guest7
Adit
29 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Espanyol Vs Real Madrid Empty Espanyol Vs Real Madrid

Post by Adit Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:54 am

from RMFB .......
.........................................................................................
Real Madrid travels to the beautiful Cornella El Prat to continue their upswing in form against RCD Espanyol. This match has always a bit of significance because whether the Espanyol fans want to admit it or not, the two teams have always been very chummy. That has to change the contest from being a passionate and fiery affair in the past, nor will it this time, but it cannot be consider a derbi, or even a grudge match. In fact Real has a great recent record against Espanyol, having not lost or drawn against them in a few years. Last year Real came away with two convincing victories, and they did the same the previous year under Pellegrini. Much of the same is expected this year, although Espanyol are undefeated at home this year and the Cornella has earned a reputation for being a very difficult venue to visit. Espanyol themselves are not in the greatest of form, but this hardly ever stops teams from putting their best foot forward when facing Real Madrid.

Mourinho (technically Karanka) was able to oversee a largely satisfying revival of form against Rayo Vallecano and then Ajax at the midweek. The goals have papered over some of the more glarring issues, such as the obviously errors at the back, the poor judgement Iker Casillas has been using lately when stopping shots, and a midfield that has trouble getting anything going unless they are running at full speed. This was perfectly evident against Levante and Racing Santander, who were more than happy to sit in their own half and afford Real most of the possession, knowing that by closing down space quickly our offense would simply run out of ideas. Ajax did this fairly well also, and even had more (if marginaly so) possession in the game. No one is saying that the lighting counter attacks are not affective or easy on the eye, but the lack of creativity and ability to pull a team out of position when they are firmly in their own half has to be worrisome for the remainder of the year. Not every team will play open football, not every defensive unit will straddle the half way line. This will be the case with Espanyol, who will press hard but will have their defensive line sitting a bit further back from their midfield in order to guard against those lighting counters. A spirited home crowd will cheer them on as they snap at the heels of the Real Madrid players also.

Espanyol has been in a financial crisis for some time now. On a smaller scale, their plight is similar to Arsenals’. Think building a fantastic modern stadium and loading up on debt to do it, and then needing to turn higher than normal profits each year in order to service the front end of that debt, typically a bit higher than the back end. Espanyol staked much of their future on the new Cornella, and while it is a remarkable stadium, it has had a mixed affect on the team. As I mentioned it is a difficult and noisy place to play, and gives the team the security of knowing they have a home for the next 50-70 years or so. But it also means they have limited means in the transfer market, and have had to sell many of their best players, most coming through their youth system, in order turn a profit every year. This has handicapped a team that continuously produces exciting players from its cantera, and also has a strong South American scouting network that finds unheard of players. If Espanyol was able to keep its team together for the past four or five seasons the same way say Villarreal or Atheltic Bilbao has (I know Bilbao looks bad now, think last year’s strong side), they might have been more of a force in the European places race. They proved just that last year with a fantastic start to the campaing before they ended up selling local lad and defensive lynchpin Vicotr Ruiz amongst other players, and stumbling back down the table. This summer was no different, with Daniel Pablo Osvaldo off to Roma and Luis Garcia to Real Zaragoza at a strong profit, but they are now thin up front.

These constraints have not seemed to bother their coach, ex-player Mauricio Pochettino. He has plodded along working with the youth team players he is constantly promoting as well as the handful of players he either finds for cheap in South America or is able to get on loan. This year is no different, execpt that he has to rely on the unproven youth players much more than past years. The composition of the squad is actuallly 34% youth team player, with a couple of other young players who have been with the B team on the fringes. As I mentioned, the big name strikers and defender are gone, and now they are left with little known players outside of the Espanyol fans base. Up front they are probably the weakest, with Sergio Garcia, Walter Pandiani and Alvaro Vazquez the only recognized strikers. Garcia has had a career of ups and downs, but has never been a clinical finisher, while Pandiani is near retirement and Alvaro, although promising at this years u-20 World Cup, has very little experience in the top flight. Thievy, another youngster, has been play as an attacking winger and could chip in with goals, but much like Alvaro, his promise will take time to come to the forefront. Pochettino can also call upong Rui Fonte, who had spells with Arsenal and Sporting Lisbon, as a striker, but much like Garcia, he is more of a creative player, and not prolific, atleast not yet in his career. Pandiani can thus be the only out-and-out striker, but he is getting on in years and can only be considered a substitute at this point. Pochettino went with Rui Fonte and Sergio Garcia against Levante, but they did not come up with any goals, while in the 1-0 win against Getafe Alvaro got the start but Pandiani came off the bench to tally the lone goal.

I like the promise of the forward line for the future, while when on, Sergio Garcia is a great player to watch. But without a prolific scorer, it is hard to see the team as being very competitive. Goals will thus have to come from the midfield, which may not be a problem given the talent that Thievy and Javi Lopez, another canterano, have shown this year. Javi Lopez has scored this year while Thievy rung up a hat trick against Barcelona in a preseason friendly. Those two look likely two start out wide for Espanyol, but Pochettino has other option. Rui Fonte can be utilized out wide, or Pochettino can use Vladimir Weiss, on loan from Man City. Pochettino also has Jesus Datolo but he is currently injured and will be unavailable. Juan Albim, former Getafe player, is also in the squad but I believe he also is carrying a knock and will not be available. With those two out, it paves the way for the two youngsters to start the match. Thievy is very fast, but he sometimes over runs the ball. He still does not have a finished product at the end of some of his runs, but he will none the less be a handful for Segio Ramos. Ramos’s obvious size advantage may affect the match up also. Javi Lopez is a typical winger who gets to the byline often and puts in decent balls. His flexibility as right back will be a huge plus as he will have to contain Marcelo who moves forward frequently.

The center of midfield is an obvious pairing of Javi Marquez and Baena, who share the responsibilities of being central midfielders well. They swap positions, cover one another and rarely attack at the same time. Both are combatitive but strong on the ball with adequate passing abilities. One of the better central midfield pairings in the lead, at least in terms of all Spanish ones. One of the two would probably be in contention for the Spanish national team if there were not already a glut of midfielders in the team, and several other to come. None the less, very good players. Romaric I do not think has the same level headed approach to the game (his temperment is probelmatic) and he is rather woeful in his defensive duties. I cannot see him as a starter in the side, and it is a bit curious that they decided to sign him on loan at the first place given his indifferent campaign last year. Maybe he is just another warm body in the squad. Verdu is the other option in the center of midfield for this game, but given his creative nature, I have seen that Pochettino often tries to push him closer to the striker in a bid to get him more involved in setting up chances as well as creating space for Verdu to easily distribute the ball. Baena and Javi Marquez may dictate the pace of the match but Verdu is the one who creates most of the chances. If Sergio Garcia is played in the hole, Verdu would most likely start from the bench, given Marquez and Baena are better all-arounders. Juan Forlin has played as a defensive midfielder in the past, but he will be needed in defense for this game.

Speaking of Forlin, does anyone remember that he was very close to signing for Real Madrid a few years back, but we wanted to place him in the Castilla team and since he was a foreigner and the Castilla side were in the Segunda B, this was not possible. He signed for Espanyol instead, and has had a strong career with them so far. He will start alongside the Mexican Hector Moreno since Jordi Amat is suspended for the match. They are excellent players, but they both have the habit of getting pulled out of position by tracking a striker to far in field. This often creates exploitable space, something that the two midfield players are not capable of covering as neither is a defined “defensive midfielder”. At wing back, Didac Vila returns after leaving in January for AC Milan. He is on loan for the season, which should be good for his career, but I cannot see him succeeding at Milan. Maybe it is me but I have a feeling he is not suited for Serie A and particularly for Milan’s system under Allegri. He is a good player though, who is quickly developing in to a two way left back that may have a future with the national team. He has stiff competition from several other young left backs of course, so he next step after this year will be important. On the right I think they will have to use Galan, as Felipe Mattioni is out with a knee injury and Pochettino has injuries in midfield meaning Javi Lopez will be needed there. Galan is a journeymen and I doubt Pochettino wanted to use him against Real but it is what it is. He would be the weak point in the backline, so expect Ronaldo to have more than a few goes at him.

Finally, with Carlos Kameni having a contract rangle with the club (which happens every two years or so for some reason), Cristian Alvarez has been made the starting keeper. He is not nearly as athletic as Kameni, but he commands his area better, has sounder technique and is a very emotional and vocal member of the squad. He often celebrates any and every save, and while it may be annoying for viewing fans, it usually lifts the spirits of the team mates. You know what doesnt help your team mates spirits? Yelling at them and calling them puta madres….cough….Iker….cough. Sometimes its deserved though.

The one wrinkle in the lineup for me will be how Pochettino deals with the 4-2-3-1 system with his normal 4-4-2. He will need to be able to cover the playmaker in the band of three, probably Ozil. But he will be using a flat midfield, so he may rely on Baena and Marquez alternating tracking him, or he may assign one to deal with him, and the other to harry Xabi Alonso. This may create space in the center of the park, unless Verdu plays in the hole, which would give Pochettino essentially three central midfielders, allowing for one player to screen the back four and watch Ozil. This may also help because besides clogging up the middle, one of the players can screen the play to the wings, where Espanyol will hope for a numerical advantage and a quick counter through one of their pacy wingers. Thievy has impressed me this year with his ability to get up and down the field very quickly.

Thus I foresee this lineup for Sunday:

—————-Alvarez————–
Galan——Forlin—-Moreno—–Didac
J. Lopez—Baena—J. Marquez—Thievy
—————-Verdu—————-
———–Sergio Garcia————–

Javi Lopez has been utilized as a right back and may slot in their in place of Galan, but the other three will definetly comprise the backline due to the suspension of Jordi Amat. With Pandiani also suspended, Alvaro is the obvious choice up front, but Pochettino may go for a more attacking look and utilize Sergio Garcia from the start. The question remains whether he will play as the lone striker, or behind Alvaro. I think Verdu will start in the hole because he is more versatile than Segio Garcia in that role, able to be a playmaker with some knowledge and experience as a central midfield, effectively coupling both positions. I would like to see how Alvaro fares against the Real backline, especially Varane who is right around his age, but we will have to wait until the second half possibly to see him. Rui Fonte looks like a probable substitute, while Romaric and Vladimir Weiss have both seen most of their time off the bench so far this year.

Real Madrid Team News:

Karim Benzema took a knock against Ajax and looks unlikely to feature in this match, as is Di Maria who will be suspended for the match. Sahin is still injured, and the status of Pepe and Coentrao is still up in the air. Both have slight muscle tears that they are still recovering from and I would doubt Mourinho would risk either player for this game. To compensate for these losses, Mourinho has had Morata, Nacho, Alex, Lucas, Joselu, Merchan, Carvajal and Pedro Mendes training with the first team on Thursday. Of course not all of them will make the team for the game, but it looks very likely that Nacho will be called up again, and their is a slight chance he will bring one of Morata or Joselu along with Benzema and Di Maria out.

Those two absences will allow for Kaka to continue without hesitation in the side, something many fans would have expected none the less. It will also allow Higuain to start after scoring twice from the bench in the past couple of matches. In many respects the team could look almost identical to the one that played against Ajax, but with Marcelo available, this is how I would approach the match:

—————Casillas————-
Arbeloa—Carvalho—Ramos—Marcelo
————Xabi–Granero————
——-Ozil—————Kaka——-
———-Higuain—Ronaldo———-

I do not know if I would need to use a “defensive” midfielder in this game given that Espanyol do not really employ one either. I think the best way to beat Espanyol is to out pass them, out possess them and out ‘chance’ them if you will. By using Lass or Khedira, you may have loose the ability to get the ball to the creative players quicker and more often. Let Kaka, Ozil and Ronaldo run the show, but provide them with the best platform to do it. I do think that using Khedira as a box to box player would still have its advantages, and he would obviously break up the play better than Granero, but sometimes I get the feeling Mourinho applies a blanket solution to several different problems, and it may hinder the team in solving some of those problems. Just a thought.

I will be traveling again this weekend, so I will miss the match and the liveblog. I have yet to make a liveblog this year I think, which is a pity and I do apologize. I guess that is part of being an adult, always having something to do and no time to sit down, except to write this preview every week. If I missed anything in terms of team news feel free to add it in the comments, I finished this a bit early for a Sunday match. And if you have a better take on a potential line up or tactical adjustment, that would also be appreciated. Have a nice weekend everyone.
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Espanyol Vs Real Madrid Empty Re: Espanyol Vs Real Madrid

Post by guest7 Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:01 pm

Atleast there is no Callejon to go against, he almost costed us the game last time :babun:
guest7
guest7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by LeVersacci Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:17 pm

No Varane :S?
LeVersacci
LeVersacci
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Magricos Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:59 pm

I expect a Varane start.

Magricos
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by S32TABLANCA Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:09 pm

I think we should rest Alonso. He will get tired pretty quickly if we play him every game. Callejon should also start, Ozil needs his rest too and he never really got a chance.
S32TABLANCA
S32TABLANCA
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:23 pm

ozil shouldn't rest now,benz and di maria arent available
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by guest7 Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:43 pm

Yeah there is no time for resting, it's full attack, we can rest against Atletico since they are shit anyways
guest7
guest7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by S32TABLANCA Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:43 pm

Ganso wrote:ozil shouldn't rest now,benz and di maria arent available

Callejon-Kaka-Cristiano
--------Higuain

Ozil and Morata as subs.
S32TABLANCA
S32TABLANCA
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperMAG Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:48 pm

---Khedira--Granero
Callejon-Kaka-Cristiano
--------Higuain

SuperMAG
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by H.A. Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:58 am

Internationals are coming up, no use resting anyone since they will return tired either way bounce
H.A.
H.A.
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:14 am

callejon is unreliable,lets wait for di maria to rest ozil
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlyPrototype Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:16 am

We will drop points if we rest Ozil or Alonso. Luckily Marcelo is back.
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Magricos Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:58 am

Season just started what rest. Ozil normally gets better after the 1st month of the season and he didn't start last game.

Magricos
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by I-no Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:17 am

first, pepe,coentrao and sahin are injured. mourinho gave a very interesting pres conference.higgy and varane start.
Espanyol Vs Real Madrid Rm_7167
“Kaka and Ozil always want to have the ball and I liked the job they did in our previous match”

Alberto Navarro / Translation by Michael J. O’Donnell

Jose Mourinho gave a press confenerence the day before facing Espanyol.

“It’s better to have a good start to a match, but I also like it when my goalkeeper saves the team in the opening minutes, like against Ajax. We won two games and all negative aspects to our game preceding that were erased.”

“Benzema won’t be able to face Espanyol due to injury and he may even miss the clash with Betis. Nevertheless, it’s better that he’s injured now that there are international games scheduled than at another time.”

“Higuian was a starter against Rayo a week ago and he scored. You can’t compare a player that’s had a fantastic preseason with another who had to recover from complicated surgery and practically didn’t have a preseason. Higuain is still Higuain and his numbers are excellent. We expect him to score and our opponents also know he can.”

“I liked Kaka’s and Ozil’s performance in our previous match. They like to have the ball and the team needed to be calm and keep possession in order to be confident again. I really liked how both players responded. Kaka is a fantastic player who’s gone through many difficult times and we must take things slowly with him because we want him to be in optimum form and to be happy. We don’t want to spoil the work we’ve been doing with him.”

“Varane has chances to be a starter. It’s hard for an 18 year old player to respond better than what he’s shown already. He deals well with pressure and is incredibly fit. He still has to improve on a tactical level.”

“Altintop is fine, but he isn’t in great form because he didn’t have a preseason and underwent surgery. The minutes he played against Ajax were a reward and proved to be stimulating. We expect Sahin to fully recover and our next two weeks will be good for that because we won’t play any games.”

“I was glad with what the veterans said this week. They’re the ones who made history at Real Madrid and said honour also comes from fighting against injustice and from fighting for a victory to the very end. I have a similar train of thought. I often speak with Florentino Perez and I know what he wants. Real Madrid can have a better coach than Jose Mourinho and better players, but it’s impossible for them to have a better President than Florentino Perez.”

“We were meant to train in the morning and in the evening yesterday, but we achieved our objectives in the morning session. Someone close to me suggested we could take time to have a different sort of meal and enjoy it on the terrace, so I decided we could have a barbecue.”

For tomorrow’s match the following players were chosen:

REAL MADRID SQUAD:

Goalkeepers: Casillas, Adam and Pacheco.

Defenders: Ramos, Arbeloa, Marcelo, Varane and Albiol.

Midfielders: Özil, Xabi Alonso, Callejon, Khedira, Lass, Kaka, Granero and Altintop.

Forwards: Cristiano Ronaldo, Higuain Joselu.

ESPANYOL SQUAD:

Goalkeepers: Cristian Alvarez and Kiko Casilla.

Defenders: Galan, Hector Raul Rodriguez and Didac Forlín.

Midfielders: Javi Márquez, Baena, Verdú, Romaric, Javi Lopez, Dátolo and Weiss.

Forwards: Rui Fonte, Sergio Garcia and Christian Thievy Alfonso.
I-no
I-no
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by H.A. Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:07 pm

Well the predicted line-up is as follows [marca]:

Casillas
Arbeloa - Varane - Ramos - Marcelo
Khedira - Alonso
Ozil - Kaka - Ronaldo
Higuain

I really am not expecting a different line-up other than maybe albiol in instead of ramos/varane [maybe ramos would slot in back to his RB position]. Either way we should expect a great game. We may even see a few faked injuries Razz Wink
H.A.
H.A.
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:20 pm

no ricky....expect another varane goal lol
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:31 pm

btw joselu has been better than morata for castilla, this may be a bit dangerous for them since they are currently fourth in their league

oh well since he is with us and will definately miss the castilla game, he might as well get a couple of minutes to show us that 3rd strikers should be picked up from our reserves
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:02 pm

Morata is still top quality, for once he will be playing CF with Castilla and hopefully he scores.

call up to the first team is a reward system, so he deserved to be called up. just like Pacheco, for being awesome
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:06 pm

Ganso wrote:callejon is unreliable,lets wait for di maria to rest ozil

Is it just the brasilans that impress you? Callejon was the best player we had out there in the one half game that he played.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:14 pm

St_Nick09_of_Goal wrote:Morata is still top quality, for once he will be playing CF with Castilla and hopefully he scores.

call up to the first team is a reward system, so he deserved to be called up. just like Pacheco, for being awesome

he has been missing some jawdropping chances in the last couple of games, not sure he is that reliable atm tbh
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by The Madrid One Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:01 pm

whats this i read on ramos that he still has the back injury from the pre season?!
The Madrid One
The Madrid One
"Imaybeonthesideoftheangels..."

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:06 pm

futbol_bill wrote:

Is it just the brasilans that impress you? Callejon was the best player we had out there in the one half game that he played.
since when is di maria brazilian?

stop being biased,Calejon is unreliable.
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Turok_TTZ Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:11 pm

Ganso wrote:
futbol_bill wrote:

why are ye defending di maria? callejon > di maria anyways.
Turok_TTZ
Turok_TTZ
First Team
First Team

http://trm.jcink.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamirr Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:15 pm

It's gonna be interesting to see how our backline looks, with pepe and cav out we have a chance to experiment.
Shamirr
Shamirr
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:20 pm

Turok_TTZ wrote:
Ganso wrote:
futbol_bill wrote:

why are ye defending di maria? callejon > di maria anyways.
im just saying that Callejon isnt reliable enough to substitute ozil yet,so no reason to rest him now.benz or di maria should be used instead to substitute him.

And come on,Di Maria isnt that bad
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next