The Netherlands

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Re: The Netherlands

Post by Unique on Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:33 pm

@rwo power wrote:Any idea why they don't play well anymore?
it seemed to start after the world cup game with spain. they seemed to move from playing football to trying to kick spain out of the game. the football that the dutch were famous for has gone. bit like brazil. they seen to play more like a europian team now.

Unique
BOSS MAN

Posts : 12363
Join date : 2015-01-19

Back to top Go down

Re: The Netherlands

Post by rwo power on Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:14 pm

True, I remember that final against Spain, and I was a bit taken aback then, too. One can but hope then that they will return to their former playing ways in the future.

_________________
avatar
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Philadelphia Union
Posts : 20978
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: The Netherlands

Post by Unique on Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:00 pm

@rwo power wrote:True, I remember that final against Spain, and I was a bit taken aback then, too. One can but hope then that they will return to their former playing ways in the future.
i agree mate. i am a englishman but i still like to see countrys like holland play good football. they have never won a world cup but for the size of the country and the population. they produce more talent than anyone. they need to talk with the managment about going back to what they are good at.

_________________
avatar
Unique
BOSS MAN

Club Supported : Liverpool
Posts : 12363
Join date : 2015-01-19
Age : 44

Back to top Go down

Re: The Netherlands

Post by RedOranje on Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:01 pm

@rwo power wrote:Any idea why they don't play well anymore?
Poor management and a notable drop in the overall quality of the squad. Despite high expectations most of the younger generation has failed to reach the potential or translate it to the international stage to adequately replace those that have retired or aged-out of the international scene. The frontline has arguably suffered this the least but without service and support from behind, there's little they can do.

It doesn't help that the past couple of managers have been, in my opinion, incredibly poor choices made by a group scared to take a risk and instead opting for the known, "safe," and (as we're seeing) mediocre option.

@Unique wrote:
@rwo power wrote:Any idea why they don't play well anymore?
it seemed to start after the world cup game with spain. they seemed to move from playing football to trying to kick spain out of the game. the football that the dutch were famous for has gone. bit like brazil. they seen to play more like a europian team now.
Bit of a myth, this. The Dutch have never really shied away from the philosophical embrace of the physical side of the game even in their heyday, though the players at times were unable or unwilling to compete on that particular facet of the game. And the Dutch's greatest successes in modern times have come under that supposedly more pragmatic approach...

And even then, when given the chance by the opponent/occasion the Dutch would still play some of their recognizable flowing and attacking football under van Basten and van Marwijk. The issue arose with the decline in overall player quality and return to dressing-room issues under more recent managers.

I think it's no surprise whatsoever that we're seeing earlier issues arise under the return of earlier managers.

_________________
avatar
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool
Posts : 11099
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: The Netherlands

Post by Unique on Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:10 pm

@RedOranje wrote:
@rwo power wrote:Any idea why they don't play well anymore?
Poor management and a notable drop in the overall quality of the squad. Despite high expectations most of the younger generation has failed to reach the potential or translate it to the international stage to adequately replace those that have retired or aged-out of the international scene. The frontline has arguably suffered this the least but without service and support from behind, there's little they can do.

It doesn't help that the past couple of managers have been, in my opinion, incredibly poor choices made by a group scared to take a risk and instead opting for the known, "safe," and (as we're seeing) mediocre option.

@Unique wrote:
@rwo power wrote:Any idea why they don't play well anymore?
it seemed to start after the world cup game with spain. they seemed to move from playing football to trying to kick spain out of the game. the football that the dutch were famous for has gone. bit like brazil. they seen to play more like a europian team now.
Bit of a myth, this. The Dutch have never really shied away from the philosophical embrace of the physical side of the game even in their heyday, though the players at times were unable or unwilling to compete on that particular facet of the game. And the Dutch's greatest successes in modern times have come under that supposedly more pragmatic approach...

And even then, when given the chance by the opponent/occasion the Dutch would still play some of their recognizable flowing and attacking football under van Basten and van Marwijk. The issue arose with the decline in overall player quality and return to dressing-room issues under more recent managers.

I think it's no surprise whatsoever that we're seeing earlier issues arise under the return of earlier managers.
tbh i think hiddink is a great coach. not sure why it didnt work out for him. before liverpool got rodgers i was hopeing we would get him. but as you say players like seedorf. davids. overmars. bergkamp de boer brothers are long gone. what a player ronald de boer was. great tallent.

_________________
avatar
Unique
BOSS MAN

Club Supported : Liverpool
Posts : 12363
Join date : 2015-01-19
Age : 44

Back to top Go down

Re: The Netherlands

Post by RedOranje on Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:25 pm

Hiddink has run into a bit of trouble in the past decade or so of his managerial career, despite an impressive career prior to that. He just doesn't look the same manager he did before.

On top of that, I think it's generally a very bad idea to go back to the past with managerial choices, bar certain extenuating circumstances. In the case of the Dutch, I think we're seeing a glaring example of its potential to go wrong.


Honestly though, I maintain that that's really only half of the problem. The fact is that the Dutch just have an uncommonly mediocre pool of players currently available while some other international sides concurrently have uncommonly great teams (Belgium, Wales, etc). The back 7 today bar Blind, for example, just don't measure up to their predecessors really while the frontline is an odd mix of aging-on-the-verge-of-past-peak and young-not-experienced-enough players who can't quite produce the type of quality needed to lift the whole side.

_________________
avatar
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool
Posts : 11099
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: The Netherlands

Post by RedOranje on Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:26 pm

Even a fully fit and firing Strootman probably wouldn't be enough to bring this team back up to a truly competitive level, though his absence is definitely being felt.

_________________
avatar
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool
Posts : 11099
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: The Netherlands

Post by Unique on Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:37 pm

@RedOranje wrote:Even a fully fit and firing Strootman probably wouldn't be enough to bring this team back up to a truly competitive level, though his absence is definitely being felt.
i agree. he is a big miss.

_________________
avatar
Unique
BOSS MAN

Club Supported : Liverpool
Posts : 12363
Join date : 2015-01-19
Age : 44

Back to top Go down

Re: The Netherlands

Post by rwo power on Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:39 pm

@RedOranje wrote:Poor management and a notable drop in the overall quality of the squad.  Despite high expectations most of the younger generation has failed to reach the potential or translate it to the international stage to adequately replace those that have retired or aged-out of the international scene.  The frontline has arguably suffered this the least but without service and support from behind, there's little they can do.
From the names in the squad, they should probably play better than they do for the Netherlands, IMO. Does the Dutch NT sport some certain philosophy, by the way? If one listens to Jogi Löw's statements, he always talks about how he wants his team to play etc - are there any statements of the Dutch coach what he actually tries to let his team play?

_________________
avatar
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Philadelphia Union
Posts : 20978
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: The Netherlands

Post by Unique on Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:55 pm

@rwo power wrote:Does the Dutch NT sport some certain philosophy, by the way? If one listens to Jogi Löw's statements, he always talks about how he wants his team to play etc - are there any statements of the Dutch coach what he actually tries to let his team play?
tbf. the german team is like having 11 terminators on the pitch. the mission is to win. and it dont matter if they play good or bad they allways seem to compleat the mission. eco smile

_________________
avatar
Unique
BOSS MAN

Club Supported : Liverpool
Posts : 12363
Join date : 2015-01-19
Age : 44

Back to top Go down

Re: The Netherlands

Post by RedOranje on Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:20 pm

@rwo power wrote:
@RedOranje wrote:Poor management and a notable drop in the overall quality of the squad.  Despite high expectations most of the younger generation has failed to reach the potential or translate it to the international stage to adequately replace those that have retired or aged-out of the international scene.  The frontline has arguably suffered this the least but without service and support from behind, there's little they can do.
From the names in the squad, they should probably play better than they do for the Netherlands, IMO. Does the Dutch NT sport some certain philosophy, by the way? If one listens to Jogi Löw's statements, he always talks about how he wants his team to play etc - are there any statements of the Dutch coach what he actually tries to let his team play?
Better, perhaps, but not a great deal so.  The goalkeepers, centerbacks, fullbacks, and most of the midfielders are simply not that great at the moment.  Many are living off of potential and hype from when they were younger that they've so far failed to live up to.  

On the other side of things, pragmatism has been the buzzword for recent managers.  Under both LvG and Hiddink the Dutch team has looked largely disjointed and short of creativity and fluidity.  

As I said, I'd issue blame pretty evenly between managerial leadership and player levels.  If you improved one without changing the other you'd see some improvement, but nothing close to the levels people have come to expect from the Dutch.

_________________
avatar
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool
Posts : 11099
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: The Netherlands

Post by iftikhar on Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:26 am

Don't you think the Dutch FA shares some blame too. I mean the manager choice/appointment is their responsibility. On top of that, may be (I have no idea about Dutch League) they haven't pursued policy that will generate/develop youth talents.

It's a question, not a statement.
avatar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Liverpool
Posts : 7623
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

Re: The Netherlands

Post by rwo power on Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:04 am

Normally the Dutch are among the top countries when it comes to developing young talents - Ajax, Feyenoord etc are praised for their academies after all. It may be that they currently just have a crop of good young players and not extraordinary players around.

_________________
avatar
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Philadelphia Union
Posts : 20978
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: The Netherlands

Post by RealGunner on Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:53 pm

bad to worse
avatar
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 78992
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: The Netherlands

Post by Art Morte on Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:19 pm

Holland and Greece competing who can decline faster.
avatar
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool
Posts : 15705
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Re: The Netherlands

Post by RedOranje on Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:23 pm

@Art Morte wrote:Holland and Greece competing who can decline faster.


Greece is reverting to their norm, not declining.

_________________
avatar
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool
Posts : 11099
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: The Netherlands

Post by Kaladin on Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:28 pm

Surprised NDJ wasn't called up, they could've used his leadership in defense imo

_________________
avatar
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 21635
Join date : 2012-06-28
Age : 25

Back to top Go down

Re: The Netherlands

Post by Bellabong on Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:17 pm

Greece can decline?

_________________



Henry wrote:"“Stepovers, tricks, that’s not the game. The game is what Thomas Muller is doing. If I had a son right now, playing, I would say to him ‘look at them, look at [Franck] Ribery, look at Muller.’ What Ronaldo does, and Messi, they’re just freaks. Don’t try to copy those guys. You can copy from Ribery, you can copy from Thomas Muller. What he did at the World Cup, people don’t talk about it. They don’t talk about it, but they should talk about it. He plays the game the right way: he defends, he attacks, he controls the ball when he has to control it, he reverses when he has to reverse it. When he has to finish, he’ll finish. He doesn’t do stepovers, but when he has to perform, he performs. He does what the game asks him to do.”"

avatar
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich
Posts : 3428
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Re: The Netherlands

Post by Robespierre on Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:34 pm

It was a though group.
but anyway it's an olverrated NT ( Sneijder and RVP are finished ) carried by Van Gaal in WC, nothing new.
It was enough to watch the WC to realize it.
The Cruijff and the other purist Dutchfaces haven't realized that negative gamestyle was the only way to get the better with this NT ?
avatar
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan
Posts : 11661
Join date : 2013-11-21
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Re: The Netherlands

Post by BusterLfc on Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:55 am

@RedOranje wrote:
@Art Morte wrote:Holland and Greece competing who can decline faster.


Greece is reverting to their norm, not declining.

If that norm is European champions, then okay. albino
avatar
BusterLfc
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Fulham
Posts : 1148
Join date : 2014-02-09

Back to top Go down

Re: The Netherlands

Post by Kaladin on Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:36 am

According to Sport Mediaset, Holland are entertaining the idea of hiring Seedorf

_________________
avatar
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 21635
Join date : 2012-06-28
Age : 25

Back to top Go down

Re: The Netherlands

Post by Hapless_Hans on Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:59 am

Apparently, Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm are now managing Holland.

What twisted fairy tale is this?!

_________________
avatar
Hapless_Hans
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : FC Bayern
Posts : 23371
Join date : 2013-09-17

Back to top Go down

Re: The Netherlands

Post by rincon on Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:59 pm

Depay looks like the best Dutch forward tonight
avatar
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus
Posts : 10955
Join date : 2012-06-07

Back to top Go down

Re: The Netherlands

Post by Hapless_Hans on Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:02 pm

van Gaal and Capello in the stands lmao

I wonder, what the hell is Rijkaard doing these days?

Why doesn't he feel some responsibility for his ailing country? No

_________________
avatar
Hapless_Hans
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : FC Bayern
Posts : 23371
Join date : 2013-09-17

Back to top Go down

Re: The Netherlands

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:04 pm

Not much any man can do to save the severe lack of talent coming through for them at the moment tbf.


_________________
avatar
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 63401
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Re: The Netherlands

Post by Hapless_Hans on Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:07 pm

Can't believe a guy like Eder is actually playing for the Italian NT

Atrocious stuff Laughing

_________________
avatar
Hapless_Hans
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : FC Bayern
Posts : 23371
Join date : 2013-09-17

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum