Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Goalkeeper search continues - Page 3 Empty Re: Goalkeeper search continues

Post by Hapless_Hans Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:14 am

Signed a new contract with Athletic with an 80m € buy out clause.

Safe to say there won't be a transfer to Madrid now.

Either De Gea or Courtois it is, then?
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:01 pm

Great news clause is 80 mil. He will never play for us unless he is Lev Yashin rewinded.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:23 pm

The Kepa thing never made sense to me unless he wanted to be backup for the rest of his career.. And that doesn't make sense for a young prospect like Kepa who will be fighting De Gea for minutes.

A free deal would have been nice, and freed up more money for a legitimate striker, but it was always too good to be true.

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:02 pm

Deez, the reading on Kepa is he is the next DeGea.

Granted it didn’t make sense for him to come mid season, but it would have been a battle between him and Navas to start for next season.

But this is the argument sports has been putting up that Zidane has no say in signings! The suggestion was from the GK coach, but Zidane has killed it.

So I assume the plan now is (after Zidane, Benz and probably Ronaldo and Bale are gone) is to go after DeGea or Courtois in addition to a revamped front line plus some forward backups, ideally not ex Castilla.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:23 am

I definitely don’t see Kepa as the next DDG. They aren’t even on the same planet if I’m honest. Kepa is 23 years old, by the time DDG was 23, he had already broke out at Atlético, won the Europa league, then sealed a move to Man United under SAF had a season to settle then started shutting up the dissenters ever sense- this is all still before the age of 23 mind you.

So if the only comparison you’re making is that they are both Spanish, then I agree with you, but in terms of talent: Kepa hasn’t done anything the warrant a premature move to RM, nor does he pass the eye test for me.

So like I said, I’m totally okay with this door closing- a free backup GK would have been good business for summer, but there are so many better keepers to go for it never made sense to focus solely on Kepa.

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:58 am

we are back to De Gea, or Courtois etc...

although i must say, i watched Allison vs Inter this weekend, and he was fantastic. We have been linked with him already by La Gazzetta. he is Brazil n1 ahead of ederson, and he is also very good with his feet and distribution. Not ederson or ter stegen like, but looked like the step below. shot stopping though... i really liked him
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:20 pm

Why are Spanish media intent on pushing Navas out?  He's perfectly fine imo.  We have other problems.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:24 pm

sportsczy wrote:Why are Spanish media intent on pushing Navas out?  He's perfectly fine imo.  We have other problems.

not spanish and not shiny enough
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:02 pm

Navas has been amazing for Real for so long though, not surprised though since not the first GK to be unfairly treated. Zidane should have the sense to keep him though unless he dips in form or something.
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:23 pm

What’s wrong with team trying to tie up the best Spanish talent?

It is a Spanish team and there is a requirement that a large portion of squad has to be Spanish.

It’s pretty obvious that the well has run dry or almost at the academy. So it’s natural to go after the best in Spain, typically it’s players who have made a mark on U21 or U23 seleccion.

Whether or not they all make it remains to be seen, but that foundation is much more solid than what is available in the academy.

Now as to Kepa, their GK coach is the one that made the push for him. This coach knows Navas, Casilla, hell even Zidane’s son as well as what’s out there. That speaks much more to me than some GL poster saying he doesn’t have it! In any event, Zidane has killed that prospect for Madrid. But it says here that Zidane will not have any say on what happens next summer.

As to why, what’s wrong with Navas, go back and look over the past 2 years and you’ll see several mis steps by him, just look through GL posts. He is a good portero, but he is not a top 5 portero. I liken him to Bravo.

And as to next portero, here’s a newsflash, choice is DeGea or Courtois, and Courtois is not Spanish!
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:23 pm

BarcaLearning wrote:Navas has been amazing for Real for so long though, not surprised though since not the first GK to be unfairly treated. Zidane should have the sense to keep him though unless he dips in form or something.

Depends on what you mean by amazing. I think he was arguably our most important player during the 15-16 season that followed a transfer window where he was supposed to be part of a trade deal for De Gea. He was a stone wall at the back, and I can't stress enough how important he was for our success at the time. His quality and consistency made him the best goalkeeper in the world that season, I don't believe that's up for debate. That said, his overall ability and consistency have taken a substantial drop since then. He's become prone to making mistakes, and although he's not outright bad, I don't believe he's quite good enough to be the starting goalkeeper at any top club either. He's definitely not the weakest link at Real Madrid, but he's one of them.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:07 pm

Reason Kepa didn't come isn't that Madrid wasn't going to buy him.... it's that Kepa saw what's happened to the other players that didn't get the blessing of Zidane from this past summer and he didn't want to rot on the bench.

sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:04 pm

Still pushing that agenda?  Zidane just showed he has got power, he said he did not want Kepa and Kepa did not come. In the past he told the club not to sign De Gea and we did not, let's not forget this. he has gone out of his way to protect the core of this team. The man wields considerable power, pretending otherwise is a lie.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:05 am

Navas compared to bravo. It's funny how bias you are toawards Spanish players, we understand De Gea didn't come to Madrid but don't downplay Navas's importance to us, he is definetly a top 5 keeper.
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:09 am

there was so much going to be wrong with this move, that i don't even know where to start. and that's no disrespect to kepa, but it seemed like an all over the place move , and i can't go into all that on this post

my theory; the move was in place, zidane said no, and said no publicly, he didn't go the "any good player is welcome here" or "kepa is a good goalie, but i can't talk about that" route. he gave an emphatic no that he isn't asking for anyone to the media

once its put out there, and he's obviously not talking to kepa or his people behind the scenes, it sends a huge message to the club as well as to kepa. when the coach says you're not needed (and you and him aren't talking behind the scenes) you know what to do. the clubs hands are also tied cos they can't guarantee you anything unless they tell you "don't worry we'll fire the coach", but kepa is not kaka, ronaldo or beckham, to be afforded such guarantees

zidane squashed this move (and rightly so), the way i see it. navas has been a pawn since we signed him, and the same may have happened to kepa or even worse cos navas isn't staying to play back up, and probably neither would kiko, so we'd have signed another goalie, an elite one, and kepa rescinded to a back up role. from what i've observed, navas was a tool to phase iker out and was never really considered his successor, hence the club has been trying to oust him since his second year
titosantill
titosantill
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:54 am

tito...  could you imagine bringing in Kepa and the message that would have given Navas.  He might have mailed in the rest of the season.  Last thing we needed was our goalie to stop giving a shit.  We have enough players this year who obviously don't give a shit.

This was so disastrous that even the company man that is Zidane had to make it clear he didn't want it to happen.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:26 am

I’ve heard other reports that a medical took place and Kepa would have come, but he failed. Supposedly, he needs surgery on his ankle but is postponing it until after the WC.

Not sure the legitimacy, but that has been a common thread among this story

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:28 pm

i saw that somewhere too, but i paid it little attention, cos in my mind i already felt this wouldn't happen. navas hasn't been amazing, he hasn't been out of this world terrible either, a lot of times the defense in front of the goalie makes or breaks the goalie, its rare when a defense is awful that a goalie is great ala prime iker.....navas has been alright to regular- not special imo, but one can't blame him if he doesn't look at some moments with the club fondly, cos he's been highly disrespected for a while now
titosantill
titosantill
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:35 pm

Mr Nick09 wrote:we are back to De Gea, or Courtois etc...

although i must say, i watched Allison vs Inter this weekend, and he was fantastic. We have been linked with him already by La Gazzetta. he is Brazil n1 ahead of ederson, and he is also very good with his feet and distribution. Not ederson or ter stegen like, but looked like the step below. shot stopping though... i really liked him

Asking also to Atletico Madrid fans ... Alisson performance in Roma-Atletico Madrid 0-0 was unreal, the best made by a GK this year imo. Atletico bombed Roma but he saved everything... He's the real reason why Atletico didn't pass CL group.
He is also very good with  feet ( well,he is Brazilian ) , so proper also for La Liga. I advice him, I ' m his fan
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:12 pm

Alisson looks world class we should definitely try to sign him. he is the complete package for a GK, they will ask about 50 mil i think, that's the price for GKs now
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum: