in the MLS?

European players join a club's academy and live football 24/7 from U13 on. They attend high school under the auspices of the academy and in Italy there is one additional year of pre-university education so they do the equivalent of the 1st year of university while at the academy if they are good enough. If they crash out say at age 19 and can't get a professional engagement, even in the lowest level paying league (I think Serie D these days, but maybe Eccellenza pays something too), they can decide go to university. In the U.S. a player plays on teams that their parents have to pay money for them to play (no where near 24/7) and then goes to university to play but it is not anywhere near 24/7 soccer there either.

Watching Argentina-Ecuador I think every player on the Argentine team except 2 Boca players play on decent clubs in Serie A, Premier League, La Liga (Port), La Liga or PSG. There may have been a Zenit player too.

Except for the guy that plays for Dortmund I don't think any player on the US team plays for a top European team. Heck even the Albanian team had 5 players from Serie A playing against Italy as well as a few Bundesliga players.

What I'm trying to say, the quality of the individual U.S. players is not above average compared to even mediocre (not terrible) teams from Europe and South America going to the WC.

It's not about playing for a top team or playing for a European team though. It's about our grassroots program and our national league being absolute garbage.

Getting a work permit for playing football in Europe is also hell (I tried).
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by breva Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:58 pm

I addressed the fact that the MLS is diluted in terms of available talent.

Practicing with, and playing with and against top players day in and day is enormously important.
breva
breva
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:33 pm

It's of the utmost importance that we buy him in summer no matter the cost.
Ribéry successor right there.

Just get it done Rummenigge.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:42 pm

guedes is better bro, have you not to seen him?
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:13 am

Its harder to sign from PSG than from Dortmund.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:35 am

he has no space at PSG, they would sell, specially since they need to meet FFP
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:22 am

Mr Nick09 wrote:guedes is better bro, have you not to seen him?

Guedes can be the Robben replacement
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:42 pm

Christian Pulisic wrote:[..]
The first thing I want to say here, obviously, is that I’m not an expert. I’m sure there are a lot of people out there who know a lot more about national soccer programs than I do — and I hope those are the people we’ll have in charge of American soccer over the next World Cup cycle. Me, I’m just a 19 year old, in my first full year with the national team. So any insight that I can offer is only based on what I’ve experienced and observed in my career so far.

The second thing I want to say here is that I’m not a prodigy — or a “wonderboy,” as some have put it. I was always, you know, a decent player growing up. And yes, I was born with a certain amount of so-called “natural ability.” But I also worked and sacrificed a lot to try to maximize what I was born with — which I think is important to point out. I think it’s important to make clear, you know, that the problem with American soccer … it isn’t talent. In fact, I’m sure there are kids who are going to be reading this article who are more talented at their age than I ever was.

And then the third thing I want to say here is that I love American soccer. Which maybe sounds obvious — but I think a lot of people have this weird idea of USMNT players who have come up in Europe. They’ll talk about how we’re somehow less passionate about U.S. Soccer, or less American about it. That we’re these ringers or something — these outsiders brought in as, like, a cheat code to beat European sides. And it couldn’t be further from the truth.

It really frustrates me when people say, “Oh, he’s barely American,” or, “He grew up in the Dortmund academy,” or anything like that. First of all, it’s not true: Until I was 16, I came up through the U.S. youth system. I did all of the camps, the academies, the residency programs, the travel teams, and everything else it had to offer. I’ll always be a part of that system, and I’ll always be indebted to it. Second of all, I think that’s just a dangerous attitude in general: Having a closed-minded view of what does or doesn’t constitute being an American. And I hope it’s an attitude that we can keep out of this conversation in the years to come.

When people ask me what has been the biggest game-changer of my career — when they ask me, you know, “What’s the one thing that has had the biggest impact on your game so far” — that isn’t the easiest question to answer. I’ve had a lot of good fortune over the years: from supportive parents, to amazing youth academies, to incredible teammates, and on down the line.

But one thing that I’m not sure people realize, when they talk about my game, is just how lucky I’ve been to have a Croatian passport — and just how much of a difference it’s made for me.

As a result of my dual citizenship, I’ve been able to play in Europe, training at the Dortmund academy, since I was 16. Without it? I would have had to wait until I was 18. And for a soccer player … man, ask anyone and they’ll tell you — those age 16–18 years are everything. From a developmental perspective, it’s almost like this sweet spot: It’s the age where a player’s growth and skill sort of intersect, in just the right way — and where, with the right direction, a player can make their biggest leap in development by far.

In the U.S. system, too often the best player on an under-17 team will be treated like a “star” — not having to work for the ball, being the focus of the offense at all times, etc. — at a time when they should be having to fight tooth and nail for their spot. In Europe, on the other hand, the average level of ability around you is just so much higher. It’s a pool of players where everyone has been “the best player,” and everyone is fighting for a spot — truly week in and week out. Which makes the intensity and humility that you need to bring to the field every day — both from a mental and physical perspective — just unlike anything that you can really experience in U.S. developmental soccer.

Without those experiences, there’s simply no way that I would be at anywhere close to the level that I am today.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/christian-pulisic-usmnt-world-cup/

What a great kid
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:46 pm

Sounds like he has a fantastic attitude
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:16 pm

Have read this article several times since he wrote it. Have shared it with everyone I know that follows US soccer. Very important read. This hits the nail on the head so many times.

McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Glory Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:27 pm

Christian Pulisic - Page 2 DRrn8F_W4AE6zq0-576x1024

Proud

Just make sure to drive the 'stubborn one' out before putting a formal bid. :coffee: Dont want to see this kid playing full back, seriously.

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Glory Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:14 am

"Yeah, I was. I was definitely a big fan (of United),Of course, right now I am under contract with Dortmund and I'm not looking around or doing anything like that so I'm very focused there. But, yeah, it's cool to hear all this stuff!"

Come and get me
plea. Neutral

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:17 am

More like being nice to obnoxious, needy, mentally unstable United fans
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Glory Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:56 am

Rolling Eyes Whatever.

But yea I agree he should go to a club which he thinks suits him best. Too good a kid to wish otherwise. Shouldn’t  fall for people like Woodward who will see him first as a marketing commodity only then as a player. And with Mourinho in charge, he wont be the player he can become. As much it pains to say, he will be great under Klopp.

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:27 pm

Not you, glory

But listen to the interview:

Interviewer: You were a big fan of United as a young lad, right?
Pulisic: Yeah, sure, big fan, definitively
Interviewer: How flattering is it to hear clubs like Manchester United and Liverpool being interested in you?
Pulisic: Well I'm not planning to move right now but yeah, definitively, great to hear all that stuff

Laughing
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Glory Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:38 pm

A Chelsea player next season. Disappointed. At least didnt go to Liverpool. So, there's that.

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next