Lex
The Madrid One
izzy
RealGunner
KMD
Abramovich
11 posters

Go down

RVP admits Arsenal are no longer title contenders Empty RVP admits Arsenal are no longer title contenders

Post by Abramovich Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Arsenal striker Robin van Persie has questioned his team's potential, saying they must realise they are no longer title contenders after repeated failures in recent seasons.

Van Persie enjoyed a good season on a personal level - scoring 18 goals in just 19 Premier League starts and setting a record for scoring in nine consecutive Premier League away games along the way - but Arsenal once again finished the season without a trophy, and the striker says they must now become more realistic in their expectations.

“Every year it always goes wrong in an identical way and that is frustrating,” said Van Persie in an article in The Express. “When you look at results in the last years, then Arsenal shouldn’t be talking about winning the league because too many times things have gone wrong.

“Sometimes you have to eat the truth and be realistic. But I do believe with the signing of a number of players then next season we should be in there competing for prizes.

“Even now it’s still unbelievable that we didn’t win the Carling Cup as that was the breakthrough moment, showing everyone that we could win a cup and create a belief within the team. It still hurts. It was so stupid and I ask myself how that came about.

“But it’s important that one must not stay too long dwelling over disappointments. Desire and motivation is 60, 70 per cent decisive in what level a player reaches in his career.”

While it might be understandable if a frustrated Van Persie expressed a desire to leave the club along with some of his team-mates, the 27-year-old simply wants to be able to play on like some of his heroes.

“The really top players aren’t fooled by riches or fame because they are fully focused with their football,” he said.

“It isn’t easy. Sometimes a certain amount of nonchalance can creep in and everywhere in the world you see it goes wrong when players start playing casually.

“I was in New York not so long ago and saw Thierry Henry playing. When you see him chasing and playing with so much desire it’s fantastic. Thierry is still hungry to win. He is a true lover of the game and I also have that in me. I hope I can keep playing as long as him.

“Look at players like Ruud van Nistelrooy, Clarence Seedorf, Edwin van der Sar and Dennis Bergkamp. They managed to keep on playing for so long because they lived like true professionals.

“They all have children and that brought with it other priorities. For me, it’s very important to be having breakfast every morning with my two children and that wouldn’t be possible if you were hanging about in a disco all night.

“When I see some of my English colleagues who are out till three in the morning, then I can only conclude that they are invariably finished at 33.

“I have made the choice to be doing what I love the most, playing football. I’ll finally stop when my game looks so bad or when my wife says, ‘Robin, you’re putting me to shame’.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2011/06/11/2527247/robin-van-persie-admits-arsenal-are-no-longer-title

Interesting to hear it from RVP himself, thoughts?

I personally think hes being quite honest and realistic, as far as I'm concerned WC: GK, CB , CDM , CF are needed.

If Nasri, Cesc and Clichy leave well yeah thats bad times for Arsenal.
Abramovich
Abramovich
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

RVP admits Arsenal are no longer title contenders Empty Re: RVP admits Arsenal are no longer title contenders

Post by KMD Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:17 pm

talking about wilshere ? And, Partying....

“The really top players aren’t fooled by riches or fame because they are fully focused with their football,”

100%

top man
KMD
KMD
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

RVP admits Arsenal are no longer title contenders Empty Re: RVP admits Arsenal are no longer title contenders

Post by RealGunner Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:19 pm

He did not mean that at all. The papers twisted the headline.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by izzy Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:23 pm

This has been twisted. Its so obvious.

It's not even goal.com news.

It's a THE SUN Exclusive. Tells you all you need to know really.
izzy
izzy
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by The Madrid One Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:23 pm

fail attempt at making fake news look like real?
The Madrid One
The Madrid One
"Imaybeonthesideoftheangels..."

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:51 pm

We don't need a new goalkeeper, we don't need a new goalkeeper. we don't need a new goalkeeper, we don't need a new goalkeeper, we don't need a new goalkeeper. we don't need a new goalkeeper, we don't need a new goalkeeper, we don't need a new goalkeeper. we don't need a new goalkeeper, we don't need a new goalkeeper, we don't need a new goalkeeper. we don't need a new goalkeeper, we don't need a new goalkeeper, we don't need a new goalkeeper. we don't need a new goalkeeper, we don't need a new goalkeeper, we don't need a new goalkeeper. we don't need a new goalkeeper, we don't need a new goalkeeper, we don't need a new goalkeeper. we don't need a new goalkeeper, we don't need a new goalkeeper, we don't need a new goalkeeper. we don't need a new goalkeeper, we don't need a new goalkeeper, we don't need a new goalkeeper

How many more times do i have to say it before it sinks in?
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlyPrototype Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:54 pm

Ruud van Nistelrooy, Clarence Seedorf, Edwin van der Sar and Dennis Bergkamp. All dutch lol, but this has been twisted.
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Spider Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:29 pm

Sleep

Fail .
Spider
Spider
First Team
First Team

http://twitter.com/#!/ma7moud_21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:39 pm

He would never say that. VP is probably the most respectful Arsenal player right now. Also, the Sun Laughing
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:04 pm

So where exactly does he say that Arsenal are not title contenders? Typical twisting of words by The Sun. Only Daily Fail and Tuttosport beats them in terms of failness.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:06 pm

I think ice cream on a very hot day is more satisfying then a hot meal in cold colditions...RVP admits Arsenal are no longer title contenders 400x
Ali
Ali
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum