So Fakenaldo never proved himself in the World Cup

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Re: So Fakenaldo never proved himself in the World Cup

Post by juvealbanian on Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:46 pm

@Harmonica wrote:Portugal has Euro winning team, that won it with Fakenaldo playing like shit, and even won France without him. There's no excuses, Fakenaldo is a World Cup flop, Euro flop, never proved himself in either, which makes him a national team flop too.

At least this guy won Euro Cup and still outperformed Messi this WC with Messi having a better team at his back.

juvealbanian
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica on Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:49 pm

@juvealbanian wrote:
@Harmonica wrote:Portugal has Euro winning team, that won it with Fakenaldo playing like shit, and even won France without him. There's no excuses, Fakenaldo is a World Cup flop, Euro flop, never proved himself in either, which makes him a national team flop too.

At least this guy won Euro Cup and still outperformed Messi this WC with Messi having a better team at his back.
Messi has World Cup Golden Ball and Copa America MVP, proved himself in both competitions, with a team that couldn't even qualify for the World Cup without him. Messi has played every World Cup better than Fakenaldo bar 2006.

Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning on Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:19 pm

@Thimmy wrote:I don't care much for the Messi vs C. Ronaldo arguments, in regard to who is better. I think it's well established that Messi has more overall talent, and then it's arguable whether or not C. Ronaldo uses his talent more effectively, in terms of being more decisive when it matters. At the end of the day, they have fundamentally different playing styles, different ways of approaching the game, and different qualities.

That aside, I still think it's very obvious that Argentina have a superior team to Portugal, based on individual talent. However, Portugal looks like a far more cohesive unit, and have probably been the most solid and consistent counter-attacking team in this tournament. I think their bottleneck is CR. From what I can tell, Portugal have found and identity for themselves, they have a game plan. Argentina don't. Portugal is clearly built around Cristiano, yet it's been evident for both club and country that he no longer has the stamina to perform at the required level every week. Sure, he ran his ass off against Spain, but it left him huffing and puffing on the ground, as soon as the match was finished. The team simply isn't good enough to provide enough scoring opportunities for him, and he seldom creates them for himself these days.

Although past his best, Messi is still capable of creating goalscoring chances for himself, prime Messi was the best I've ever witnessed in that respect. He's a brilliant playmaker who can set up others. However, every time he intends to go for goal, you can smell him from a mile away. He no longer possesses the exceptional ability to get away with reliably cruising past multiple defenders and go straight for goal, even when they know what he's about to do. Neither Messi, nor C. Ron seem to be quite at the level required to "carry their teams", at this point in their careers. Initially, I had higher expectations towards Messi's Argentina, purely based on the fact that they had much greater, overall talent than Portugal had. Obviously, we've all seen how little that talent matters when the individuals play without confidence in themselves, nor their coach or their team mates.

A lot of good points there. I think this WC a lot of the teams have prepared very well and defended against the top teams and stars, stopping most of them from really performing at their best. Add to that a number of factors you mentioned. For their clubs in the league especially when the environment is more suited and the opponents are often weaker if that can be said? They can still do it often, but the WC has been a different story.

I think as they continue to age, we would have to get more used to the football world without two superhuman beings able to win or dominate a game on their own like they have done so often during their prime years which have lasted for so long.
BarcaLearning
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica on Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:51 am

And never will.

Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor