Messi candidate of Time magazine person of the year award.

+24
El Chelsea Fuerte
Essien_5
billionmillion
dostoevsky
kiranr
teamanarchy
Kev
lenear1030
Jack Daniels
Pedram
Magricos
JuvenelCuore
Art Morte
justdoit_
Grande_Milano
izzy
Albiceleste
che
Lord Spencer
the xcx
Sushi Master
Senor Penguin
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Harmonica
28 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Messi candidate of Time magazine person of the year award. - Page 2 Empty Re: Messi candidate of Time magazine person of the year award.

Post by Kev Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:54 pm

Drogba must be facepalming so hard right now...

Kev
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Messi candidate of Time magazine person of the year award. - Page 2 Empty Re: Messi candidate of Time magazine person of the year award.

Post by teamanarchy Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:50 am

jiopsi wrote:The prestigious US magazine “Time” has named the Barça number 10 as one of the 32 candidates for this year’s Person of the Year Award

The magazine claims that Messi has: “taken the most popular sport in the world to new heights above commercial success”

The US magazine "Time" has included Leo Messi amongst the 32 candidates for the Person of the Year 2011. The list includes figures such as Steve Jobs, Angela Merkel, Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, Silvio Berlusconi, Kate Middleton and Nicolas Sarkozy and the final choice will be announced in December.

"Best player of his generation"

The magazine's website claims Messi has managed to create "a unanimous opinion amongst fans throughout the world" that he is "the best player of his generation." Although the magazine points out that Messi has yet to win the World Cup, it stresses that "he has won everything with his club, Barça and is "on the way to winning his third World Player of the Year award," whilst reminding its readers that he recently – in the Champions League game against Viktoria Pilsen - chalked up his 200th goal with the Club.

Time also commented that Messi "has taken the most popular sport in the world to a new commercial level of success, as shown by the fact that so many North American children go to school in a Barça shirt."
The award just lost all credibility right there
teamanarchy
teamanarchy
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

https://www.facebook.com/#!/ks16152913

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:58 am

"Angela Merkel, Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, Silvio Berlusconi, Kate Middleton and Nicolas Sarkozy"

Is this a joke?
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:06 am

Other winners of this award: Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, George W. Bush.

I'd have thought Madristas would be leaping at the chance to vote for him.

:dance:

P.S. Zuckerberg won last year, but Assange should have walked it.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by billionmillion Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:23 am

world player of the year third time in a row is a big influence. means kids wear messi shirts in 3 years and it continues. also he is an Goodwill Ambassador of UNICEF. surely his influence and help is better than berlusconi
billionmillion
billionmillion
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Essien_5 Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:28 am

If messi get this tittle, the prestige of this award will decrease massively...crazy to think messi influence on the world at just 24 is being put up in the same category as presidents, Gandhi, Hitler,Martin Luther King, Jr etc

this guy must be doing something outside football we don't know about lol

Essien_5
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by El Chelsea Fuerte Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:33 am

Essien_5 wrote:If messi get this tittle, the prestige of this award will decrease massively...crazy to think messi influence on the world at just 24 is being put up in the same category as presidents, Gandhi, Hitler,Martin Luther King, Jr etc

this guy must be doing something outside football we don't know about lol

It would be like Obama getting the Nobel Peace Prize.

El Chelsea Fuerte
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Guiltybystander Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:35 am

Yeah - so Messi isn't going to win this at all, because previous winners have always been out of the world of politics, business or science basically.
Steve Jobs walkssssssssssssssssss it. Or otherwise Arab Spring (hope they get it!)

Not to say that this isn't a nonsense award.

However, it is good for the game that Messi has been nominated, and I think that's a pretty cool achievement.

Semi-off topic: I see lots of Messi shirts in Amsterdam, but zero here in the US. I mostly see kids wearing CR, Kaka or EPL kits (without names, although for some reason Ive seen multiple Suarez Liverpool kits!).
Guiltybystander
Guiltybystander
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : wisla krakow

Back to top Go down

Post by Albiceleste Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:42 am

Guiltybystander wrote:

Semi-off topic: I see lots of Messi shirts in Amsterdam, but zero here in the US. I mostly see kids wearing CR, Kaka or EPL kits (without names, although for some reason Ive seen multiple Suarez Liverpool kits!).
Selective vision? hmm

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:46 am

I'm not trying to defend Messi or anything... but the fact that a sportsman is a more valid candidate for this award than some of the others just speaks volumes about its credibility.

I mean... Berlusconi? Kate Middleton? May as well add Kim Kardashian while you're at it. :facepalm:
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Guiltybystander Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:56 am

Lionel Messi wrote:
Guiltybystander wrote:

Selective vision? hmm

Not really - I'll gladly admit that I see FAR FAR more Messi kits -actually ONLY Messi kits- in Amsterdam.
Here in Boston just none basically.

Here the main ones would be CR, Kaka, Chelsea plain, ManU plain, Arsenal plain.

It is because here in the US, most people don't know anything about football, so the shirts you will see are often international students etc., of which many come from the traditionally more EPL centered countries (India, Russia, UK itself, Middle East etc.) and most of the Americans wearing the shirts don't know jackshit and literally only know Ronaldo.
Guiltybystander
Guiltybystander
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Grande_Milano Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:11 pm

(India, Russia, UK itself, Middle East etc.)

Stop talking out of ur ass man
Grande_Milano
Grande_Milano
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by billionmillion Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:21 pm

you can not say they dont wear that shirt in america just visiting boston school everyday. america is big and big parts of residents came from south america

messi also gave big hope for short people and even professional players
billionmillion
billionmillion
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:50 pm

If this award means anything the Arab protesters will win.

But it doesn't so I expect Jobs or Silvio to get the nod.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Senor Penguin Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:12 pm

BarcaKizz wrote:I'm not trying to defend Messi or anything... but the fact that a sportsman is a more valid candidate for this award than some of the others just speaks volumes about its credibility.

I mean... Berlusconi? Kate Middleton? May as well add Kim Kardashian while you're at it. :facepalm:
The b*tch IS nominated. I sh*t you not.

Senor Penguin
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Senor Penguin Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:14 pm

Zealous wrote:If this award means anything the Arab protesters will win.

But it doesn't so I expect Jobs or Silvio to get the nod.
Messi candidate of Time magazine person of the year award. - Page 2 Jobs

Senor Penguin
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Guiltybystander Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:22 pm

billionmillion wrote:you can not say they dont wear that shirt in america just visiting boston school everyday. america is big and big parts of residents came from south america

messi also gave big hope for short people and even professional players

I did not say it was conclusive proof dude. Have you read my post? It implied, "it is interesting that I have personally noticed".

And if South Americans in America would wear the Messi shirt, it would hardly say anything about the increased popularity of the sport in the US now would it? Since they traditionally watched football anyway.

Btw, I just realized, you do have the gigantic Messi Todos por la Camiseta billboards for the Argentina shirts in some places.

Barcelona has also not put as much focus on the US market as some other teams have in their marketing schemes.

I DO NOT DENY THAT THE MESSI SHIRT IS LIKELY THE MOST SOLD SHIRT IN THE WORLD. I AM JUST SAYING THAT MESSI/FOOTBALL IN GENERAL IS NOT AS POPULAR IN THE US AS THE ARTICLE MAKES IT SEEM, IN MY OBSERVATION, AND THAT MORE PEOPLE KNOW RONALDO BECAUSE OF PARIS HILTON NONSENSE AND STUFF.
Guiltybystander
Guiltybystander
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:27 pm

@Penguin

LMAO xD
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:29 pm

Wow some people are so dense. These nominations are to recognize excellence in all areas of the world including sports.

Thats why they nominate so many people, what is wrong with nominating him, he's not going to win as it's Time magazine and not Sports Illustrated.

From everything we know Messi's a good guy, he's not raping girls in a Colorado hotel, sleeping with his teammates wife, molesting young boys, or making crazy and controversial political statements.

They pick someone from the sporting world every year and he is as safe a choice as you can get.
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Guiltybystander Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:33 pm

Grande_Milano wrote:(India, Russia, UK itself, Middle East etc.)

Stop talking out of ur ass man

Well, I have yet to meet a Russian who does not support Arsenal AS THEIR FIRST NON-RUSSIAN TEAM in person (outside of Russia that is, there I've heard mostly Russian teams, and indeed some Barcelona, but then just as a vague "oh yeah favorite" but nothing religiously, then it is just the Russian teams first and foremost) and I have worked for a Russian bank in the US. Not that my personal observations form any sort of conclusive proof, but I doubt you can deliver me proof about what the most popular leagues are in Russia and the Middle East...

However, I must note that most of the international students from those areas here in Cambridge/Boston are from wealthier backgrounds, and often have the London connection, therefore often support London teams or just in general some other British team.
Guiltybystander
Guiltybystander
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:37 pm

In the Middle East pretty much all three big leagues are watched. Madrid/Barca dominates though if I'm not mistaken.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Grande_Milano Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:37 pm

Middle East and Russia, no league preference, very diverse. There are a lot of Man U bandwagoners, but other clubs as well
Grande_Milano
Grande_Milano
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2