BarrileteCosmico
zizzle
Albiceleste
Magricos
Adit
30 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Is Copa America a serious competetion?? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is Copa America a serious competetion??

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:39 am

TBF Brasil, Argentina and Uruguay are the only teams worth anything in the Copa America. The rest are not that good/do not have a chance.

Where as the Euro's you have Spain, Netherlands, Germany, England, Italy, Portugal, France and the like.

The Euro's is a much harder competition to win, that much is certain. But that takes nothing away from the prestige of the Copa America.

You just have to look at the winners of the Copa America to realise what I am saying is true and in turn compare that to the winners of the Euro Cup. With the Euro Cup you have a much broader list of winners and no one truly stands above the rest.

The competition for the Euro is alot harder to win. Is it more prestigious, I don't think so.

Back to top Go down

Is Copa America a serious competetion?? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is Copa America a serious competetion??

Post by Albiceleste Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:40 am

I agree the Euro is a better tournament and holds more value but to compare the Copa to the gold cup and african nations cup is just disrespectful

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:42 am

african nations cup is harder tournament to win though,if there was no group qualifiers in World cup ,italy would have been the champions once again in 2010.
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Messi Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:48 am

It earns your team a spot in the confederation cup, Meanwhile it's meaningless for the guests to win. So, Mexico shouldn't even care, send some young players to get some experienced a little practice for the olympic games 2012 Besides it would be impossible to send their best players to mexico after a long season+1 month of gold cup. They only have 2 weeks- one month to rest before preseason games start.

African cup is pretty entertaining though lots of different styles, It's very hard to qualify for it. Very competitive and teams are pretty balanced. Egypt destroyed everybody for the past 3 cups. But they can't even qualify for a world cup.
Messi
Messi
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:18 am

Like I said before, either Concacaf & Conmebol combine and have 16 Copa America teams and Group Stage WC Qualifiers, or we seperate Brazil into 3 different countries.

Or just bring in Suriname and Guyana into Conmebol.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by KidA Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:35 am

Crimson wrote:TBF Brasil, Argentina and Uruguay are the only teams worth anything in the Copa America. The rest are not that good/do not have a chance.

Where as the Euro's you have Spain, Netherlands, Germany, England, Italy, Portugal, France and the like.

The Euro's is a much harder competition to win, that much is certain. But that takes nothing away from the prestige of the Copa America.

You just have to look at the winners of the Copa America to realise what I am saying is true and in turn compare that to the winners of the Euro Cup. With the Euro Cup you have a much broader list of winners and no one truly stands above the rest.

The competition for the Euro is alot harder to win. Is it more prestigious, I don't think so.

I think paraguay deserve a little bit of love here too. I mean they did come extremely close to knocking out Spain last world cup
KidA
KidA
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:12 am

So according to Adit, Copa America is inferior to African Cup Of Nations because South America has fewer countries than Africa?

/facepalm
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by KidA Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:49 am

I also feel an underrated part of the Copa America is the fans. South American countries have some really excellent supporters. If youve ever been to a world cup match, I'm sure youve seen a fleet of brazillian supporters out in numbers, beating their drums and having a great time. With the easier accessibility of Copa America, these fans come out and make a really great atmosphere.
KidA
KidA
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:09 am

Crimson wrote:TBF Brasil, Argentina and Uruguay and Paraguay and Chile are the only teams worth anything in the Copa America. The rest are not that good/do not have a chance.

In my opinion.

The guest thing does ruin it a bit in my eyes.

Use FIFA rankings. For each tournament, make a group stage of four countries for the four lowest ranking countries. Two will qualify for Copa America and it would be an 8 country tournament then.

Copa America is prestigious for South Americans. I don't see why anything would need to be added to that.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:50 am

Its about the same as the Euro's....but with better football.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:04 am

Ah, now I understand Adit.

There are qualifiers inside the tournament. Groups of 3 teams.

There are no qualifiers to decide who gets into the tournament, since there only 10 football playing countries in SA.

Hence, they invite two guests.

Now, since these 10 nations are all strong nations, with two favorites and four dark horses to choose from, you have a strongly competitive tournament. Not better than Euro, but better than cup of nations and gold cup, and the Asian cup.

If Mexico's federation allowed them to send a full strength team, they would have.

Seeing that Mexico is competing in the Gold Cup, their FEDERATION forbade them from a sending a full strength team into the Copa.

Japan had a frakking earthquake.

Adit, if you are really not a troll, you would have actually researched the format of the copa before posting this thread, or made basic research on the guest system, and made basic inquiry in why Mexico is sending an U-22 team. But since you did not, people are forgiven for thinking you are a troll.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:14 am

Copa America is serious... but nowhere near as serious as the WC and the Euro obviously. It lacks the global marketing push and media coverage that it needs. It's mostly really covered regionally.

But still a great tournament. Definitely 3rd imo.

As far as Mexico not sending its top squad because of the Gold Cup... that's kind of a slap in the face of Copa America.

Back to top Go down

Post by 7amood11 Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:34 am

Lionel Messi wrote:Lol, you rate african nations cup over Copa America? hahaha oh wow

I think you're being unfair here. The African Cup Of Nations is a great competition if you follow it.
7amood11
7amood11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:37 am

7amood11 wrote:
Lionel Messi wrote:Lol, you rate african nations cup over Copa America? hahaha oh wow

I think you're being unfair here. The African Cup Of Nations is a great competition if you follow it.

Perhaps. But they have absolutely zero top world quality teams in it... Copa America has Brazil, Argentina, Mexico and Uruguay to name a few. Africa needs to have a couple of its teams make it to a WC semi final before its regional tournament becomes relevant to the world.

Back to top Go down

Post by Albiceleste Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:38 am

7amood11 wrote:

I don't doubt its a great competition but the level of football is much higher in the Copa

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by 7amood11 Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:42 am

Lionel Messi wrote:
7amood11 wrote:

I don't doubt its a great competition but the level of football is much higher in the Copa

Yeah, you're right about that...

But Ghana's run all the way to the QFs of the WC will hopefully help African football in the long term.
7amood11
7amood11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:38 am

This will be my first Copa America that I've watched in it's entirety.

I have a distinct suspicion that detractors of this tournament either have not watched it or have draw negatives from what little they've seen of it.

Either way, you don't call the Copa America an "inferior" competition if you've actually watched it the whole way through.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:43 am

I think the Euro is even more competitive than the WC honestly. There's not one pushover team in the Euro. Granted, you are missing a couple of the great teams in the world. But from match one to the final, every game is very competitive.

But i digress.

Copa America is a very good competition. Two problems this year: Marketing and media coverage is not the greatest from a global standpoint. Mexico fielding a lot of B players is not the best sign.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jafaar Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:32 am

2nd best tourney in the world...
Jafaar
Jafaar
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by rsinatra Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:22 am

Adit wrote:trolling or not,if a NT is sending their under 23 team to a so called "big tournament" i dont know what is the reputation of that tourn.give me a reason.

copa is as serious as mexico sending their u-23 team.

are you insane?

mexico have just been to another major international competition, finished a week ago or so, of course they cant be at this one.

just like neymar and lucas won't be playing for the u-21 WC for brazil because they are playing at the copa américa with the senior team..

BarrileteCosmico wrote:The top 8 in the WC had 4 South Americans, 3 Europeans, and 1 African

I rest my case.

+1

Last edited by rsinatra on Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
rsinatra
rsinatra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sunderland

Back to top Go down

Post by rsinatra Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:24 am

gold cup = for central and north america. of course mexico care more about it.

no, really, im the stupid one.. why am writing in this thread? the guy is saying that the gold cup is better than the copa LOL, next thing he'll say is the asian CL is strong than the libertadores. good luck.
rsinatra
rsinatra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sunderland

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:06 pm

better football and better players,the only thing that euro has a + in is the fact that the teams are more competitive for the title
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Zamuro Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:17 pm

The last Copa America was in my home country when I was still there, what a wonderful atmosphere.Went to some Venezuela matches and even though we sucked back then I was happy. I was rooting for Mexico after Venezuela was eliminated (Who sent their full team in that championship) until they were disqualified by Argentina. I loved the finals.

It is indeed an amazing cup.
Zamuro
Zamuro
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:40 pm

Copa should stop inviting. Teams like US, Japan creates audience and may generate sponsors, but it does nothing in terms of quality.

Also, it should be a 8-team competition. It would be more competitive & more simple.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:51 pm

iftikhar wrote:Copa should stop inviting. Teams like US, Japan creates audience and may generate sponsors, but it does nothing in terms of quality.

Also, it should be a 8-team competition. It would be more competitive & more simple.
But then there would be less games, less money, less tv ratings, etc. Which way do you think the CONMEBOL authorities will decide for?

Also they don't always lower the quality. Japan planned to send a full-strength squad before the earthquake, that would be increasing the quality of the competition. Mexico in the past has sent full strength squads, it's just that this year it was during the same time as the Gold Cup. I would have preferred a country like Ghana to get invited instead of Costa Rica as a last-minute replacement but wth, Costa Rica has a comparable team to equivalent weak teams in the Euros.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:55 pm

Japan is a quality team, and USA is decent. Mexico can suck it if they place that shitty Gold Cup before La Copa. We can't stop inviting because we have limited teams. How the hell do you run a tournament with 8 teams? There would be no group stage and that's just too many changes or something so traditional.

As far as I'm concerned: average team quality of La Copa > average team quality of Eurocup. Sure, Europe has more "big" teams, but not by that much. Germany, Italy and currently Spain. The rest are more or less equal to American teams.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next