Who will be the Democrats' presidential candidate against Trump?

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Who will be the Democrats' presidential candidate against Trump?

Post by Hapless_Hans on Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:50 pm

Trump has been in office 11 months, so the beginning of the next campaign is about 13 months away...
As opposed to the last election, which was marked by a ghost town emptiness and complete lack of serious candidates in the democratic primary, what with everyone being wary of running against Hillary who's TURN it was, this coming presidential election and primary should look very interesting for all the ambitious careerists out there in the Democratic Party.
I'm sure there's plenty of senators, governors and such forming exploratory committees to explore the possibility of exploring the formation of an exploratory committee at this very moment.

Our resident US posters, can you share some thoughts on who you think will run against Trump?
Who you think should? Who you'd prefer? And who you think might win the nomination?

I'm not up to date on the trends at all, I must say, but I'll throw a few names out.

Kirsten Gillibrand (is it just me or would she have great chances?)
Corey Booker
Elisabeth Warren
Andrew Cuomo
Mark Warner
Mark Dayton
Claire McCaskill
Terry McAuliffe
Bob Casey
Tim Caine
Bill Nelson
Julián/Joaquín Castro (whose advantage would be that they could share the grueling workload of a campaign, even campaigning in different states at once without anyone noticing)

Plot Twist:
It's Hillary again.

_________________
avatar
Hapless_Hans
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : FC Bayern
Posts : 24320
Join date : 2013-09-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Who will be the Democrats' presidential candidate against Trump?

Post by futbol on Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:42 pm

Doesn't matter. The Donald will win again anyway.

_________________
"The shape looks good."


futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle
Posts : 10435
Join date : 2012-11-23

Back to top Go down

Re: Who will be the Democrats' presidential candidate against Trump?

Post by Unique on Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:07 pm

man that 11 months has flown by Shocked

_________________
avatar
Unique
BOSS MAN

Club Supported : Liverpool
Posts : 12819
Join date : 2015-01-19
Age : 44

Back to top Go down

Re: Who will be the Democrats' presidential candidate against Trump?

Post by Hapless_Hans on Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:07 pm

@Unique wrote:man that 11 months has flown by Shocked


That's because in those 11 months Trump got done the most of all presidents ever, and the best. 'Honest' Abe Lincoln, maybe, is up there with him in terms of regulation cutting, but else...
Time flies if you're busy.

_________________
avatar
Hapless_Hans
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : FC Bayern
Posts : 24320
Join date : 2013-09-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Who will be the Democrats' presidential candidate against Trump?

Post by Unique on Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:26 pm

@Hapless_Hans wrote:
@Unique wrote:man that 11 months has flown by Shocked


That's because in those 11 months Trump got done the most of all presidents ever, and the best. 'Honest' Abe Lincoln, maybe, is up there with him in terms of regulation cutting, but else...
Time flies if you're busy.
time flys when your my age Laughing

_________________
avatar
Unique
BOSS MAN

Club Supported : Liverpool
Posts : 12819
Join date : 2015-01-19
Age : 44

Back to top Go down

Re: Who will be the Democrats' presidential candidate against Trump?

Post by Guest on Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:24 am

Spoiler:

Kamala please.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Who will be the Democrats' presidential candidate against Trump?

Post by Hapless_Hans on Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:48 am

Betty La Fea wrote:
Spoiler:

Kamala please.


You think it's realistic already? She'd have been in the Senate only for half a term...

_________________
avatar
Hapless_Hans
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : FC Bayern
Posts : 24320
Join date : 2013-09-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Who will be the Democrats' presidential candidate against Trump?

Post by Guest on Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:08 pm

@Hapless_Hans wrote:
Betty La Fea wrote:
Spoiler:

Kamala please.


You think it's realistic already? She'd have been in the Senate only for half a term...


Trump has never been in the senate.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Who will be the Democrats' presidential candidate against Trump?

Post by VivaStPauli on Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:49 pm

I kind of want Warren and Booker to run, not sure who I want to head the ticket of the two. Democrats have lost the racist and misogynist vote anyway, might as well run a black man and a woman.
Warren has her cringey moments, but she's a proper progressive with a good track record on social security and environmental protection.
Booker is just a big damn hero.

_________________
PS: Ramos should've really gotten a red in that last game we're all talking about.
avatar
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli
Posts : 8075
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 34

Back to top Go down

Re: Who will be the Democrats' presidential candidate against Trump?

Post by McLewis on Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:17 pm

I hope the next one comes out of nowhere like Obama did.

That said, I've seen no one that can unite the far left and with the center left in the way Obama did yet Hillary could not. Maybe Booker or Harris or maybe even Warren.

I had my issues with Obama when he was president, but I loved how inspirational, progressive, and charismatic he was as a candidate. I don't see that with any of the most prominent democrats.

I personally think Biden will have the best shot.

_________________
avatar
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma
Posts : 10392
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 30

Back to top Go down

Re: Who will be the Democrats' presidential candidate against Trump?

Post by Guest on Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:39 pm

@McLewis wrote:I hope the next one comes out of nowhere like Obama did.

That said, I've seen no one that can unite the far left and with the center left in the way Obama did yet Hillary could not. Maybe Booker or Harris or maybe even Warren.

I had my issues with Obama when he was president, but I loved how inspirational, progressive, and charismatic he was as a candidate. I don't see that with any of the most prominent democrats.

I personally think Biden will have the best shot.


I would have voted for Biden over Hillary, but I think his time has passed

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Who will be the Democrats' presidential candidate against Trump?

Post by McLewis on Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:31 am

In general, I agree.

I think he's got the overall most juice though and the most broad popularity across the democratic spectrum.

_________________
avatar
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma
Posts : 10392
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 30

Back to top Go down

Re: Who will be the Democrats' presidential candidate against Trump?

Post by Clutch on Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:34 pm

Kamala maybe has the best chance of uniting the Left but I doubt she wins the primaries. Biden would probably have the best chance but would probably not unite the left that much. At least the debates would be very entertaining

Clutch
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 276
Join date : 2015-11-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Who will be the Democrats' presidential candidate against Trump?

Post by McLewis on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:02 am

Obama came to prominence almost 4 years before he was elected. Using that as a spectrum for newcomers, I'd say 2020 is too soon for Harris. If her profile remains high and she doesn't suffer from a major scandal, she could definitely be in contention for 2024.

_________________
avatar
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma
Posts : 10392
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 30

Back to top Go down

Re: Who will be the Democrats' presidential candidate against Trump?

Post by Hapless_Hans on Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:35 am

I'm hoping, dreaming rather, that one day, Stacey Abrams will go on to become US president.

Such a likeable, smart, accomplished woman and great communicator. I wish we had politicians like that in Germany, but we don't. People here are not that smart, and not that likeable either.

But first, let's hope she wins the Georgia governor election.

_________________
avatar
Hapless_Hans
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : FC Bayern
Posts : 24320
Join date : 2013-09-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Who will be the Democrats' presidential candidate against Trump?

Post by Art Morte on Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:38 pm

People might not like this, but the Democrats probably should find a candidate who has at least some reservations about immigration. Otherwise so many voters are going to vote for a Republican candidate simply because of the immigration issue.

Not saying a pro-immigration Democrat couldn't win a presidential election, but such a candidate is eliminating xx% of voters right off the bat.
avatar
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool
Posts : 15920
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 33

Back to top Go down

Re: Who will be the Democrats' presidential candidate against Trump?

Post by Freeza on Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:44 pm

@Art Morte wrote:People might not like this, but the Democrats probably should find a candidate who has at least some reservations about immigration. Otherwise so many voters are going to vote for a Republican candidate simply because of the immigration issue.

Not saying a pro-immigration Democrat couldn't win a presidential election, but such a candidate is eliminating xx% of voters right off the bat.


Well, we saw what happened last time they picked a centrist candidate.

Imo, their biggest chance is to go as far left as possible. That way they can engage the young voters who seem to lean left, while also getting all older Democrats who wouldn't vote Republican either way.

I doubt a centrist choice can convince any of the ones that voted for Trump last time, and still support him, to vote Democratic.

Personally I think Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez will be the right choice, but not now, more like in 14 years. Her wave seems to be really resonating with the youth.

_________________
hmm:
avatar
Freeza
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 18817
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 25

Back to top Go down

Re: Who will be the Democrats' presidential candidate against Trump?

Post by VivaStPauli on Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:32 pm

Yeah they lost the swing voters anyway, the real market to tap are non-voters. They should pick a progressive.

_________________
PS: Ramos should've really gotten a red in that last game we're all talking about.
avatar
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli
Posts : 8075
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 34

Back to top Go down

Re: Who will be the Democrats' presidential candidate against Trump?

Post by Guest on Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:35 pm

@Hapless_Hans wrote:I'm hoping, dreaming rather, that one day, Stacey Abrams will go on to become US president.

Such a likeable, smart, accomplished woman and great communicator. I wish we had politicians like that in Germany, but we don't. People here are not that smart, and not that likeable either.

But first, let's hope she wins the Georgia governor election.


I live in Georgia. She wont

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Who will be the Democrats' presidential candidate against Trump?

Post by Art Morte on Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:39 pm

@Freeza wrote:
@Art Morte wrote:People might not like this, but the Democrats probably should find a candidate who has at least some reservations about immigration. Otherwise so many voters are going to vote for a Republican candidate simply because of the immigration issue.

Not saying a pro-immigration Democrat couldn't win a presidential election, but such a candidate is eliminating xx% of voters right off the bat.


Well, we saw what happened last time they picked a centrist candidate.

Imo, their biggest chance is to go as far left as possible. That way they can engage the young voters who seem to lean left, while also getting all older Democrats who wouldn't vote Republican either way.

I doubt a centrist choice can convince any of the ones that voted for Trump last time, and still support him, to vote Democratic.

Personally I think Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez will be the right choice, but not now, more like in 14 years. Her wave seems to be really resonating with the youth.


I think that's going to set the Democrats on a losing path. We'll see what happens.
avatar
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool
Posts : 15920
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 33

Back to top Go down

Re: Who will be the Democrats' presidential candidate against Trump?

Post by Blue on Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:44 am

Corey Booker is a corporate shell, other than his skin color his views and record is pretty much align with any other white centrist democrate. No thanks.

Elisabeth Warren would be my choice atm.

@Freeza wrote:
@Art Morte wrote:People might not like this, but the Democrats probably should find a candidate who has at least some reservations about immigration. Otherwise so many voters are going to vote for a Republican candidate simply because of the immigration issue.

Not saying a pro-immigration Democrat couldn't win a presidential election, but such a candidate is eliminating xx% of voters right off the bat.


Well, we saw what happened last time they picked a centrist candidate.

Imo, their biggest chance is to go as far left as possible. That way they can engage the young voters who seem to lean left, while also getting all older Democrats who wouldn't vote Republican either way.

I doubt a centrist choice can convince any of the ones that voted for Trump last time, and still support him, to vote Democratic.

Personally I think Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez will be the right choice, but not now, more like in 14 years. Her wave seems to be really resonating with the youth.


Cortez might have good intentions, but in the interviews i have seen she comes off very basic and lacks understanding of real issues. I am not impressed by her.

_________________
avatar
Blue
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea
Posts : 2410
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 29

Back to top Go down

Re: Who will be the Democrats' presidential candidate against Trump?

Post by Freeza on Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:39 am

@Blue I agree. That’s why I wrote that she needed 14 years. And that’s probably at least. But the movement she’s leading is pretty great imo. Hope it isn’t corrupted. Love how they refuse to be sponsored by corporations and advocating for free healthcare, school etc. Which is the biggest problem in USA imo. They could probably get all that at the same cost they use now if they become more efficient.

I love Warren. Seems smart, genuine and non-corruptable. She’s also a very polar option to Trump and has withstood enough abuse to use it to her advantage. I’m just afraid the misogyny still is too rampant for her to win, but I hope she’s the candidate.

_________________
hmm:
avatar
Freeza
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 18817
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 25

Back to top Go down

Re: Who will be the Democrats' presidential candidate against Trump?

Post by Hapless_Hans on Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:54 am

Betty La Fea wrote:
@Hapless_Hans wrote:I'm hoping, dreaming rather, that one day, Stacey Abrams will go on to become US president.

Such a likeable, smart, accomplished woman and great communicator. I wish we had politicians like that in Germany, but we don't. People here are not that smart, and not that likeable either.

But first, let's hope she wins the Georgia governor election.


I live in Georgia. She wont


wont what? become governor?

_________________
avatar
Hapless_Hans
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : FC Bayern
Posts : 24320
Join date : 2013-09-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Who will be the Democrats' presidential candidate against Trump?

Post by Hapless_Hans on Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:57 am

@Blue wrote:Corey Booker is a corporate shell, other than his skin color his views and record is pretty much align with any other white centrist democrate. No thanks.

Elisabeth Warren would be my choice atm.

@Freeza wrote:
@Art Morte wrote:People might not like this, but the Democrats probably should find a candidate who has at least some reservations about immigration. Otherwise so many voters are going to vote for a Republican candidate simply because of the immigration issue.

Not saying a pro-immigration Democrat couldn't win a presidential election, but such a candidate is eliminating xx% of voters right off the bat.


Well, we saw what happened last time they picked a centrist candidate.

Imo, their biggest chance is to go as far left as possible. That way they can engage the young voters who seem to lean left, while also getting all older Democrats who wouldn't vote Republican either way.

I doubt a centrist choice can convince any of the ones that voted for Trump last time, and still support him, to vote Democratic.

Personally I think Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez will be the right choice, but not now, more like in 14 years. Her wave seems to be really resonating with the youth.


Cortez might have good intentions, but in the interviews i have seen she comes off very basic and lacks understanding of real issues. I am not impressed by her.


Ocasio-Cortez is really, really young. She's smart, and enthusiastic, and lovable, but she's in for a wringer now that she's in congress.
Sadly, I can see her being turned into a zombie in no time.
Especially, I'm not sure if it will be a good thing going forward that she's so good looking. She'll get the wrong kind of attention.

If not, she'll be a great candidate in 10-15 years or so

_________________
avatar
Hapless_Hans
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : FC Bayern
Posts : 24320
Join date : 2013-09-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Who will be the Democrats' presidential candidate against Trump?

Post by Hapless_Hans on Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:01 am

I have obviously no in-depth knowledge of the guy and his policies, but I have a deep seated distrust towards Corey Booker.

Nobody can tell me that the guy isn't ultimately a show-off who's in it for the attention and the ambition, is actually full of shit, and would sell his mom to the highest bidder if must be, let alone his principles.
On the surface however, he's ok, and if the collateral damage to his career plan is okayish policies, who would I be to complain.

_________________
avatar
Hapless_Hans
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : FC Bayern
Posts : 24320
Join date : 2013-09-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Who will be the Democrats' presidential candidate against Trump?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum