+4
RedOranje
donttreadonred
stevieg8
McAgger
8 posters

Go down

would you like to partner Lucas?

Lucas' partner in CM | Next Season Vote_lcap25%Lucas' partner in CM | Next Season Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 1 ]
Lucas' partner in CM | Next Season Vote_lcap0%Lucas' partner in CM | Next Season Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Lucas' partner in CM | Next Season Vote_lcap0%Lucas' partner in CM | Next Season Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Lucas' partner in CM | Next Season Vote_lcap75%Lucas' partner in CM | Next Season Vote_rcap 75% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 4

Lucas' partner in CM | Next Season Empty Lucas' partner in CM | Next Season

Post by McAgger Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:20 pm

Many of us would agree that Adam isn't a starting caliber player for a team like Liverpool. He's a great squad player to have but nothing more as he's very limited in his abilities. With Lucas coming next season (hopefully playing like he's never left) we have one spot in the center of midfield 100% taken.

Hopefully with Gerrard playing as an AM where he has had his best season for us, we'll have to buy someone who can help us compete for the title next season. Henderson will still be very young (22) to take the reigns just yet. Same with Shelvey.

So who would like to see as Lucas' partner in the middle next season? (Your personal preference)

For me it is GRANIT XHAKA.....Today after watching him dominate the supposed 2/3 best team in the world my heart has melted for this kid. I dont want to see him anywhere but in a red shirt of Liverpool FC.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Lucas' partner in CM | Next Season Empty Re: Lucas' partner in CM | Next Season

Post by stevieg8 Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:33 pm

I would actually be fine seeing a rotation of Hendo, Adam and Shelvey... I think one more squad player should be bought, as Gerrard will more than likely miss time, but I think Hendo will be over the next year and a half of the caliber that we need.
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:01 pm

I have to agree with StevieG. I don't see us going out and buying another young CM in the summer. I am hoping that we buy a true winger, effectively forcing Hendo to play more in the center. I also think we'll start to see more of Shelvey (or he needs to be loaned out agian).

In addition, I would be surprised if we see a great deal of a true 4-2-3-1 formation. Barring a collapse of Carroll's form, I think we'll see a 4-4-2 or a 4-4-1-1 with Suarez filling in that SS/free role behind Carroll. (I hate to say it, but I'm not sure Stevie has the legs to perform that free attacking role week-in and week-out for an entire season. Because of this, I don't think there is a slot that is 100% open. I think it will be Lucas and Gerrard in CM, with Adam, Hendo and Shelvey filling in when Gerrard needs a rest.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:21 pm

Lucas
Gerrard/Henderson - Adam/Henderson

That would be my guess. Spearing and Shelvey would then rotate in as fitness and fatigue demand.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:35 am

Yeaaah, I don't see us buying another CM for a while.

Grab Hoillett for free in the summer and consider us ready for 2012-2013.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:33 pm

RedOranje wrote:
Lucas
Gerrard/Henderson - Adam/Henderson

That would be my guess. Spearing and Shelvey would then rotate in as fitness and fatigue demand.

I'm curious how you would set up the front line then. Let's assume that Bellamy is unable to play week-in week-out and Downing isn't sold in the summer.

A.) Downing - Carroll - Suarez
B.) Kuyt - Suarez - Downing
C.) New RW - Carroll - Suarez
D.) None of the Above
E.) All of the Above
Razz
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:54 pm

I think we could get Kwadwo Assamoah.He'd be a great addition quality wise and depth wise IMO.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:07 pm

Javi Martinez.

would never happen though.

I think Lucas prior to his injury, was doing much more than just a DM. He set up so many of our attacks.

I just wish he comes back the same player...I am sure he will.

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:09 pm

I would love that but I was thinking realistic lol.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:03 pm

Sepi wrote:Javi Martinez.

would never happen though.

I think Lucas prior to his injury, was doing much more than just a DM. He set up so many of our attacks.

I just wish he comes back the same player...I am sure he will.
I have faith he will. Lucas's game wasn't based purely on form. It was tactical intelligence that took years to develop. That doesn't go away through injury. May take a bit to get back to full power, but that's what training and preseason is for.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:13 pm

I'd start Carroll and Suarez basically every game, unless we're attempting to play on weaknesses in a team at or above our level. Kuyt will most likely be sold in the summer and replaced by either a starter or a young player.

Bellamy (signing) - Carroll - Suarez
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:51 am

Are you guys serious? So you all think we can challenge for the title with Adam next to Lucas. We all saw what happened in the league this season with Adam and Henderson as starters. I really don't see us doing any better next season unless our midfield can dominate games and with Adam as a starter i don't see that happening anytime soon. Don't get me wrong, Hendo and Adam are not bad players and I like both of them but they wont be much better next season as Jordan is too young still and Adam is already in his prime. We NEED a quality CM next to Lucas to challenge for the title especially with City being so strong.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:54 am

Lucas has been missing for much of the season, as has Gerrard (our best CM). We've only just found a formation that seems to work and it's our forward line that has been the problem, not the midfield.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:02 pm

RedOranje wrote:Lucas has been missing for much of the season, as has Gerrard (our best CM). We've only just found a formation that seems to work and it's our forward line that has been the problem, not the midfield.
Exactly. The midfield has only been troublesome due to absences (Gerrard and Lucas). In a midfield three of Adam - Lucas - Gerrard, Adam has been solid. It's only when Adam is relied upon to be the deeper holding midfielder that he becomes a liability. Pair him with Lucas and Gerrard, and Adam will not need to make surging runs into the box, nor protect the back four. He can play the deep playmaker role that he was actually bought to fill.

As Red said, our problem has been the forward line this season. Until after the holiday period, we were playing with one "in form" striker. (I say "in form," because while Saurez was playing very well, he wasn't scoring enough goals. Put it down to support, service, etc. The fact is that he wasn't able to score or create as much as we had hoped.) Look how our situation has changed in a few months. We now have Suarez back from his suspension and scoring; Bellamy is on 6 goals in the league and 9 in all competition; Carroll is looking more and more comfortable and dangerous every time he takes the pitch assisting and getting on the score sheet with 6 goals in all competitions; Kuyt is even getting back to goal scoring form with goals against Wolves and ManU. The point is that we now look more dangerous than at any point in the last six months thanks to our improving attacking form.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:52 pm

Furthermore, how was it so ludicrous last year for us to make up 30 points in one summer and become title challengers, but all of a sudden we're assuming it's a possibility for next season? Our thoughts as of last year were "make top 4, then challenge for the title with a few new signings the year after" but we're sitting in 7th and likely won't get CL. I think we have other holes we need to fill before we start purchasing players to replace the ones we just purchased because they're not of quality for a title challenge. There are more important things to come first.
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:55 pm

I'm still not buying it. We're struggling to get into top 4 this season (7 points off at the time of writing), I understand this season we never fielded our best midfield, but to challenge for the title we'll need every player on the starting IX to be exceptionally good at everything they're asked to do. We brought Adam to be the ball distributor like Alonso and be able to create chances, well imo Aquilani was doing a much better job at that than him. He never got a proper chance in our team, when he played he was really good (I dont know what people are talking about him flopping for us).
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:02 pm

stevieg8 wrote:Furthermore, how was it so ludicrous last year for us to make up 30 points in one summer and become title challengers, but all of a sudden we're assuming it's a possibility for next season? Our thoughts as of last year were "make top 4, then challenge for the title with a few new signings the year after" but we're sitting in 7th and likely won't get CL. I think we have other holes we need to fill before we start purchasing players to replace the ones we just purchased because they're not of quality for a title challenge. There are more important things to come first.

Stevieg mate, you are supporting LFC, a team that has historically been known to win and nothing less satisfies us. For a big club like LFC it's not Okay to just get 4th spot every year and be happy. When the owner took over, the goal was to make CL this year and next year mount a title challenge. I don't see why we can't do that!!! Most pieces are in place, in my eyes we're missing three key players to help us win the PL, a world class striker (finisher), a world class wide player that can take on his man and score, and a CM.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by poolsupporter Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:12 pm

Messiakanino wrote:I'm still not buying it. We're struggling to get into top 4 this season (7 points off at the time of writing), I understand this season we never fielded our best midfield, but to challenge for the title we'll need every player on the starting IX to be exceptionally good at everything they're asked to do. We brought Adam to be the ball distributor like Alonso and be able to create chances, well imo Aquilani was doing a much better job at that than him. He never got a proper chance in our team, when he played he was really good (I dont know what people are talking about him flopping for us).

The thing to keep in mind is that Kenny insisted on playing a 4-4-2 formation for a number of our games. Adam is terrible and just not dynamic enough to play in that formation as a box to box midfielder. Adam has been decent when played in a three man midfield.

With that said, I think he is an average player. Doubt we'll buy anyone though.

I'm ok with what Red suggested above. Here's hoping Shelvey gets some playing time.

Gerrard isn't getting any younger, y'know!
poolsupporter
poolsupporter
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:01 pm

Keep in mind as well, Messiakanino, that the club will only have so much money to spend in the summer and there are more pressing concerns than CM. The wide areas definitely need addressing and if Kuyt and Maxi leave we'll need to add to our attacking depth. CM simply isn't a priority at the moment.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:32 pm

Overpaying for Downing, Hendo, and Adam will surely affect our transfers in the summer. Spending so much money on them may have cut the the availability of funds for Kenny for the upcoming summer. But money isn't what I'm concerned about. Buying only an ST and a winger may not be enough to mount a challenge because of the strengths of our opponents (especially City who will definitely have the funds to spend huge again during the summer). At this point the center midfield position may not be our biggest priority but the battle in midfield will surely have a huge difference in our season next season especially if Kenny wants to play possession or one touch passing football.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by poolsupporter Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:37 pm

Messiakanino wrote:Overpaying for Downing, Hendo, and Adam will surely affect our transfers in the summer. Spending so much money on them may have cut the the availability of funds for Kenny for the upcoming summer. But money isn't what I'm concerned about. Buying only an ST and a winger may not be enough to mount a challenge because of the strengths of our opponents (especially City who will definitely have the funds to spend huge again during the summer). At this point the center midfield position may not be our biggest priority but the battle in midfield will surely have a huge difference in our season next season especially if Kenny wants to play possession or one touch passing football.

If you look at our performances and stats, our main problem this season has been our inability to finish chances created. We lie last in the league based on this stat. Our creation isn't terrible either. It could be better though.
poolsupporter
poolsupporter
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:41 pm

I understand that a Striker and/or another creator/finisher is our main priority to take this team to another level. But I see all of our rivals getting stronger during the summer which will mean winning the PL would be even more difficult next season, and we'll need out team to be at their strongest in every position possible.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:46 pm

I don't believe we overpaid for Adam in the current market, honestly. I think we would have been better served spending more on someone better, though.

And Henderson, given his age and how long he could serve the club, could turn out to be a decent price as well.

I have nothing to say on Downing.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaChaMooMoo Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:41 pm

Someone creative.
ChaChaMooMoo
ChaChaMooMoo