Tactics For Next Season

5 posters

Go down

Tactics For Next Season Empty Tactics For Next Season

Post by Jay29 Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:12 pm

Arsenal aren't much of a "tactical" side. Usually we have just the one formation, with the same style of play to go with it and the idea to impose ourselves on the opposition, forcing them to adapt to us rather than the other way around.

Having said that, Arsenal's tactics do change ever so slightly every season, especially when there's a major turnover over in playing staff. Pre-season is the ideal opportunity to see if Arsenal will try anything different.

For example, due to injury Samir Nasri played in his preferred attacking midfield role at the end of the 09/10 season, and then featured there heavily in the 10/11 pre-season in the absence of Cesc Fabregas. In pre-seasons prior to that, Arsenal adopted 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 formations, Cesc Fabregas has been used in a new role, Wilshere has played in different roles, and players in general are used in different ways.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss and speculate potential tactical shake-ups for next season: will Arsenal return to the much coveted 4-4-2? Or will they revert back to 4-3-3? Will Walcott play more centrally? Will Wilshere find himself in more advanced positions? Will the defence improve? Things like that. The discussion will go on from now, all the way through pre-season and anything new or different we see in pre-season can be discssed here.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Tactics For Next Season Empty Re: Tactics For Next Season

Post by RealGunner Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:32 pm

you guys think that wenger may be planning on a different formation?

Since 09/10 we have been either going with the 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 which is similiar to the former one.

Its good with the attack but crap when it comes to defending because of fullbacks getting caught or our "CADKP" ( Central Attacking Defender kinda player) aka song goes up etc

4-4-2 is old fashioned and can easily be countered.

I was hoping, for a formation like 4-3-1-2 or a 4-2-1-3

The 4-2-1-3 can work like this

----------------------Szczesny/Fabiansky------------------------------

Sagna--------------Vermaelen-----------Djourou--------------Clichy

------------------------Song-----------------Wilshere----------------------

------------------------------------Fabregas---------------------------------

----------Walcott------------------------------------------Nasri--------------

-----------------------------------Van persie--------------------------------------

it looks like the 4-2-3-1 but maybe different while functioning ? It looks bad defensively though
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri Yukuv Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:35 pm

Didnt Carlo use a 4-3-1-2 during his losing run and then changed back?

It would take alot of time for english sides to play without width I think. (Which the 4-3-1-2 lacks)
Yuri Yukuv
Yuri Yukuv
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:46 pm

it can work with us because u need playmakers for that formation and we have a lot of them. Plus we dont really use width so it wont be a problem for us.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri Yukuv Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:52 pm

Yeah you do need playmakers, but I dont think you guys have the right fit cesc is not the right kind of player to play as the 1 in the 4-3-1-2. As for width, yeah you guys def dont use it in a typical english fashion but arsenal still uses alot more width than italian teams like ac milan who have the 4-3-1-2 as a standard. The 4-3-1-2 is also very vulnerable to the 4-2-3-1, which I think is a big reason italian teams havent been too hot.

Im imagining your suggestion as a typical 4-3-1-2, if you are talking about a tweaked one it would be great if you could explain.
Yuri Yukuv
Yuri Yukuv
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:04 pm

I think the formation is fine, it's the individual tactics that need to be sorted out. Along with set piece defending, obviously.

First of all, Song needs to stay back at all times!. He's gotten better at going up, and scoring this season, sure, but he's the only one with the physique and defensive abilities for the DM role in our midfield. In emergency situations he can bomb up, sure, but for most of all he should stay back. Wilshere was a blessing with his work rate and everything, but he's more a box-to-box type guy and not completely defensive minded. With Vermaelen back we have more creativity from the back, which should in theory leave Song doing his job.

Without Chamakh in the line up we should limit the number of centers our fullbacks do. I've seen plenty just go anywhere, and in heading we are getting owned unless Van Persie in unmarked or can shovel down a ball, but this takes too much time. I propose we get them to pass the ball, or cut in and SHOOT. I still remember that Sagna goal from like 25 yards out, it was a beauty and completely unexpected. Our Possession Obsession needs to go and shooting should be prioritised if we get the chance.

Arshavin needs to get his work rate up if we are to properly defend our left flank. Maybe try switching him to the center every now and then, that's were he plays best. A more direct counter attacking style, with direct passes and 0 pussy moves, like we played against Barcelona should be applied every now and then for tough sides or away games.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:04 pm

i dont think we will play with 2 strikers though. I might be wrong but it will be a 1 striker formation whatever wenger chooses
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:04 pm

The problem with 4-3-1-2 is that the width has to come from the full backs and our two best full backs at the moment aren't particularly great from an offensive stand point.

I've always preferred a 4-3-3. I like having the extra insurance of a defensive midfielder.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:11 pm

4-2-3-1 can be very defensive, too. It's really all down to tactics. If we played, say, Song and Diaby, that's one very balanced yet still offensive formation.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:19 pm

I think we suffered at times with the 4-2-3-1 because Wilshere had no defensive awareness at all at the beginning. Towards the end he improved A LOT on that regard.

Also, Song was too attacking at times, hence getting caught out.

Apart from that, Wenger made a mistake by putting song n Sagna on the right handside imo. Sagna is more then capable of getting back n time and putting in a tackle. Plus, if u notice, No manager plays his best winger against him. Like SAF always put nani against clichy, but never against sagna.

Song n Sagna were excellent, but Clichy n Wilshere were not. We suffered a bit due to that. I know wenger did that because of wilshere being left footed n song being right footed.

Maybe next season this may improve
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:29 pm

Not sure if putting Diaby in for Wilshere really changes anything tactics wise. Sure, Diaby has more strength but his tackling better is hardly any better, neither is his positioning.

One thing to consider next year is Vermaelen and his tendancy to bomb on forward. At the start of the 09/10 season, this little ploy turned out to work quite well because there was great understanding between Gallas, Song and Vermaelen. Whenever Vermaelen went forward, Song made sure to hold his position.

I get the feeling this would be easier to do if Song were playing depeer in midfield in a more traditional defenisve midfield role.

Tactics For Next Season Songrg

The yellow lines mark the zone Song should be operating in in any formation we play. When you've got creative midfielders like Fabregas, Wilshere and Ramsey, Song doesn't need to join in the attack that often.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:40 pm

man we really missed vermaelen didnt we.

cant believe hes only been with us for 1 full season n 5 matches but hes like as important as cesc
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:51 pm

Vermaelen's forward runs might help us unlock some of those stubborn defences. Not only would he be an extra man, but he has quite the shot on him and he isn't afraid to use it. Not to mention he's a threat from set-pieces because he agressively attacks the ball.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:18 am

GoonerJay29 wrote:
Tactics For Next Season Songrg

I wouldn't say putting Diaby would improve things, but at least you'd have more bulk for those set pieces or big PL players Jack couldn't handle. In other matters such as passing and aggression he is not as good, but he could play the "holding" midfielder of the back pair. Just an idea if Wilshere gets tired, injured or whatever.

I completely agree with your Vermaelen theory, it's what I meant that with him back Song can do his job better. He actually has a better pass than Song, and the rocket shot you mentioned. He's key to our game, just needs to remember to stay backwards sometimes so he's not caught out of position.

Anyways, my ideal CB pairing would be Djourou-Vermaelen. Steel and silk. Djourou can be the stopper while Vermaelen the ball playing CB. But Koscielny could work as well. He's very fast and as we witnessed against Barca, his interceptions are key. He can offset Vermaelen's sometimes shaky positioning. So I'd propose Kos-Verm against technical, fast or counter-attacking sides, and Djou-Verm in the Premier or against physical, slower opponents. Just my 2 cents. It's nice having varied CBs.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by KMD Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:26 am

with Djorou, Vermi and Kos we have at least 3 decent CBs who can rotate... the idea of it makes it sweet.

if Chmackh is playing he can retreat for set pieces and let wilshere go forward
but rvp is also good at clearing.

Don't we love the slides that wilshere produces? And he gets up while sliding with the ball, crazy! His work rate is high, so no need to put diaby there.

Is our team, the shortest in EPL?

KMD
KMD
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:36 am

Diaby on form is pretty beast going forward, though. When he remembers to pass or when he makes those mazy runs count and shoots, he can do great things.

When Wilshere learns how to shoot it'll be game over for Diaby, in any case.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by KMD Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:44 am

wilshere knows how to shoot

he just doesn't use it during the game.... scared? perhaps! And whenever he did shoot, he missed due to bad luck!
Why does c. ronaldo scores lots? Because he shoots a lot!

Diaby, is not consistent, has issues with temper (i can understand, but he's professional) and always injured! For a cover up, he's ok
KMD
KMD
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down