Premier League Clear-Cut Chances Charts

5 posters

Go down

Premier League Clear-Cut Chances Charts Empty Premier League Clear-Cut Chances Charts

Post by Guest Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:27 am

Now this metric has only been in existence since 2010/11 but for me, it has a much clearer purpose than “total shots” or “shots on target”. It removes any necessity to dig into the data to look at how many shots hit the woodwork, how far out from goal they were, or whether they went “just over” or “just wide”. Assuming all Opta staff collect data in the same way (which they’re trained to do) it goes straight to the nub of the matter: there’s a clear cut chance and did it result in a goal.

The approach is simple, collect clear cut chance data by team along with the total minutes played. I’ve created the following metrics from this:

Premier League Clear-Cut Chances Charts 2ih14qv

Premier League Clear-Cut Chances Charts CCC_XYa

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can't believe how rarely Chelsea ever miss a CC.

Newcastle have been average when it comes to Clinicality..Imagine how good they'd be if they could finish like Chelsea for example.

Arsenal & Us :facepalm:

Back to top Go down

Premier League Clear-Cut Chances Charts Empty Re: Premier League Clear-Cut Chances Charts

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:03 am

Shows why i keep saying we need a goalscorer.......

Ba and Best are good but they wouldnt have the goalscoring records they do for us if we didnt create the bucketload of chances like we do majority of time.....

Not as much as Obertan and Simpson need to visit MR.Bench mind....
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Premier League Clear-Cut Chances Charts Empty Re: Premier League Clear-Cut Chances Charts

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:04 am

Sunderland have scored from no CCC? Laughing
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:19 am

I think the most disappointing issue is that it's not something that can be directly addressed within the same line-up, particularly given that we're dealing with clear cut chances. There are many ways to instil confidence, however none of them are guaranteed to affect this at the end of the day. Time either improves the problem or leaves it by the wayside.

My main observations are that the hierarchy established by the tally for minutes per clear cut chance created effectively do represent the clubs we now associate with the top of the Premier League. Due to the fact that they create so much, it's normal for big teams to be wasteful, however this is clearly an unacceptable statistic for Liverpool.

The semantics associated with this don't make it as obvious as it probably seems of course, however it's interesting data, thanks Sepi.

A dotted line on the graph for y = x would have been useful to visualise the percentages, however given the scale that obviously wasn't possible here.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:52 am

WTF......So sunderland have only created 7 chances and havent scored from any of them in 9 games. And they have 12 goals from no CCC? Seems weird, i need to check out their goals
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:25 am

Clear-cut chances is a very subjective metric. Could you give some more details about how this is measured Sepi?
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:28 am

^ It says data have been collected based on Opta's CCC Metrics.

I will tweet Opta and ask.

I'd be interested to see that...This is the full article:
http://tomkinstimes.com/2011/10/waste-not-want-not/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum