+2
alexjanosik
The Franchise
6 posters

Go down

For Alex Empty For Alex

Post by The Franchise Thu 26 Jan 2012 - 18:21

When George Best set out to humiliate Johan Cruyff

Even the greatest George Best fans had to admit, by 1976, that his best days were well behind him. 30 years old. Addicted to alcohol. Kicked out of Manchester United. George Best, many argued, was now a pale shadow of the genius dribbler he once was.

That’s also what Dutch journalist Bert Nederlof thought. With the Holland vs Northern Ireland World Cup qualifier approaching, Nederlof was assigned the task to write a portrait of George Best. Nederlof flew to London to watch Best with his new club Fulham against Southhampton. After 90 minutes, Nederlof had seen enough. He wrote that Best was a fallen superstar who was no longer able to do what it takes to be a good footballer. Nederlof would soon regret those words.

A few hundred miles away, British journalist Bill Elliot was traveling with the Irish squad to the stadium where they’d meet Holland. And the Orange squadand their captain Johan Cruyff, in 1976 was synonymous with greatness. Elliot asked Best what he thought of Cruyff. “Outstanding”. “Better than you?”. George looked at the journalist and laughed. ‘You’re kidding aren’t you? I tell you what I’ll do tonight… I’ll nutmeg Cruyff first chance I get.”

What follows is Elliot’s descriptio. “Five minutes into the game Best received the ball wide on the left. Instead of heading towards goal he turned directly infield, weaved his way past at least three Dutchmen and found his way to Cruyff who was wide right. He took the ball to his opponent, dipped a shoulder twice and slipped it between Cruyff’s feet. As he ran round to collect it and run on he raised his right fist into the air.

Only a few of us in the press box knew what this bravado act really meant. Johan Cruyff the best in the world? Are you kidding? Only an idiot would have thought that on this evening.”

While there doesn’t exist video evidence of this historic scene, Nederlof confirms that Best had played an absolutely incredible match, inspiring small Northern Ireland to a 2-2 draw against the best team in the world. “After the game, I caught the eye of the Dutch coach, Jan Zwartkruis. He gave me the most cold stare I’ve ever witnessed. Perhaps I shouldn’t have told him before the game that Best was nothing to worry about”.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

For Alex Empty Re: For Alex

Post by alexjanosik Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 17:46

I have heard the story dani and that is one of the many reasons why Cruyff was better than Best.
Johan would never do something like that as it was ultimately unproductive.
Not only was he outrageously talented but he was also the smartest player to have played the game.And he says so himself.That part of the reason he was so good was because he was one step ahead of the opponent at most times.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 19:18

alexjanosik wrote:I have heard the story dani and that is one of the many reasons why Cruyff was better than Best.
Johan would never do something like that as it was ultimately unproductive.
Not only was he outrageously talented but he was also the smartest player to have played the game.And he says so himself.That part of the reason he was so good was because he was one step ahead of the opponent at most times.

I agree alex and had very similar thoughts while I was reading this. If I ever get to read that in an important competition while playing for his country Cruyff was more interested in showing who he was better than instead of trying his best ( no pun intended ) to win the game for his country I will be very disappointed. Best was very talented of course but those kinds of individuals will never have my respect.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 19:44

Still, 2-2 vs the best international team of the world at that time as Wales is pretty impressive.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 21:48

Northern Ireland I believe BC, not Wales.

And yes, I agree Alex. But an intresting story for those who have not heard it.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 22:39

Did not hear of it, thanks.

Cruyff though... :bow:
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Sat 28 Jan 2012 - 13:35

Franchise, Dani as I notice everyone call u Smile Where do u read all these stuff from? Im interested to read up some history...and coming here is obviously what I do a lot now, but still curious where some of u guys find such great info Very Happy

And interesting to learn that, human nature is the same, in football it shows, its just like Ronaldo vs Messi actually Razz
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Sat 28 Jan 2012 - 15:38

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Still, 2-2 vs the best international team of the world at that time as Wales is pretty impressive.

Acceptable but in spite of being the best team in the world they still didn't win Euro 1976. That team may have been a great team but I would say compared to the best teams of all time they still lacked a certain something. BTW Best played for Northern Ireland just like dani said.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Sat 28 Jan 2012 - 17:51

BarcaLearning wrote:Franchise, Dani as I notice everyone call u Smile Where do u read all these stuff from? Im interested to read up some history...and coming here is obviously what I do a lot now, but still curious where some of u guys find such great info Very Happy

And interesting to learn that, human nature is the same, in football it shows, its just like Ronaldo vs Messi actually Razz

Various places.

Historical stuff I just search around and come across things, most stories just come from me stumbling upon different sites. Though, most of my actual knowledge comes from rewatching downloaded games or books.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Sat 28 Jan 2012 - 18:11

The Franchise wrote:
BarcaLearning wrote:Franchise, Dani as I notice everyone call u Smile Where do u read all these stuff from? Im interested to read up some history...and coming here is obviously what I do a lot now, but still curious where some of u guys find such great info Very Happy

Various places.

Historical stuff I just search around and come across things, most stories just come from me stumbling upon different sites. Though, most of my actual knowledge comes from rewatching downloaded games or books.

Thx for that Smile Speaking about books...I have not read one book (I dont read books much anyway) on football, but im thinking to if I can... but im a bum so are they free for download or do I have to buy them Razz I know some recommended etc..., but I was wondering if those autobiographies, for example Fergie's, are they any good? Or any done by the top managers I would be interested... I know Goal.com advertising the Barca one, although Im not sure if these types are creditable or made up... I Hope Guardiola someday writes one though...
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Sat 28 Jan 2012 - 18:45

Probably have to buy them my friend.

I dont know about autobiographies, they are usually ghost written and you wont learn too much about footballing history if thats your aim.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Sun 29 Jan 2012 - 17:53

The Franchise wrote:Probably have to buy them my friend.

I dont know about autobiographies, they are usually ghost written and you wont learn too much about footballing history if thats your aim.

Sorry bad English, what do u mean ghost written? Like the person pays another author to write what he wants and says its his?

And darn I thought one could find anything free on the net nowadays Razz

Actually I would be very interested in recent history as well so the autobios would suit me fine Smile

BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon 30 Jan 2012 - 4:20

Ghost written is when an athlete/politician/whoever who is not a good writer hires a professional writer to write their autobiography for them. For example, Andre Agassi's memoir Open was actually written by JR Moehringer.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down