Art Morte
rincon
McLewis
Blue
BarrileteCosmico
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bolsonaro Watch: South America's Duterte Empty Bolsonaro Watch: South America's Duterte

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:34 pm

Thread for countries that do not get a lot of attention

Today we have Brazil's election! Where the favorites are Bolsonaro, a hard-right, evangelist, former military candidate who has praised the prior dictatorship and made many controversial statements (greatest hits include "I would never rape you because you're too ugly","the dictatorship's mistake was torturing instead of killing","I will send all gays to Argentina", you get the idea). Right now he polls at around 35%

Bolsonaro Watch: South America's Duterte BOLSONARO-VAI-MATAR-OS-PETISTAS-DO-ACRE

Opposing him is Haddad, the stand-in candidate for Lula, who has been imprisoned over very controversial claims (that while seemingly weak have passed 2 rounds of appeals, leading some to call it a judicial coup) . Lula would easily win this election, but since he is in jail for corruption he has supported Haddad, a figurehead who would probably use his influence to get Lula free. He is currently polling at around 25%

Results for these 2 terrible options will be filtering in here: https://g1.globo.com/

Last edited by BarrileteCosmico on Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Bolsonaro Watch: South America's Duterte Empty Re: Bolsonaro Watch: South America's Duterte

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:05 pm

First results are in! Balsonaro is winning with a popping 49% of the vote with roughly half the votes counted, this is definitely his
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Bolsonaro Watch: South America's Duterte Empty Re: Bolsonaro Watch: South America's Duterte

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:06 am

Bolsonaro was unable to get to 50%, we will have a run-off election in 2 weeks.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:53 am

Beyond his rhetoric I have heard Bolsonaro is pretty dangerous is seeking to return Brazil back to military dictatorship rule.

What exactly is the reason for Brazil swing to the right?
Blue
Blue
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:32 pm

Everything I've read about Bolsonaro suggests he's Brazil's Trump though with Brazil's political climate, he may even turn into Brazil's Duterte. And Haddad is pretty much just a puppet influenced by Lula. Awful decisions for Brazilians in this one.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:18 pm

Calling Bolsonaro the Brazilian Trump is just stopping at the surface and forcing parallels. He is much more dangerous. He is a military man (huge red flag in South America) praising previous dictatorial regimes and calling for an iron fist rule.

Blue wrote:Beyond his rhetoric I have heard Bolsonaro is pretty dangerous is seeking to return Brazil back to military dictatorship rule.

What exactly is the reason for Brazil swing to the right?

The left there (and in most of Latin america) are incompetent populists that give handouts to the people while siphoning money out of the state into their pockets.

Brazil under the recent left (Lula and Dilma) were (among many, many, maaaaany things) at the center of a ridiculously big corruption scandal that brought down a few presidents of the region, and implicated many other. Lula ended up in jail and Dilma impeached. The other candidate, Haddad, is just Lula's pawn.

So people have all the possible reasons in the world to go away from the corrupt, decrepit, system of the left there. The problem is that pouncing on this is a dangerous extremist who will likely be even worse. It's the usual overcorrection that we see many times in politics.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:37 pm

To add on to Rincon's accurate post, I think right now Brazilians are so fed up with their politicians that there is a general sentiment of "send them all away!". The result is that the only other options, the fringe parties that no one would consider voting for before, now become hugely popular just because they are different.

There is also an important aspect of polarization. Many liberals voted for Bolsonaro just to get the PT (lula's party) put of power, even if he is antithetical to most of their beliefs. Many of 3rd place Ciro's voters will vote for Bolsonaro even though ideologically they are closer to Haddad.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:53 pm

Brazil's got so much crime (fuelled by poverty) that I'm not exactly surprised that a right wing hardliner might get elected for president.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:52 am

Thanks for the breakdown guys......that's pretty much dystopian. Terrifying stuff.

It's always been my impression that class warfare has been a major factor to both Brazil's political corruption and the abject poverty. Is that accurate?
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:07 am

My oh my, more good news :facepalm:
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:17 pm

Really had high hopes for Brazil in the Rousseff days...
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Bolsonaro Watch: South America's Duterte Empty Brazil presidential election - fascism looms

Post by Hapless_Hans Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:31 pm

Shocked, appalled and saddened to read that all of Ronaldinho, Rivaldo and Cafu did publicly support Bolsonaro in recent days

Ronaldinho has always been one of my very favourite footballers and I loved him dearly, but I'm done with them. This is unforgivable.

Brazil is on the verge of electing a murderous fascist as their president who openly favours dictatorial power, torture, genocide, and massive, brutal violations of human rights.

Growing up, I thought the world had moved on from this. It's thoroughly depressing to realize it hasn't.

Would very much like our resident Brazilian posters, @elitedam ,  @Ganso , @Socur Toxanarosa to provide context and comment on what's happening
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:43 pm

Hans what you are missing is that for the past 3 years Brazil has been living through one of the worst recessions in its history, and its entirely due to the prior governments corruption. Haddad represents that government.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:47 pm

I'm not missing that, but it's equally clear that electing a psychopath tyrant will not solve the recession problem and then make everything else *bleep* up too

Honestly, I also do think that a declared fascist favouring a military dictatorship being elected in one of the world's largest countries deserves its own thread
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:56 pm

The recession is already over, the country is back to growing for the past year or so, under the equally corrupt right-wing government. Everyone expects Brazil to continue growing next year. Either one would make everything ****ed up. It's a horrible choice, although one of their own making.

If you really feel that way I can unmerge it again, feel like it was a continuation of the 1st page.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:08 pm

Bolsonaro has won 55%-45% it seems pale

let's copy all of those posts into a Brazil politics/Bolsonaro thread maybe? I have the eerie feeling there will be more to talk about with this guy
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:18 pm

So what's the count on creepy, fascist, psychotic person getting elected :facepalm: to run (ruin) the country???
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:43 pm

I don't know what to think about this. I've educated myself a bit more on the situation down there and it sounds like middle and lower-class Brazilians didn't really have a way out here. They had a choice between a guy who represents a party who is incredibly corrupt and a guy who has taken advantage of such a reputation, despite his awful rhetoric and frankly dangerous political stance, to position himself as the cure all for that corruption.

This is why I compared Bolsonaro to Trump originally. It's a terrible choice between corruption (though I don't believe Hillary was corrupt) and populism. The people will always choose the latter, regardless of who the candidate is. Bolsonaro appears to have offered the people everything under the sun, just as Trump did. He'll likely deliver none of it.

That said, like US politicians, I imagine Brazilian politicans are different governors than campaigners. This is where I can agree that he's more of a Duterte now.

In short: Brazil are *bleep*.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by elitedam Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:01 pm

Not just us but the whole world will be too when he starts allowing the Amazon to be butchered up even more than it already is.

Also, I haven't seen the raw data, but I think he did even better with rich voters.

I just don't see how he'll accomplish the economic reforms that he's promising. There's a lot of delusional people right now.

Shit is *bleep*.
elitedam
elitedam
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:04 pm

So I don't get that either. He only controls 1/6 of congress but has promised the moon. How many of the centre parties will actually vote with him?
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:49 am

I have to believe fear and desperation played a part too. The former especially. Push a desperate person far enough and delusion isn't often far behind.

Bolsonaro, Duterte, Trump...these guys are predators. Fear is their weapon and delusion their armor. It was ripe pickings for Bolsonaro in Brazil's super-corrupt political system.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:38 pm

Assigning the guy that jailed Lula as minister of Justice is definitely not a good look
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:58 pm

Politics is a swing. Very rare for one side to hold on to power for several elections. I'm not educated on Brasil, but most news I get out of there seem to be about soaring murder and crime rates. If leftist politics didn't curb that, I do understand why people would vote a hardliner in.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:42 pm

This an excellent piece, i attempted to write something but came across this video that perfectly sums it up.
Blue
Blue
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:46 pm

Greenwald, since many years living in Brazil with his husband, is of course directly affected, or rather threatened, by Bolsonaro's election and his aggressively homophobic proclamations.

The Intercept has been writing about Bolsonaro since 5 years..
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next