Mano Menezes explains why Marcelo/Hernanes/Hulk are out of the Copa América squad

+23
C.Marchisio #8
Yuri Yukuv
SUPERCARTTS
Lord Awesome
Fadi
gkamtu
Kev
punkfusion1992
Error
BarrileteCosmico
The Madrid One
Iceman
Mr Nick09
paperbackwriter
The Franchise
buddytaller
Ganso
M99
Rossoneri Ninja
Senor Penguin
guest7
BeautifulGame
rsinatra
27 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Mano Menezes explains why Marcelo/Hernanes/Hulk are out of the Copa América squad Empty Mano Menezes explains why Marcelo/Hernanes/Hulk are out of the Copa América squad

Post by rsinatra Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:29 am

from globoesporte.com, translated by me during my boring Tuesday morning

The seleção coach, Mano Menezes, has admitted that the absence of the left-back Marcelo from the last two call-ups is directly connected to his attitude towards the team. In an interview to "Bem, Amigos" yesterday (Monday the 13th), Mano confirmed that he had access to an e-mail related to the player. When asked if the contents in the e-mail had anything to do with Real Madrid being informed that his "Brazil problem" had been "solved" (that is, he wouldn't have to play against Scotland) and that he'd be able to play for the club, Mano answered:

- It''s something like that.

- I don't base my decisions on feelings. I support them on facts. I stayed in Europe after the Scotland match, and some things I saw confirmed what I was thinking - said Mano.

During the preparations for the friendly fixture against the Scots in London, March 26, Marcelo claimed to have some back pains, after a clash against Renato Augusto during the training. So he didn't play.

- For me, and for all Brazilians, the most important thing in football is the Seleção Brasileira (Brazilian NT). I want all the players to feel exactly that way. There was a time in Brazil [not too long ago] in which we had to unofficially deal with athletes refusing call-ups, sending messages. If I start to allow them to do that in the beginning of my work, things won't end well. And I want them to end well.

- No one will give up a player who's playing what Marcelo is playing simply because he doesn't like him. Things are much more serious and responsible than that - he added.

The coach guaranteed that he hasn't closed any doors for the Real Madrid man and said he understood that, sometimes, the athlete will feel pressured by the club. But he wants a change of attitude from the player.

- At times, because of the pressure inside the club, people will give up certain things. Maybe the moment they were going through led it to happen this way. So you grow up, you talk to other people. You assume your part, which is important. Not blame others for the part you should assume. Logically, you can reconsider.

Mano has also guaranteed that he hasn't closed any door for Hernanes due to the sending-off during the first half of the friendly match against France, on February 9.

- I have some flaws. But I am not unfair and I am not stupid. It would be irresponsible to not call up a player like him again to the Seleção just because he accidentally committed a foul and was sent off.

The coach affirmed that the Lazio's man absence in his latest call-ups was due to a "matter of option." And he said he's changed his initial idea about Hernanes, who used to be seen as an alternative to a CDM.

- For the midfield function he's being used in Italy, we have a player who's a little more dynamic, with more movement. Hernanes is a player of strength, who finishes well. And in the system often used in Italy (4-3-1-2), in which he is more centralized and attacking, he fit in well. But I am not going to position the Brazilian squad that way. Which doesn't mean Hernanes won't be called up again - assured Mano.

As for not calling up the in-form forward Hulk, Mano said that he doesn't him as the "Seleção's CF." Because, according to the coach, that's not how he plays at Porto. He fights for a position with Robinho and Neymar.
- Porto's CF is Falcao Garcia. Hulk plays as a second forward, on the right side of the pitch.

In the same interview, he talked about his hopes for seeing a 100% fit Ganso at the Libertadores final's second leg (or else he'll be cut from the Copa América squad), talked about his conversation with Kaká, and said that he has plans to call up the other Real Madrid man in the future, and mentioned a possible call-up for Vasco's CB "Dedé".

Full links, in Portuguese, here:

http://sportv.globo.com/site/programas/bem-amigos/noticia/2011/06/mano-liga-ausencia-de-marcelo-na-selecao-postura-do-jogador.html

http://sportv.globo.com/site/programas/bem-amigos/noticia/2011/06/mano-diz-que-ganso-precisa-provar-recuperacao-para-estar-na-argentina.html

Last edited by rsinatra on Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:19 am; edited 4 times in total
rsinatra
rsinatra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sunderland

Back to top Go down

Mano Menezes explains why Marcelo/Hernanes/Hulk are out of the Copa América squad Empty Re: Mano Menezes explains why Marcelo/Hernanes/Hulk are out of the Copa América squad

Post by Guest Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:32 am

What a load of crap

This will backfire on him, I don't see this team doing much in the Copa

Back to top Go down

Mano Menezes explains why Marcelo/Hernanes/Hulk are out of the Copa América squad Empty Re: Mano Menezes explains why Marcelo/Hernanes/Hulk are out of the Copa América squad

Post by rsinatra Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:35 am

Crimson wrote:What a load of crap

lol, i know you're a RM fan, but it's a not a load of crap. No NT coach will call up a player who's making up excuses for not playing for their country. Just read the article, it sounds pretty rational to me.
rsinatra
rsinatra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by rsinatra Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:37 am

And btw, I'd still take Hulk over Robinho, BUT I can see that Robinho has got more experience while Hulk is somewhat untested (but he needs to play more to be tested!!!)
rsinatra
rsinatra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:38 am

rsinatra wrote:

lol, i know you're a RM fan, but it's a not a load of crap. No NT coach will call up a player who's making up excuses for not playing for their country. Just read the article, it sounds pretty rational to me.

What excuses?

He hasn't even been given a chance?

Just sounds like oh shit better cover my ass crap to me

Back to top Go down

Post by rsinatra Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:40 am

Crimson wrote:
rsinatra wrote:

What excuses?

Did you read the article or did I mistranslate it?

Marcelo was called up for the match against Scotland. He was there, given a chance, training. He was going to play. Then he claimed he had some back pains and didn't play. Later, Mano and other people supposedly found out that he didn't really have back pains and just wanted to spare some energy for important Real Madrid fixtures, through some e-mails they got access to. So, he blew his own chance.
rsinatra
rsinatra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:47 am

I dont see anything wrong with not callling Marcelo up if he faked injury to not play NT friendlies .

But surely Hulk would have been a good back up for Robinho even if not in the squad .
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by guest7 Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:00 am

So basicly Marcelo faked a injury for NT Friendlies? The thing almost every pro player does today and now hes gotta pay for it...

And when I saw Brazil play without Ganso it went bad, I don't see you having a fit backup.

I think it will go bad for Brazil, they're rebuilding. The chemistry is needed.
guest7
guest7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by rsinatra Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:10 am

omarish wrote:So basicly Marcelo faked a injury for NT Friendlies? The thing almost every pro player does today and now hes gotta pay for it...

So Mano should just accept it? Give me a break, I don't care if every player does it. The coach needs to show that he is the boss and he's not going to be pushed around.

The friendlies is the time they have to test the players, and to prepare for an upcoming tournament (Copa América). It was Marcelo's decision to be absent. Mano did the right thing. I remember the 2006 squad. I don't want an undisciplined Brazil.
rsinatra
rsinatra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by rsinatra Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:13 am

BeautifulGame wrote:I dont see anything wrong with not callling Marcelo up if he faked injury to not play NT friendlies .

But surely Hulk would have been a good back up for Robinho even if not in the squad .

You just have to think about it. If Mano called up Marcelo he'd be saying "its okay that you faked it, you have the upper hand" and so Marcelo and other players would and will continue to do it in the future. Instead, he didn't call him up and sent him a clear message. So, now every player will have to think twice before doing it.

If you don't want to play for NT friendlies (which are important for the NTs to learn to play together), then retire from the NT. Don't expect to be called up for the eventual important tournament if you don't want to be in the process that leads to it.

Last edited by rsinatra on Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
rsinatra
rsinatra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:14 am

As far as I remember he got injured in training and was sent home by the Brasil staff, he was even in the training camp ffs for the match

He even said: “The Scotland match is important because of being prepared for the tournament in the summer,” said Marcelo.

As I said sounds like clutching at straws and making excuses because of the heat from the press and the likely hood of failure from the team

Back to top Go down

Post by rsinatra Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:18 am

Crimson wrote:As far as I remember he got injured in training and was sent home by the Brasil staff, he was even in the training camp ffs for the match

He even said: “The Scotland match is important because of being prepared for the tournament in the summer,” said Marcelo.

As I said sounds like clutching at straws and making excuses because of the heat from the press and the likely hood of failure from the team

Yes, he was in the training camp, and that's where he supposedly got injured (or didnt you read the article)?

I cant speak for Mano, but he and the Brazil staff wouldn't be lying like that if they didn't have proof (the e-mail).

The team won't fail because they don't have Marcelo. Every sane Brazilian knows that Brazil are not favorites for this Cup, especially when it's being played in Argentina.

rsinatra
rsinatra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:21 am

rsinatra wrote:
Crimson wrote:As far as I remember he got injured in training and was sent home by the Brasil staff, he was even in the training camp ffs for the match

Yes, he was in the training camp, and that's where he supposedly got injured (or didnt you read the article)?

I cant speak for Mano, but he and the Brazil staff wouldn't be lying like that if they didn't have proof (the e-mail).

The team won't fail because they don't have Marcelo. Every sane Brazilian knows that Brazil are not favorites for this Cup, especially when it's being played in Argentina.

As I said how did he get such an email, why hasn't he presented it to the press with the story? Noi proof just seems to me like made up crap.

The Brazilian medical staff sent Marcelo home, not Madrid. So unless they are in on this so called conspiracy as well then I doubt the evidence. Seems to me he is looking for a scapegoat. Looking at his squad he is going to need it.

Back to top Go down

Post by rsinatra Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:25 am

Crimson wrote:
rsinatra wrote:

As I said how did he get such an email, why hasn't he presented it to the press with the story? Noi proof just seems to me like made up crap.

The Brazilian medical staff sent Marcelo home, not Madrid. So unless they are in on this so called conspiracy as well then I doubt the evidence. Seems to me he is looking for a scapegoat. Looking at his squad he is going to need it.

Of course it was the Brazilian medical staff, he was there with them, not with Real Madrid. If the player says he's in pain, who are they to tell him he's not?

Anyway, you might be right, I might be right, Mano might be right. I'll say it again: If Brazil loses or underperforms at the Copa America, it will not be because they lack Hernanes, Marcelo, or Hulk.
rsinatra
rsinatra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Senor Penguin Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:31 am

rsinatra wrote:
Crimson wrote:
rsinatra wrote:

What excuses?

Did you read the article or did I mistranslate it?

Marcelo was called up for the match against Scotland. He was there, given a chance, training. He was going to play. Then he claimed he had some back pains and didn't play. Later, Mano and other people supposedly found out that he didn't really have back pains and just wanted to spare some energy for important Real Madrid fixtures, through some e-mails they got access to. So, he blew his own chance.
So they're surveilling the emails of their own players? LOL

Senor Penguin
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossoneri Ninja Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:23 am

Marcelo's absense from the NT could be of his own doing, its seems to be far more likely that he faked injury or made his discomfort more than what it actually was to avoid fatigue for his club games, than the whole of the Brazil staff conspiring against him because they have some hidden agenda..

Everybody knows Marcelo is a talented player and was one of the best performing lb's this past season, but if you want a NT spot you have to jump on every opportunity you can get.

tbh Crim i expected you to understand this situation, because this is the exact same thing that happened to Pato last year and rightfully so Pato didn't warrant a spot because he didn't show enough, and now i ask you what has Marcelo done for the Selecao apart from bailing on them in friendlies and sub performances?

Rossoneri Ninja
Rossoneri Ninja
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:38 am

He has some valid points but I feel Hulk should have been taken over Robinho, but then again experience is valuable. But I still don't understand Fred over Nilmar and Hernanes should have at least made the bench. Hopefully Marcelo has learnt his lesson and changes his attitude towards the national team in the future.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:44 am

Lol unbelievable people are actually ok with it.......I hope he doesn't get called up anytime soon
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossoneri Ninja Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:48 am

The reason for Robinho's inclusion is not only because he is a senior player with the necessary experience but also that he, neymar, Ganso and Pato have played allot togther and the chemistry between them is already flowing, whereas Hulk and Hernanes have never really formed partnership on the field with their respective teammates.

Robinho is the lynchpin of that side now and he's matured allot recently taking on more responsibility and leadership role.
Rossoneri Ninja
Rossoneri Ninja
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by buddytaller Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:47 am

Someone is being economical with the truth. I’m finding it hard to believe Menezes’ side of the story, if he rates Marcelo so highly, why did he call him up for the national team only once. He had continuously ignored the player even after visiting Real Madrid’s training camp to have an up close view of him and Kaka. It’s quite clear that he never rated Marcelo so highly in the first place, so what’s with the hypocrisy.

Marcelo’s injury was caused by a collision in training ground and at that time, it was suspected to be a bruised rib and as a precaution, the medical staff of Brazil decided not to risk him for the friendly against Scotland. If Marcelo was not interested in playing for the National team, he wouldn’t have turned up in the first place, he would have feigned injury at Madrid and found an excuse not honour the invitation.

Menezes has made serious allegations not only against Marcelo but also Real Madrid, and it would most likely get a response from the club and player, if indeed this report is true. He would also have helped if he had shown the email and the other evidences he picked up while he stayed in the Europe.
buddytaller
buddytaller
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by rsinatra Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:51 am

milanista99 wrote:But I still don't understand Fred over Nilmar and Hernanes should have at least made the bench.

I think that the thing is that Fred is a true 9, you know, the lone striker, whereas Nilmar isn't. Either way, I understand that Hulk, Marcelo, and Hernanes aren't there, but I would've taken Nilmar.
rsinatra
rsinatra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by rsinatra Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:55 am

buddytaller wrote:Someone is being economical with the truth. I’m finding it hard to believe Menezes’ side of the story, if he rates Marcelo so highly, why did he call him up for the national team only once. He had continuously ignored the player even after visiting Real Madrid’s training camp to have an up close view of him and Kaka. It’s quite clear that he never rated Marcelo so highly in the first place, so what’s with the hypocrisy.

Marcelo’s injury was caused by a collision in training ground and at that time, it was suspected to be a bruised rib and as a precaution, the medical staff of Brazil decided not to risk him for the friendly against Scotland. If Marcelo was not interested in playing for the National team, he wouldn’t have turned up in the first place, he would have feigned injury at Madrid and found an excuse not honour the invitation.

Menezes has made serious allegations not only against Marcelo but also Real Madrid, and it would most likely get a response from the club and player, if indeed this report is true. He would also have helped if he had shown the email and the other evidences he picked up while he stayed in the Europe.

Lol so much speculation. Would Mano just make up these stories if he didn't have some sort of proof?

Whoever rated Marcelo highly before the 10-11 season? He was on constant improvement, but I think that it was pretty much fair that he first got a call-up against Scotland.

Again, Marcelo is not the first one to actually show up for the NT, and then fake an injury. It causes a better impression than not going at all. It's simple logic, really.

Why would Real Madrid get mad at Mano? I think it's normal that they want their player to prioritize things. I remember Roma's GK Doni lost his position as a starter when he decided to go play for Brazil, and nobody tried to hide it.

Now, will Marcelo get mad? Probably. Is he bigger than Brazil? No, never, and in fact, he is nothing to us as of now, and he won't be until he can prove it otherwise. Other than that, I like him at Real Madrid.

rsinatra
rsinatra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:00 pm

You don't fake injuries when you're in the NT... if you have reservations about your fitness, you let the coaching staff know and allow another player to take your spot.

Bad form by Marcelo if true. If you're selected and you accept the selection, it's your duty to play. Otherwise, don't accept the selection.

I understand there's a balance between club and NT duties... you have a responsibility to both imo.

Kaka handled things the exact opposite of Marcelo btw and you didn't see him getting banned from Madrid.

I do think the Brazil coach is overreacting. You give a young kid who is clearly your best at the position a chance to redeem himself.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:01 pm

Oh... and Marcelo sucked before March of 2011. There was no reason to select him before that.

Back to top Go down

Post by rsinatra Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:04 pm

sportsczy wrote:

I do think the Brazil coach is overreacting. You give a young kid who is clearly your best at the position a chance to redeem himself.

But if Marcelo got called up now, he would think he is the boss, and would fake injuries again, and think he can do whatever.. and that would lead other players to do the same. Mano has to make a stand. He'll give Marcelo more chances after the Copa.
rsinatra
rsinatra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum