Perucho21
Nishankly
Young Kaz
18 posters

Page 2 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

2019 Women's World Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: 2019 Women's World Cup

Post by CBarca Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:53 am

I don't care about GD, they could have stopped at 9. But I'm not going to go on about it like it's a scandal or anything, it's not that big of a deal.

I haven't watched much but I have caught highlights.

I'm going to make a thread for this on it's own, but...there has been some really bad handling calls this world cup. The VAR call on the South African player clearing the ball and accidentally kicking the Spanish player was shocking as well.

I really hope the highlights are making the standard of reffing look worse than it is.

I am upset and a more than a bit angry with the way football is starting to treat handling though.

CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Kaz Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:07 pm

CBarca wrote:I don't care about GD, they could have stopped at 9. But I'm not going to go on about it like it's a scandal or anything, it's not that big of a deal.

I haven't watched much but I have caught highlights.

I'm going to make a thread for this on it's own, but...there has been some really bad handling calls this world cup. The VAR call on the South African player clearing the ball and accidentally kicking the Spanish player was shocking as well.

I really hope the highlights are making the standard of reffing look worse than it is.

I am upset and a more than a bit angry with the way football is starting to treat handling though.

Good Morning America just said people complained about them celebrating the goals.

I do think that was a bit out of pocket. Running up the score is fine, but fucking celebrating like you just won a world cup final when its 7-0 looks bad. Laughing Laughing

Young Kaz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:58 pm

Yeah that's fair

I don't even think it's THAT disrespectful as much as... you're up by 8, why are you even still celebrating? Just get on with it if you're really gonna keep scoring.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:05 pm

I love they kept celebrating.

If you don't want people mocking you, don't be shit.

I've had losses like this happen to me irl. I didn't whine and cry about them celebrating goals and running up the score. I was mad about me and my team being too shit to compete.

Celebrating should always be encouraged. Sport is supposed to be fun and it's great to see them enjoy themselves.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Kaz Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:26 pm

Freeza wrote:I love they kept celebrating.

I've had losses like this happen to me irl. I didn't whine and cry about them celebrating goals and running up the score. I was mad about me and my team being too shit to compete.

Celebrating should always be encouraged. Sport is supposed to be fun and it's great to see them enjoy themselves.

The difference is these women on the thailand team are amateurs. The US womens team are a bunch of professionals. Score on them for sure, but what joy are you getting doing team celebrations against an administrative assistant from Pattaya City? Laughing

Its bad optics.

Young Kaz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:55 pm

Young Kaz wrote:

The difference is these women on the thailand team are amateurs. The US womens team are a bunch of professionals. Score on them for sure, but what joy are you getting doing team celebrations against an administrative assistant from Pattaya City? Laughing

Its bad optics.

The only bad optics I see is letting amateur teams into the world cup.

There's clearly better teams out there who would make it a better tournament. Never been a fan of having quotas where some teams from other parts have an easier team getting into the WC.

The silver medalists (Denmark) from the Euros aren't in it, but amateurs are?

Also, I'm all for Alex Morgan going for all the goals. She wants to make history and everyone will have forgot this game soon.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Kaz Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:09 pm

Freeza wrote:
Young Kaz wrote:

Its bad optics.

The only bad optics I see is letting amateur teams into the world cup.

There's clearly better teams out there who would make it a better tournament. Never been a fan of having quotas where some teams from other parts have an easier team getting into the WC.

The silver medalists (Denmark) from the Euros aren't in it, but amateurs are?

Also, I'm all for Alex Morgan going for all the goals. She wants to make history and everyone will have forgot this game soon.

I agree no way should amateurs get in, but thats the state of womens soccer. Laughing

The idea is that sportsmanship is supposed to mean something. Kids are always stressed to win gracefully. Rapinoe's celebration at 9 nil was the exact opposite of that. Which is why people are calling it out over here. Of course people are trying to claim sexism, but guys get it the same way. Theres a reason excessive celebrations are a penalty in most US sports.

Young Kaz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:12 pm

Oh I'm not claiming sexism, and I no you're not referring to me. I hold this opinion in any sport.

Another case of this way of thinking for people is people justifying a guy like Neymar getting absolutely wrecked because he used a trick on someone during a game.

I find it mental how people get so mad about showboating. It was all these things that made football fun as kids. Dominating your friends and getting mocking rights.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Kaz Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:42 pm

Freeza wrote:Oh I'm not claiming sexism, and I no you're not referring to me. I hold this opinion in any sport.

Another case of this way of thinking for people is people justifying a guy like Neymar getting absolutely wrecked because he used a trick on someone during a game.

I find it mental how people get so mad about showboating. It was all these things that made football fun as kids. Dominating your friends and getting mocking rights.

Portions of the US media are already claiming sexism. Robin Roberts on Good Morning America said it "Wouldnt be an issue" if it was the mens doing it. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Neymar, or anybody else getting wrecked for showboating, is never good but its a respect issue. Sterling showboated at the end of a match this season and despite their team being successful the first thing Pep did was go on the pitch and admonish him for it. You have to show respect for your competition because these people do have pride, and if you hurt them like that it finds a way of coming back to you.

Also kids in a park are different than an international stage. There is no joy in running around like you have just won a cup after you slot in the 9th goal against a 5'2 woman playing alongside Administrative assistants and saleswomen. Sure, they can feel pride by being there, but that pride quickly disappears when people you perhaps looked up to begin taking the piss out of you in front of your friends and family. Nobody enjoys that.

Young Kaz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:51 pm

These US women are some real dicks
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:52 pm

I have zero problems with the nature of the celebrations. People tend to forget that while football is a job for many of these women, that doesn't mean that they can't have fun while doing that job. It sucks that this fun came at the expense of Thailand, but that's not the fault of the USWNT. They can only play the teams in front of them. They literally have no control over that so how much they should celebrate goal being scored is rather silly.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Kaz Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:16 pm

McLewis wrote:I have zero problems with the nature of the celebrations. People tend to forget that while football is a job for many of these women, that doesn't mean that they can't have fun while doing that job. It sucks that this fun came at the expense of Thailand, but that's not the fault of the USWNT. They can only play the teams in front of them. They literally have no control over that so how much they should celebrate goal being scored is rather silly.

They do have control over the optics though.

You can have fun and not break out to Thriller dancing with the bench when you score 10 goals on saleswomen.

Young Kaz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:23 pm

CBarca wrote:Yeah that's fair

I don't even think it's THAT disrespectful as much as... you're up by 8, why are you even still celebrating? Just get on with it if you're really gonna keep scoring.

I do think it’s disrespectful, but I wouldn’t have minded it, if it had happened to me. Like you, I think the real question is, why would anyone want to celebrate such a massive steamroll over an inferior, demoralized team, let alone celebrate it to such an extent? scratch

When I played football in elementary school, we had this unwritten rule that you don’t celebrate if you’re leading by 3 goals or more. It was considered really lame to do so, moreso than it being disrespectful towards the other team. It occurred once or twice, when players on the team who weren’t used to scoring (defender, goalkeeper) celebrated their goals when the match was long past decided. People thought it was funny when our goalkeeper did it, it was his only goal for our club, but the defender was teased for weeks Razz
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:51 pm

To be honest, I think it may be even more disrespectful to not celebrate goals after the score becomes high.
Like, if I were being beaten 8-0, and they'd stopped celebrating, so as not to hurt my feelings, I'd think they should shove their faux sympathy up their fucking arses, patronizing bitches, tbh

So no, nothing wrong with celebrating however they feel like. As long as they not doing that "Take the L" dance from Fortnite at 10-0 or something...
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Kaz Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:16 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:To be honest, I think it may be even more disrespectful to not celebrate goals after the score becomes high.
Like, if I were being beaten 8-0, and they'd stopped celebrating, so as not to hurt my feelings, I'd think they should shove their faux sympathy up their fucking arses, patronizing bitches, tbh

So no, nothing wrong with celebrating however they feel like. As long as they not doing that "Take the L" dance from Fortnite at 10-0 or something...

That rapinoe leg celebration at 9-0 was worse than anything I've ever seen on fortnite.

Young Kaz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:24 pm

Young Kaz wrote:
Hapless_Hans wrote:To be honest, I think it may be even more disrespectful to not celebrate goals after the score becomes high.

That rapinoe leg celebration at 9-0 was worse than anything I've ever seen on fortnite.

It was not about mocking the opponent though, is it? The "Loser" celebration is.
As long as it's not mocking the opponent, I don't think celebrating is to be criticized.
It's a bit weird that they are so happy about every single of those goals, but hey.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Kaz Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:37 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:
Young Kaz wrote:

It was not about mocking the opponent though, is it? The "Loser" celebration is.
As long as it's not mocking the opponent, I don't think celebrating is to be criticized.
It's a bit weird that they are so happy about every single of those goals, but hey.

If you go crazy scoring a goal that puts you 9-0 up, and after you have carved them open double that amount what exactly does it look like if it isnt mocking? Laughing

Young Kaz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:53 pm

To me it rather seems as if they're surprised about their own quality Laughing
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Kaz Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:00 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:To me it rather seems as if they're surprised about their own quality Laughing

The first 3...yeah, but theres only so many times you can score against administrative assistants and 5'2 saleswomen before you start to look around and think:

"Maybe this isnt such a big feat?" Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Young Kaz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:16 pm

Young Kaz wrote:
McLewis wrote:I have zero problems with the nature of the celebrations. People tend to forget that while football is a job for many of these women, that doesn't mean that they can't have fun while doing that job. It sucks that this fun came at the expense of Thailand, but that's not the fault of the USWNT. They can only play the teams in front of them. They literally have no control over that so how much they should celebrate goal being scored is rather silly.

You can have fun and not break out to Thriller dancing with the bench when you score 10 goals on saleswomen.

Disagree. This policing of celebrations is silly and I don't care what sport it happens in.

Athletes are allowed to display emotions when they are happy and they achieve the goals they set for themselves and have worked hard to achieve. It really doesn't matter how small or big the goal, who it comes against or in what context or scenario it occurs. "Professionalism" is subjective and means different things to different people in different settings in different environments. The USWNT have nothing to apologize for and no one to apologize to. They did their job and had fun while doing it. The rest is noise, as far as I'm concerned.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Kaz Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:39 pm

McLewis wrote:
Young Kaz wrote:

Disagree. This policing of celebrations is silly and I don't care what sport it happens in.

Athletes are allowed to display emotions when they are happy and they achieve the goals they set for themselves and have worked hard to achieve. It really doesn't matter how small or big the goal, who it comes against or in what context or scenario it occurs. "Professionalism" is subjective and means different things to different people in different settings in different environments. The USWNT have nothing to apologize for and no one to apologize to. They did their job and had fun while doing it. The rest is noise, as far as I'm concerned.

Nobody is saying they cant celebrate, but If you are a professional, your team is up 8 goals, and you score again maybe not act like you just won the world cup in the faces of amateurs?

Of course context matters in these situations. If you are down 10 goals and score one you would look like fool to take off your shirt and act like you are gods gift to the game. Same way if you are a professional playing against saleswomen and administrative assistants(which this Thailand team is made up of) maybe not spaz out with the bench when you score 12. It makes you look bad.

These girls are golden girls in this country with the media too so lets not act like the criticism they are getting is out of pocket. They looked like pricks out there honestly. Laughing

Young Kaz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:47 pm

Again, I don't mind the celebrations, personally. I don't get why they did it, but it's all good as far as I'm concerned. I'm quite surprised that so many of you can't seem to recognize how someone may be offended by what they did, though. More importantly, the players should've known. I really don't buy the "spur of the moment" argument, but I'm fine with it either way Smile
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:53 am

They can do what they want, it's just personal opinion

Personally I would never celebrate like that. Personally, I found it embarrassing. Personally, I would also find the French men's team beating up on Nepali farmers 13-0 and Mbappe doing front flips for the teams 12th goal also embarrassing.

But yeah, they're allowed to do what they want. I just don't think it's a good look for our team. If I had a U-13 team doing that, I would tell them to cut it out, I feel the same for our professional athletes.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:25 pm

2019 Women's World Cup - Page 2 922ca310[/url]
Women’s football you say Laughing Laughing
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:58 pm

Its the world cup, Thailand should have been better. USA can do whatever they want if they are scoring 13.

If I was playing for my national team and I scored the 18th goal, fuck that I'd take my shirt off.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:01 pm

Like I said...."acting" professional means different things to different people. The reason we're even having this discussion is because we can't agree on what it means to be "professional". And that's because it's subjective. Always has been and always will be.

I consider them doing their job (playing the game and winning) to be professional. Whatever comes next isn't part of that definition, at least to me anyway. Some of you believe differently. This isn't a topic that's going to have winners and losers. Just different opinions and perspectives.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next