Donald Trump watch

Page 13 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

Re: Donald Trump watch

Post by Doc on Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:34 am

@Unique wrote:this might be a dumb question but who is telling japan they cant protect themselves or have any kind of military

Not my words but this is an answer for a similar question asked:
The Internet wrote:Legally speaking, Japan was forbidden from having any kind of standing army, though they were permitted to have forces for their own self defense. Japan has never relied on the United States or any other country or governing body for its own protection in a strictly legal sense. In other words, the United States or United Nations never signed anything saying they would protect Japan.

However, in reality Japan does have a standing army in the form of its Self Defense Forces. Their military expenditures are in the top 10, and it is one of the most advanced armies in the world technologically, but still very small in terms of the number of people. The main difference after WWII is that Japan pledged never to deploy their forces abroad for any reason, though in the past 10-15 years they have been involved in some overseas peacekeeping, and contributed a destroyer and a refueling ship as a support asset to the war in Afghanistan. At this point, if Japan decided to increase the size of its military it wouldn't really be forbidden from doing so, but Japan has kept its military small by choice because, frankly, it's much cheaper.

Finally, while the United States never formally agreed to protect Japan the number of US military bases in the country means that, in a practical sense, it does. This has also allowed Japan to get away with keeping its military small, since the US Navy and other assets are spread all around Japan and S Korea. As far as the future goes, it's harder to say because the US has been rolling back military expenditures. It wouldn't be surprising to see the US encouraging Japan to increase the size of its military in order to decrease reliance on the US for protection, but it could easily go either way.

Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans on Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:39 pm

@Betty La Fea wrote:

Germany had a functioning military ~10 years after WWII...surely this was before all the nazi, and denier, elements were found out.

Yeah. You had all those psychopaths, militarists, racists, murderers, Nazis back in power positions.

Just swell!! Thumbs up

You realize why this happened, and why the occupying powers allowed this? Or should I link to the wikipedia entry "Cold War"?

Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : FC Bayern

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli on Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:27 pm

What Hans said. Good reasons for Germany and Japan doing what they're doing TBH. And many of their neighbours are very fine with it.

1 - 8 - 4
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico on Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:41 am

Going back to Zigra's point, Germany recognizes the holocaust, has paid reparations to Israel and family members of death camp victims, etc. They have deniers but they're not influential and people are embarrassed of them.

Meanwhile in Japan...

In 2007, former education minister Nariaki Nakayama declared he was proud that the Liberal Democratic Party had succeeded in getting references to "wartime sex slaves" struck from most authorized history texts for junior high schools. "Our campaign worked, and people outside government also started raising their voices."[19]

Japan ordered history books to change passages on forced suicides during World War II.[20] In June 2007, the Okinawa Prefectural Assembly officially asked the Ministry of Education of Japan to retract its instruction to downplay the military's role in mass suicide in Okinawa in 1945.[21] More than 100,000 people in Okinawa rallied against the textbook changes at the end of September. According to the Kyodo News agency, it was the biggest staged rally on the island since its 1972 return to Japanese rule. Okinawa governor Hirokazu Nakaima spoke to the crowds, commenting that the Japanese military's involvement in the mass suicides should not be forgotten.[22]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_history_textbook_controversies#Comfort_women_comments

It seems that there are a significant amount of people who haven't really learned from history and worryingly are in a position to prevent others from learning about it as well.

Admin

Club Supported : River Plate

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis on Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:21 pm

Firing his Secretary of State by tweet is very much like dumping someone through text.

Laughing

Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty La Fea on Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:45 pm

@Hapless_Hans wrote:
@Betty La Fea wrote:

Germany had a functioning military ~10 years after WWII...surely this was before all the nazi, and denier, elements were found out.

Yeah. You had all those psychopaths, militarists, racists, murderers, Nazis back in power positions.

Just swell!! Thumbs up

You realize why this happened, and why the occupying powers allowed this? Or should I link to the wikipedia entry "Cold War"?

The cold war is actually a great point, but it opens another can of worms.

Why did the United States(and other Western powers) believe Germans were much more capable of being capable allies against bolshevism while Japan wasnt. It isnt lost on me that Germans have a connection with the US and UK that a far east Island nation like Japan doesnt, but its a clear thing that wont really last if North Korea is brought to the table as part of the international community.

@BarrileteCosmico wrote:Going back to Zigra's point, Germany recognizes the holocaust, has paid reparations to Israel and family members of death camp victims, etc. They have deniers but they're not influential and people are embarrassed of them.

Meanwhile in Japan...

In 2007, former education minister Nariaki Nakayama declared he was proud that the Liberal Democratic Party had succeeded in getting references to "wartime sex slaves" struck from most authorized history texts for junior high schools. "Our campaign worked, and people outside government also started raising their voices."[19]

Japan ordered history books to change passages on forced suicides during World War II.[20] In June 2007, the Okinawa Prefectural Assembly officially asked the Ministry of Education of Japan to retract its instruction to downplay the military's role in mass suicide in Okinawa in 1945.[21] More than 100,000 people in Okinawa rallied against the textbook changes at the end of September. According to the Kyodo News agency, it was the biggest staged rally on the island since its 1972 return to Japanese rule. Okinawa governor Hirokazu Nakaima spoke to the crowds, commenting that the Japanese military's involvement in the mass suicides should not be forgotten.[22]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_history_textbook_controversies#Comfort_women_comments

It seems that there are a significant amount of people who haven't really learned from history and worryingly are in a position to prevent others from learning about it as well.

I'd say the vast majority of people with common sense in Japan are utterly embarrassed by the likes of Abe, his former education minister, and the state of education there. Whether or not common sense is entirely common though is one for debate.

The thing is, and whether or not its acceptable for the rest of the world or not, Japan is gonna have a military capable of going on the offensive within the next 10 years. Other nations who have not had such things forced on them are making claims as world powers now, and a conservative populace will demand the same of their nation. Especially when there is no cultural benefit from Japan's place now in the world.

Vice actually published a video about this 2 days ago:

First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique on Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:01 am

@Betty La Fea wrote:
@Hapless_Hans wrote:
@Betty La Fea wrote:

Just swell!! Thumbs up

Why did the United States(and other Western powers) believe Germans were much more capable of being capable allies against bolshevism while Japan wasnt. It isnt lost on me that Germans have a connection with the US and UK that a far east Island nation like Japan doesnt, but its a clear thing that wont really last if North Korea is brought to the table as part of the international community.

@BarrileteCosmico wrote:Going back to Zigra's point, Germany recognizes the holocaust, has paid reparations to Israel and family members of death camp victims, etc. They have deniers but they're not influential and people are embarrassed of them.

Meanwhile in Japan...

I'd say the vast majority of people with common sense in Japan are utterly embarrassed by the likes of Abe, his former education minister, and the state of education there. Whether or not common sense is entirely common though is one for debate.

The thing is, and whether or not its acceptable for the rest of the world or not, Japan is gonna have a military capable of going on the offensive within the next 10 years. Other nations who have not had such things forced on them are making claims as world powers now, and a conservative populace will demand the same of their nation. Especially when there is no cultural benefit from Japan's place now in the world.

i didnt watch that video but i can tell you now the guy on the start screen has never shot a gun in his life rofl the stock is resting on his shoulder and not planted in his shoulder. his head should be inline with the gun and not tilted over as you can see. and he has the scope pressed against his eye so when he fires the gun the recoil will smash the scope into his eye and blind him. rofl rofl tbh my 13yo son could teach that guy how to shoot a gun. Very Happy

World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty La Fea on Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:19 am

@Unique wrote:
@Betty La Fea wrote:
@Hapless_Hans wrote:

Just swell!! Thumbs up

Meanwhile in Japan...

i didnt watch that video but i can tell you now the guy on the start screen has never shot a gun in his life rofl the stock is resting on his shoulder and not planted in his shoulder. his head should be inline with the gun and not tilted over as you can see. and he has the scope pressed against his eye so when he fires the gun the recoil will smash the scope into his eye and blind him. rofl rofl tbh my 13yo son could teach that guy how to shoot a gun. Very Happy

I actually feel that is the weakest part of the segment. Talking to a bunch of salarymen playing paintball outside of tokyo about going to war is silly. These old men wouldnt be doing it.

First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico on Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:30 am

@Betty La Fea wrote:I'd say the vast majority of people with common sense in Japan are utterly embarrassed by the likes of Abe, his former education minister, and the state of education there. Whether or not common sense is entirely common though is one for debate.

Clearly not embarrassed enough to not elect him as president though.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty La Fea on Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:46 am

@BarrileteCosmico wrote:
@Betty La Fea wrote:I'd say the vast majority of people with common sense in Japan are utterly embarrassed by the likes of Abe, his former education minister, and the state of education there. Whether or not common sense is entirely common though is one for debate.

Clearly not embarrassed enough to not elect him as president though.

To be fair though that election was pretty much doomed from the start considering the alternative was a group more concerned with eating themselves than trying to stop him. They were in between a rock and a hard place, plus I think it rained that day too. People wont vote in the rain.

First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico on Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:50 am

He has enjoyed widespread approval for the majority of his term, turning only now...

https://www.japanmacroadvisors.com/index.php/page/category/politics/cabinet-approval-rating/

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty La Fea on Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:57 am

@BarrileteCosmico wrote:He has enjoyed widespread approval for the majority of his term, turning only now...

https://www.japanmacroadvisors.com/index.php/page/category/politics/cabinet-approval-rating/

That probably explains why the military vote is coming next year too. Gotta throw scraps to his rabid voters.

He definitely would have still won if it wasnt raining last year, but the weather did contribute to people staying home.

First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique on Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:38 am

@betty i mean no disrespect here buddy but since ive been on this forum you have spent half your time being american and the other half being japanese. i dont understand this tbh.

World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty La Fea on Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:52 am

@Unique wrote:@betty i mean no disrespect here buddy but since ive been on this forum you have spent half your time being american and the other half being japanese. i dont understand this tbh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Americans

First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique on Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:45 am

@Betty La Fea wrote:
@Unique wrote:@betty i mean no disrespect here buddy but since ive been on this forum you have spent half your time being american and the other half being japanese. i dont understand this tbh.

i fully understand that part of my question but the part i dont understand is how you can switch loyalties. i am a born and bred englishman and i will die a englishman. it dont matter where i go or where i live i am a proud englishman. nothing or nobody can ever change that. how can you possibly be a man that has pride and convictions if you dont even know who you are.

World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty La Fea on Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:01 am

@Unique wrote:
@Betty La Fea wrote:

i fully understand that part of my question but the part i dont understand is how you can switch loyalties. i am a born and bred englishman and i will die a englishman. it dont matter where i go or where i live i am a proud englishman. nothing or nobody can ever change that. how can you possibly be a man that has pride and convictions if you dont even know who you are.

Actually, I would consider it a smart use of loyalty more than redirection.

In the fiscal year of 2017 I paid roughly $39,000(~£27k) in taxes last year. If capital isnt loyalty then what is?

Germany is where it is, in esteem and military power, in large part because German Americans were able to tie in their identity to the fatherland. The fatherland being in fantastic shape was able to change and promote their place in the rest of the world. This was enough to make the US hesitant not once, but twice in entering world wars, and also placed Germany in the position it is in now. Nobody ever questions the loyalty of German Americans because it is expected that they will do what is best for their image, and their image is intrinsically tied to how Germany as a nation performs.

First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique on Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:58 am

@Betty La Fea wrote:
@Unique wrote:
@Betty La Fea wrote:

In the fiscal year of 2017 I paid roughly $39,000(~£27k) in taxes last year. If capital isnt loyalty then what is?

Germany is where it is, in esteem and military power, in large part because German Americans were able to tie in their identity to the fatherland. The fatherland being in fantastic shape was able to change and promote their place in the rest of the world. This was enough to make the US hesitant not once, but twice in entering world wars, and also placed Germany in the position it is in now. Nobody ever questions the loyalty of German Americans because it is expected that they will do what is best for their image, and their image is intrinsically tied to how Germany as a nation performs.
honest to god i have nothing. for the first time in my life i dont know what to say to that. unreal. fooking unreal.

World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty La Fea on Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:21 pm

@Unique wrote:
@Betty La Fea wrote:
@Unique wrote: i fully understand that part of my question but the part i dont understand is how you can switch loyalties. i am a born and bred englishman and i will die a englishman. it dont matter where i go or where i live i am a proud englishman. nothing or nobody can ever change that. how can you possibly be a man that has pride and convictions if you dont even know who you are.

honest to god i have nothing. for the first time in my life i dont know what to say to that. unreal. fooking unreal.

If you dont have this feeling at least once a week, then you are not being challenged enough intellectually.

It will keep you young longer.

First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca on Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:22 pm

unique people who aren't pureblood one country or ethnicity exist as do people who aren't white

It's possible to feel loyalty and a connection to your ancestry (and, I imagine, the home culture that Betty grew up in) while also feeling a loyalty and a dedication to the country you currently live in.

I know that's a difficult concept for you because it allows for cultures to mix and for people to enjoy and celebrate diversity as opposed to your brand of subtle (or sometimes not so subtle) racism, but it's true.

NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique on Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:44 pm

@CBarca wrote:unique people who aren't pureblood one country or ethnicity exist as do people who aren't white

It's possible to feel loyalty and a connection to your ancestry (and, I imagine, the home culture that Betty grew up in) while also feeling a loyalty and a dedication to the country you currently live in.

I know that's a difficult concept for you because it allows for cultures to mix and for people to enjoy and celebrate diversity as opposed to your brand of subtle (or sometimes not so subtle) racism, but it's true.
So now it’s racist to love your country. Ffs I can’t wait for the day when nobs like you tell us we are racist because we have white skin.

World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique on Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:49 pm

That Russian spy that was gassed in the uk the other day. Well when they recruit people to do that job they go for people like Betty

World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza on Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:55 pm

@Unique wrote:
@CBarca wrote:unique people who aren't pureblood one country or ethnicity exist as do people who aren't white

So now it’s racist to love your country. Ffs I can’t wait for the day when nobs like you tell us we are racist because we have white skin.

You’re such a god damn idiot.

It’s really incredible how stupid you are.

World Class Contributor

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty La Fea on Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:59 pm

@Freeza wrote:
@Unique wrote:

He's doing this to wind people up. He doesnt believe what he says Laughing

First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza on Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:02 pm

Trust me. Myeyesight is just trolling.

This guy though. He’s just...

World Class Contributor

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique on Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:11 pm

@Freeza wrote:
@Unique wrote:

how stupid. Am I the kind of stupid that means I have a imaginary friend that gives me permission to beat my wife and marry children. Am I so stupid I throw gay people off buildings. No. I’m not that stupid. But over half the worlds population do stupid stuff like that so if I’m not as stupid as over half the people on earth then I can live with that. But I still don’t see how I’m racist for questioning someone’s loyalty to a country but ass wipe liberals will find a way to turn it into that.

World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca on Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:13 pm

I personally think it's a little bit of both

NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16 ... 20  Next