Greatests of All Time: Based on Ability or Reputation?

+6
Zealous
beatrixasdfghjk.
Ganso
rwo power
Kick
Sushi Master
10 posters

Go down

Greatests of All Time: Based on Ability or Reputation? Empty Greatests of All Time: Based on Ability or Reputation?

Post by Sushi Master Mon 5 Dec 2011 - 6:48

Coming from the rightback section, I see my view of GOATs varies in comparison to other posters. To me, I base it on peak skill but also on their overall reputation. It's why there are so many classy players that are not really known to the common person. This should be purely based on skill, but I feel reputation also has a lot to do with it. Ask any person on the street and they will give you Pelé/Maradona default response on what their GOAT is. Like 90% of the time it's out of reputation even if they have never seen them play or know much about football. But this is what's remembered through time.

So guys like Di Stefano, Gerd Mueller, Batistuta or other not fairly known gems would never be GOAT material to me, simply because they're not that well known even if they have the skill to back it up.

As a fan I definitely know they deserve to be there, but in the overall scope of history I know they won't be. Guys from smaller NTs and lesser clubs will be shunted simply because they were not watched.

Nowadays, with massive media coverage and satellite TV, streams and whatever, we get to see pretty much any half decent guy play and can judge talent much easier than through blurry TV recordings or Youtube compilations.

So do you think we'll have more grass eaters due to how huge football has gotten, and rate players purely based on skill rather than mostly on reputation? Or you might disagree with me on how GOATs are judged through time, but this is how I see it. Keep in mind I'm talking about the common person, not your football geek or average GL member.

Last edited by Sushi Master on Mon 5 Dec 2011 - 6:51; edited 1 time in total
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Greatests of All Time: Based on Ability or Reputation? Empty Re: Greatests of All Time: Based on Ability or Reputation?

Post by Kick Mon 5 Dec 2011 - 6:50

Reputation drives the goats mostly because it is impossible to watch every played who has ever played enough to make a fair judgement.

If we hyped up Kalou or Evans or Bonera enough, people would start to believe they are great players.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Greatests of All Time: Based on Ability or Reputation? Empty Re: Greatests of All Time: Based on Ability or Reputation?

Post by rwo power Mon 5 Dec 2011 - 7:07

GOAT also depends on where you ask people. In Germany no one would doubt Franz Beckenbauer or Gerd Müller are GOATs as they are known to practically everybody here. Pele and Maradona would count, too, but players like Di Stefano, Puskas etc are mainly known to football fans alone.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Mon 5 Dec 2011 - 7:14

rwo power wrote:GOAT also depends on where you ask people. In Germany no one would doubt Franz Beckenbauer or Gerd Müller are GOATs as they are known to practically everybody here. Pele and Maradona would count, too, but players like Di Stefano, Puskas etc are mainly known to football fans alone.
This is also true. If you ask in the Netherlands you get Cruyff, van Basten. If you ask in France you get Platini, Zidane. If you ask in Italy you get Baresi, Baggio, Maldini. Etc. But Maradona and Pelé are known everywhere which is why I consider them the best overall GOATs, by my definition.

People are also quick to dismiss newer players, as if football back in the day was a mythical sport only a few chosen could dominate. As if today's football is crap. So most GOATs tend to be players from older generations.

I could probably name a few recent players who are at GOAT level, yet most of the time I'd get laughed down due to them not being at the standards of Cruyff or because the ball was heavier, or defenders broke your legs no sweat and the like.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 5 Dec 2011 - 7:14

if you base it on reputations Bale and Rooney are the best players ever then lmao......

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Mon 5 Dec 2011 - 7:17

Crimson wrote:if you base it on reputations Bale and Rooney are the best players ever then lmao......
Rooney could be potential GOAT material to some, who knows. Still young and very skilled.

Bale? Lulz.

English players obviously don't count for much Laughing Gascoigne and Best aren't really rated by people outside Britain.

I obviously mean reputation throughout the ages.

Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Mon 5 Dec 2011 - 9:23

Rooney potential goat?no way,the only player ATM that has potential to be goat is messi imo
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon 5 Dec 2011 - 10:01

Well, for all his reputation, Rooney always bottles it in the big competitions - see WC2006, Euro2008 qualifiers, WC2010 and now for EC2012 he is suspended for the first 3 matches of England (or possibly all of them Razz). So I can't really see him as a GOAT, I'm afraid.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Mon 5 Dec 2011 - 12:38

I mean inside England Very Happy. I can imagine plenty of United fans 30 years from now calling him a GOAT. He's pretty much won every trophy possible with them and is their only stand out player.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Mon 5 Dec 2011 - 13:01

rwo power wrote:Well, for all his reputation, Rooney always bottles it in the big competitions - see WC2006, Euro2008 qualifiers, WC2010 and now for EC2012 he is suspended for the first 3 matches of England (or possibly all of them Razz). So I can't really see him as a GOAT, I'm afraid.
Is that ... Almunia in your avatar? Suspect

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon 5 Dec 2011 - 15:18

beatrixasdfghjk. wrote:Is that ... Almunia in your avatar? Suspect
It's all Sushi's fault! I lost a bet... Rolling Eyes But in 4 hours and 22 minutes I'm free again!!! What a Face
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Mon 5 Dec 2011 - 15:34

IMO each era has two GOAT's. So roughly something like this:

50's Di Stefano, Puskas. (Matthews, Gento, Kopa special mentions)

60's Pele, Eusebio. (Garrincha, Charlton special mentions)

70's Cruyff, Beckenbauer. (Muller, Rivellino special mentions)

80's Maradona, Platini. (Zico, Van Basten special mentions)

90's Zidane, Ronaldo. (Laudrup, Romario special mentions)

Early 00's Ronaldinho.

Currently Messi, Cristiano. (Xavi special mention)

All time is obviously Podolski though

Of course this is very subjective but I think those guys had the most skill/impact/reputation out of all the players out there.

The best four in all of those are Pele, Di Stefano, Maradona, Cryuff forming the god tier.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Mon 5 Dec 2011 - 16:35

I completely agree with that GOAT list.

Any common person still is gonna give me Pelé/Maradona, though. At least here in the Americas.

I know in Europe you will have much more knowledgable people and a greater overall variety in the votes.

But Pelé/Maradona are known everywhere so one of them are the GOAT to me.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon 5 Dec 2011 - 17:18

I'd make a case for Beckenbauer, as he wasn't only a GOAT as player, but also was coach of the German NT when they won the World Cup in 1990 plus he was the guy who was in charge of the 2006 World Cup in Germany. Absolute all-round GOAT IMO.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Mon 5 Dec 2011 - 19:21

I would never rate and mix it with rep even if you paid me. Laughing Just like with every subject about anything sports, politics, religion, etc. there are buffs (people in the know) and there are noobs. But it's also not so Black & White. Then you have biased people, elitest, etc regardless of whether they are truly noobs or not.

Finding a true unbiased opinion is tough especially with Football as there are many fans. For example, when people say Pele is the best of all time the thoughts that immediately crosses my mind is, WC Glory Hunter, Brazil Fan, Brazilian, or noob. One could say I'm being judgmental, but really I think any footy expert can deduce whether the person is in the know or not immediately. Laughing

In the end, it's those sorts of opinions that just get me riled up enough to just facepalm or actually debate with the person to see what his opinions are based on. If I discover any foundation to the person's argument then I would find his opinion acceptable. If I get "Brazil have 5 WC's, Durr Hurr" then I would give no credibility to the person's opinion. And more often than not it's the latter where I live and I'm pretty sure it's like this almost eveywhere in the world.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Mon 5 Dec 2011 - 19:33

Zealous wrote:IMO each era has two GOAT's. So roughly something like this:

40s: Meazza

50's Di Stefano, Puskas, Kubala

60's Pele, Eusebio, Suarez, Best, Garrincha (Charlton special mentions)

Early 00's Ronaldinho.

Of course this is very subjective but I think those guys had the most skill/impact/reputation out of all the players out there.

The best four in all of those are Pele, Di Stefano, Maradona, Cryuff forming the god tier.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Mon 5 Dec 2011 - 19:54

50's Di Stefano, Puskas. (Matthews, Gento, Kopa special mentions)

60's Pele, Eusebio. (Garrincha, Charlton special mentions)

Early 00's Ronaldinho.

You forgot Yashin, Banks, and Zoff. Sad
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Mon 5 Dec 2011 - 20:22

jibers wrote:

Early 00's Ronaldinho.

Currently Messi, Cristiano, Nerman, Referees involved in Barcelona games. (Xavi special mention)

jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon 5 Dec 2011 - 21:45

Lord Hispano wrote:You forgot Yashin, Banks, and Zoff. Sad
Everybody always forgets the goalies. Sepp Maier belongs to them, too, and Bert Trautmann.
But I think the goalies should have a proper list of their own as they are a breed apart anyway Very Happy
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaled Tue 6 Dec 2011 - 0:18

jibers wrote:
jibers wrote:

70's Cruyff, Beckenbauer. (Muller, Rivelino special mentions)

Early 00's Ronaldinho.

Currently Messi, Cristiano, Grimaldo (Xavi special mention)

The best four in all of those are Messi, Grimaldo , Maradona, Cruyff, Pele, Di Stefano, forming the god tier.
Khaled
Khaled
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Tue 6 Dec 2011 - 1:04

Did Jibers lose a bet?
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum