General Games Discussion

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

General Games Discussion - Page 38 Empty Re: General Games Discussion

Post by Thimmy on Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:04 am

I don't mind if the graphics isn't state of the art, as long as the gameplay is as good as it was in the prequels.

Thimmy
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza on Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:18 am

@Thimmy wrote:I don't mind if the graphics isn't state of the art, as long as the gameplay is as good as it was in the prequels.

I was speaking about Harmonica's Harry Potter comment.

Like when McAgger commented cartoons were kids only.

Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy on Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:23 am

Ah, my bad Thumbs up

Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza on Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:25 am

@Thimmy wrote:Ah, my bad Thumbs up

Nah. Should’ve quoted but didn’t notice the date, so I can see the confusion

Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica on Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:33 pm

I happen to know who is working on BG3 ?

— Brian Fargo (@BrianFargo) October 4, 2018
hmm

Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:02 pm

Yeah there's a rumour Larian are making it.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner on Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:05 pm

BG3?
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:06 pm

Baldurs Gate 3.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner on Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:07 pm

out
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner on Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:12 pm

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner on Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:30 pm

Guerrilla Games, the developer behind the Killzone series and Horizon Zero Dawn, has recently been hiring alumni from Ubisoft's Rainbow Six: Siege team to work on a secret project.

Mention of Guerrilla's "secret game" and the recent hired employees was spotted by an eagle-eyed ResetEra user. They pointed out that two former Rainbow Six: Siege developers joined Guerrilla this year to work on an unannounced game, and that Simon Larouche, Siege's game director, was also recruited.

Considering Guerrilla is hiring developers who have expertise with online multiplayer, it suggests that this secret title will either be a fully multiplayer game or have heavy online multiplayer components. This could mean a new entry to Killzone, something related to Horizon Zero Dawn's sequel, or a new IP altogether.

Keep in mind that without an official announcement from Guerrilla, this remains as speculation. It's worth noting, however, that Larouche previously worked on Killzone 2's multiplayer maps, which further hints that this could be Killzone related.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:04 am

Killzone 2 and 3 were great, never played Shadow Fall. Always hoped its free on PS+.

Speaking of which, next month's free games leaked. Bulletstorm and Yakuza Kiwami.

#JUSTICE4General Games Discussion - Page 38 Lulcas11General Games Discussion - Page 38 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1Qm5HNgjLaUFoxTrAByV_TPaXaTm9kcWgsyrtiDOv7FlsWYRBGeneral Games Discussion - Page 38 ZidaneGeneral Games Discussion - Page 38 SmurffGeneral Games Discussion - Page 38 GhelyonGeneral Games Discussion - Page 38 Hungry_boyGeneral Games Discussion - Page 38 Lol-sign

Invisible Smilies 2012. Join the campaign.
M99
M99
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer on Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:03 pm

Game: Enemy Zero.
Year: 1997.
Genre: Survival Horror, Adventure.
Publisher: Sega, WARP.
Developer: WARP.

General Games Discussion - Page 38 22868-enemy-zero-sega-saturn-front-cover

First things first, I am changing my rating system to a simpler 10 point system. Games that get above a 7 I fully recommend, and those that get below that are mostly a waste of time. That leaves the score of 7 to depend on your taste

The development story of Enemy Zero is an interesting footnote at the beginning of the 5th generation console wars. Initially conceived as PlayStation exclusive, WARP was discontent about Sony's handling of the game and its marketing. So, in a great show of contempt, the game was revealed in the PlayStation 1996 Tokyo Expo, with the PS logo slowly morphing into the Saturn's.

As such, Sega gained an exclusive that was well regarded at the time. However, in the great scheme of things, the PlayStation was not affected, and Enemy Zero is not worth much regard today.

"It's not human. It's something... else. Proceed with caution"

Attempting to upend the gameplay focused of games in the day, Enemy Zero clearly wanted to put its narrative at its center. As such, it was conceived by WARP as a "cinematic" experience. This means that a great deal of the game is spent watching early gen FMV scenes, as well as interacting within those prerendered locations in gameplay similar to classic Adventure titles.

The game and story are heavily inspired by the Aliens franchise. It takes place abroad the "Aki", a gigantic spaceship with a skeleton crew carrying some seriously dangerous cargo. When that cargo (some invisible monsters) finds itself loose, the game starts with the protagonist, Laura, figuring out they are in danger and that she needs to survive.

As expected, a lot of the crew find themselves dead, and the story unfolds in predictable beats to anyone who watched Aliens. Still, at this era in videogames history, Enemy Zero truly succeeds in its attempt to craft a narrative cinematic experience.

Despite what is now awkward acting, cringe-worthy dialogue, and laughable body language, those are things that were unique and well-executed the time. Sure, Jill Cunniff from the band Lucious Jackson did not provide much as the voice of Laura, but then Laura actually had a voice.

Today, we may be able to make fun of this game and its unnatural animations, but this did not age as bad as other, nor can the pedigree that was once there be ignored. It still is funny to see the character lips wildly move though.

"Your VPS tells you where your invisible enemies are"

The game is divided into two parts. A first-person adventure style sections where you have limited interactions with the pre-rendered environment, advancing the story and solving some rudimentary puzzles. And first-person action sections where you need to traverse the spaceship while avoiding and fighting the invisible monsters.

It is in the action gameplay that the game has its central conceit; its invisible enemies. While you may think that a horror game would capitalize on the enemy design to increase the scare factor, but sometimes the unseen can be scarier than what you can see.

Regardless, the invisible enemies are responsible for the central gimmick of the game. Mainly, that you are required to listen to the in-game sonar to guess the location of the enemies. Then, you must face in their direction, start charging your weapon just as you think they are advancing, trying to time the release of the charged shot right as they come into range.

Or die.

Admittedly, very few games ask you to use sound to "visualize" your surrounding, nevermind actually building the entire game on that premise. Sound comes in three pitches and varying frequencies, with the pitch denoting the monster's location, while the frequency signaling its proximity.

This increases the tension as the beeper starts ringing loudly, and since the controls in the first-person action sequences are actually pretty solid, it is usually the best part of the game. That is until you encounter the game's biggest mazes, which waste your time in trying to get from place A to B.

I understand one or two mazes where you are hunted by the enemy, but for most of the game being made of those mazes which sometimes require you travel several times through to charge your weapon, is just obtuse game design.

"Maybe for us.... this was a fortunate accident"

What is more obtuse is the extreme stupidity and extreme slowness of Laura as your main character. Playing the adventure sections, you basically point the camera towards fixed angles, move forward, and interact if there are points of interaction.

An entire small action can take an entire minute.

Also, you can interact with a computing, where every action here also feels like it takes minutes just to complete.

Then comes the act of solving "puzzles", which basically require you to scour a room, very slowly, for key items that you then must use in sequence to advance. It is not enough that you have the key card in your inventory to open the door. No, you must actually enter your inventory and use it, which takes another minute or two.

If somehow you make the mistake of interacting with a door you have the key card for, you must then watch as Laura, the freaking co-pilot of the ship, look at it with utter confusion and do the most stupid shrug in the universe.

Here, the game's lack of direction, the slow speed of the FMV scenes the game batters you over the head with, all come to head. With a game experience that feels like sucking the essence of your time, leaving you to regret sands in the hourglass that you will never regain.

All you can do is stupidly shrug I guess.

"Girl, I thought I would wake up and see the bright blue sky of Earth"

At the time, this was a really good looking game, especially on the weaker Saturn hardware. It was one of the few games to use multiple discs, and that's mostly due to the several FMV scenes. Mostly, you can see that the human models were pretty respectable, as well as some of the choice locations on the ship.

Otherwise, the detail in the first-person action scenes was lacking, and there is a clear case of robotic animations. Both can be forgiven in the grand scheme of things as the game medium is developing, and nothing is quite jarring as to be unplayable.

Still, more environmental details in the action sequences would have made navigating the mazes a little easier.

In the sound department, the soundtrack was well-celebrated in the time and I can see why. It is a complex and atmospheric track that fits very well with the theme of the game. Employing repetitive keystrokes and an eerie style, it reminds me of the quiet elegance of the Jaws soundtrack.

While the sound quality in the game is not as good as the orchestral version, it still conveys the spirit and style of the soundtrack well enough.

In Conclusion:

I can clearly see why Enemy Zero was well regarded at the time. It aimed for a cinematic narrative experience at just the right time and had the production chops to back its typical story. With a boatload of FMV scene and a killer soundtrack, players maybe ignored the boring voice acting (which was actually good in Japan) and the similar location.

Maybe, they even forgave the very slow adventure gameplay and boring repetitive mazes. Yet, those are flaws that are difficult to forgive today and are enough for me to recommend what is otherwise a historically important game.

It just isn't worth seeing any more of Laura's stupid shrugs.

Final: 5/10

Pros:

• Historically important game.
  • Unique gameplay hook.
  • Great atmospheric soundtrack.

Cons:

• Slow and stupid adventure gameplay.
  • Severe lack of direction.
  • Repetetive and boring gameplay.

"Tips"
1- Play the training stage in Disc 0 to get a hang with the audio-based gameplay.
2- Start charging the weapon just as the frequency hits danger levels.
3- If in doubt about the enemy location, just run away.
4- Save often.
5- Make sure your weapon is always charged (go back to charge your weapon).

"Next Game"

I expected Enemy Zero to be dated graphically, but it turned out okay in that front but is dated in its slow gameplay. Minus adventure style bits, it would have been maybe a better game.

Next game on the list is one I would surely enjoy. Apart from the stupid story and terrible VA, Megam Man 8, which sits at #69, is considered a very solid action game. This was also released on the PS1 but I have heard that the Saturn version is its best version.

Stay Tuned
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica on Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:56 pm

WH focus still relies on Kingdom Come: Deliverance and its DLCs.

The whole team is working on it, but we also have already plans for KCD2, and Daniel is indeed not scouting for a map expansion for a DLC, but he is already thinking about where to go next.

Nothing is set in stone so far about the next KCD game, which will come out in a couple of years from now, this is just a small task force of Warhorse members planing ahead as a side-task while the core of the team is working on DLCs and Bugfixes. There are no assets, no gameplay mechanics or anything existing of KCD2 yet, and nobody is working on it so far.

The full fledged development of KCD2 can start after the release of the last DLC A Womans lot and modding support for KCD. All DLCs are within the Story of KCD1, while KCD2 will show what will come after the end of KCD1.

So it is not completely true, that Kingdom Come 2 is “no topic at all” for Warhorse Studios, as we are indeed working on plans about it, thinking ahead, but the development in itself hasn´t been started yet. The team is still working on Kingdom Come: Deliverance and its DLCs.

From a perspective of communications, KCD2 doesn´t matter at all, there is nothing to talk about it yet than, yes, there will be a second part continuing with the story at some point in the far future.

For now, we are Working on the DLCs, Mod-Support and Bugfixes for Kingdom Come: Deliverance. That's our focus.

Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy on Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:54 pm

Apparently, Microsoft has purchased Obsidian Games.

Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze on Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:16 pm

with a legit budget behind them they can def be a big coup, not mad at that since I'd just play their games on PC
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:16 pm

Name changes finally happening lol.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2018/10/10/psn-online-id-change-feature-enters-playstation-preview-program-soon/
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy on Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:53 pm

@Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Name changes finally happening lol.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2018/10/10/psn-online-id-change-feature-enters-playstation-preview-program-soon/

It was announced last week or so. Didn't bother posting it here since I didn't think people cared. I'll probably just leave it as it is.

Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:21 pm

It wasn't announced till today hmm

People might have mentioned rumors but PlayStation didn't say anything till today.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy on Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:38 pm

@Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:It wasn't announced till today hmm

People might have mentioned rumors but PlayStation didn't say anything till today.

If I'm not mistaken, it was Eurogamer who announced it last week. I suppose their word isn't good enough for it to be considered official hmm Was ImmaculateMole taken, by the way?

Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:41 pm

Oh I missed that lol.

I never even looked to see if ImmaculateMole was taken btw lol.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy on Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:43 pm

It wouldn't be immaculate if it was taken.

Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin on Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:48 pm

@Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Name changes finally happening lol.

12 freaking years

Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca on Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:32 pm

@Freeza wrote:
@Thimmy wrote:I don't mind if the graphics isn't state of the art, as long as the gameplay is as good as it was in the prequels.

I was speaking about Harmonica's Harry Potter comment.

Like when McAgger commented cartoons were kids only.

You still remember that too?

Imagine having that opinion Laughing

NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze on Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:38 pm

I was hyped at first but then I thought about it and the major issues are still going to be there;

every name under the sun has been taken, since you could sign up for free PSN accounts back in the day, people made dozens. When I first got my PS3 in 2013, it took me legitimately about 100 attempts before I got a name that wasn't taken. That's still going to be a thing.

They need to let names have a space in them.

Who gives a shit if you can finally change from UltimateCarnage247 if you can only change to another name with 6 digits on the end of it.
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze on Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:43 pm

PC lads

Ultrawide Monitor vs Dual Monitor, preference? leaning towards Ultrawide rn
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine