General Games Discussion

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

General Games Discussion - Page 37 Empty Re: General Games Discussion

Post by Firenze on Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:09 pm

wouldn't expect some geriatric old numpty that still posts about a 20 year old RPG multiple times a month to be progressing with the new era tbh. Console/PC gaming is still GOAT but Mobile gaming is respectable. Get with the times.

Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica on Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:25 pm

At least I'm not justifying something by the opinions of others, which is the worst kind of thinking and why modern society is ruled by these massive corporations, and why art and quality is dying. Childs ruin everything because they accept everything corporations are selling without pause. Happened in electronics (Apple), happened in movies (Superhero) and is happening in games (Live-services).

Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy on Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:49 pm

For all this talk about you being oh so original and other people being sheep, you sure picked the golden goose in supporting Barcelona and Messi. From my experience, people who see themselves as unique, care more about other people's opinions than the average person does. The only original thing about you, is that you rant more than the average nerd Very Happy

Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica on Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:12 pm

Yes, something about being considerable margin the best player in history in every which way, producing special moments with routine, and yet still losing Ballon d'Ors left and right for half the quality, has nothing to do with it. You sure picked a great example. Laughing

Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy on Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:20 pm

I should've known you would use this opportunity to needlessly boast about him Laughing

Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer on Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:44 pm

Game: No More Heroes 2.
Year: 2010.
Genre: Action Adventure.
Publisher: Marvelous Entertainment, Ubisoft.
Developer: Grasshopper Manufacture.

General Games Discussion - Page 37 220px-No_More_Heroes_2_Desperate_Struggle

First things first, I am changing my rating system to better rate different genres according to their own rules. It will still be from 50 quality points, but every title will start from 25 and earn/lose points according to criteria important to the titles and genres themselves.

While not a commercial success, the first No More Heroes game was an instant cult-classic. It resonated with fans of the weird and unique Double AA games that were a staple of the Game Cube and PS2 era.

It is natural that a sequel to such games is rarely straightforwardly received. Fans are usually more critical, and more specific in their love for the game, and that is difficult to carry over in a sequel.

Which is why there will never be a consensus that No More Heroes 2 is better than its predecessor, despite that being the case.

"Just sit back Sylvia, and watch me raise hell"

NMH2 picks up a little after the first game ended. Previously becoming the first ranked assassin in the United Assassins Association, Travis Touchdown left all his glory behind and disappeared into the wild. In that time, an evil organization took control of his city, Saint Destroy, and somehow managed to rope Travis back into the ranked assassins battles in a "classic" revenge tale.

Except, there is nothing "classic" about how NMH2 operates. Take the evil organization for instance. It's a pizza corporation whose CEOs Travis killed in throwaway missions in the last game. Elsewhere, you get a mishmash of pop-culture references and styles that should fail to mix at any level, and yet somehow wildly succeeds.

At its core, this is no different than the first game. However, it manages to outdo it in every regard by taking everything up to eleven.

Most obvious is the general sexiness and lewdness of the game. If the first NMH was the top button missing, then NMH2 is a fully-exposed cleavage and then some. Somehow, the game manages to install a teasing sensuality to its every cutscene, mingling sex with violent bloodlust, confusing both Travis and ourselves.

Here, the violence of the game is often parodied, and our gratification ridiculed. Yet, it's not by relying on that parody that the game succeeds.

No, those are stylistic elements that can only go so far and could work against the game is exclusively relied upon. Instead, Travis actually grows as a character in this game, and the game shows, dare I say, some much-needed heart to it.

Better Story: +4
Excellent Sense of Style: +5

"Hold it you violence loving bastards!"

If it's not broken, don't fix it, and that's exactly what the sequel does to the very good combat system of the original. In effect, the game still employs the same hack & slash, with high and low attacks as well as all the other evasive and attacking moves.

What it does is incrementally improves the system.

Everything feels tighter to the press, with some of the unreliability of the first game ironed out. Attacks feel tighter, and while the combat is a little slower, you get more control as a result. One massive improvement is in how grapples are now instant kill moves, which doesn't make them useless and continues the flow of combat.

In the first game, the bosses were a highlight, and that doesn't change here. With more of them, we can forgive the few duds, especially since there are some seriously varied and fun fights that showcase the best of the fighting system.

Additionally, two different styles of gameplay were introduced with two new beam katana weapons, one which is just going to be the dominant style to use. A better system would have employed faster weapon switching (maybe even switch combos), but that's just an extra wish.

Good Exciting Combat +3
Very Good Boss Battles: +3

"Chicks love bug killers, even more than doctors and pro-athletes, it's a little-known fact"

One of the major complaints I had with the first game was its pointless "open world" and boring mandatory mini-games. Both have been wonderfully addressed.

First, the open world was scrapped in place of a simple map menu. That's more efficient use of your time. Second, the mini-games are no longer mandatory, but they became increasingly unique and fun to play, with financial awards and optional ability upgrades as a further incentive to play them.

Even without that incentive, these mini-games would be a lot of fun. Starting with the weird cat exercise game, it looks like they would only be a weird distraction. However, the mundane jobs are back, from bug catching to pizza delivery. Except, this time, each mini-game is nearly a fully fledged 8bit retro sample game.

Nearly each one of them is both challenging and satisfying by itself, but the availability of so many options makes for an interesting downtime between the game's levels. It is a significant improvement over the original in almost every way.

Excellent Mini-Games: +4

"He sliced me in half, sure, but he did it with gentlemanly grace"

What did not dramatically improve over the original is in its production department, with step upgrades at best, and some downgrades as well.

The game still retains its cool cell-shaded look, and enemy and character design are as good as it always has been. Yet, with increased combat, you see more of the same assets beings used, including repeating fodder models in bigger fights.

NMH has always hidden its lack of graphical muscle behind its amazing sense of style, and it mostly succeeds in the graphical department, except when you blot it up in larger TVs. Ultimately, the art direction is more important than raw graphical power.

The same cannot be said regarding the game's poor soundtrack, which is a step lower than the poor soundtrack of the last game, which was repetitive but decent. Here, at its best, it's repetitive, and inconsequential most of the time.

Besides the retro tunes in the mini-games, I struggled to connect with any of the game's tunes, even suspecting that I had the music volume at its lowest value at some point (I didn't).

Stylistic Grpahics: +4
Bad Soundtrack:-4

In Conclusion:

I liked NMH, but couldn't bring myself to love it. I cannot say that I love NMH2 either, but I can imagine myself having fond memories of the game. It is a solid improvement over the original while retaining the style that made it a cult-classic in the first place.

While I felt the first game reveled in being shocking and weird just for the sake of it, this is a game that starts out more shocking and weird but grounds itself in better characterization all around.

That, and with a massively improved mini-game collection, are two major reasons why I am firmly in the camp of the sequel.

Final: 44/50

"Tips"

1- Play with the cat after every mission to unlock one of the game's best moves.
2- If nothing else, play the fitness mini-games to improve your health and damage.
3- Keep guard to block enemy bullets.
4- for boss battles, try charging an attack to try and interrupt a boss mid-move. It works especially well (REQUIRED) in the final fights.
5- USe your grapples often, they are instant-kill moves now.

"Next Game"

I can understand why some would still say the first NMH is better, but I cam firmly in the camp of the second game, which doesn't sacrifice the spirit of the original but improves on it in noticeable ways.

Next game on the list is actually my final Wii Review based on the Gamesradar best Wii games list, and it's Sin and Punishment: Star Successor which #5 in that list. The reason it is the last game to be reviewed is that already played the top 4 games before. After this review, I will review two more games on the Wii that I didn't get the chance to play before, and then finalize my Wii review series for good.

Stay Tuned
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:07 pm

I liked that, I remember playing it.

Wii was quite underrated for it's library tbh because of the whole Wii sports and motion sensor gimmicks.

It had some genuinely good games, sometimes great.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 on Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:50 pm

Ratchet & Clank is fun. Good for free, can never see myself paying $60 for it.

#JUSTICE4General Games Discussion - Page 37 Lulcas11General Games Discussion - Page 37 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1Qm5HNgjLaUFoxTrAByV_TPaXaTm9kcWgsyrtiDOv7FlsWYRBGeneral Games Discussion - Page 37 ZidaneGeneral Games Discussion - Page 37 SmurffGeneral Games Discussion - Page 37 GhelyonGeneral Games Discussion - Page 37 Hungry_boyGeneral Games Discussion - Page 37 Lol-sign

Invisible Smilies 2012. Join the campaign.
M99
M99
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner on Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:56 pm

Yea it's quite a relaxing game. Apart from the bullshit that is racing.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:13 pm

@M99 wrote:Ratchet & Clank is fun. Good for free, can never see myself paying $60 for it.

Good job it was 30 on release then.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:23 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner on Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:49 pm

Damn that's hard.

One game only?
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze on Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:29 pm

that's an easy one

fifa 10
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:53 am

@RealGunner wrote:Damn that's hard.

One game only?

I mean I'm not going to force those rules on you if you find it too difficult.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 on Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:25 am

Metal Gear Solid #3 for me

The witcher 3 close behind, i had so much fun playing it

Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin on Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:28 am

Thats a very tough one for me, could easily name 20+ games

I think most of you know it probably

But dang so many freaking good games, like playing Ico in a dusty attic with the sunlight streaming in the lone window, or hiding under the blanket late on a school night trying to traverse the deadly hazards of Tallon IV in Metroid Prime, or raiding with guildies from all around Europe during WoTLK to finally down the Lich King, or spending a summer alone in the house with no internet trying to complete Okami. So many memorable experiencies, simply can’t choose one.

I’ll pick a more recent game for the sake of variety

The Last of Us

Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica on Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:53 am

Gothic 2 and Grim Fandango

Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:36 am

Lads !

Set in the 19th Century (1800's) Wizarding World, this 3rd person open-world action RPG game centers around your character with unique abilities who has eared a late acceptance to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. You are a newly arrived 5th year student to Hogwarts that demonstrates a latent gift for magic with a unique ability to track and identify remnants of a pottant ancient power.

Upon arrival, strange events begin to materialize In the Forbidden Forrest and trouble begins to brew within the castle walls. Together with Professor Elezar Fig, you embark on a journey through both familiar and never before seen locations to bring to light the truth behind these mysterious occurrences.

On your quest you will craft potions, master new spells, and discover fantastical beasts. You will battle Dark Wizards, Goblins, and other supernatural enemies and uncover the truth about your destiny - the Fate of the Wizarding World lies in your hands.

FEATURES
Journey to Hogwarts to become one of 8 different Wizard types
Experience Hogwarts, make new friends, uncover new secrets, and change the fate of the Wizarding world.
Experience a new magic system that creates countless possibilities to master magic.
Freely explore the Wizarding World for the first time.
Choose your house and friends at Hogwarts, and decide to pursue a path of good or evil.
Create your own witch or wizard, and experience a all new story separate from the books or films

Looks incredibly hard for someone to fake so i'm on #TeamReal
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica on Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:46 am

Never been Potter fan, too juvenile.

Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze on Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:22 pm

yet you have a Dragonball avatar Laughing
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica on Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:33 pm

DB was the time I was juvenile so there's that. Too old for nerdy hoccus poccus now.

Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy on Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:33 pm

@Harmonica wrote:DB was the time I was juvenile so there's that. Too old for nerdy hoccus poccus now.

And yet.... you have a Dragonball avatar hmm

Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:50 am

@Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Lads !

Set in the 19th Century (1800's) Wizarding World, this 3rd person open-world action RPG game centers around your character with unique abilities who has eared a late acceptance to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. You are a newly arrived 5th year student to Hogwarts that demonstrates a latent gift for magic with a unique ability to track and identify remnants of a pottant ancient power.

Upon arrival, strange events begin to materialize In the Forbidden Forrest and trouble begins to brew within the castle walls. Together with Professor Elezar Fig, you embark on a journey through both familiar and never before seen locations to bring to light the truth behind these mysterious occurrences.

On your quest you will craft potions, master new spells, and discover fantastical beasts. You will battle Dark Wizards, Goblins, and other supernatural enemies and uncover the truth about your destiny - the Fate of the Wizarding World lies in your hands.

FEATURES
Journey to Hogwarts to become one of 8 different Wizard types
Experience Hogwarts, make new friends, uncover new secrets, and change the fate of the Wizarding world.
Experience a new magic system that creates countless possibilities to master magic.
Freely explore the Wizarding World for the first time.
Choose your house and friends at Hogwarts, and decide to pursue a path of good or evil.
Create your own witch or wizard, and experience a all new story separate from the books or films

Looks incredibly hard for someone to fake so i'm on #TeamReal

This has been confirmed real btw.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy on Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:57 am

Looks pretty similar to Darksiders 2, which I have yet to complete due to  optional content that steered me in a neverending direction away from the main story Razz

In other news, The Harry Potter game above will not be developed by Rockstead, a rumor that has been debunked by Eurogamer. "It now looks likely that Avalanche studios, which is owned by Warner Brothers Games and are famous for their Disney Infinity games, are taking the reigns".

Last edited by Thimmy on Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza on Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:00 am

This is McAgger "Cartoons rofl " level

Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy on Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:04 am

I don't mind if the graphics isn't state of the art, as long as the gameplay is as good as it was in the prequels.

Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next