United's Valencia a WC defender?????

+3
II Capitano
Le Samourai
Dnmac4
7 posters

Go down

United's Valencia a WC defender????? Empty United's Valencia a WC defender?????

Post by Dnmac4 Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:11 pm

I know I know, United lost to Blackburn and that is the big story of today.

After that, what really stuck out to me is that Valencia could be a world class defender if they put him back there for good. I thought he looked better in defense then he does in midfield as he was a terror down the flanks for United. I think his body type actually fits that position better then it does as a winger/midfielder and it would allow United to get more talent on the pitch when they get healthier.

Please tell me if I am imagining things but to me he looked great out there and could add another dimension to United when they get healthy.

PS. I think he is a good midfielder/winger as well so this is not a shot at his midfielder abilities at all.
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

United's Valencia a WC defender????? Empty Re: United's Valencia a WC defender?????

Post by Le Samourai Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:16 pm

Did you not knock Madrid fans for saying that Ramos could potentially be a WC cb if we moved him there.?

Now this? Shocked

On Topic- Maybe he can be a WC wing back....but I highly doub't he'll ever be a WC defender
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

United's Valencia a WC defender????? Empty Re: United's Valencia a WC defender?????

Post by Dnmac4 Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:19 pm

I have never before knocked Ramos in my life and actually think he is underrated on this board and is a world class defender at any defensive position you want to put him at.

I have no clue where you're getting this from.
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:23 pm

dnmac4 wrote:I have never before knocked Ramos in my life and actually think he is underrated on this board and is a world class defender at any defensive position you want to put him at.

I have no clue where you're getting this from.

Ok then it wasn't you. Sorry, I accused you

Although I disagree........I don't think Ramos is WC at RB or CB just yet.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by II Capitano Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:26 pm

ragbirjosh wrote:Did you not knock Madrid fans for saying that Ramos could potentially be a WC cb if we moved him there.?

Now this? Shocked

On Topic- Maybe he can be a WC wing back....but I highly doub't he'll ever be a WC defender

Valencia has shown on numerous occasions this season how much of a solid defender he has been. For a player to qualify in that world class category, you have to play two seasons at the back, so I'd give him another season at the back before making any judgements. He's already a world class winger, he's proven time-and-time again how efficient he can be.
II Capitano
II Capitano
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:30 pm

He didn't ask that.

He asked if we thought Valencia could be a WC defender.......he may be a solid defender but I doub't he'll ever be a WC one.

Maybe if he moved there earlier but he's already 26 and has probably had less than 10 games in anything even resembling a defensive position.

I think he can be a similar player or even an improved version of Milner.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by II Capitano Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:36 pm

ragbirjosh wrote:He didn't ask that.

He asked if we thought Valencia could be a WC defender.......he may be a solid defender but I doub't he'll ever be a WC one.

Maybe if he moved there earlier but he's already 26 and has probably had less than 10 games in anything even resembling a defensive position.

Yes, I know, but I was making things clearly. I think, if Fergie really wanted to deploy Valencia as a right back, he can become a world class right back, I have no doubt in that. However, it's rather futile considering him as a right back when he's much better as a right winger -- and with the return of Rafael, there's really no point in discussing this matter.
II Capitano
II Capitano
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:00 pm

Gladiator wrote:

Yes, I know, but I was making things clearly. I think, if Fergie really wanted to deploy Valencia as a right back, he can become a world class right back, I have no doubt in that. However, it's rather futile considering him as a right back when he's much better as a right winger -- and with the return of Rafael, there's really no point in discussing this matter.

The point is that SAF plays a bunch of different lineups and a lot of the time he does not have Valencia on the field. If he were to play RB he could be on the field all the time as I think he is a much better player then either of the twins and then you could put more talent on the pitch.

Plus he is a very physical and hard working player which brings that dimension too and a back line of Valencia, Vidic, Smalling/Jones, and Evra would be devestating. Especially since IMO Valencia is one of the best in the world at putting crosses into the box.

IT would just give SAF more options to play with and keep Valencia on the pitch all the time.
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by II Capitano Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:16 pm

dnmac4 wrote:
Gladiator wrote:

The point is that SAF plays a bunch of different lineups and a lot of the time he does not have Valencia on the field. If he were to play RB he could be on the field all the time as I think he is a much better player then either of the twins and then you could put more talent on the pitch.

Plus he is a very physical and hard working player which brings that dimension too and a back line of Valencia, Vidic, Smalling/Jones, and Evra would be devestating. Especially since IMO Valencia is one of the best in the world at putting crosses into the box.

IT would just give SAF more options to play with and keep Valencia on the pitch all the time.

A lot of time? Maybe the first two months of the season, primarily because Valencia was injured after picking up an injury on international duty with Ecuador. Obviously he's a better player, he's 26, has more valuable first team experience -- he knows what is required to start week in, week out, for Manchester United. However, he shouldn't be deployed as a right back against the "big" teams purely because he's on a hot streak of form right now. I'd like to see Valencia vs Clichy next week against Manchester City in the FA Cup and see how well that pans out.

Valencia is a fantastic option to have. His versatility makes him a useful asset. He can play in his dominant position, right wing, central midfield and right back. We should only talk about him playing as a right back when we're short in that department.
II Capitano
II Capitano
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:25 am

For me he fits the "Carrilero" (Defensive Winger) role fine. He has projection going forward, he's quick, and he's pretty tough for a Wing Player. WC I don't think so.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:33 am

He could be a poor man's Dani Alves. He has the lungs, strength, speed and massive workrate to be a great wingback, but a fullback I'm not too sure. He'd need to train his defensive skills.

He's probably better than Rafael/Fabio/whatevs, though Very Happy
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:47 am

No, he is a winger with decent defending skills.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:51 am

Valencia is a world class winger? Shocked anyone else wondering how this could be?
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum