REWB
Raptorgunner
EL Patron
Amar
Sri
Jay29
13 posters

Go down

Norwich City 1 - 2 Arsenal: Another win and more RVP goals Empty Norwich City 1 - 2 Arsenal: Another win and more RVP goals

Post by Jay29 Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:46 pm

The interlull is finally over! While I did enjoy the two England games, club football is where it's at.

This week, Arsenal visited a Norwich side doing very well in the Premier League. Arsenal are usually quite lathargic after international breaks, so this was a game that could very easily have gone wrong.

Arsenal, though, looked good from the very beginning. They passed the ball well and carved out some good opportunities. We could have been 3-0 up had it not been for some heroic defending from Russel Martin. It looked like it'd be a matter of time before we scored.

Typically, Norwich got one chance on goal and took it. A long punt down field fell to Mertesacker, who failed to clear it and was caught by Morison. The Welsh striker neatly finished and Arsenal found themselves 1-0 down against the run of play. It really was a bad error by Mertesacker, who seemd to be unsure what do with the ball. It's a pretty basic rule of defending: when it doubt, punt it out.

Norwich were very energetic and closed us down at every opportunity. The goal had obviously buoyed them. Arsenal, though, showed some nice touches and passes to get around the pressure and eventually got the equaliser thanks largely to some excellent wing play from Walcott. Having skipped around the challenge of Tierny, Walcott laid the ball on a plate for Gervinho to tap-in. The Ivorian tried a clever flick and missed it completely, but van Persie - who else? - was there to pick up the pieces.

The second half was always going to be interesting. Arsenal had created chances but weren't clinical enough, while they also looked liable to concede despite Norwich not being particularly threatening. Norwich changed formation to a 4-4-1-1 and tried to go for it, but Arsenal made good use of the extra space in midfield and dominated the ball. We continued to create chances, and continued to mess them up, but finally took the lead through a cute van Persie chip.

Norwich brought on Grant Holt and resorted to direct play, but Arsenal dealt with it well. Although the commentators were making it out as such, we really weren't in that much danger of concending again. We kept the ball well and managed to see out the game. 2-1 the final score.

Arsenal go marching on
10 wins in 12 games now and we are joint fourth having played an extra game. Suffice to say, things have improved. Today's performance was good without being outstanding, and that's pleasing considering this game was off an international break against a tough side away from home.

Are we still dependant on van Persie? Quite possibly, but at the same time the other players are finding form now.

All in all, I think our crisis is over now.

Player Ratings
Wojceich Szczesny - 6. Wasn't worked at all, but looked assured when coming for corners and free-kicks.

Per Mertesacker - 5. Afraid to say, he wasn't particularly good today. He needs to be stronger, otherwise he'll struggle.

Thomas Vermaelen - 7. Was a rock today and won all of his aerial duels. It's so good to have him back.

Laurent Koscielny - 6. Did okay. I thought he looked a little uncomfortable to start with, but grew into the role. Played it safe and rarely ventured forward.

Andre Santos - 6. Pretty solid game, with no major slip-ups to speak of.

Alex Song - 6. Good solid performance, capped with an assist.

Mikel Arteta - 6. I thought he struggled when put under pressure, but he did improve in the second half.

Aaron Ramsey - 6.
Again, solid without being outstanding.

Gervinho - 5. Frustratingly wasteful.

Theo Walcott - 7. Was really good. Showed some nice touches, regularlay beat his man, set-up the first goal and was unlucky not to have a goal himself.

Robin van Persie - 8. Classy stuff.

Last edited by GoonerJay29 on Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Norwich City 1 - 2 Arsenal: Another win and more RVP goals Empty Re: Norwich City 1 - 2 Arsenal: Another win and more RVP goals

Post by Sri Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:49 pm

Yay! Chaka

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Norwich City 1 - 2 Arsenal: Another win and more RVP goals Empty Re: Norwich City 1 - 2 Arsenal: Another win and more RVP goals

Post by Amar Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:55 pm

Walcott, RVP, Vermaelen were top quality today.

Better finishing and passing from Gervinho is needed though.
Amar
Amar
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:56 pm

good win but we need to tighten up defensively....it's not like Norwich are the most creative of team, their football is root one yet we were all over the place.

We were brilliant going forward...just need to be more clinical.
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:58 pm

What a game, RVP Walcott and Vermaelen boss. :bow:
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:58 pm

I think Theo was the man of the match.. His touch was really good..

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:59 pm

gervinho :facepalm: really good player, but players like him are just not clinical enough. one of these days some of those misses are going to really cost us.
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:04 pm

RedEyesWhiteBeard wrote:gervinho :facepalm: really good player, but players like him are just not clinical enough. one of these days some of those misses are going to really cost us.

I hope this was you jinxing it. Wink

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:06 pm

RedEyesWhiteBeard wrote:gervinho :facepalm: really good player, but players like him are just not clinical enough. one of these days some of those misses are going to really cost us.

can't believe he missed that one on one chance Laughing , he just ruined RVP good work with some poor finishing
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:08 pm

GET INNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Another win !!!!!!!!!!1

More rvp goals!!!!!!!!

Vermaelen = BEAST

Me = HAPPY!
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:24 pm

Van Persie now has 16 goals in 19 apps this season, 14 goals in 13 league games. 38 goals in his last 52 games for us.

RVP & Vermaelen today = :bow:
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Updated first post. A lazy and not very good effort from me, I think.

But meh, we won.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:32 pm

very good post Goonerjay...a bit harsh on Gervinho but he has to improve his decision making and end product. You never know what you are going to get from him, he is a bit hit and miss when he plays.

Mertesacker had a shocker...he is a bit of a friendly giant, need to toughen up what a big fairy
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by silver Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:56 pm

Mertesacker was terrible. He needs to be more aggresive like Sol Campbell or Samba.

Gevinho needs to learn how to finish and not give the ball away so often. Should have been subbed off earlier.

Quite obvious we are becoming too VP dependent.

Arteta adds a lot of calm and assurance and defensive awareness to our midfield. Arteta, Song and Ramsey have a good trident going on. Wonder where Wilshere is going to fit in.

silver
silver
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:26 am

-----------------------

Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:39 am

Walcott had a beast performance, even though all eyes are on van Persie - imo Walcott was MOTM.

Anyway great win, here we come Dortmund Very Happy
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:50 am

I'm afraid Jay, I sincerely disagree with your ratings yet again. Laughing

Gervinho a 5 is ludicrous. Whilst lacking end product for the majority of the game, he went past their right-back Naughton time and time again and was heavily involved in the game, like when he set up Walcott who then had shot saved off the line.

Santos 6 is a bit low for me too. I think he is starting to adapt to the league. Solid and good going forward. Wins so many one one ones recently.

Walcott has to get a 7.5 at least.

Maybe we are watching different games. confused
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:48 pm

I keep telling people: I don't do .5 ratings.

Santos did nothing outstanding in the game. Performed well. That's all. 6 is fair.

Gervinho set-up Walcott... after he got luck that his flick managed to ricochet into his path. The shot off the line was a poor effort. How about that missed back-heel when we scored our first? Or when he should've scored after rounding the keeping? These are poor attempts at goal that detract from his rating. Without them, I'd have given him a 6.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:22 pm

GoonerJay29 wrote:I keep telling people: I don't do .5 ratings.

Santos did nothing outstanding in the game. Performed well. That's all. 6 is fair.

Gervinho set-up Walcott... after he got luck that his flick managed to ricochet into his path. The shot off the line was a poor effort. How about that missed back-heel when we scored our first? Or when he should've scored after rounding the keeping? These are poor attempts at goal that detract from his rating. Without them, I'd have given him a 6.

Agree on Gervinho.. For all his good team play, there were atleast 3 attempts that he should have buried. Those missed chances can haunt us, A LOT.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:47 pm

If you don't give .5 ratings that makes it more understandable I suppose. I guess football is about opinions.
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:48 pm

Samuelj29060 wrote:

If you don't give .5 ratings that makes it more understandable I suppose. I guess football is about opinions.

There are no half measures in competition. #WiseManSays Razz

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:32 pm

and if you haven't already seen here is Very Happy
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:33 am

Walcott RVP and Vermelen were excellent..
Santos was also very good..
Gervinho was effective but wasted many chances.. Song and Arteta were not at their best...
Interesting to see that Arteta was playing forward while Ramsey held back.. I think it didnt work..
For a change nice to see Benayoun coming from bench instead of the usual Arshavin also considering that we had the lead..
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Emaharg Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:57 pm

Santos could be our Alves imo, he is very good going forward and with Kos playing RB he didn't really go forward much so we always had 3 at the back.
Having Kos, Mert and Vermaelen gives us a lot of height as well to defend set pieces and deal with high balls.
Emaharg
Emaharg
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum