General Games Discussion

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Go down

Re: General Games Discussion

Post by Thimmy on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:08 pm

@M99 wrote:Rainbow Six Siege is the most addicting MP shooter I played in a while.

Sucks that Year 1 and 2 operators are so expensive.

Yeah, it's the most addicting shooter I've played in about a decade. I genuinely love the concept, and I had tons of fun playing the game with pre-made teams. Shame it's a Ubisoft game. Their incredibly unstable servers and reluctance to fix them until 2 months after release, resulted in myself and tons of others players giving up on it.

Thimmy
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:13 pm

@RealGunner wrote:Which part of my statement is incorrect?

Nothing. You only stated your subjective opinions. I'm amused by the lack of subjectiveness in your general gaming verdicts, though. I can only assume that your general negativity towards games that you aren't personally invested in these days is a result of them not being able to live up to the standard set by your favourite franchise? hmm

Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:56 am

Kingdom Come Deliverance is currently a 64 on metacritic, justice for RG imo.

Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy on Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:27 am

Whoa, that's a low rating. I assume it's a result of all the bugs I've been hearing about, otherwise it would be odd for some people to praise it's gameplay. I'm just teasing you btw, RG. Didn't mean to offend, although it genuinely amuses me when you basically go "I saw the trailer, ain't no one.." Razz

Dissidia NT has a low rating on Metacritic, as well, and although it's far from a perfect game, it's an innovative game with a truly deep combat system that takes time to master. It doesn't deserve the low rating, but long-time fans seem to feel very strongly about it being too different from it's prequels. The lack of proper tutorials, coupled with what initially seems like an overwhelming amount of features was clearly not a good design choice. Even if they did explain all of the minor, but important features, I imagine a lot of people wouldn't bother investing the time to understand it. It's a prime example of why it often doesn't pay off to take risks with new instalments in established franchises. Considering Square Enix is the publisher, it's pretty surprising that they didn't just stick to the RPG-centred formula that was easy to understand and already had a substantial fan following. I appreciate that they took the risk, but they probably stabbed themselves in the back by doing so.

I think indie companies are doing better than ever these days, because we've reached a point where the majority of console players have almost no tolerance towards established franchises going in new directions. You play Far Cry for the Far Cry experience, not to experience something you haven't experienced before. Just like with CoD, people didn't like the last two Far Crys, but they're still hyped for the new one because the change of setting looks like it 'might mean' a complete overhaul of what they played before hmm

Last edited by Thimmy on Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:31 am

It's only 4 reviews tbf lol.

I felt like taking the piss lol hmm

Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy on Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:37 am

Well, to be fair, it doesn't matter how good a game is if it's released in a state that's borderline unplayable. Rainbow Six Siege disconnected me from every other match, at one point. The issue wasn't on my end, everyone were being disconnected constantly. And it also had bugs ffs Ubisoft Laughing

Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica on Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:00 am

Watched Kingdom Come: Deliverance yesterday, and finally a nextgen rpg, it's absolutely amazing. I would say the biggest jump in the genre since Oblivion. Might be able to stop me from playing Baldur's Gate even, after few patches. Why the fck would you read Metacritic anyway? Laughing

Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:37 am

Let's see buggy AF, awful combat, terrible dialogue.

Yep sounds like Oblivion all right Laughing

Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica on Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:03 pm

Dialogue and cutscenes are one of the best I've seen in a game, ever. Combat is refined af, and starting to feel like a real life fighting, which the game is going for. Are you sure you know what the game is even about? Laughing

Oblivion introduced dynamic items and physics to rpg's, Kingdom Come: Deliverance seems to have introduced the nextgen graphics, and a true sense of realism, hence the actual nextgen. The graphics are so good, that I noticed watching some stream yesterday a hour, of literally just walking, and not getting bored.
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:13 pm

Combat looks like two dolls mashing against each other tbh.

It's looks great and I heard the story is good tbf to them, but dialogue looks unbelievably robotic like Oblivion was Laughing

Hard to care about any cutscene if it sounds like the NPC is a robot with no emotional reaction.

As I said every stream I watch makes the combat look like crap so I'm not sure what's there that I'm supposed to like hmm

Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica on Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:28 pm

Have you ever fought in real life? It looks like that, because that's how it looks in real life. Dialogues feel natural to me. The game feels and looks realistic, which they were going for.

Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:07 pm

Maybe the people I watched were bad because the combat didn't look how you describe tbh.

Fair enough though if you are enjoying it that's all that matters. Thumbs up

Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy on Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:59 pm

The combat didn't seem that great from what I could tell, either. I haven't actually played the game though, so I've no clue. Looked like the type of combat that would mostly appeal to a niche group of people.

Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica on Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:11 pm

It wont appeal casual players, that's certain.
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:11 am

@Harmonica wrote:Dialogue and cutscenes are one of the best I've seen in a game, ever.

You keep telling yourself that Laughing

Not only are the facial animations awfully robotic showing off zero human emotion, they are not particularly detailed character design.

Not to mention the dialogue is awful and sound like someone is reading off a script with zero emotion put into it which gives of a very robotic feel.

Hard to get invested into a cutscene or dialogue when the people behind them clearly aren't or put any effort into them.

I mean the lip sync looks like something out of 2002.

I have come to one of three conclusions

A: You clearly need your eyes tested

B: You only like Bethesda games

C: Both.

I feel sorry for any one with such low standards who would even consider this to be "good" matter best ever in a RPG rofl

Mass Effect Andromeda was rightly shat on for it and it's cutscenes and dialogue were way better than this.

Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:56 am

So this is Bethesda game now? Can you differentiate nextgen and best? I said dialogue and cutscenes are one of the best and realistic ever, and stand by it. Facial animations have nothing to do with it. I like how the Witcher fanboy shines through you no matter what, in any rpg discussion, because you act completely deliriously. And it's okey if you don't like it, Witcher 3 is more for the casual gamers, or those who know how to use only joypad. rofl

Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:46 pm

I never mentioned Witcher 3, not once.

I like how you can't help but be obsessed with it even when i don't mention it.

Those cutscenes and dialogue are awful compared to games like Mass Effect Andromeda which are also awful at dialogue and cutscenes.

Also facial animations have nothing to do with it? of course they do, facial animations convey emotion which increase the quality of the dialogue, acting of the cutscenes.

Bad facial animations decreases the quality of a cutscene.

Even ignoring that it's still bad compared to almost any RPG i have played this generation, as i said i feel sorry for you that you have such low standards that this is considered great to you.

The quality of the dialogue and cutscenes in the video i posted is something out of 2005, which the industry has long since vastly improved upon.

Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza on Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:49 pm

@Harmonica wrote:So this is Bethesda game now? Can you differentiate nextgen and best? I said dialogue and cutscenes are one of the best and realistic ever, and stand by it. Facial animations have nothing to do with it. I like how the Witcher fanboy shines through you no matter what, in any rpg discussion, because you act completely deliriously. And it's okey if you don't like it, Witcher 3 is more for the casual gamers, or those who know how to use only joypad. rofl

Of course you think the dialogue is realistic, when you too are only used to spewing shit.

World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica on Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:44 am

@Freeza wrote:
@Harmonica wrote:So this is Bethesda game now? Can you differentiate nextgen and best? I said dialogue and cutscenes are one of the best and realistic ever, and stand by it. Facial animations have nothing to do with it. I like how the Witcher fanboy shines through you no matter what, in any rpg discussion, because you act completely deliriously. And it's okey if you don't like it, Witcher 3 is more for the casual gamers, or those who know how to use only joypad. rofl
Of course you think the dialogue is realistic, when you too are only used to spewing shit.
And you two live in a fantasy World, where every conversation is overstated emotionally. Go out sometimes, live the real life, you would be surprised the dialogue out there.

Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica on Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:45 pm

:bow:

Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy on Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:01 pm

Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:08 pm

Loving dishonored. My type of game :bow:
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica on Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:35 pm

Still waiting couple patches until pulling the trigger on Kingdom Come: Deliverance, it's 50€ currently. It actually might be able to kill off Skyrim's rule, depending if modders swarm it, there's already Game of Thrones total conversion on the works. Game mechanics wise it's just so far ahead anything else currently.

Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica on Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:21 am

The Czech company Warhorse Studios is an important success. About a week after the release, she sold about one million pieces of her Kingdom Come: Deliverance debut. Half a million sold copies of Warhorse reached a moment after the release.

https://www.lupa.cz/aktuality/meta-pokorena-warhorse-prodali-milion-kusu-hry-kingdom-come-delivarance

Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer on Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:24 pm

Finally finished reviewing the top Genesis games.

Now, I am going ahead and start reviewing fifth generation consoles, starting with the Sega Saturn.
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer on Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:25 pm

Back in the early 1990’s, I think my first console was actually the Sega Genesis. My uncle had an SNES, and my cousins had an SNES, but I had a Genesis for some reason. I only had two or three games on the console, one of them Sonic pinball. For some reason, I didn’t get any more games after that.

Instead, I asked my parent to buy me the Nintendo console and never looked back. Simply, having multiple family members with the same console meant we can share the same games.

When I first joined Destructoid, I was in the middle of a personal quest to review all of the best SNES games that I did not play before. In essence, to review the SNES through reviewing its library. After finishing that review series, I decided I would do a similar one for the Genesis; a console I did not give enough of a chance before.

The console design was never the best, and thost gamepads were terrible

As such, I found a list of top 100 Genesis games at Retrosanctuary.com and decided to review the games that interested me in that list. Now, that I have reviewed over 30 Genesis games and have decided on a top 10 list, I think it is time to review the console itself:

Biggest Strengths:

2D Graphics:

This will forever look good

You will find that the Genesis and the SNES share a number of strengths and weaknesses; the biggest shared strength being the fact that both consoles continued pushing the limits of 2D graphics for 16bit games.

Unlike the early polygonal models of the generation after it, the 2D sprites and backgrounds of the fourth generation held up really well. That’s why the majority of the good games on either system still hold up to this day.

They are simply not an assault on your eyes, but look great both now and for their time.

Unique Sound:

I like the 16bit midi music. The Genesis’s sound chip was very different from the SNES, and that meant its sounds while similar in some way, was widely different in others. Decidedly more chip-tune than Nintendo’s console, the Genesis had some unique sounds.

This culminated in the soundtrack for Sonic 2, but also other games like Ecco: The Tides of Time and Phantasy Star IV.

True, the Genesis library did not have any soundtracks that in my opinion could rival the likes of Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, and Donkey Kong Country. However, its sound was nevertheless a unique strength in some ways.

Strong Arcade Ports:

One aspect that I think the Genesis was superior to the SNES is in its arcade ports. I simply did not care much for the arcade ports on the SNES, but they more or less worked to a better degree on the Genesis.

While I think that Arcade ports are generally not the best games on the console, some people really like those games. In fact, many of the Genesis games cater to that arcade mentality, with a focus on the mastery of limited content rather than having longer and more elaborate games.

Biggest Weaknesses:

Memory:

Like with the SNES, the cartridges of the day meant there was a hard limit to the games on the system. Everything in the game consumed some of that finite memory space, and that had cascading effects on all aspects of game design.

Generally, games had to decided between length and spectacle. Translations from Japanese text was fraught with memory concerns. Content was cut due to space considerations.

Sega actually tried to address that by releasing the lock-on cartridges. Basically, physical expansions that locked into the cartridge of choice; expanding its scope. However, the costs were prohibitive for most people and memory remained a concern for the duration of the console’s lifespan.

Unique Sound:

Wait a minute, didn’t I just put this in as one of the console’s strengths?

The Genesis’s sound design was a double-edged sword, capable of both creating great tunes and some tracks that could be used as enhanced interrogation techniques. Seriously, the number of games with terribly grating sound nearly equals those with great soundtracks.

However, its not only the fact that you could make some abominable music that’s the problem, but also that unless composers were specifically talented, the soundtrack would all muddle into each other with little to no distinction between the various tracks.

The Genesis Add-Ons:

That's a lot of add-ons with limited use

In its competition with the SNES, Sega were almost desperate in the way they wanted to add further power to the Genesis. This culminated in the release of two add-ons to the system, the Sega CD and Sega 32X. Two add-ons that basically split the console’s install base and, in many ways, ruined Sega’s reputation.

Envisioned as a stop-gap to the Sega Saturn, these two add-ons were confusing to customers, having little of value in regards to original games, and ultimately sold miserably.

Perhaps less a weakness to the Genesis and more to Sega itself. The legacy of these add-on is a contribution to the failure of the Saturn.

Limited Strong 3rd Party Support:

You cannot claim that 3rd party support wasn’t available on the Genesis. However, you can claim that 3rd parties kept their A game on the SNES. Generally, ports were ok, but the best games of the generation from Capcom, Squaresoft, Enix, and others have skipped Sega’s console.

Only early on did the Genesis have some strong 3rd party support, but by the end of the console’s lifespan they were singlehandedly carrying it on their back.

That is something that Nintnedo will end up doing in the future.

Top Three Genres:

It’s fascinating to see how two 16it consoles basically ended up catering to the same audience, but also having some differentiating factors. These three genres were generally the best represented (in quantity and quality) on the Genesis:

Platformers:

Sega knew that the battle was to be won on the schoolyards and in what kids wanted for Christmas. Which is why they needed to counteract Nintendo’s mastery of the genre by creating their own mascot platformer; Sonic the Hedgehog.

Outside of Sonic, there weren’t that many great platformers, but there was of course a great number of them.

Action:

The action genre can be divided into three sub genres on the Genesis, all of which were represented well.

Beat ‘em Ups were never my cup of tea, but games like Streets of Rage and Comix Zone are heavily lauded by fans of the genre.

Run & Gun and Action Platformers are ore my style, which is why I enjoyed the Ninja Gaiden series (the last game only), Catlevania: Bloodlines, and of course the two best Run & Gun games on the 16bit era: Gunstar Heroes and Contra: Hard Corps.

Shmups:

I am not one who mastered this complex genre

Another genre that I am not too fond off (mostly because I am not that good in it), but that shines here especially due to the quality arcade ports.

Shmups are basically the scrolling shooters (or Shoot ‘em Up) games that go from slower paced affairs to full on Bullet Hell games. The Genesis’s unique sound was especially appreciated on those games.

Top Three Publishers:

Sega:

It goes without saying that the platform holder is usually one of the top publishers as well. However, in this case its more notable due to the fact that Sega basically single handedly carried the console by itself. Nearly every major game was either developed by Sega or at least published by them.

Desperate for more games to counter the SNES dominance with, Sega published games from a myriad of developers, hitting every genre. Many of those game would go on to become iconic franchises for Sega, but a lot of them have just disappeared with time.

Of the iconic franchises, Sega themselves worked in developing Sonic, Shinobi, and Phantasy Star. But they also published the Shining Force games, Ecco the Dolphin, and all the game developed by Treasure.

Sonic taught Mario how to carry a console on his back

Konami:

Of the legendary Japanese developers of the day, Konami were the only ones to bring their A game to the Genesis. During the 16bit era, it seemed that for every title Konami made for the SNES, they made a similar title (but different) for the Genesis.

Two games that stand out are Contra: Hard Corps, which is one of the best Run & Gun games of the generation, and Castlevania: Bloodlines, which is one of the best Action games of the generation.

Capcom:

It can’t be said that Capcom practically did their best for the Genesis. They were almost forced by Sega to delay a planned Street Fighter II release in order to put in some of the features they were adding for the SNES, and the final version of the game didn’t live up to the legendary status of the game.

Otherwise, they made some really good Arcade ports, such as the port for Strider and Ghouls ‘n Ghosts.

In Conclusion:

Most of these games are not worth your time, but some are real gems

The 16bit generation will always be remembered for the console war between the SNES and the Genesis. This mostly services the Genesis legacy though, as it benefits greatly from its comparison with the giant that is the SNES.

Otherwise, a great number of the Genesis titles are seriously dated today, with many of them not worth the tie and effort to play them.

However, there is still a small number of titles that truly aged well, and those showcases what the Genesis was truly capable off. Those games are still worth playing today.

Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next