Clutch
Doc
Arquitecto
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Provinciale Prophecy  - Page 2 Empty Re: Provinciale Prophecy

Post by Robespierre Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:23 pm

Warrior wrote:Chelsea 4-1 Napoli, winning goal in overtime by who else than Ivanovic. It was the Cavani-Lavezzi-Hamsik era, back then they were not contenders for trophies except Coppa Italia.

Does it count ?

Napoli is often a good example of provinciale prophecy.
Just thinking they twitter manager celebrated the club because "they were the only one unbeaten in CL", or have been on advantage at Bernabeu is something of historical.

i add last year, when they get knocked out against RB Leipzig, quietly for no apparent reason, and they could win that cup.

Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:14 pm

Tonight play the biancocelesti side of Rome; and the absolute most provinciale club of top flight Calcio; mostly due to their fans not being central to the city of Rome but coming from places in Lazio such as Tivoli, Viterbo, Latina, Frascati and of course, Claudio fucking Lotito.

A slimy scheming half politician who happens to be more frugal in his allocated funds then Wenger before he decided to splurge big.

Lotito is so content on having SS Lazio sit where they have been for years, their clear barrier and his attempts to seduce European clubs to spend big on players he prices far too high, succeeds (marginally) and leaves their coaches bereft of any talent or superstar and highly talented coach Simone Inzaghi is yet another victim to the spiel.

Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by breva Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:54 pm

Fully agree.
breva
breva
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:07 pm

Have to say that I wouldn't regard Inter failing to win as result of something like a provincial mentality.
Really, it's just a lack of quality, and the fact PSV is not a bad team by any measure.

Probably, we shouldn't actually simply expect Inter to beat PSV. The difference in quality isn't so big that we could have such clear expectations.

Inter and Milan are not provincial clubs, and being on, as well as winning on, an international stage is normal for them historically.

At present, they're simply not very good, Milan even less so. Milan struggling vs piss-poor opposition in EL is a sign of lack of quality, not lack of confidence.

I stand by my statement that scheduling the Derby d'Italia as the Friday game in order to give those two Italian clubs better preparation time for CL was an act of loser's mentality on behalf of Italian football as a whole.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:17 pm

Hansy you have a sound point and whilst PSV are indeed a lovely team by one of my all time cherished legends in the form of MvB;

Inter in their performance versus PSV in the Philips Stadion first legs showed a clear gulf in their win against them.

As we know sometimes 'just needing a draw' or 'already qualified' mentality can go against collective team mentality (to which I find pathetic for many reasons) and simply because 1-0 up on a leg beforehand;

and Inter as Spalletti said had the tension get to them and clearly like Roma these days, just afraid of themselves.

Situations like these are where Italian teams shot themselves in the foot and another echo to the provinciale lack of competitiveness that just does not end.

So based on the quality they have and can perform on it was the most embarrassing crash out of the group I can remember for any top club in a long long time.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:21 pm

Proud to say that I haven't hyped the league since Roma's bottlejob versus Porto a few years back.
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:43 pm

1-2 Young Boys Juventus
1-1 Inter-PSV
1-0 Liverpool Napoli
1-2 Plzen-Roma
1-2 Lazio-Eintracht
3-1 Olympiakos-AC Milan

Unpatriotic to post this but this has statistically been the worst Serie A week of all time.

Provinciale overload. Someone break out the Polenta, please.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:51 pm

Arquitescu wrote:Tonight play the biancocelesti side of Rome; and the absolute most provinciale club of top flight Calcio; mostly due to their fans not being central to the city of Rome but coming from places in Lazio such as Tivoli, Viterbo, Latina, Frascati and of course, Claudio fucking Lotito.

A slimy scheming half politician who happens to be more frugal in his allocated funds then Wenger before he decided to splurge big.

Lotito is so content on having SS Lazio sit where they have been for years, their clear barrier and his attempts to seduce European clubs to spend big on players he prices far too high, succeeds (marginally) and leaves their coaches bereft of any talent or superstar and highly talented coach Simone Inzaghi is yet another victim to the spiel.

The accuracy of this post Shocked Laughing
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:00 pm

Jjuve is fine, still topped the group and is clearly one of the favourites unfortunately. And I dare say Napoli did their best in a tough ass group, shame their final performance was absolute nonsense.

The rest, oof, the Milan clubs are a joke. Roma is Roma and you just expect them to capitulate in the r16. Maybe McLewis would be fine with a r16 exit. Lazio is a never was club and yeah, Serie A is probably the weakest of the top 5 leagues where only 1 club looks like they belong in the elite conversation.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:39 am

I'm fine with a dignified, hard fought R16 exit. If we absolutely roll over and get manita'd, that's not going to be ok in my book.

Perhaps that's a provincial outlook. I prefer to think of it as a realistic one though.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:05 am

Calling Serie A weakest of Top 5 leagues is just vastly overblown as it comes not down to a quality or particular tactical problem to which is the whole premise of the thread but the mentality only long Calcio followers would understand in how it has Italian teams shoot themselves in the foot, continually and where they do not have to. From the outside one may assume otherwise due to their minimal sample size of speculating these clubs, but the problem is deeper rooted.

McLewis's posts are an example.

His "I dont care that Roma lose the Champions League final so as long as we get into the Coppa Italia" type posts come across as Provinciale to the distant viewer until one understands his thinking ranges so long term, analytical and so deeply objective unlike 99% of Romanisti that he is merely thinking above and beyond.

Lesson in there somewhere.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by The Demon of Carthage Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:28 am

I think the reason Serie A is thought by many to be one of the weakest leagues is because they haven't won the CL since 2010 and Juventus has been dominating the domestic league with relative ease for a little close to a decade now.

But I genuinely believe that the tables have turned. The Spanish clubs are no longer as strong as they used to be, Juventus looks easily one of the favorite to win the CL and the English teams have improved massively. Liverpool and City have a very good chance of winning the CL as well.

I think this is the year where we finally see a CL winner outside of Spain, though you should never write off Barcelona with Messi. And once an Italian team (in this case Juventus) wins the CL, I don't think many will keep on thinking that it's one of the weakest. It would also help if another Italian team reaches the semi-final.
The Demon of Carthage
The Demon of Carthage
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by breva Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:32 pm

Notwithstanding this week's Serie A debacle in Europe, Serie A is certainly not the weakest of the top 5 leagues.

1 Spain 97.569

2 England 75.605

3 Italy 72.154

4 Germany 69.784

5 France 57.165
breva
breva
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:54 pm

Arquitescu wrote:1-2 Young Boys Juventus
1-1 Inter-PSV
1-0 Liverpool Napoli
1-2 Plzen-Roma
1-2 Lazio-Eintracht
3-1 Olympiakos-AC Milan

Unpatriotic to post this but this has statistically been the worst Serie A week of all time.

Provinciale overload. Someone break out the Polenta, please.
Those games were hardly relevant, right? I mean JJ, Roma and Lazio have already qualified for the next round.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:26 pm

breva wrote:
Notwithstanding this week's Serie A debacle in Europe, Serie A is certainly not the weakest of the top 5 leagues.

1 Spain 97.569

2 England 75.605

3 Italy 72.154

4 Germany 69.784

5 France 57.165

Nah, France isn't getting there. Spain, however, continues to be miles above the others.
Italy will probably fall back behind Germany next season when their strong 14/15 season expires, but they will bounce back soon after as then there's also the 17/18 season still in effect when Germany was just awful.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:47 am

Realistic Romanisti are a rarer breed than centaurs and mermaids. We're an endangered species tbh.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:21 pm

Aside from constantly overhyping all their teams and players, Serie A fans have always been the most vocal and annoying contingent when it comes to England/PL bashing.

Glad to see them humbled, which should've happened years ago really.
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester City

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum: