Le Samourai
RealGunner
Jay29
97 posters

Page 16 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Three Lions - Page 16 Empty Re: The Three Lions

Post by Art Morte Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:38 pm

Marking Pirlo isn't problematic in itself; it may be difficult or easy depending on what's the overall tactic. If you prioritize man-marking Pirlo, sure it can be done. But that would probably mean giving in in some other area.

Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:53 pm

Yohan Modric wrote:Exactly, clubs have used 4-4-2 successfully this season. Just because 4-4-2 is outdated, generic etc etc, doesn't mean it can't work.

Thing with England is they aren't good at possession. They aren't going to outplay Italy, Spain or Brazil. England are basically underdogs so they should play like underdogs. Focus on defending, 2 banks of 4, minimising space, set-pieces etc. Then look to counter with pace.

Well said.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Curtinho Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:04 pm

I still think the most effective formation for the current England squad is a 4 - 4 - 2 diamond that can have the middle-men move wide if necessary. Having Henderson and Wilshere in midfield gives a lot of grit and tenacity for insulation with Gerrard manning a DLP type position behind to help clear up whatever manages to trickle through (Henderson on the right for his motor and covering up for Johnson). Lallana can slot in very nicely to the 10 role behind a striking partnership of Sturridge and Rooney with his impressive passing ability, intelligent runs and combination plays. The defence is what it is, and Spud and Stud are both elite strikers.

Just my two cents about the team. As I said before this leaves room for Sterling, Barkley and maybe even Welbeck to come on as big time impact subs.
Curtinho
Curtinho
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by vivabarca38 Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:18 pm

IMO this could work:(4-1-2-3 from left to right)Hart-Baines-Cahill-Jones/Jagleika/Smalling-Johnson/Jones-Gerrard-Henderson-Wilshere-Rooney-Studge-Ox/Sterling

Rooney IMO can work as a left winger,It would use his workrat to defend the defensively vulnerable Baines.

and it would allow him to link up with Studge as when they're both upfront they're too close to eachother and Since the oppisiton identifies Rooney as the main threat they usually try to stop all passing lanes to him in the process effectively stopping all Link Up Play between the two.

A three man midfield would also be perfect for England.Henderson and Gerrard having a defensive role with Gerrard as A DLP,with Wilshere taking on a more agressive Attacking role.

vivabarca38
vivabarca38
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:06 pm

Steven Gerrard unable to complete England training after feeling tightness in his groin
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:19 pm

BeautifulGame wrote:Well Pirlo is 2 years older and Welback did a pretty decent job on marking Alonso in last year CL match

Pirlo's game doesn't really depend on athleticism. He'll just drift to different areas if someone is marking him. So if Welbeck is covering him he will push up into England's half where Welbeck will be uncomfortable. If it's someone like Henderson he'll stay deep in Italy's half forcing Henderson to push up high and leaving spaces in behind.

Having one player chase Pirlo around all day is pointless. If you really want to disturb Pirlo's passing you have press high as a team and win the midfield battle.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Gil Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:30 pm

Zealous wrote:
BeautifulGame wrote:Well Pirlo is 2 years older and Welback did a pretty decent job on marking Alonso in last year CL match

Pirlo's game doesn't really depend on athleticism. He'll just drift to different areas if someone is marking him. So if Welbeck is covering him he will push up into England's half where Welbeck will be uncomfortable. If it's someone like Henderson he'll stay deep in Italy's half forcing Henderson to push up high and leaving spaces in behind.

Having one player chase Pirlo around all day is pointless. If you really want to disturb Pirlo's passing you have press high as a team and win the midfield battle.

C'mon mate, there's a reason Pirlo hasn't been great in Europe since like the 06/07 season.
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:38 pm

Well that's debatable and even then, he won't have to play great if England make it easy for him lol
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:24 pm

That is exactly what Pirlo will do though, he has mastered that.

If a striker marks him, he goes so far into midfield the striker wont follow him.

If its a midfielder, he will become part of the defence. Further than any midfielder wants to go.

The key to it though is a secondary player taking advantage of this movement and bringing the ball forward instead.

For Italy, I will assume that man will be Di Rossi.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:35 pm

I think the mistake England will make won't be who they chose to mark Pirlo, but how they choose to defend as a team. In the Euros, we sat deep with two banks of four and allowed Italy to control the game. This time, I feel we need to be more positive and more proactive towards winning the ball back, and then retaining it once we do have it, but I'll be very surprised if Hodgson did that, being the cautious and rigid manager that he is.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:45 pm

Yeh I don't get all this mark Pirlo this, mark Pirlo that. It's about what England do as a team.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:51 pm

Every one will be on Pirlo's ass that they will forget to mark DDR...i think DDR will run the show against England.

Eventhough Italy will run the game with out any problem i dont think they will score more than 1 goal. Their attack doesnt convince me.
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:18 am

The Mirror decided to remind the English audience not to get their hopes up too much: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/englands-15-frustrating-world-cup-3664548

England practice penalties into EMPTY NET to try to end World Cup shootout jinx: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2014/england-practice-penalties-empty-net-3672072

Last edited by rwo power on Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:22 am

lol i'd consider it as an achievement to just get out of the group
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:23 am

BTW, I just added another fun article, but you were too fast to reply XD
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by neuro11 Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:39 am

rwo power wrote:The Mirror decided to remind the English audience not to get their hopes up too much: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/englands-15-frustrating-world-cup-3664548

England practice penalties into EMPTY NET to try to end World Cup shootout jinx: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2014/england-practice-penalties-empty-net-3672072

England is practicing for Euro 2016....they don need to worry about PKs in this WC  :coffee: 

Special Note: the same link provides a poll at the bottom where highest 27% think England will pack up after Group games... Neutral 

neuro11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:52 am

The Mirror doesn't need to remind everyone not to get their hopes up because nobody has any hope for this tournament. Expectations are the lowest they've been in a long time. In fact, there are more people from other countries telling us we'll do better than we think than people in our own country telling us we'll do better than we think.

It makes for a nice change.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:54 pm

Good point. Sometimes the burden of expectations is the biggest burden.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:41 am

Yohan Modric wrote:Yeh I don't get all this mark Pirlo this, mark Pirlo that. It's about what England do as a team.

i agree.

plus i gotta feeling that italy will do a rotation thing just like they did in euro. its not just pirlo but just how daniele de rossi pirlo marchisio and montolivo kept rotating, to make that midfield really unpredictable.

with no montolivo, i think veratti can perfectly do that.

so just marking pirlo is not enough thats why i agree how england makes that midfield effective with it comes to both defending and attacking.

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:17 am

Good luck playing Italy on this disgrace of a pitch.

The Three Lions - Page 16 Bp5THlrCEAEUkLZ

By Saturday it will look like this :coffee:

Spoiler:
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

The Three Lions - Page 16 Empty The Respect for England Thread

Post by Arquitecto Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:33 am

The victims of constant ridicule in humour and scrutiny, the party that neutrals love to dislike. England humbled after their 2010 lesson avoided the spotlight they loved to shine upon their existence and quietly undertook their new youth philosophy and import of foreign formats to build upon the new generation.

Unlike the previous times, they chose not to enter the world cup with the roar of a lion, instead taking a more apprehensive approach, heads down, eyes up, with a more subdued confidence quietly spoken amongst what has been a very united squad now.

Tonight was a game that should have been spoken of the differences between the teams not in quality but philosophies and the polar approach to the game. All the talk of Italia routing England were pre-mature and highly miscalculated; England brought one of the best international games in the past 2 World Cups.

A testament to how good this World Cup has been in a footballing sense, England-Italia had to be the best match of the tournament so far.

Heart in my mouth, blood above the healthy measure of speed, apprehension to every pass England made in the final third; never have the Three Lions earned my respect as they have now.

Yes England tired near the end mentally and physically; due to the absurd decision to hold this venue in the middle of the Amazon yet despite the Italian win and arguably a tactical victory, England have nothing to be downtrodden about. They played a match carefully prepared (Neville likely behind half the decisions given his deep deep knowledge of Italia), cleanly played and at times, quite unlucky. They in all honest created more than Italia, as the difference was who would finish their chances and outlast the extreme climatic outliers that dictated half the match.

It was a slow yet tactical match and understandable given the conditions will force you to utilize your mind ahead of your brawn and what we witnessed was two teams with immense respect for each other; ready to place the tense build-up into passes each with a thought behind it and carefully measured as litmus tests for philosophies of near polar ends.

It was refreshing to see a match not marred by refereeing decisions or unethical challenges and conducts or sloppy play. It was quite simply, a superb game of football.

And England have every reason to be proud of what happens to be a very young team. Uruguay lost so that DOES provide you leeway after this loss as the final game versus Costa Rica is advantageous. Worry not, you will get through the group.

And hopefully so as from the beginning I would England anyday over Uruguay to make it through the group stages.

Good luck, and much respect for such an engaging battle. England for tonight deserve no trolling yet a great mutual respect.

Italia-England really is turning in a classic battle as the close historical record between the two is mere testament to it.

Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:43 am

Respect :bow:

Looked threatening and had a definite tactical plan which took into account Italy's weaknesses - exploiting wide areas and then getting the ball into the box with quick CFs taking on Italy's slow CBs
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:45 am

Let's all pity-*bleep* England!!
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:49 am

Nice post Arq , though i do believe this to be the best game of the WC yet to be an overstatement , especially coming not one day after Spain-Holland.. but anyway.

For once , England did show their good face and it's something i am sure we all appreciated , neutrals and their fans alike at least. The Italians did look in comfort after Balotelli's goal though , especially in possesion , but the English did manage to make their own chances eventually , though to no avail.

Anyway , no need to say much , happy for Balo and the rest Milanisti , Pirlo was a treat to watch , England gave their best , hoping to see more of this by both teams on the road.

What a world cup this has been so far , some really enjoyable games at this point . I hope it continues all the way to the final .
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by zenmaster Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:51 am

Good performance by England tonight , they played with such confident and were threatening every time they had ball in opponent's third half. Lack of individual awesomeness is lacking but as a group they are doing much better. Defense need to work out as most of them have no experiences at This level but eventually they will learn.

Good start England. All the very best for the tournament.
zenmaster
zenmaster
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:00 am

Such a shame the final result doesn't reflect their performance, i think they were at least on par with Italy.
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28 ... 40  Next