huntsman
InterMalia
Swanhends
billionmillion
Grande_Milano
BarrileteCosmico
10 posters

Go down

Schuster: "Maradona did not reach his potential" Empty Schuster: "Maradona did not reach his potential"

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:09 am

"Después del Mundial de 1986 comenzó a caer muy rápido", explicó en una amplia entrevista con la revista alemana '11 Freunde' de noviembre. "No explotó lo suficiente su potencial. Diego debió haber jugado 15 años al máximo nivel, no sólo seis".

"After the 1986 WC he started declinining very fast", he explained in an interview with the German magazine "11 Freunde"'s November edition. "He didn't exploit his potential. He should have played 15 years of top level, not just six."

Schuster was Maradona's teammate at Barcelona, where they were friends and would share the same hotel rooms.

BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Schuster: "Maradona did not reach his potential" Empty Re: Schuster: "Maradona did not reach his potential"

Post by Grande_Milano Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:16 am

Drugs, alcohol, parties...Still owning in 1990 with a crappy NT.

What a player he could ve been. The definition of one man army
Grande_Milano
Grande_Milano
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Schuster: "Maradona did not reach his potential" Empty Re: Schuster: "Maradona did not reach his potential"

Post by billionmillion Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:18 am

Not a one man army of course. argentina were top-level team then. they won WC in 78 then with maradona in 86. one man army is not available in football
billionmillion
billionmillion
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:24 am

pic related

Schuster: "Maradona did not reach his potential" Cocaine
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by InterMalia Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:29 am

Still teh best evar.
InterMalia
InterMalia
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Grande_Milano Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:17 am

billionmillion wrote:Not a one man army of course. argentina were top-level team then. they won WC in 78 then with maradona in 86. one man army is not available in football

1990 NT was crap, it should ve bowed down to Brazil in group stages. The only good thing it had is defence.

1986 was Maradona+Valdano, and a severe lack of star players compared to other teams
Grande_Milano
Grande_Milano
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by huntsman Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:04 am

billionmillion wrote:Not a one man army of course. argentina were top-level team then. they won WC in 78 then with maradona in 86. one man army is not available in football

Yes it is available.

Baggio WC94 but italy didnt win the world cup and they lost the final because of him (not really but he missed a decisive penalty)

Kahn WC2002, but germany lost the final because of him.

Without both players both NT wouldnt have qualified from their group stages.

And both NT were at their worst. They completely relayed on both players to qualify and make it to the finals. Completely and single handedly.
huntsman
huntsman
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Pip Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:48 am

I found something very interesting regarding Maradona, which is worthy of a bump. Credit to the original gatherer of this information "Once". I made some small corrections to amend his original typographical errors. Here is the source in question.

Schuster: "Maradona did not reach his potential" Dicen1

In 1978, Barcelona sent one of its greatest idols to check out a 17 year old Argentine that turned out to be Diego Maradona. Even when Menotti did not include him in the Selección that won the 1978 WC, eyes were already set on him and Barcelona decided to sign him and put him under the lense of the man who was the maximum scorer in the history of the Culé side, César Rodríguez. His report for the Catalan directors was so impressive it became key in the negotiations that resulted in the signing of Maradona in 1982. Precisely that year the newspaper Dicen published the report Cesar had done five years prior:

After the Boca-Argentinos match I sent a report that basically said like this:

Boca Juniors 1 - Argentinos Juniors 1. Date August 13, 1978.
REPORT PLAYER: Diego Armando Maradona.

Overall rate: very good, extraordinary.
Speed: 9,5
Acceleration: 9,5
With ball: 9,1
Without ball: 9,5
Agility: 9,5
Jumping power: 8

MENTAL CONDITIONS
Mental strength: 10
Tolerance to distress/suffering: 10
Focus: 10
Selfish: Not at all
Character: 10

General technique: unbeatable (inmejorable literally means it cannot be improved)
Specific technique
Dribblings: extraordinary (superb), efficient and unwasteful.
Power/strength: excellent
Courage: extraordinary (superb)
Efficiency: extraordinary (superb)
Shot: very good
Pass: very good
Precision: absolute/total
Vision: absolute/total
General heading ability: ordinary (unimpressive)
Heading shot: ordinary (unimpressive)
Aiming: good
Ability to hold on to the ball (balance?): very good
Shielding ability: extraordinary (superb)

INDIVIDUAL TACTICAL ABILITIES:
Footballing intelligence: all of it (that is what it literally says)
Footballing sense: all of it
Anticipation: good
Speed in efficiency: very good

GENERAL CONCLUSIONS
Youth. Born October 30, 1960. Has prodigious technical skills, straightforwardness of dribble always in depth (towards the rival goal). Has vision in straight line towards goal, but he knows to let the ball go in favor of the mate in better position. Extraordinary (superb) reflexes. Very good at protecting the ball to immediately play it with great efficiency. His short passing and shots are just marvelous. Prodigious changes of pace.
It may have been exaggerated, or César might be comparing him to other 17 year old footballers he has seen play, but from an early age he was seen as an incredible footballer even by professional scouts. I would say Maradona had realized his potential, considering how he had suffered major injuries in his career that many footballers do not bounce back off of, reaching even greater levels of performance. I don't think you can realize your potential any further than FIFA Player of the Century!

I don't think what Schuster said was accurate either. Including his period in South American football, Maradona had at least 10 seasons at the top level.

Pip
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:16 am

His years in South American football were not that top. Most Boca fans will tell you that Riquelme is considered to be their best player in history if you look at the performances at only Boca (although Riquelme played in a super team and Diego at a scrub team). That being said he left Argentina at 21 years old, so he still had plenty of time to develop.

Related: Mexican commentators have requested to UNESCO that the Hand of God be included as a World Heritage sporting site.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:34 am

I would say he reached 80% of his potential maybe. His talent is the highest I have ever seen. Damn shame.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:13 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:His years in South American football were not that top. Most Boca fans will tell you that Riquelme is considered to be their best player in history if you look at the performances at only Boca.
He was the south American player of the year frequently ahead of players such as a prime zico and falcao.

If riquelme is considered better it is surely because maradona spent so little of his career there.

This is maradona at boca:

Young maradona in argentina:
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by harhar11 Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:49 pm

Grande_Milano wrote:
1990 NT was crap, it should ve bowed down to Brazil in group stages. The only good thing it had is defence.

1986 was Maradona+Valdano, and a severe lack of star players compared to other teams
Correct me if I am wrong, but Maradona wasn't really that dominant in the 90 WC, no? From what I have read(I am to young to have seen that WC) it was the defence that took them to the final, with Maradona showing a little magic here and then, like that run against Brazil, but he wasn't as dominant as he was in the 86 tournament..

Like I said, I might be wrong but that's what I have read and heard from people who saw that WC..

harhar11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum