Red Alert
Kick
SchinnerC
McAgger
9 posters

Go down

Quality Midfield.....5 Years on  Empty Quality Midfield.....5 Years on

Post by Guest Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:09 am

There was an infamous chant that used to be sang by Liverpool fans in 2007...it went something like

oooooo, ooo ooooooo
we've got the best midfield in the woooooorld
Xabi Alonso, Momo Sissoko
Gerrard and Mascheranoooooo

ooooo, oooo, ooooooo
and repeat.

then Lucas was added and Momo went, unfortunately Lucas didn't become beastly until Xabi was here (imagine if he did affraid ) .

Now we seem to be getting closer to that standards, though not as good still.

Gerrard isn't as good of a midfielder as he was back then...but we have 3 new maestros

General Lucas Leiva :bow:
Joe "I don't give the ball away" Allen
and looks like Sahin.

For the first time since Xabi's departure, we seem to have 3 amazingly natural footballers in Midfield who are very smart and intelligent with the ball, calm under pressure, and good at pressing and winning the ball back.

Exciting times await.........

Back to top Go down

Quality Midfield.....5 Years on  Empty Re: Quality Midfield.....5 Years on

Post by McAgger Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:37 am

Sepi I will kill you if you jinxed this deal with this thread. :coffee:

But to be honest, I can't hide how happy I got when I read that Sahin deal fell through with Arsenal and when BR made those statements. Truly we can start dreaming again. bounce bounce drinking
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by SchinnerC Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:54 am

I found myself singing the sentences you wrote because of the oooo, ooooo. Ended up not remembering a single word you typed.

Sahin going to Arsenal Smile
SchinnerC
SchinnerC
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:50 am

Joe Allen has now made 100 passes for Liverpool (in 112 minutes of play), completing 96 of them [OPTA]

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

WANK TIME

Back to top Go down

Post by SchinnerC Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:03 am

Joe Allen = Bawse :bow:
SchinnerC
SchinnerC
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:04 am

Allen-Lucas-Sahin are like Liverpool Midfield Mafia

Allen = Axwell
Lucas = Steve Angello
Sahin = Seb Ingrosso

:bow:

Back to top Go down

Post by SchinnerC Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:15 am

Still don't think Nuri's heading to Anfield though. SAF why no try sign Nuri!!??!
SchinnerC
SchinnerC
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:33 am

I knew Allen would boss it, thats why I wanted him at Chelsea.

He is going to be a great catch.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:11 am

Sahin is not a Liverpool player yet.

Henderson, Allen, Lucas, Suso, Shelvey and Gerrard is a great midfield though - with great potential. Add Sahin to that and it's immense.

Adam and Spearing have no future in the midfield of Liverpool in my opinion.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Fahim89 Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:50 am

ynwa wrote:Sahin is not a Liverpool player yet.

Henderson, Allen, Lucas, Suso, Shelvey and Gerrard is a great midfield though - with great potential. Add Sahin to that and it's immense.

Adam and Spearing have no future in the midfield of Liverpool in my opinion.

Totally agreed can't really see the point of the two still fitting in our plans. . but from BR's interviews its sort of clear he wants Charlie to stay . . on Spearing there is really nothing concrete. .

But the top 4 options in Midfield. . . Lucas, Gerrard, Allen & Sahin!! Looks brilliant. . .

This Allen guy is just brilliant with the calmness & composure you all added I would just add the space that he always seems to make himself setting up crosses never seems to put much pressure on himself. . Really someone who threads things in Midfield. . :bow:

Its good to see the nickname of "General" has caught on with us here! (kudos to me Razz ) nothing much to add this guy phenomenal in his day but for now lacks fitness which is i am very sure temporary. :bow:

Sahin is someone I have followed slightly from Dortmound times. . & seriously think the guy's passing & eye for through ball or runs is outrageous. . Definitely a world class addition & a necessary input cause our midfield might be packed in quantity but lacked quality in depth . . :bow:

Finally "Captain Fantastic" he looked out of touch in the last game . . he has been doubted by some & criticized by many. . But i still believe he on his day can still produce the magic with the ball that we have all come to see & love. For me the best there was & will ever be in a red shirt. The only talisman in the team currently :bow: :bow:
Fahim89
Fahim89
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:17 am

One thing keeps bothering is what will happen to Joe if Sahin is signed. Not only they fill the same spot (though not in similar style), we can field only three MF with Lucas & Gerrard taking two of those.

I have a soft spot for Jay but Adam must leave in case Sahin does come.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Fahim89 Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:25 am

iftikhar wrote:One thing keeps bothering is what will happen to Joe if Sahin is signed. Not only they fill the same spot (though not in similar style), we can field only three MF with Lucas & Gerrard taking two of those.

I have a soft spot for Jay but Adam must leave in case Sahin does come.

Well four solid midfielders is a must. . Even though Sahin comes in with the number of matches we have to play each of them can easily fit in! ! Europa, Carling, FA & EPL! ! Hopefully moderately well in all competitions then a lot of matches & also can't guarantee the other two Gerrard & Lucas to be able to play all of them. These 4 will would be rotated frequently . . and for change we would finally have some1 in the bench to CHANGE a game! Chaka
Fahim89
Fahim89
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:05 pm

I would expect Lucas, Gerrard, Sahin, and Allen to all start together much of the time. Otherwise it will likely be Sahin and Gerrard rotating due to Gerrard's injury issues in the past couple of seasons.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:34 pm

RedOranje wrote:I would expect Lucas, Gerrard, Sahin, and Allen to all start together much of the time. Otherwise it will likely be Sahin and Gerrard rotating due to Gerrard's injury issues in the past couple of seasons.

How can four MF feature in 433! Are you suggesting Gerrard will be part of attack (SS as in days of Torres) along with Suarez & Borini!
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:45 pm

iftikhar wrote:
RedOranje wrote:I would expect Lucas, Gerrard, Sahin, and Allen to all start together much of the time. Otherwise it will likely be Sahin and Gerrard rotating due to Gerrard's injury issues in the past couple of seasons.

How can four MF feature in 433! Are you suggesting Gerrard will be part of attack (SS as in days of Torres) along with Suarez & Borini!

I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see Gerrard start in one of the free-floating wide forward roles at times. I also wouldn't be surprised to see a tweaked formation at times, with the line-up being somewhere between a 4-1-2-1-2 and 4-3-3 at times, with Gerrard in behind to the two more forward attackers.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:12 am

Do you think it would be completely crazy to try Gerrard as a CF?

He would still roam...it would just require he score more goals.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:33 am

RedOranje wrote:I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see Gerrard start in one of the free-floating wide forward roles at times. I also wouldn't be surprised to see a tweaked formation at times, with the line-up being somewhere between a 4-1-2-1-2 and 4-3-3 at times, with Gerrard in behind to the two more forward attackers.
^This.^

I'm thinking a formation similar to the 4-3-3 we've been playing could incorporate Gerrard and allow him to feel less pressure to retain possession in the midfield and more control in the attacking movement.
-------------Suarez
-----Borini-----------Gerrard
--------Allen------Sahin.............(Still a big IF in my book)
Enrique------Lucas---------Glenjo
--------Agger-----Skrtel
-------------Reina

Reminder: Borini and Gerrard aren't really wingers, but more inside forwards/second strikers/wide forwards/what have you. Assaidi would fit perfectly into the left WF slot, and could also provide more width against narrow defenses.

Another, more risky, option would be this:
---Borini-------------Suarez
-----------Gerrard
-------------------------------
--------Allen------Sahin.............(Still a big IF in my book)
Enrique------Lucas---------Glenjo
--------Agger-----Skrtel
-------------Reina
No, I didn't leave in a line of dashes on accident. That's there to illustrate the desired space between Gerrard and the midfield. It's not REALLY a 1-4-1-2-1-2, but more of a 1-4-3-3 with an inverted forward line. The false9 and a half, if you will. Play Gerard centrally and give him a complete license to attack, while instructing Suarez and Borini to play a predominantly wide role. It's similar to Spain's false9 approach, but Gerrard is a much different player than has ever been given that role.

It would be interesting if nothing else.

donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:52 am

We need to give Suso a new contract ASAP.

We CANNOT risk losing him. He is too damn good to risk it.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:12 am

Le Samourai wrote:Do you think it would be completely crazy to try Gerrard as a CF?

He would still roam...it would just require he score more goals.

I've been thinking to this to myself this whole summer. We're in need of more goals than we've ever been. Gerrard is by far our best finisher we have at the club at the moment, probably has the most powerful and most accurate shot as well in the squad. Why not try him as CF. Put Suarez and Borini on his two sides and let him do work. He won't get much of the ball, and I think that would be something he wouldn't like much.

I can bet my future on the fact that he will finish most of the chances Suarez/Borini/Carroll combined have missed in the past year for us.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:42 am

Stevie and me! Gerrard's a role model who's guided me from day one, says Liverpool's rising star Shelvey
By Dominic King
PUBLISHED: 21:30 GMT, 7 September 2012 | UPDATED: 21:30 GMT, 7 September 2012

Jonjo Shelvey was savouring the finest night of his fledgling England career when talk switched to his first meeting with the current senior captain.

The Liverpool midfielder does not lack for confidence and there was a noticeable swagger in his step on Thursday night after he played a starring role for the Under-21s, scoring one and creating the other in a crucial 2-0 win over Azerbaijan.

When Steven Gerrard’s name cropped up, though, there was a noticeable, respectful shift in his tone, one that compelled him to tell a story about an encounter on his first day at Anfield that left an indelible, inspiring mark.

‘When I first joined Liverpool, I went up to see what the place was like and have a good look around the training ground,’ recalled Shelvey, who cost Liverpool £2million when they signed him from Charlton in May 2010.
‘We were on the tour and I had just met Rafa Benitez, when I was told to walk into one of the changing rooms. All of a sudden, Stevie is standing there, waiting to say “hello”.

'I’d grown up watching him, so to see him in front of me I was thinking “jeez, is this for real?”
‘A few months later we were playing against a great Napoli side in the Europa League. We were losing 1-0 and he came on and scored a hat-trick in 45 minutes. It was unbelievable. He’s the same off the pitch, a great man.’

Such have been the strides Shelvey has taken in the past two years, he has gone from an awestruck teenager to one of Gerrard’s regular golfing partners at their local course – “I’ve beaten him a few times,” he says with a mischievous smile – but this is not a relationship he takes for granted.
Shelvey is ambitious and clearly has belief he will one day graduate from the Under 21s to join the senior set up but daily training sessions alongside a man who last night in Moldova represented his country for the 97th time provide a sobering a reminder of how far he has to go.

‘Stevie is a great role model,’ said Shelvey, whose career began in the Academies of Arsenal and West Ham before he joined Charlton.
‘He’s been doing it for club and country for years. The way he plays is fantastic and to have him as my captain is immense. He is a lot different to Jamie Carragher.

‘You hear Carra a lot more on the pitch and that may leave some people saying “why is Stevie captain and not Carra?” But he is just different.

'He leads by example. It’s those times when we have been searching for a crucial goal and he’s dug in to get us out of difficulty.’

Given how influential Shelvey was in Baku, with his subtle range of passing and precise set plays, he is odds-on to retain his starting place against Norway on Monday in Chesterfield, when England will aim to secure the victory that will enhance their prospects of reaching Euro 2013.
For the 20-year-old, who was born in Romford, it will provide another opportunity to build on the encouraging start he has made to the campaign, as Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has looked to give him, and other youngsters Martin Kelly and Raheem Sterling, more responsibility.

‘It was important to try and show the gaffer what I can do and it was nice to be involved with the goals,’ said Shelvey. ‘I want to play when I come on these trips.

'There is nothing worse than leaving your family behind, training all week and then not getting selected.
‘I haven’t started too many games for the Under-21s (Thursday was only his fifth appearance), so it was nice to get the goal and set the other (for Steven Caulker) up.
‘I’ve had a good summer and the new manager at Liverpool has shown that he is going to give young players a lot of opportunities. It’s going to benefit me, Kells, Raheem and Hendo (Jordan Henderson).

'The past year has been very good but it is not something that you can rest on.

One day... Shelvey hopes to graduate to the senior setup at England
‘I was watching the Euros during the summer and it just makes you want to get to that level. It was great that Hendo and Kells travelled with the team and were part of that. It’s not every day you see your mates play for England.

'But you need to push yourself and I want to get to that level.’
Those words will be well received, both at Anfield and St George’s Park, as Pearce believes Shelvey has reached an age now where he has got to start imposing himself on games and setting the tone.

His efforts in Baku, then, were certainly a step forward.
‘Without being too critical or putting too much pressure on him, let’s say it’s time for Jonjo to deliver,’ said Pearce.

‘He has had a good pre-season and has caught Brendan’s eye. I was looking forward to see him play against Azerbaijan and he did very well.
‘He got a goal and it is now a case of discovering what type of player he is. He needs to decide how he is best going to influence matches.

'There is plenty to work with. He is a real keen lad, who wants to improve. I’m blessed as there are so many like that in the squad.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2199966/Jonjo-Shelvey-talks-Steven-Gerrard.html#ixzz25rFleU1j
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum