EL Final 17/18 | Marseille Vs Atlético Madrid

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Re: EL Final 17/18 | Marseille Vs Atlético Madrid

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Wed May 16, 2018 3:47 pm

@Doc wrote:Good footballers who got beaten by better footballers. Pretty simple and yet has certain elegance about it.

Not when the players in question that Art is talking about have failed to perform at any decent level in their careers.

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc on Wed May 16, 2018 3:50 pm

They are clearly performing at a decent level because they are playing top level football in Ligue 1. However, they are facing Atletico, a team that has no business being in the Europa League as they are a legit top side. This match showed the serious difference in tactics and skill.

I know you guys like to look down on French football but this was a ridiculously lopsided final. It's not like Marseille were playing some jabroni side.

People of Eternia! I stand before the Great Eye of the galaxy. Chosen by destiny to receive the powers of Greyskull! This inevitable moment will transpire before your eyes, even as He-Man himself bears witness to it. Now. I, Skeletor, am Master of the Universe!
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Wed May 16, 2018 3:52 pm

Ligue 1 and top level football Laughing

Nah.

Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by The Demon of Carthage on Wed May 16, 2018 3:54 pm

@Doc wrote:Good footballers who got beaten by better footballers. Pretty simple and yet has certain elegance about it.

It looked pretty one-sided to me. Marseille got fairly beaten and I didn't even feel Atlético were working that hard for it. They looked quite comfortable and in control throughout the game.

Still, let's not be too harsh on Marseille. They are inexperienced and were unlucky enough to face a seasoned European heavyweight. They could've definitely played better, but there's no shame in losing to this Atlético side, especially when you're playing with Gustavo and that blond-haired dude with the glorious shot.

The Demon of Carthage
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning on Wed May 16, 2018 3:55 pm

Pretty sure some Man U fans were boosting about their EL as a big trophy, and added to it the cups and said they won a freakin trouble though Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy This definitely has been a successful season for them, finishing second above Real too.

Have always said Ateltcio comfotably the best team in this comp and they have shown it. The other second favourite was Arsenal I think it was, overrated as usual.
BarcaLearning
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan on Wed May 16, 2018 4:00 pm

@Art Morte wrote:
@farfan wrote:
@Art Morte wrote:

The Fulham flop Mitroglue plays for Marseille now? I don't know where to go from here. The worst EL final ever.

So that's what define players for you? a failed spell in England?

Well what is a better measurement in this instance? Premier League flops Thauvin and Mitroglue tear it up in France, but showcase absolutely nothing against a proper opposition in Atletico. How are we supposed to rate these players, then?

First of all Mitroglou isn't tearing anything up in France Laughing and if getting shut down by Atletico is the benchmark that determines if a player is a scrub or not, then the vast majority of players in the world would fall in that category.

What did Arsenal players do against Atletico in the semis? nothing. and the only goal came from a Ligue 1 player.
farfan
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Manchester City

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc on Wed May 16, 2018 4:05 pm

@farfan wrote:
@Art Morte wrote:
@farfan wrote:

So that's what define players for you? a failed spell in England?

Well what is a better measurement in this instance? Premier League flops Thauvin and Mitroglue tear it up in France, but showcase absolutely nothing against a proper opposition in Atletico. How are we supposed to rate these players, then?

First of all Mitroglou isn't tearing anything up in France Laughing and if getting shut down by Atletico is the benchmark that determines if a player is a scrub or not, then the vast majority of players in the world would fall in that category.

What did Arsenal players do against Atletico in the semis? nothing. and the only goal came from a Ligue 1 player.

Forget Arsenal, PL's other representative Everton finished below Lyon in the group stages by a massive 10 points (could be 11).

People of Eternia! I stand before the Great Eye of the galaxy. Chosen by destiny to receive the powers of Greyskull! This inevitable moment will transpire before your eyes, even as He-Man himself bears witness to it. Now. I, Skeletor, am Master of the Universe!
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze on Wed May 16, 2018 4:07 pm

@Doc wrote:
@farfan wrote:
@Art Morte wrote:

Forget Arsenal, PL's other representative Everton finished below Lyon in the group stages by a massive 10 points (could be 11).

wasn't that pre Big Sam though? not the same thing IMO. if he had been at the helm from the start of the tournament, Griezmann would have gone trophy-less in another European final tonight IMO.
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc on Wed May 16, 2018 4:10 pm

Funny you should mention Fat Sam, he made the UEFA Cup with Bolton and made the KO rounds with them, losing to Marseille, a Ligue 1 side. So he probably would have ended up losing to Griezmann or PL flops Thauvin and others.

Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze on Wed May 16, 2018 4:13 pm

That's actually a big achievement, like making the knockouts with Alcorcón . Elite manager Proud
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc on Wed May 16, 2018 4:15 pm

I remember it was a big deal at the time, They had a serious journyman squad. Guys like Campo, Hierro, Anelka, etc. Actually, Everton probably would have made KO rounds with him come to think of it instead of finishing below FarfanLyon and Atalanta.

Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre on Wed May 16, 2018 5:17 pm

Not even turned on tv today for this , another expected result Proud
We are becoming as rugby
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by S on Wed May 16, 2018 5:23 pm

@Robespierre wrote:Not even turned on tv today for this , another expected result Proud
We are becoming as rugby

Better switch to cricket then

We have an Ajax equivalent that can still win  world cups

@Doc
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre on Wed May 16, 2018 5:30 pm

@S wrote:
@Robespierre wrote:Not even turned on tv today for this , another expected result Proud
We are becoming as rugby

@Doc

Not sure if Italy have a NT cricket but it can't be worse than Italyrugby tbh
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by S on Wed May 16, 2018 5:33 pm

@Robespierre wrote:
@S wrote:
We are becoming as rugby

@Doc

Not sure if Italy have a NT cricket but it can't be worse than Italyrugby tbh

You actually do ffs. Ranked 28th in the world ufff

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italy_national_cricket_team

Seems like lot of (South) Asians represent your team plus some Aussies of Italian origin

Last edited by S on Wed May 16, 2018 5:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly on Wed May 16, 2018 5:34 pm

Cricket is not a sport Laughing

Also I assume Sports was supporting both teams today right?
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc on Wed May 16, 2018 5:44 pm

Sports is definitely not an Atleti supporter. Only Old man Bill and sometimes Hala tend to support Atleti.

Also, Surag, Ajax never went ten years unbeaten in any capacity. Bad comparison.

Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Wed May 16, 2018 5:46 pm

Ajax didn't face a bunch of overweight Englishmen either.

Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc on Wed May 16, 2018 6:02 pm

Because those overweight Englishman were the only teams they faced right?

Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly on Wed May 16, 2018 6:05 pm

@Doc wrote:Because those overweight Englishman were the only teams they faced right?

Everyone in it overweight, Its called gentleman's sport for a reason.
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy on Wed May 16, 2018 6:22 pm

Everyone can *bleep* off

/thread

World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Wed May 16, 2018 6:29 pm

@Doc wrote:Because those overweight Englishman were the only teams they faced right?

According to the stories I was told as a kid yes.

Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill on Thu May 17, 2018 6:34 am

@Firenze wrote:Atletico succeeding us as the princes of Europe, uff. I doubt they give a shit about it but I like to think that somewhere out there a lone Atletico fan on a Spanish footballing forum will use this win as valuable ammunition to justify the club's season as a success. Though it will be harder for them since they crashed out of the CL groups.

For a team generally considered #3 in Spain, finishing 2Nd in liga and winning EL cup, that’s about as good it gets for them. Sure they had a failed CL run, but Real also had a failed liga campaign and Barca a failed CL run. But at end of day, there is a real argument that these 3 Spanish teams are the best of all.

Certainly I say Atleti’s season was better than your Man U season!

Last edited by futbol_bill on Thu May 17, 2018 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
futbol_bill
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica on Thu May 17, 2018 6:38 am

@futbol_bill wrote:
@Firenze wrote:Atletico succeeding us as the princes of Europe, uff. I doubt they give a shit about it but I like to think that somewhere out there a lone Atletico fan on a Spanish footballing forum will use this win as valuable ammunition to justify the club's season as a success. Though it will be harder for them since they crashed out of the CL groups.

For a team generally considered #3 in Spain, finishing 2Nd in liga and winning EL cup, that’s about as it gets for them. Sure they had a failed CL run, but Real also had a failed liga campaign and Barca a failed CL run. But at end of day, there is a real argument that these 3 Spanish teams are the best of all.

Certainly I say Atleti’s season was better than your Man U season!
Lmao, EL is minor competition slightly above national cup, and RefL is slightly above that. Only competition you can use to compare these teams is Liga Florentino Perez, where they play against each other and the same opponents, and because there's so many games, refs can't give win to Refdrid in every single one of them. Barca shat on both teams from Madrid.

Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by breva on Thu May 17, 2018 9:51 am

There is even an Under 17 Italian cricket team:

breva
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down