How highly do you rate David Silva?

Go down

How highly do you rate David Silva?

Post by messixaviesta on Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:08 pm

So consistent in the league. Such a wonderful play maker. Plays well for Spain as well.

Looking at the best of midfielders ever how highly would you rate him?

Do you think there is something missing? I feel there is a lack of those big moments that define a legendary player's career.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Re: How highly do you rate David Silva?

Post by rincon on Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:49 pm

Extremely far from the best midfielders ever. He is consistent now but until this point he would disappear for too long through the seasons.
rincon
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy on Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:15 pm

No offense to Man City or fans of the club, but his development stagnated for several years after he transferred from Valencia. He used to be among my favorite players in La Liga, and he never lived up to the potential I think he had. Still a great player, though.

Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Private

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon on Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:25 pm

^Same. Loved him when he broke through and saw him in the EC08. Thought he would be huge, a lot better than what he became.
rincon
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner on Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:31 pm

In terms of all-time offensive-minded PL midfielders:
1. Ozil
2. Gerrard
3. Lampard
4. Cantona
5. Fabregas
6. Silva

World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta on Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:25 pm

Thanks for the replies. Hope to read some more.

How would you compare David Silva to players like Mesut Ozil, Cesc Fabregas, Luka Modric, Kevin De Bruyne, etc. ?

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze on Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:27 pm

Eriksen is already on his way to being better than Silva after a few seasons all time in the PL IMO. This is actually one, if not his best ever PL season in terms of consistency IMO. He's been fantastic this season..but like others have said, far too inconsistent in previous years. Very enjoyable to watch when he's at his best though.
Firenze
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill on Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:55 am

he's a good player that's it. all time great, nope. and of that list ozil fabregas modric de bruyne , i'd pick both ozil and modric ahead of him. had fabregas stayed at arsenal, despite not winning i may have put him ahead of silva as the best football he played was whilst at arsenal, i still think his failure to make it at barcelona crushed him

he's a good player but i concur with most of what others have mentioned above. he just hasn't stood out enough to be in any pantheon of all time greats. once upon a time i wanted him at madrid to play down the wings for us when he was at valencia (trust them not to sell anyone to us)
titosantill
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca on Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:05 am

Kinda incredible reading this. Reading this you would be under the impression that he's just been a good midfielder in the EPL but that's it.

He's been a vital cog in a team that's won the premier league twice and is a game away from his third premier league title. He's been consistently one of their best players this entire time (Yaya, Aguero probably the other two). Consistently one of the most creative players in the league, always makes the right decisions.

With his NT success, you can call him one of the more successful midfielders of the last 15 years at least. Though he was never a transcendent player for Spain.

He won't go down as one of the EPL's best midfielders, he won't go down as one of Spain's best ever either, I think. However, when you go into more specifics, he probably has a place in one of the EPL's better AM's. I think he might be remembered as a Pires type. A vital player in a team that had a lot of success, but maybe not immediately coming to mind as one of the EPL greats.

I think it's difficult to call him an all time great, but I don't think anyone ever expected that. But he's been a very good player for a while. Perhaps only CL success can be counted against him, and that's fair. To be sure though, he's not played on a team with FUTBOL 'ERITAGE

NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Shakhtar Donetsk

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans on Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:48 am

Alwys has been a hugely underrated player due to playing through his prime for such a forgettable club.

Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : FC Bayern

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon on Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:52 am

He hasn't though. He has been rated as one of the best in the PL for years. Even when he would disappear he would still be praised as one of the best.

Is that underrating him? do you think he is one of the best ever?
rincon
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans on Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:04 pm

@rincon wrote:He hasn't though. He has been rated as one of the best in the PL for years. Even when he would disappear he would still be praised as one of the best.

Maybe underrated is not quite the word. But flying under the radar to some extent.
For example, has never been in the FIFpro world XI once with a finished Iniesta walking in it every year even if his season total is one goal 4 assists or something.
It's because City have been so nonexistant in the CL that I would argue he's benn flying a bit under the radar

Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze on Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:26 pm

the FIFPro World 11 is a popularity contest won by the same dinosaurs year after year,, Not that Silva has ever warranted being included. IDK about rest of the world but trust me in the PL among pundits etc he is overrated if anything. They have him as an all time great, one of the best ever. @Mole
Firenze
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta on Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:20 pm

@Hapless_Hans wrote:
@rincon wrote:He hasn't though. He has been rated as one of the best in the PL for years. Even when he would disappear he would still be praised as one of the best.

Maybe underrated is not quite the word. But flying under the radar to some extent.
For example, has never been in the FIFpro world XI once with a finished Iniesta walking in it every year even if his season total is one goal 4 assists or something.
It's because City have been so nonexistant in the CL that I would argue he's benn flying a bit under the radar

See my understanding of the Fifpro World XI is that its not much about the current year but more about your respect and stature among footballers worldwide. If you want to look at a more relevant world XI year on year consider the Uefa team of the year.

I feel David Silva is certainly good enough to have made at least one appearance there but he hasn't and that is due to the lack of big moments that I mentioned earlier. He won the world cup but was a passenger. He won two Euros and was an integral part of both teams but as CB mentioned he was never the star player or outstanding performer when it mattered the most. His best performances for Spain have come in friendlies. Not winning a single UCL is certainly a black mark. Then there are the league titles but even there it's some other player who got more credit be it Yaya Toure, Sergio Aguero or Kevin De Bruyne.
messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by danyjr on Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:51 pm

Imagine if Mata, Silva, Villa, Isco were all still playing for Valencia.

GOAT team imho.

First Team

Club Supported : Boca Juniors

http://www.tikitakatoom.tk

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans on Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:10 pm

didn't Isco play for Malaga

Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill on Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:14 pm

He was at Valencia before Malaga
futbol_bill
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans on Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:20 pm

Right. I see. Never played for the first team though.

Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc on Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:12 pm

The year he was about to make 1st team, Malaga snapped him up so yeah, never made 1st team but he was at Valencia.

As for Silva, nowhere near and would never be part of the best midfielders discussion but he is still a fine footballer nonetheless. City fans would call him a PL legend however and I wouldn't blame them for that.

World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down