Freeza
RealGunner
El Gunner
34 posters

Page 17 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Movie House - Part 11 - Page 17 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 11

Post by Vlad the Impaler Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:59 pm

Haven't seen Cold War yet, but there's always overrated movies nominated for the Oscars. Also, haven't seen a single one nominated for the best picture yet. This is also because I am waiting for good 1080p releases and not going to the cinema. I gotta catch up with a lot of movies. I am so curious.

Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:05 pm

At least a bad foreign film getting a best director nomination is progress.

It also got a deserved cinematography nom tbf.

How the German film got one is beyond me.

3/5 cinematography nominations were foreign films.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad the Impaler Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:15 pm

Can't say much about them cause they're still on my watchlist.
I know I am not in a position to judge right now, but Oscars looked much more solid last year and two years ago, didn't they? I mean in terms of the quality and competition in every area of nominations. This is just a superficial impression, but what do you think?
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:28 pm

Last year was trash imo. At least the winners. Three Billboards and Shape of Water shouldn't have received anything.

Daniel Day Lewis was robbed.

Willem Dafoe was robbed.

Florida Project, Phantom Thread, Call me By Your Name were all incredible and they gave it to the lesser films.

Overall I think this year's been good. Burning, Shoplifters, Roma, A Star is Born all great for me. Mission Impossible is my favourite of the year.
I think the American Oscar contender I've seen so far have failed.

Going to see The Favourite this thursday though. Last one I've got hope for.

Burning was robbed though.. Can't believe anyone would think Cold War is superior to that shit Laughing
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:29 pm

Also I can't remember the last time a film as objectively bad as Bohemian Rhapsody was nominated.

It might be the worst film that's ever been nominated for best picture, and I'm not kidding here.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad the Impaler Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:50 pm

Yeah, but I am not necessarily talking about the winners. Agreed with Call Me by Your Name and Phantom Thread being underachievers. Surprisingly, I realized I still have Florida Project bookmarked and I have to watch it asap. Dunkirk was also a solid option for Best Picture and Denzel Washington's performance was sensational as Roman J. Israel, although he got possibly the least attention. But hey, that is the past, let's focus on the now.

So, I gotta have hope for some of the movies nominated this year, right? I admit that I am indeed hyped to watch those you've mentioned. Not sure that I can wait any longer for quality 1080p releases.

Ah, I haven't seen Mission Impossible since Ghost Protocol. Watched the first half of it, fell asleep bored to death and since then I totally lost interest, but the last one has a notably high metascore (86). Might give 'em a chance after all. It's been so many years without Ethan Hunt in my life. Laughing

Regarding Bohemian Rhapsody (which I feel less and less motivated to watch), I kind of anticipated this. It's just one of those "hype-train" movies that's fooling almost everybody. I know there are a lot of people who were disappointed with it and fairly criticized it for being average or below average, but I know hell of a lot of other people, let's say, less knowledgeable when it comes to films, that simply took the bait of some controversial and super popular motives from the industry, put near the image of one of the most popular rockstars of the last century. Plus, I believe it has the whole commercial feeling of a typical Hollywood blockbuster. Correct me if I am wrong. I'm Not There, which is a wonderful movie with a superb cast, has only got a nomination compared to the 5 that Rhapsody Boem has received.

Last edited by Vlad the Impaler on Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:55 pm

The new one is one of the two most breakneck paced action movies I've ever seen.

It's up there with Fury Road as the best action movie of this milennia without a doubt. But it didn't have the same kind of awards buzz sadly.

Those stunt were just mesmerizing. And Cavill's character was such a fresh breath of air for the franchise. First counter part to Cruise that was credible since PHS (r.i.p).
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:57 pm

This, btw, is my top 10 list so far the year (2018 american releases).

1. MI6
2. A Star is Born
3. A Simple Favor
4. A Quiet Place
5. Game Night
6. Paddington 2
7. Shoplifters
8. Widows
9. The House That Jack Built
10. Ant-Man and The Wasp

https://letterboxd.com/manuelehsaei/list/top-10-2018/

Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad the Impaler Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:10 pm

Nice! I still didn't switch from IMDb to Letterboxd and some of you suggested me to do this almost 3 years ago. I created an account, but I found it dull to manually go through all the movies I've seen. I'll probably give it another try, maybe they implemented some functionality to import external lists.

Was talking to a friend that we should watch A Quiet Place. I am not into horrors and the last one I watched was The Conjuring, in 2017. It was good. But, A Quiet Place and Hereditary caught my attention today and I put them into my watchlist. I'll watch them when I'll find some me time, cause my girlfriend can't watch horror, she's always scared to death. Laughing

I've recently discovered Paddington and I also wanna watch those two.

The Ant-man and the Thor movies are the only ones I've not seen from Marvel. I tried watching Thor long ago, but I didn't like it. Black Panther is still on the external HDD waiting for me. I kinda lost interest in this kind of movies in the last two or three years. Not sure why.

Thanks for the list! There are a few films in your list that I'll definitely watch in the coming weeks. I'll probably be back to give my 2 cents about them.
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:49 pm

M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mamad Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:15 pm

Watched 6 minutes ( Ride of the Rohirrim ) of lord of the rings again after 6 years. best trilogy of all time. greatest movies ever made. goat soundtrack also.
Mamad
Mamad
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Mamad Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:20 pm

Why can't they make movies like that again? Marvel and DC are ruining movie industry.
Mamad
Mamad
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:19 pm

Mamad wrote:Why can't they make movies like that again? Marvel and DC are ruining movie industry.

They are quite literally remaking Lord of The Rings.

Also, there's plenty of incredible movies to watch, but I doubt you've ever made an effort to find them given that statement.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Mamad Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:28 pm

We have a very different definition of "incredible movies" then.

No Marvel movie is incredible. at best they are entertaining.
Mamad
Mamad
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:33 pm

Mamad wrote:We have a very different definition of "incredible movies" then.

No Marvel movie is incredible. at best they are entertaining.

What are you even trying to say?
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Mamad Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:43 pm

Don't respond when you don't understand what i'm saying.
Mamad
Mamad
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:54 pm

Mamad wrote:Don't respond when you don't understand what i'm saying.

Ironic statement given you didn't understand my post Laughing

I never said a Marvel movie was incredible, despite the fact I might think so.

I said there's a lot of incredible movies overall, and if you can't find them then it's because you don't want to and just like to moan about superhero movies destroying the industry, despite they might be the actual movies that are saving an industry where people don't want to watch traditional genres outside their homes.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by The Madrid One Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:37 am

El Gunner wrote:Not entirely ^ played in a few movies as well, including the great Prestige by Christopher Nolan. Imagine my surprise when I found out that Duncan Jones (director of Moon, Source Code and Warcraft) is his son.

Edit: I don't really know Bowie's story, when will they make a movie about him.
Today it was announced that a Bowie biopic focusing on his early years is in the works. It has an "indie" cast and it will be an indie production. The Bowie estate has not endorsed the film or provided copyright permission.
The Madrid One
The Madrid One
"Imaybeonthesideoftheangels..."

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:08 pm

https://letterboxd.com/o_cav/film/1-1-2018/1/

More people should watch this film.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:07 pm

The Movie House - Part 11 - Page 17 DyWawupX4AA3KYt
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:10 pm

That cast sounds too ridiculous
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:34 pm

RealGunner wrote:The Movie House - Part 11 - Page 17 DyWawupX4AA3KYt
No Michael Caine so this is clearly fake
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad the Impaler Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:09 am

Hey y'all! Like I promised, I am back with some words on some of the movies I've watched in the last couple of weeks.

First Man [2018] - 8/10

The flight scenes and the launches were superbly caught in this film and I gotta admit I was impressed with the sound. These and the claustrophobic feelings it captured with them are definitely the best things about First Man. However, even though Gosling plays just fine, I felt that he wasn't the best fit for his role. Pace could've been better at times and the movie could've been a bit less propagandist, but all in all, it is a good one.

A Star is Born [2018] - 7/10

I must admit that I didn't expect Gaga to act so well. She wasn't incredible or nowhere near fantastic in my opinion, but it was a decent performance from her. In my view, Bradley Cooper did a good job as a director and as well as an actor, yet nothing outstanding, not something to talk about after years. Loved Sam Elliott's presence. The pace was good, but I found it boring at some point when there was already too much music involved which didn't really add anything to the film in my opinion, but that's maybe because it wasn't quite my taste. However, the ending scene was very powerful and overall the movie was entertaining.

Beautiful Boy [2018] - 8/10

Solid acting and excellent soundtrack, even though I can agree that it seemed forced at some point and the absence of it could've been a solid improvement for the movie. I think the content needs to resonate in some way for you to really enjoy this one. A good film overall.

The Sisters Brothers [2018] - 7/10

I liked it. The acting was good in my opinion. Riz Ahmed was better than I expected, but you know who are the stars in this one. It was nicely shot and it has a more than a decent story, but there's a feeling that this movie could've been better if the story would've been better exploited and that has let me a bit disappointed at the end. All in all, very enjoyable, but nothing spectacular.

The Old Man & the Gun [2018] - 7/10

This movie was a bit too cheesy, but damn I was impressed with Robert Redford's acting. He didn't have a difficult role, but that's exactly the thing. Considering the approach of the story and the whole atmosphere built around the idea of a very agreeable Forrest Tucker, I'd say Redford is the perfect one for this role. Casey Affleck didn't have much to do for his part, but he was decent as usual. The pace throughout the film was good enough and I wasn't bored at all. Very likeable.

Leave No Trace [2018] - 8/10

Both Thomasin and Ben were great in this one. Surely a great movie, exploring in a simple yet subtle way the relationship between a child and his parent in a particular stage of their lives. True to life characters.

Black Klansman [2018] - 8/10

I can agree that there might be plot holes here and there and I also believe that it is a bit propagandist, thing which can be annoying, but at the same it has a lot to offer and some points of view about racial abuse are just honest depiction of reality. Definitely not a comedy, but it sure made me laugh my ass off a couple of times.

Venom [2018] - 6/10

For me it was very enjoyable, but I gotta admit it is a mediocre film. Objectively speaking, there are many flaws to talk about, but if you go into this one without high expectations, you might like it.

Red Sparrow [2018] - 6/10

The story is interesting, but largely predictable. Acting is good, though definitely nothing special about it. Overall, I liked the pace of the film. Nearly the end it has a scene that stands out for me.
Spoiler:
It seemed to me that the emphasis on sexuality was exaggerated and unnecessary and the propaganda against Russia is a dishonest approach. There was a nice little twist in the plot, but could've been handled better and the whole training part was badly developed and it felt puerile for me. Still, it is is worth a watch. Also, I really don't like Hollywood movies in which Russians speak English between themselves. It's certainly not helping building a feeling of veracity.

The Florida Project [2017] - 9/10

Honest representation of how people in different stages of life have a contrasting or synergistic impact on each other. Perspectives clash, but unfold in the same reality. Loved it.

Enter the Void [2009] - 7/10

I liked the first half of the film, but then, it became a bit boring when it started reiterating some stuff and the pace from that point on was too slow for my liking. However, it has everything covered in a few very deep layers of meaning and it's seen through beautifully captured frames, along with a trippy vibe accompanied by the alternation between sound and absence of sound.

Mulholland Drive [2001] - 10/10

I realized that while I was watching this film, I was uncovering layers and layers of darkness, charm and anxiety, portrayed in a beautifully crafted and ambiguous symbiosis between dream and reality. They were Hollywood's layers.

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb [1964] - 9/10

I was impressed with Peter Sellers' and George Scott's acting skills in this film, but most importantly, I liked how the satire has excellently exposed people's nature and how subtle, yet harmful, can be their ignorance and madness.
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:30 pm

Vlad, watch Under the Silver Lake.

Watched Sorry to Bother You, last night - loved it, crazy wild and imaginative, both LaKieth and Tessa played brilliantly off each other.

Just came back from The Favourite. Beautiful cinematography as always from Yorogos Lanthimos, the film starts of slowly, but luckily the psychological battle between the three women become interesting as the film progresses, nothing exceptional though besides good performances and the odd dark comic moment.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:21 pm

Watched Roma. Beautifully shot, strong performances, a nice story. Was not blown away by it. Still one of the better Netflix exclusive movies.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:24 pm

A nice story... that's all? Cold-hearted son of a snitch.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next