Adam Johnson to Sunderland for 11 mill, is this Crazy???

+30
DeletedUser#1
urbaNRoots
LeBéninois
TheRedStag
justdoit_
Be/\/ceCALI
BeautifulGame
free_cat
EL Patron
EarlyPrototype
Art Morte
Kick
Kingofeverythingclassy
NiallQuinnsdiscoPants
Ganso
RealGunner
fatman123
VanDeezNuts
Gil
Swanhends
McAgger
Blue Barrett
Onyx
II Capitano
Great Leader Sprucenuce
VendettaRed07
Jay29
vivabarca38
Le Samourai
Dnmac4
34 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Adam Johnson to Sunderland for 11 mill, is this Crazy??? Empty Adam Johnson to Sunderland for 11 mill, is this Crazy???

Post by Dnmac4 Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:49 pm

All these England players keep getting sold and bought for insane amounts of money, sometimes two and three times what there really worth and for my money Adam Johnson is one of the best prospects England has plus he's young and Sunderland get to just buy him for 11 mill????

I never understood why he didn't play more for City or England for that matter and I mean is he the most underrated England player ever? I mean when you compare his talents and potential to a guy like Henderson or Rodwell, Carroll, and even Milner or Barry I think he's produced more in the little time he gets plus he's got loads of natural talent and he's more consistent then Walcott IMO (maybe not as Walcott can look great some games) too.

I mean what am I missing here? You would think if City was making him available for 11 mill teams would be fighting over him not just because he's already a really good player and has potential to be even better but he's English too and EPL teams usually go nuts over English players and throw all caution out the window when buying them.

I like City and do follow them but not to the extent that I follow Barca by any measure and I need someone to tell me if I'm way off here, I mean what's the deal? How is this happening?

I would think almost every EPL team would want this guy, I mean throw me a bone here EPL fans, does this seem normal in the least bit? IS there something about him most people don't know about?
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Adam Johnson to Sunderland for 11 mill, is this Crazy??? Empty Re: Adam Johnson to Sunderland for 11 mill, is this Crazy???

Post by Le Samourai Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:52 pm

My reaction to this new after seeing Downing today.

Adam Johnson to Sunderland for 11 mill, is this Crazy??? Bert_eyes
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Adam Johnson to Sunderland for 11 mill, is this Crazy??? Empty Re: Adam Johnson to Sunderland for 11 mill, is this Crazy???

Post by vivabarca38 Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:59 pm

This guy should start for any EPL team other than United,and instead he gets thrown to Sunderland :facepalm:.Hes better than James Milner,Henderson,Charlie Adam and Downing combined.
vivabarca38
vivabarca38
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:02 am

I never understood why he didn't play more for City or England for that matter and I mean is he the most underrated England player ever?

No. He's incredibly inconsistent. Johnson can produce moments of quality but only does so in flashes. He only influences a game in 10-20 minute patches before going completely anonymous.

I mean what am I missing here? You would think if City was making him available for 11 mill teams would be fighting over him not just because he's already a really good player and has potential to be even better but he's English too and EPL teams usually go nuts over English players and throw all caution out the window when buying them.

None of the top seven need him, bar Liverpool.

I like City and do follow them but not to the extent that I follow Barca by any measure and I need someone to tell me if I'm way off here, I mean what's the deal? How is this happening?

I would think almost every EPL team would want this guy, I mean throw me a bone here EPL fans, does this seem normal in the least bit? IS there something about him most people don't know about?

As I've said above, he's struggled to put in a consistent string of performances and so he become second fiddle to Nasri, Silva, etc. He's not good enough to start over those guys.

It was expected he would leave eventually to a club where he will play every week. The fact it'll be Sunderland isn't that surprising because, again, none of the bigger clubs needed him and clubs like Everton and Fulham can't afford him.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:05 am

vivabarca38 wrote:This guy should start for any EPL team other than United,and instead he gets thrown to Sunderland :facepalm:.Hes better than James Milner,Henderson,Charlie Adam and Downing combined.

Yea, I mean I don't get it. Now take this with a grain of salt because it was a Goal.com article I read it from but even Sunderland is trying to negotiate a loan move because they don't want to pay his 75k a week salary.

I mean thats not much for a player like him they should buy him for 11 mill and be happy to cut that check every week.

This is just weird, I don't understand it. Not to mention I still think City could use him.
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:06 am

They still overpayed a bit imo. Worth more in the 5-8 million range. He is still better than a lot of the other overpayed english players, but that just goes to show just how much teams overpayed for those players.
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:07 am

One thing..... LOL.COM

In any case he's overrated, inconsistent, greedy and wouldnt know what " team" meant if you shove it in his face and a MOTD player in every sense of the word.

He's talented and will be a very good player for them but let's go mad.

The only club outside the top 6 who could afford him and he would start and improve them is Liverpool.

Man Utd are too good for him and don't need him, Chelsea same, Arsenal same and Newcastle and Spurs don't need him.

BTW rumour tonight is that Everton want him on loan.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:12 am

GoonerJay29 wrote:
I never understood why he didn't play more for City or England for that matter and I mean is he the most underrated England player ever?

No. He's incredibly inconsistent. Johnson can produce moments of quality but only does so in flashes. He only influences a game in 10-20 minute patches before going completely anonymous.

None of the top seven need him, bar Liverpool.

As I've said above, he's struggled to put in a consistent string of performances and so he become second fiddle to Nasri, Silva, etc. He's not good enough to start over those guys.

It was expected he would leave eventually to a club where he will play every week. The fact it'll be Sunderland isn't that surprising because, again, none of the bigger clubs needed him and clubs like Everton and Fulham can't afford him.

I mean Fulham is going to sell Dempsey so you would think they could afford him.

And I'm sorry but I just don't buy that none of the top 7 teams can use Adam Johnson, hell I still think City can use him and in certain games he's a better fit for what there trying to do then Nasri.

Plus a lot of the times he's in games he comes in as a sub. When he starts he usually plays much better.

And also, most wingers in the EPL are wildly inconsistent even older more experienced players. You would think one that doesn't play much for his club and usually gets thrown in when there sputtering and needs offense and still impress' would be the one you want as when he starts he's usually much better.
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:17 am

Fulham don't really need him either they have some quality attacking players.

And know i'm not that certain they could afford him.

Plus considering City use 3-5-2/3-4-1-2 now there is no place for Johnson.

Also some of the top 7 could use Johnson true, but he's leaving to City to start games.

And only Liverpool out of the big teams can guarantee him that.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by II Capitano Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:24 am

I really don't get the hype that surrounds the overrated Adam Johnson. First and foremost, he has never been able to put in a decent amount of consistent performances for Manchester City, even though he looked good when he first arrived at the Etihad. Mancini only utilises him when the game is virtually won and, even when he is given this sort of chance, which isn't much, he doesn't take it well.

As Mancini has highlighted on quite a few occasions, once Johnson scores, or has a good game, he thinks that he can put less work overload than the other players, which shows how naive he can be and has been. I believe he would fit well into any other teams (not top clubs) and Liverpool (no, not a dig). He is much better than Downing, whose predictability gets him nowhere.
II Capitano
II Capitano
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:38 am

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Fulham don't really need him either they have some quality attacking players.

And know i'm not that certain they could afford him.

Plus considering City use 3-5-2/3-4-1-2 now there is no place for Johnson.

Also some of the top 7 could use Johnson true, but he's leaving to City to start games.

And only Liverpool out of the big teams can guarantee him that.

I mean did you see Walcott and Gervinho today? Not saying he's better but he also has never been given the chances they have and they are beyond inconsistent.

Plus what about teams like Aston Villa have they just given up trying to win? Did they just spend all there money on Darren Bent and quit being a real team?

Can teams like Villa, Everton, QPR, West Ham, Spurs, Stoke, Pool, West Brom, Fulham (wasn't Ruiz a similar purchase) really not afford a 11 mill transfer at 75k a week? I mean thats a pretty standard transfer these days for mediocre players.

I thought the EPL still had money plus a lot of these teams like Sunderland for example have not made one move yet in the market.

BTW, I really am asking because it's hard to believe that these teams just can't afford to pay this for Adam Johnson plus the shirts he will sell being English alone.

Just because teams have players in his position doesn't mean there better then him.

I'm just kind of confused by the whole thing, from the football I watched today since I can't watch La Liga or Serie A anymore (Arsenal vs Sunderland, Pool vs Brom, Newcastle vs Spurs) I would think teams would be all over a player like this and they need him too. This isn't a shot at any team in particular and yes I know it was the first week and teams will get better but let's just say they were not offensive works of art. If it were not for penalties it would have been pretty boring.
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:38 am

And also, most wingers in the EPL are wildly inconsistent even older more experienced players. You would think one that doesn't play much for his club and usually gets thrown in when there sputtering and needs offense and still impress' would be the one you want as when he starts he's usually much better.

That may be the case, but that wouldn't justify the money it would cost to buy him. You wouldn't replace an inconsistent player with another one if you could help it.

The biggest clubs in the league would only buy him as a backup/rotation player, because even when he starts game he still only appears in patches.

So that leaves the mid-table clubs as his only viable choices for consistent, first team football. When you narrow down the clubs who could actually afford him, you're left with Sunderland and possibly Stoke.

If he's available on loan, Everton might go in for him, so long as the wages are reasonable.

Therefore, it would not be a surprise or crazy for him to join one of those clubs.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:40 am

11m sounds about right for him. However if he was say playing for a lower club right now and was on form, he'd probably go for at least around 20m imo.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:48 am

II Capitano wrote:I really don't get the hype that surrounds the overrated Adam Johnson. First and foremost, he has never been able to put in a decent amount of consistent performances for Manchester City, even though he looked good when he first arrived at the Etihad. Mancini only utilises him when the game is virtually won and, even when he is given this sort of chance, which isn't much, he doesn't take it well.

As Mancini has highlighted on quite a few occasions, once Johnson scores, or has a good game, he thinks that he can put less work overload than the other players, which shows how naive he can be and has been. I believe he would fit well into any other teams (not top clubs) and Liverpool (no, not a dig). He is much better than Downing, whose predictability gets him nowhere.

YEa, I see what your saying and your right. Mancini usually puts him in when they have already won the game or they can't score and need a spark and he usually looks good.

That's a hard situation to come in and look consistent in. When he starts he plays well but he's not good enough to be a starter on City I will admit that.

And BTW, a lot of young players when they start playing well it goes to there head especially with the English Media calling players like Wayne Rooney, Pele.

He's not the only one who drinks his own kool aid. I would throw someone like Aaron Lennon in that same pot, I still think Johnson could start for Spurs and impress a ton more then Lennon with all the opportunities he's been given.

It's hard not to drink your own Kool aid with the English Press. a lot of youngsters suffer from it.
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:55 am

Fair enough mate, my main argument was that Liverpool was the best team that could start him.

Whether they could afford him or not i don't know he would walk into the teams you mentioned.

And most of those teams are on a similar level to Sunderland....

As far as the price goes you probably have a point there but i should say that Liverpool's transfer shouldn't be payed attention to Laughing

Personally no one in the TOP 6 really needs him or too good for him.

As Jay said Everton are possibility if he comes available on loan and the rumor in the media tonight is they are trying to just that....

As for ourselves Johnson would be a complete waste of time, we simply don't need him and have 3 areas of weakness that should be strengthened before even considering someone like Johnson.

BTW Johnson maybe more talented than Lennon but i personally prefer Lennon to him, he maybe a kick and run type of winger but he's extremely effective and when we play Spurs concerns me a lot more than Bale does.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:55 am

He's overrated and inconsistent.
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:04 am

GoonerJay29 wrote:

That may be the case, but that wouldn't justify the money it would cost to buy him. You wouldn't replace an inconsistent player with another one if you could help it.

The biggest clubs in the league would only buy him as a backup/rotation player, because even when he starts game he still only appears in patches.

So that leaves the mid-table clubs as his only viable choices for consistent, first team football. When you narrow down the clubs who could actually afford him, you're left with Sunderland and possibly Stoke.

If he's available on loan, Everton might go in for him, so long as the wages are reasonable.

Therefore, it would not be a surprise or crazy for him to join one of those clubs.

I'm not arguing with you, this is a real question.

Your telling me that teams like Villa, Fulham, QPR, Spurs, Everton, Stoke, West Ham, West Brom, Pool, NEwcastle, Wigan etc Cant afford a player for 11 mill at 75k a week?

Wasn't Bent, Bryan Ruiz, Cisse, N'zogbia, Hoilett, Zamora, Crouch etc etc similar transfers?

Do these teams really not have the money to buy an English talent like this for 11 mill. This is sounding like La Liga.
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:07 am

NO THANK YOu!!! After this game, I'm fed up with British players. WE already have brave Joe Cole, resilient Stewie Downing, magnificent Charlie Adam, and above all dedicated Andy Carroll!!!
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:08 am

We wouldn't give him 50k a week matter about 75k, only Colo gets above 50k.

And we definitely wouldn't spend 11m on a squad player in a position where we are already stacked.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:13 am

was Johnson like really good before the City transfer or something?

Since he ended up in Manchester I haven't really seen anything from him to warrant the kind of hype he gets
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:21 am

Your telling me that teams like Villa, Fulham, QPR, Spurs, Everton, Stoke, West Ham, West Brom, Pool, NEwcastle, Wigan etc Cant afford a player for 11 mill at 75k a week?

Out of those clubs, only Spurs, Liverpool, QPR and possibly West Ham and Stoke have the funds the transfer policies that would allow them to sign Adam Johnson. West Ham and Stoke are probably too low a level for Johnson to join them.

Villa have changed their spending policy a lot since that Bent transfer. They look for bargains and rely on a lot on reserves and youth now.

Fulham are usually a team who spend low but pay pretty high in wages for a club of their stature. This summer, they've signed two players on a free and one player on loan. That doesn't suggest they have a spare £11mil lying about to buy Johnson with. Besides that, they're already well covered in wide areas.

Everton are notoriously tight with their cash. They make the odd high-money (for them) purchase like Jelavic and Mirallas but generally don't have the funds for an £11mil player, nor would they pay those wages. If they did, they would have used them to break into the top seven by now.

West Brom and Wigan have no chance of signing a player for £11mil and paying him £75k p/w.

Stoke is a possibility, but Pulis likes more traditional wingers (Ethrington, Pennant and Kightly, for example).

Do these teams really not have the money to buy an English talent like this for 11 mill. This is sounding like La Liga.

You're talking as if £11mil is nothing to these clubs. They might not be facing an impending financial crisis like some La Liga clubs but that doesn't mean that can just dish out £11mil and £75k p/w wages, English talent or no.

was Johnson like really good before the City transfer or something?

He was tearing the Championship to pieces with Middlesborough before City bought him. Was known as a talent back then but wasn't hyped to the extent he is now.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gil Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:23 am

Have to agree with Dnmac. He's a MOTD player at the moment but I think he would be alot more consistent if he was a guaranteed starter.

Would have been a good signing for Liverpool. Alot better than Downing.

Last edited by Gil on Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:23 am

BhritanniaBhlue wrote:was Johnson like really good before the City transfer or something?

Since he ended up in Manchester I haven't really seen anything from him to warrant the kind of hype he gets

Nope not really, he gets hype because he looks good on highlight shows.

He will do good things in a 20 minute span which looks highly impressive on shows like Match of the Day but in reality he doesn't work very hard, isn't much of a team player, inconsistent and greedy.

Also he's technically gifted winger who can can go inside and outside his fullback and English.

So naturally he get's hype.

Also Gil i disagree he was a consistent starter the season before last and his consistency never improved....

He's just one of those players.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by vivabarca38 Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:27 am

Walcott and Gervinho are extremely inconsistent,I dont see anyone yapping about that.
vivabarca38
vivabarca38
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

Back to top Go down

Post by Gil Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:30 am

Walcott is clearly better than him when he's used right. Theo is one of the most productive players in the PL.

He was class for City the first 6 months or so when they first bought him. Was shite against the big sides but he only just came from the Championship to be fair.

If the c**t would actually bother to defend I wouldn't mind taking him. He's better than Hulk imo.
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum