Montella shadow haunts Enrique

4 posters

Go down

Montella shadow haunts Enrique Empty Montella shadow haunts Enrique

Post by Patrick Bateman Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:32 pm

Montella shadow haunts Enrique

One of the many subplots to this season will be where Vincenzo Montella’s Catania finish the campaign in relation to Roma, as Antonio Labbate writes.

Roma are convinced that they hired the right man in the summer. They made that quite clear when, after the 3-0 loss at Fiorentina in December, they offered Luis Enrique a new contract despite the worrying statistic that his Giallorossi side had collected just 17 points from a possible 39.

It was the kind of form that would force Italian clubs to consider their options, a slump in results which led Vincenzo Montella, the tactician who Enrique replaced in the summer, to quip: “If I was in the Spaniard’s shoes at Roma, the club would have sent me back to commenting on games for television by now.”

Montella, who according to Catania director Pietro Lo Monaco has the DNA of an important Coach, is sadly right. He wouldn’t have been given the cloak of untouchability which Enrique has been provided with, nor the wristwatch which provides the former Spanish international the kind of patience that few of his colleagues in the Italian top flight are afforded.

The former Roma striker was considered as too inexperienced for the job, too much of friend to some of the Giallorossi squad to be an impartial tactician. To his credit, he left for Catania in silence even in the knowledge that fellow 4-3-3 practitioner Enrique – who arrived in the capital with the alluring whiff of Eau de Barcelona – was just as unproven.

Eight months on, however, and it is arguably Montella who has been the more convincing as links with Inter, Napoli and even Lazio testify. Sunday’s 1-0 win over the Biancocelesti saw the Sicilian minnows join Roma on 41 points in the table – albeit before the Giallorossi’s game against Genoa on Monday night.

Roma undoubtedly keep the ball better under Enrique than they did with Montella calling the play, but there has sometimes been a lack of effectiveness to the capital club’s brand of football this season – even after the switch from 4-3-3 to 4-3-1-2 – which has compromised results. Their defending at times has also been poor, leading to doubts about the true tactical aptitude of Enrique in a League which demands touchline intellect.

Montella too has had to abandon his preferred 4-3-3 on occasions, opting instead for a 3-5-2 which has seen playmaker Francesco Lodi win fans in central midfield, the return to form of Sergio Almiron and the courage to prefer Gonzalo Bergessio in attack over Maxi Lopez – even before the latter’s January move to Milan.

While there is the obvious argument that Enrique has had to settle into a new country and an unfamiliar style of football, Montella has had to adapt to a squad with a strong South American influence and a club who are always open to selling their best players.

Despite the constraints at the Stadio Massimino, The Little Aeroplane has got Catania flying and in some style. Not only have results been surprisingly good, especially in 2012, but the Elefanti have also been easy on the eye – an objective which was high on the agenda at Trigoria when the decision to appoint a new tactician was taken by Franco Baldini.

It should also be pointed out that Montella, during his 13 Serie A games in charge of Roma following the resignation of Claudio Ranieri, managed 1.85 points per game. Enrique, despite the summer spending spree, is only averaging 1.57 in Serie A. Statistically speaking, Montella’s Roma would be third right now.

Of course things have evidently changed at the Stadio Olimpico and the new project is in its infancy, but it is only natural to ponder whether Montella would have done better than Luis Enrique this season. With just three points separating them in the League table with 10 games to go and considering what raw materials they have to work with, there are some with the benefit of hindsight who are arguing that this Roma would have been more of a force under their former striker.

Roma, rightly or wrongly, have opted for the long-term view and their unyielding belief in Enrique is commendable in a world so contaminated with false promises. But there may be a time when instead of backing Enrique after another defeat, they start to question whether in searching for the next big thing in coaching, they actually sacrificed him.
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Montella shadow haunts Enrique Empty Re: Montella shadow haunts Enrique

Post by Patrick Bateman Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:38 pm

I will admit I didn't want him to hang around at the end of last season because i felt we needed an outsider someone with no connection to the club,which is exactly what we got but looking now at the way Catania have performed this season,impressive results and all with a low budget and so on,it makes me think where would we be now had we kept Montella. hmm

My feelings now is that we should have given him a chance,at least a season.
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:44 pm

He was too close to the squad honestly.

He'll always be my favorite Roma player, but he would never have been given the freedom that LE has. It would be seen as wholly inconsistent on DiBenedetto's part to completely revamp the club, but still leave the actual personnel intact. It would've rendered it all rather meaningless. Montella had to go for that reason.

McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JAY-Z Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:59 am

Felt sorry for him when i read this article.
JAY-Z
JAY-Z
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Tifoso Romanista Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:21 am

Montella shadow haunts Enrique 418268_258866137535803_178346322254452_592245_312397223_n

looking hunted Chaka
Tifoso Romanista
Tifoso Romanista
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Bateman Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:23 pm

Bring him back !
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:06 pm

This loss has nothing to do with Montella.

I still have 100% faith in Luis Enrique. He's the right coach for Roma still.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tifoso Romanista Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:56 pm

McLewis wrote:This loss has nothing to do with Montella.

I still have 100% faith in Luis Enrique. He's the right coach for Roma still.

agreed , we need to trust enrique
Tifoso Romanista
Tifoso Romanista
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Tifoso Romanista Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:07 am

Possible return to Rome Montella?
I have professional respect for Luis Enrique, I like his working methods. Roma are a great team and has done a good championship. It is not correct to speak of others, I think of my Catania.

But you're right behind Rome ...
At the media level is that there are speeches. But we have never done a race against anyone
Tifoso Romanista
Tifoso Romanista
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum