Andrew Robertson Appreciation Thread

Go down

Andrew Robertson Appreciation Thread

Post by Hapless_Hans on Thu May 03, 2018 6:13 pm

What a player, what a relevation.

Signed from Hull City for 8m £ last summer, he barely featured at all during his first few months at Liverpool, before a Moreno injury provided the opportunity for him to get a string of starts.
He's been first choice ever since, and I have not seen him play a single bad game.
He's been consistently very good, and absolutely fantastic at times.

I will say that he has been the best left back in the PL 17/18

Let's take a moment to look back at how he got here

@Nishankly wrote:Robertson in 2012

SportsJoe.ie wrote:Andy Robertson has graduated from the Queen's Park academy and, at 18, he's lying around in the summer just waiting for the Queen's Park season to start so he can make his debut for the senior team.

Who the *bleep* is Queen's Park, you ask?
Easy. Glasgow side. Amateur. Actually, they're the only fully-amateur club who today play in the Scottish Professional Football League.
So, when you're playing for Queen's Park, you're operating at a decent standard of amateur football but, essentially, you're still looking for a job. So was Andy Robertson.

That was five and a half years ago, and 18-year-old Andrew Robertson did get a job.
He worked for the ticket hotline of Queen's Park F.C. home ground, Glasgow's Hampden Park, 40 hours a week, Monday-Friday 9 to 5.
Two times a week, after work he went to training, as on the weekend he also played for Queen's Park FC in the Scottish Football League Third Division, then the fourth tier of Scottish football.
Those of the few hundred fans watching the games who had ordered tickets via phone had probably ordered them from Robertson.

It's no hard to see why Robertson thought he needed to find employment apart from football, having been sent away from Celtic's academy at age 15 for being too small and too skinny.
"It was tough, as I'd been a Celtic fan from birth", he says about that time.

The Sunday Post wrote:During his time at [Queen's Park], he was on an amateur contract so wasn’t getting paid. His full-time job was also at Hampden – answering the phones in the ticket centre for concerts and matches.

Robertson had joined the club having been released by Celtic, making his debut in front of a crowd of less than 400 people at the age of 18.

Playing for Queen's Park, he was still hoping for scouts in the audience, and for the chance to become a professional footballer. He had made a deal with his parents that he had 12 months playing football, until he was to concentrate looking for another career path.

He was noticed, and bought by Dundee United in summer 2013, where he was named PFA Scotland Young Player of the Year in 13/14, then went to Hull in 2014 for 2.85m £, where he was relegated, promoted, and relegated again.

Now he's playing in the Champions League final, having just turned 24.

http://www.spox.com/de/sport/fussball/international/england/1802/Artikel/liverpools-linksverteidiger-andrew-robertson-verliebt-in-den-ticketverkaeufer.html
https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/queens-park-hail-former-player-andy-robertson-as-he-reaches-champions-league-final-with-liverpool/
https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/tweet-2012-andy-robertson-158927

Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : FC Bayern

Back to top Go down

Re: Andrew Robertson Appreciation Thread

Post by Firenze on Thu May 03, 2018 6:35 pm

I mean, it's a nice humble origin story for him. But the reason for him being in the CL final is Salah.

Let's not act like this guy is anything special though, he will be at Stoke in 18 months. He has one of the lowest Whoscored ratings for a starter in his position in the league. Don't want to hear how he's a good player. He isn't, and he also isn't some youth player. He should be in his prime/entering his prime. He's a stop-gap for Liverpool at LB.
Firenze
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre on Thu May 03, 2018 6:37 pm

I expect Firenze to say he is new Flanagan

Watched just 3 times, no idea, better than Moreno though
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : FC MacLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre on Thu May 03, 2018 6:38 pm

^^^ Almost Very Happy
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : FC MacLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly on Thu May 03, 2018 11:01 pm

He's been really good, I thought he'd be no one but he's the best we've had since 2009 Riise.
Nishankly
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by BusterLfc on Fri May 04, 2018 12:17 am

He was good in Hull the season before, but this season he exploded. I thought it was a good deal for cheap,  but the way he's been playing, I'd say he's a long term solution for LB position, he's been tremendous this season.
BusterLfc
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique on Fri May 04, 2018 12:58 am

Best LB in England. Gary Neville also thinks so

World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis on Fri May 04, 2018 9:18 am

Had the beating of the more experienced Florenzi comfortably over both legs, that's for sure.

Was largely impressed by both him and Arnold.

Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down