+5
The_ItalianFool
Juventude
davidsNC
LWL91
DeviAngel
9 posters

Go down

SKY - JUVENTUS WILL WITHDRAW THE NO 10 Empty SKY - JUVENTUS WILL WITHDRAW THE NO 10

Post by DeviAngel Mon May 14, 2012 3:07 pm

Juventus would be ready to make a momentous decision. The number 10 shirt, even for a race worn by Alessandro Del Piero, will be withdrawn from next season. According to John Look at Sky Sports, this would be a tribute to the Old Lady is ready to take to remember its symbol. No player has ever had the honor Juventus, but Alexander is part of Juventus.

DeviAngel
DeviAngel
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

SKY - JUVENTUS WILL WITHDRAW THE NO 10 Empty Re: SKY - JUVENTUS WILL WITHDRAW THE NO 10

Post by LWL91 Mon May 14, 2012 3:48 pm

This will happen for sure. However, we still have the numbers 7 (Pepe but i doubt he'll keep it if a new arrival demands it) 9 and 11(PDC but same as Pepe). Those numbers are attractive as well.. Great honor to ADP withdrawing the #10. FORZA AGNELLI
LWL91
LWL91
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

SKY - JUVENTUS WILL WITHDRAW THE NO 10 Empty Re: SKY - JUVENTUS WILL WITHDRAW THE NO 10

Post by davidsNC Mon May 14, 2012 4:21 pm

nice and smart gesture
davidsNC
davidsNC
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Juventude Mon May 14, 2012 4:55 pm

I hope that this is just for a season. I've made my thoughts well known on this topic. No team should retire the No. 10 in football. The number is bigger than any player.
Juventude
Juventude
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by The_ItalianFool Mon May 14, 2012 4:58 pm

I like the idea of honoring ADP's memory and legacy... but this may be considered an insult to the other great number 10s we have had...
The_ItalianFool
The_ItalianFool
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Juventude Mon May 14, 2012 5:02 pm

They could have "honored" him by giving him another contract and letting him decide when he is done playing for Juve.

Juve needs to take their time with something like this and not make a decision based on emotion when the moment is still fresh. The number 10 is used to honor your top offensive player. The number 10 chooses the player, the player doesn't choose the number 10. This is why ADP gave up the no. 10 to Totti on the Azzurri when it was Totti's time.
Juventude
Juventude
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Nomad Mon May 14, 2012 5:40 pm

Long overdue, I say. Alex deserves this honor.

The_ItalianFool wrote:I like the idea of honoring ADP's memory and legacy... but this may be considered an insult to the other great number 10s we have had...

This beats the logic, how can this gesture be considered as an insult to our past greats? :brickwall: If anything, it just tells them Alex is the greatest of them all, unless you want to doubt that.

Del Piero is the greatest legend we ever had. Greater than Boniperti, Platini, and Baggio....name them all. Therefore if we honor our greatest legend, what is the fuss about? scratch
Nomad
Nomad
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Juventude Mon May 14, 2012 5:52 pm

Nomad wrote:Long overdue, I say. Alex deserves this honor.

The_ItalianFool wrote:I like the idea of honoring ADP's memory and legacy... but this may be considered an insult to the other great number 10s we have had...

This beats the logic, how can this gesture be considered as an insult to our past greats? :brickwall: If anything, it just tells them Alex is the greatest of them all, unless you want to doubt that.

Del Piero is the greatest legend we ever had. Greater than Boniperti, Platini, and Baggio....name them all. Therefore if we honor our greatest legend, what is the fuss about? scratch

So, by your logic, if someone surpasses ADP, do we then retire his number as well? The number 10 is a symbol in football, it's not a player's chosen number. It was given to him because of his role and importance to the team. To me, if you retire the number 10, Juve is pretty much saying that we will never have another great offensive player that is worthy of the jersey.

This isn't like american football, baseball, basketball, hockey, etc., where the player chose the number and makes that number great and memorable. The number 10 was given to ADP because he was following in the foot steps of prior great players and the same should happen with our next great offensive player.

Like I said, with all due respect to ADP, no player is bigger than the number 10 in football. If clubs start retiring the number 10, they will be taking away one of the great traditions of football.
Juventude
Juventude
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The_ItalianFool Mon May 14, 2012 6:16 pm

Lol it doesnt 'beat logic,' it maks perfect sense...

Even if he is a greater legend than all the other number 10s (which I think he is) it still would put a shadow over every other player who has worn number 10 for our club. How do you think our past players would feel? bounce

Juventude wrote:

So, by your logic, if someone surpasses ADP, do we then retire his number as well? The number 10 is a symbol in football, it's not a player's chosen number. It was given to him because of his role and importance to the team. To me, if you retire the number 10, Juve is pretty much saying that we will never have another great offensive player that is worthy of the jersey.

This isn't like american football, baseball, basketball, hockey, etc., where the player chose the number and makes that number great and memorable. The number 10 was given to ADP because he was following in the foot steps of prior great players and the same should happen with our next great offensive player.

Like I said, with all due respect to ADP, no player is bigger than the number 10 in football. If clubs start retiring the number 10, they will be taking away one of the great traditions of football.

^^^^

And what he said.
The_ItalianFool
The_ItalianFool
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Cotes Mon May 14, 2012 6:49 pm

GREAT!!!
Cotes
Cotes
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by davidsNC Mon May 14, 2012 7:15 pm

i wouldn't support permanently retiring the number, but for one year it seems like good business for 2 reasons: (1) it's a very nice gesture for an icon who has served our club for almost 2 decades and (2) it offers a little cooling off period for the fans and whomever comes in to fill in, in the attack. having a year w/o the # 10 will take away a lot of pressure from our next #10 as the will very likely be much less comparisons to adp, and less talk of player X coming to replace ADP (which nobody can do)

as for insulting baggio and platini, i think that's a non issue. if we're not allowed to think of new ways of doing things, just b/c those in the past may get offended b/c the idea wasn't thought of, when it could have affected them, then we (as in juve, all the way to society in general) would be stuck in stagnation. also, platitini and baggio are confident enough in all of their many accomplishments to not to be put off by that
davidsNC
davidsNC
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by DeviAngel Mon May 14, 2012 7:16 pm

davidsNC wrote:i wouldn't support permanently retiring the number, but for one year it seems like good business for 2 reasons: (1) it's a very nice gesture for an icon who has served our club for almost 2 decades and (2) it offers a little cooling off period for the fans and whomever comes in to fill in, in the attack. having a year w/o the # 10 will take away a lot of pressure from our next #10 as the will very likely be much less comparisons to adp, and less talk of player X coming to replace ADP (which nobody can do)

as for insulting baggio and platini, i think that's a non issue. if we're not allowed to think of new ways of doing things, just b/c those in the past may get offended b/c the idea wasn't thought of, when it could have affected them, then we (as in juve, all the way to society in general) would be stuck in stagnation. also, platitini and baggio are confident enough in all of their many accomplishments to not to be put off by that

one will argue that ADP has done more for Juve than baggio and platini and tbh I tihnk the same
DeviAngel
DeviAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by davidsNC Mon May 14, 2012 7:17 pm

i agree w/ devi, too
davidsNC
davidsNC
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by The_ItalianFool Mon May 14, 2012 7:49 pm

I like retiring it for a year- its respectful and takes off pressure from next no 10
The_ItalianFool
The_ItalianFool
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by 7amood11 Mon May 14, 2012 7:56 pm

With all due respect to Del Piero, there are plenty of other much better ways to honor him.

And besides, retiring the #10 would be like saying that nobody in the rest of Juve's history will ever come close to Del Piero's level, which is very wrong.

I wouldn't mind if we become picky in choosing who wears the #10, but completely retiring it would be wrong IMO.
7amood11
7amood11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Juventude Mon May 14, 2012 8:05 pm

DeviAngel wrote:one will argue that ADP has done more for Juve than baggio and platini and tbh I tihnk the same

I don't think that anyone would argue with that, it's more the idea of retiring the No. 10 after ADP, but not retiring after such other great legends. I'm guessing that this will just be for a season. Otherwise, it's a horrible idea in my opinion.
Juventude
Juventude
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by juve_gigi Mon May 14, 2012 10:27 pm

Platini won 3 ballon d'or trophies, in a row. Baggio won one and is one of only 4 Italians to ever win one. He is the greatest Italian player ever and Platini is in the top 10 greatest players ever. So don't ever compare Del Piero to these two legends of football. Del Piero might have done more in a Juve jersey than these guys cause he played 19 years versus only five for both Platini and Baggio, but in those five years Platini did much more for Juve than Del Piero in any of his five best years.

If the number 10 should be retired, then it should be retired for ALL Italian teams in honour of the greatest Italian player ever, Roberto Baggio. There will never be another Baggio, not now, not ever. No Italian player in our youth system or currently playing in Serie A even compares to the Baggio I saw play for my Juve and for many other teams including La Nazionale in the 1990's. Baggio singelhandedly led Italia to the 1994 World Cup final and almost won it by himself. He scored one of the greatest goals by an Italian player in World Cup history in 1990, if you don't believe me watch it yourself on youtube. I watched it on my TV when he scored it and I almost died from shock.

As Juventude has said MANY times, the number 10 is a symbol of greatness for a player and is worn by the best player on the team, and it has been worn by many legends including Del Piero. It should not be retired for ANYBODY because, as Juventude has stated so well, the number 10 is BIGGER than any one player. Like I said above, if it should be retired then retire it for every team in honour of Baggio, or else forget about it.

I have no problem however with having it retired just for next year, in honour of our great legend Del Piero. There are no other players worthy of wearing it anyway on Juventus as of right now, so that shouldn't be an issue really.
juve_gigi
juve_gigi
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Juventude Tue May 15, 2012 3:01 am

juve_gigi wrote:Platini won 3 ballon d'or trophies, in a row. Baggio won one and is one of only 4 Italians to ever win one. He is the greatest Italian player ever and Platini is in the top 10 greatest players ever. So don't ever compare Del Piero to these two legends of football. Del Piero might have done more in a Juve jersey than these guys cause he played 19 years versus only five for both Platini and Baggio, but in those five years Platini did much more for Juve than Del Piero in any of his five best years.

If the number 10 should be retired, then it should be retired for ALL Italian teams in honour of the greatest Italian player ever, Roberto Baggio. There will never be another Baggio, not now, not ever. No Italian player in our youth system or currently playing in Serie A even compares to the Baggio I saw play for my Juve and for many other teams including La Nazionale in the 1990's. Baggio singelhandedly led Italia to the 1994 World Cup final and almost won it by himself. He scored one of the greatest goals by an Italian player in World Cup history in 1990, if you don't believe me watch it yourself on youtube. I watched it on my TV when he scored it and I almost died from shock.

As Juventude has said MANY times, the number 10 is a symbol of greatness for a player and is worn by the best player on the team, and it has been worn by many legends including Del Piero. It should not be retired for ANYBODY because, as Juventude has stated so well, the number 10 is BIGGER than any one player. Like I said above, if it should be retired then retire it for every team in honour of Baggio, or else forget about it.

I have no problem however with having it retired just for next year, in honour of our great legend Del Piero. There are no other players worthy of wearing it anyway on Juventus as of right now, so that shouldn't be an issue really.

Well said. This is why Juve should let the effects of this momentous event settle in and take some time to reflect on how you want to commemorate ADP. Without a doubt he's amazing and holds a lot of major club records, but too often people like to crown what is happening now as the "greatest" ever. Give it some time and see how ADP fits into our club history and then decide how we want to remember him.
Juventude
Juventude
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum