rincon
Kaladin
Glory
McAgger
BarrileteCosmico
38 posters

Page 21 of 25 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Go down

GAME OF THRONES - PART 9 - *NO BOOK TALK - READ THE RULES* - Page 21 Empty Re: GAME OF THRONES - PART 9 - *NO BOOK TALK - READ THE RULES*

Post by silver Mon May 20, 2019 11:33 am

That last episode sucked...

Will expand more when my fury dies down.

silver
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

GAME OF THRONES - PART 9 - *NO BOOK TALK - READ THE RULES* - Page 21 Empty Re: GAME OF THRONES - PART 9 - *NO BOOK TALK - READ THE RULES*

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon May 20, 2019 11:35 am

The show has been on a steady decline since season 5. Unfortunately this is the result. It's maddening HBO offered d&d to do it in more episodes and they thought "nah we are good".

If they knew the end game was Bran being on the throne, why did they never develop his character? Hard to feel anything at him getting there if all his scenes have been about moving the plot forward and not one about him interacting with other characters.

Very disappointing... But in line with expectations after the prior 3 episodes.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Mon May 20, 2019 12:12 pm

"Davos suggested the unsullied start their own house. That house would be done after one generation"

I love reading the reddit post=episode threads lol I would have never thought of that rofl
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Mon May 20, 2019 12:25 pm

Yeah got teary eyed at the end. I started watching in high school, now I'm a working prof fresh out of college. Felt like a chapter of my life ended. The 2010s will be defined by GOT.

But the episode sucked. D&D are good directors (the shot of Dany with Drogon's wing, Drogon in the snow, melting of the  throne were all really good) but jesus christ the writing. The fucking dialogue.

I can't fathom how shit the scene in the dragon pit was. Edmure being comic relief, two no name characters, I fucking called the new Prince of Dorne being unnamed forever Laughing Sansa demanding independence while Iron Islands and Dorne sit by meekly is pure banter. Btw what happened to the Dothraki?

The small council scene was shit too. Literally ending with brothel jokes. Never change D&D. Also why would the three eyed raven even need a Master of Whispers Laughing

I loved Brienne writing Jaime's entry in the White Book. Seen people point out how Jaime and Cersei could have survived if they moved five feet but I'm numb to this illogical shit now.

It really felt like they kept it open for sequel spin offs with Jon and Arya.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Mon May 20, 2019 12:53 pm

The real Game of Thrones was the friends we made along the way
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by silver Mon May 20, 2019 12:56 pm

I don't even understand how there are so many Dothraki and Unsullied left after the battle of Winterfell.

The small council had such poverty characters. It was pretty much whatever lords they had left that they could drag out because everyone else had already died. It was so much better 6 seasons ago with Tywin, Stannis, Renly, Ned etc. Also, was that the Blackfish? Didn't he die? And why is Sam there...?

I liked how everyone just accepted Tyrion's suggestion of Bran. Half those people don't even know who he is.

I don't know why Sansa wants independence so much other than wanting to be called Queen. Last I checked the rest of Westeros had to help them fend off the Night King.

Dany just died a little bit too easily and I didn't feel Jon's conflict at all. It happened way too fast but I guess I can't expect anything more.

If all those bricks fell in the dungeon, I find it hard to believe the entire building is still standing.

Dany should have just taken the throne in S7 with Dorne, Reach and Iron Islands in support. Then spend S8 battling the Night King after they take over the North or something. Would have saved us from the "lets capture a wright and show the world" storyline which is one of the worst, most illogical storylines I have ever seen.
silver
silver
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon May 20, 2019 1:38 pm

Freeza wrote:It was never the greatest show ever lol.

It was the most popular great show. More of an achievement and communal experience if anything.

To me, it very much was the greatest series I watched. These things are always subjective tbf.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Mon May 20, 2019 1:41 pm

Never was for me, was always Breaking Bad.

The Wire comes close, as does Lost.
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Mon May 20, 2019 1:57 pm

Have you guys still not watched The Leftovers? Sad

I'm still pondering if I should start lost as a warm-up to Watchmen coming out later this year
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Mon May 20, 2019 2:14 pm

I did watch The Leftovers. Its not in my top 5. Out of finished shows:

Breaking Bad
The Sopranos
Mad Men
The Wire
GOT

Can see Mr Robot and Better Call Saul go up there if they do not shit the bed with their endings.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Mon May 20, 2019 2:28 pm

My tier 1 shows of the last 20 years are

The Wire
Fleabag
The Sopranos
The Leftovers
30 Rock

So hard for even the truly great shows to stick a landing, which is why I appreciate all the listed shows. Dexter would've been there if not for the worst ending of any series ever.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon May 20, 2019 2:34 pm

Season 4 of Got was peak TV. It was absolutely objectively great. In terms of every meaningful characteristic it was as good as it got (ambition, writing, acting, production quality). It's a shame it wasn't able to retain that level.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Mon May 20, 2019 2:41 pm

I think killing off Oberyn hurt in the long run tbh, no matter what happened in the books.

The moment he died was a great moment of shock. But at some point in time killing all the great characters for shock value will catch up to you. Especially when the characters you kill are not only the most interestingly written but also the characters who have been cast with the most interesting actors.

Richard Madden, Sean Bean, Pedro Pascal, Jason Momoa, Charles Dance, Rose Leslie all those six actors had more charisma than the ones we ended up with at the end.

I know it followed the books, but it's hard to replace that kind of movie star quality.

I really wish we could've had a more loose adaptation of anything. Which I assume we'll get with the spin-off. The universe in very interesting and having to follow books closely created a weird dynamic when they had to change the production established when GRRM refused to keep writing.

Also when you have to follow books this closely, it's hard to react to what works in the medium of TV; because you have to follow, you can't change the fate of a character like Oberyn, Tywin, Ygritte etc.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Mon May 20, 2019 2:47 pm

Seen something about David playing iphone games with naked extras during shoots
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Mon May 20, 2019 3:17 pm

Oberyn's death was not just for shock value. It had a purpose in the story. The Dorne storyline starts because of it. But D&D decided to change Doran into a weakling who wants no war or vengeance and scrapped his daughter because they liked Indira Varma and wanted her to take a bigger role. And then after the backlash they quickly killed off the storyline in one episode and focused on the Ironborn (Doran's actor said he was originally supposed to be in six episodes in season 6 and writers said they had to choose between Ironborn and Done in season 5). GRRM does not go for shock value for nothing. It was up to the writers to replace the characters killed with interesting characters but Elia, Sand Snakes, Euron were just horribly written.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyanTVqlJ2o

They literally said they chose Arya instead of Jon because it would be more of a surprise, and in season 5 they said they had Sansa get raped because it would be more "shocking"

Its not just new characters that were bad. Existing characters went to shit too. Jaime was Cersei's lapdog, Littlefinger stopped being smart, Varys became boring, and Tyrion went to "I drink and I know things"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2segM3PA6AI
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Mon May 20, 2019 5:12 pm

Freeza wrote:My tier 1 shows of the last 20 years are

The Wire
Fleabag
The Sopranos
The Leftovers
30 Rock

So hard for even the truly great shows to stick a landing, which is why I appreciate all the listed shows. Dexter would've been there if not for the worst ending of any series ever.

You seriously rate The Leftovers that high? Wow
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon May 20, 2019 5:21 pm

M99 wrote:Oberyn's death was not just for shock value. It had a purpose in the story. The Dorne storyline starts because of it. But D&D decided to change Doran into a weakling who wants no war or vengeance and scrapped his daughter because they liked Indira Varma and wanted her to take a bigger role. And then after the backlash they quickly killed off the storyline in one episode and focused on the Ironborn (Doran's actor said he was originally supposed to be in six episodes in season 6 and writers said they had to choose between Ironborn and Done in season 5). GRRM does not go for shock value for nothing. It was up to the writers to replace the characters killed with interesting characters but Elia, Sand Snakes, Euron were just horribly written.

They literally said they chose Arya instead of Jon because it would be more of a surprise, and in season 5 they said they had Sansa get raped because it would be more "shocking"

Its not just new characters that were bad. Existing characters went to shit too. Jaime was Cersei's lapdog, Littlefinger stopped being smart, Varys became boring, and Tyrion went to "I drink and I know things"

Sand snakes and euron suck in the books too, just point out. They might turn good or might not, but they're pretty cartoony there too
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Clutch Mon May 20, 2019 5:36 pm

If Mr robot sticks its landing, it'll pass GoT for sure IMO.

Clutch
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Mon May 20, 2019 5:44 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:
M99 wrote:Oberyn's death was not just for shock value. It had a purpose in the story. The Dorne storyline starts because of it. But D&D decided to change Doran into a weakling who wants no war or vengeance and scrapped his daughter because they liked Indira Varma and wanted her to take a bigger role. And then after the backlash they quickly killed off the storyline in one episode and focused on the Ironborn (Doran's actor said he was originally supposed to be in six episodes in season 6 and writers said they had to choose between Ironborn and Done in season 5). GRRM does not go for shock value for nothing. It was up to the writers to replace the characters killed with interesting characters but Elia, Sand Snakes, Euron were just horribly written.

Sand snakes and euron suck in the books too, just point out. They might turn good or might not, but they're pretty cartoony there too

Disagree on Euron. And I'm not in the minority either, he's a fan favorite. Even the actor came out and said he wished he was like the book Euron.

Sand Snakes, yes they totally come off as anime characters but the little we saw of them they are much better than their show counterparts. At least their dialogue was not shitty. Besides they were really not main chars, it was Arianne and Doran. Writers decided to scrap one character and totally change the other.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Glory Mon May 20, 2019 7:05 pm

Not really surprised by that ending. Tbh it was kind of satisfying for me personally. Only gripe was jobber Greyworm getting that much say on things (although its understandable). Boy aint he a terrible actor. Jon should have willingly taken the black/gone to his real home which was always the far north and not send there as some half arsed punishment. Would have at least gave us viewers some good vibes. Rest of the shit, willing to overlook at this point. Dont really care.
As I said it is a satisfying ending to an unbelievable journey. For all its flaws, still one of the greatest and most epic television I have ever seen (although storywise BB >>>). Thank you GRRM and D&D. Proud

Anyway just hoping the spin offs will be penned by someone else and not the Dumbers lol.

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Mon May 20, 2019 8:05 pm

Meh. Dany dying was a 60/40 thing to me and everything else was fairly predictable (didn't expect Bran to be king)..meh. BUt I agree with everyone else, it's been a part of my life for so long it's kinda sad to see it go. Feel like they're setting up an Arya sequel.
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Mon May 20, 2019 8:39 pm

Bronn as master of coin is a bigger threat to Westeros than The Night King btw

alsao lo'd at the scene with Sansa's uncle
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Mon May 20, 2019 8:47 pm

Glory wrote:Not really surprised by that ending. Tbh it was kind of satisfying for me personally. Only gripe was jobber Greyworm getting that much say on things (although its understandable). Boy aint he a terrible actor. Jon should have willingly taken the black/gone to his real home which was always the far north and not send there as some half arsed punishment. Would have at least gave us viewers some good vibes. Rest of the shit, willing to overlook at this point. Dont really care.
As I said it is a satisfying ending to an unbelievable journey. For all its flaws, still one of the greatest and most epic television I have ever seen (although storywise BB >>>). Thank you GRRM and D&D. Proud

Anyway just hoping the spin offs will be penned by someone else and not the Dumbers lol.

Pretty much my thoughts mostly.

Don't know if any of you remember, but I was backing Bran all the way 100% at the start of season 5/6 Proud
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon May 20, 2019 10:14 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:

Surprised you think that. Euron is incredible.

“Who knows more of gods than I? Horse gods and fire gods, gods made of gold with gemstone eyes, gods carved of cedar wood, gods chiseled into mountains, gods of empty air... I know them all. I have seen their peoples garland them with flowers, and shed the blood of goats and bulls and children in their names. And I have heard the prayers, in half a hundred tongues. Cure my withered leg, make the maiden love me, grant me a healthy son. Save me, succor me, make me wealthy... protect me! Protect me from mine enemies, protect me from the darkness, protect me from the crabs inside my belly, from the horselords, from the slavers, from the sellswords at my door. Protect me from the Silence.” He laughed. “Godless? Why, Aeron, I am the godliest man ever to raise sail! You serve one god, Damphair, but I have served ten thousand. From Ib to Asshai, when men see my sails, they pray.”
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon May 20, 2019 10:19 pm

I kinda settled in the end with whatever was coming. It was terrible writing but I tried to not let it affect me much.

It was emotional in the end. Specially the stark montage. I absolutely loved the Sansa scene and she was my favourite character over the years so it was really good to see her get what she deserved.

Jon had a bittersweet ending. I mean eventhough the show didn't really make a big deal out of Daenerys dying (everyone kinda forgot) but in the end Jon killed someone he loved and saw his 2nd love die in his arms.

But i think the writing was already there. His relationship with Mance was special (both books and TV show). Everyone just assumed Jon is the heir to the iron throne but i think GRRM always wanted him to be the heir to Mance Ryder. The king beyond the wall. That suits Jon a lot more than King of 7 kingdoms.

Going to miss this show. Not really keen on the spin offs.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Mon May 20, 2019 10:33 pm

RealGunner wrote:I kinda settled in the end with whatever was coming. It was terrible writing but I tried to not let it affect me much.

It was emotional in the end. Specially the stark montage. I absolutely loved the Sansa scene and she was my favourite character over the years so it was really good to see her get what she deserved.

Jon had a bittersweet ending. I mean eventhough the show didn't really make a big deal out of Daenerys dying (everyone kinda forgot) but in the end Jon killed someone he loved and saw his 2nd love die in his arms.

But i think the writing was already there. His relationship with Mance was special (both books and TV show). Everyone just assumed Jon is the heir to the iron throne but i think GRRM always wanted him to be the heir to Mance Ryder. The king beyond the wall. That suits Jon a lot more than King of 7 kingdoms.

Going to miss this show. Not really keen on the spin offs.

Only spin if I'd be for is an Arya west of Westeros adventures one.

As long as they don't go plot heavy and make it more about the characters discovering and adventuring in a new land. I'd be down for that Smile
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 25 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next