Versatility

+2
McLewis
Potential
6 posters

Go down

Versatility Empty Versatility

Post by Potential Wed 15 Aug 2012, 02:09

We are here to discuss the transformation of players positions, the required attributes for each position and negatives of playing a player out of position.

An example:

Urby Emaunelson; currently an AC Milan player, often regarded for his ability to play in multiple positions, having played as a leftback, left sided midfielder, attacking midfielder, winger and as a forward; adopting to all of those positions and still having the ability to change the game dramatically. The question is, what makes Emanuelson different to any other player? Why can he adapt to different positions easily while some players take years to change is position? Some players even after being deployed in a different positions for years, you would still see that differ reading of the game, why is he so different?

Discuss what a player needs to be versatile!
Potential
Potential
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Versatility Empty Re: Versatility

Post by McLewis Wed 15 Aug 2012, 02:15

IMO, for a player to be truly considered versatile, I think they need to have a proven record and ability to succeed in multiple positions. A DM that can play as a CB needs to be able to play both positions as well if not better than other players of a similar skill in that same positions.

For example, I consider Mascherano more versatile than De Rossi simply because he's better at CB than De Rossi is.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by MindGames7 Wed 15 Aug 2012, 02:22

The main two things a player needs to be versatile are:

Short pass completion %
Defensive action success %

Nothing else matters much at all.

Oh, and I forgot intelligence. That's the most important thing of all to be a good player in any position.
MindGames7
MindGames7
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Wed 15 Aug 2012, 13:27

For me the most well rounded and versatile player (that ive watched) is prime Michael Essien, hes played as a RB in a CL final, a makalele type DM, a box-to-box CM, on both the left and right flanks, at CB and on a rare occasion at AM and done a god job in all of those roles

Although to put a proper definition of versatility id say its a player who can play successfuly in a variety of postions (ie being a capable LB and LWB wouldnt count)

MindGames7 wrote:The main two things a player needs to be versatile are:

Short pass completion %
Defensive action success %

Nothing else matters much at all.

Oh, and I forgot intelligence. That's the most important thing of all to be a good player in any position.

what about somone like Daniel Sturridge who can play LW and CF?
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Wed 15 Aug 2012, 14:55

Fatman, wouldnt you say the fact Essien didnt play well at rightback means you can really put that down as one of his positions?

I mean he was super versatile dont get me wrong, but I like Lewis explanation of it, the player should be equally good (or at least pretty good) in whichever position for him to count it as his own.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Wed 15 Aug 2012, 15:03

my only memory of Essien playing RB is in the CL final in Moscow and tbh that games a bit of a blur although i know Grant had Ash Cole on CR and i cant remember who was on the other wing (maybe Giggs?) but i thought he did just a good a job as our first choice RB wouldve done, although due to nerves and the like the games a realy blur for me so if you say he wasnt as good as i remember ill take you word for it
unless of course hes played RB on other occasions which i dont remember and done a not so good job at it

fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by MindGames7 Wed 15 Aug 2012, 15:43

fatman123 wrote:what about somone like Daniel Sturridge who can play LW and CF?

Again, to be a good left winger or centre forward, you need to be good at passing, and intelligent with your positioning, speed of thought and decision making. You should have a good workrate as well, but if you're a professional footballer that shouldn't be an issue. That is the bare minimum, and anything else is a bonus, in my opinion, for forward players. I know people say things like "well a winger should be good at crossing and a striker should be good at shooting" but really, crossing and shooting aren't things that happen very often in a game, and when they do, most players have a very low accuracy with them so in terms of attacking play, the best attributes you can have are always passing accuracy, creativity, intelligent movement and speed of thought. If you have those things, then you should be able to play in any attacking position.
MindGames7
MindGames7
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Wed 15 Aug 2012, 19:10

For example a good dribbling LB, can probably play LW. A good tackler could play CB. However ideally I prefer a player who's good at one position, rather than multiple. Which is why for example I prefer Marcelo at LB.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by MindGames7 Wed 15 Aug 2012, 19:20

mtfootball wrote:For example a good dribbling LB, can probably play LW. A good tackler could play CB. However ideally I prefer a player who's good at one position, rather than multiple. Which is why for example I prefer Marcelo at LB.

See now I think that a team of versatile players would be perfect.

Imagine a team of players who could all pass and move like Paul Scholes and had the athleticism and defensive classiness of Rio Ferdinand.
MindGames7
MindGames7
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Wed 15 Aug 2012, 19:39

Well look at Vasilis Torosidis of Olympiakos. Can and has played all along the backline for club and country as well as DM, CM and even RW. He's shown grit and tackling ability at CB and DM, endurance and good positioning at full-back and CM, as well as fine technique and direct running as winger.

What sets him apart from what we consider "versatile" players is that he tends to succeed just about anywhere he plays. That, above anything else, is what makes a versatile player.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by MindGames7 Wed 15 Aug 2012, 19:44

McLewis wrote:Well look at Vasilis Torosidis of Olympiakos. Can and has played all along the backline for club and country as well as DM, CM and even RW. He's shown grit and tackling ability at CB and DM, endurance and good positioning at full-back and CM, as well as fine technique and direct running as winger.

What sets him apart from what we consider "versatile" players is that he tends to succeed just about anywhere he plays. That, above anything else, is what makes a versatile player.

Not seen him but I bet you'll say the best thing about him is his understanding of the game.
MindGames7
MindGames7
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Sun 16 Sep 2012, 14:48

MindGames7 wrote:Imagine a team of players who could all pass and move like Paul Scholes and had the athleticism and defensive classiness of Rio Ferdinand.

wasnt this the foundation of the Dutch "total footall". Players being able to interchange postions at any point in the game to compensate the build up and being able to start in a variety of postions to offer the best solution to the oppostion as wella s best compliment their team mates

I think pep was after something similar by having Busqets and Masch play as CBs as it allowed them to interchange postions with eachother as well as puyol and pique whenever they pushed further up
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down