VivaStPauli
McLewis
McAgger
Raptorgunner
NiallQuinnsdiscoPants
Eman
13 posters

Go down

New York Red Bulls Youth Coach Mike Jones Stabbed to Death Empty New York Red Bulls Youth Coach Mike Jones Stabbed to Death

Post by Eman Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:55 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-19873810

A 25-year-old British man who was working as a football coach in the US has been stabbed to death in New York.

Mike Jones, originally of Tarleton, Lancashire, was attacked in Manhattan in the early hours of Sunday, the New York Police Department (NYPD) said.

Mr Jones, who coached the New York Red Bulls juniors, was declared dead on arrival at Bellevue Hospital, New York.

An NYPD spokesman said the coach had been found with a severed ear and stab wounds to his head and neck.
'Cannot believe it'

His father Perry said one of his son's friends had alerted the family to contact the NYPD via the social media website Facebook.

CCTV footage of a suspect has been released by the NYPD

"I contacted the police and I was totally shocked, I was expecting to hear he had been injured in an accident," said Mr Perry.

"We just cannot believe it."

He said his son spent 10 months a year in the US working as a coach and had just got his own apartment with two friends.

Mr Jones added: "He loved New York and he loved the lifestyle and was working hoping to get a visa so he could stay there full time."

Officers answering an emergency call found Mr Jones on the street near 25 West 14th Street at about 04:30 local time (09:30 BST).

The NYPD spokesman confirmed a "homicide investigation" was under way.
Premier League stars

Mr Jones had been a coach with the Youth Training Programme of the New York Red Bulls for the past five years.

"He was a tremendous individual, a fantastic coach who loved soccer and a terrific friend for many of us," the club said in a statement.
Perry Jones Perry Jones said his son loved living in New York

"This is truly a sad day for our soccer community and we will do our utmost to help authorities in their investigation of this case.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with Michael's family at this time."

The New York Red Bulls are one of the leading teams in US Major League Soccer (MLS).

Current players include former English Premier League stars Thierry Henry, formerly of Arsenal, and Tim Cahill, who played for Everton.

"It is absolutely horrendous," said Betty Parkinson, chair of Tarleton Corinthians, for whom Mr Jones used to play.
'Devastated club'

Her husband John, the club treasurer, said Mr Jones had been with the senior team from the age of 17 until he went to the US on a scholarship.

"He came home around November time and played football with us. So he kept in touch with everybody. He was just one of the lads," he said.

His former manager Dave Nelson said: "I feel anger, upset and absolute devastation. You wouldn't want that to happen to anyone.

"Mike was such a nice guy - down to earth, outgoing, funny, always up for some banter but he knew when to be serious, loving and caring."

Mr Jones is a former pupil of Tarleton High School, studied sports science at Edge Hill University and also played for Hesketh Bank FC.
Just horrible. RIP Sad
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

New York Red Bulls Youth Coach Mike Jones Stabbed to Death Empty Re: New York Red Bulls Youth Coach Mike Jones Stabbed to Death

Post by NiallQuinnsdiscoPants Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:01 pm

Sad RIP
NiallQuinnsdiscoPants
NiallQuinnsdiscoPants
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

New York Red Bulls Youth Coach Mike Jones Stabbed to Death Empty Re: New York Red Bulls Youth Coach Mike Jones Stabbed to Death

Post by Raptorgunner Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:07 pm

WOW, RIP. My heart goes out to his family, dieing at a young age. Sad
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:30 pm

Sad RIP. horrible way to go, I hope the people/person that did it burn in the deepest shithole of hell. my prayers go out to the family and friends. Shocking Sad
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:02 am

Had to be a mugging I'd say. Absolutely terrible.

Rest in Peace.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:19 am

What kind of mugger slices off an ear, and stabs you repeatedly?
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:22 am

VivaStPauli wrote:What kind of mugger slices off an ear, and stabs you repeatedly?

A very angry, jobless and poor one, mayhap? Though I must correct myself now since the reports are out that the police are ruling out a mugging.

Wouldn't be surprised if the fella that did this had a mental problem. It will be interesting when the facts actually come out about this.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:35 am

So sad.... Sad

RIP
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Catracho Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:11 am

dem New York City streets aint kind. Especially in Manhattan
Catracho
Catracho
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Dortmund

Back to top Go down

Post by TalkingReckless Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:12 am

RIP

there are reports that he had was arguing with a man before he was killed and the NYPD already as a suspect they are looking for.

And he was slashed in the neck according to NYPD
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by TalkingReckless Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:13 am

Catracho wrote:dem New York City streets aint kind. Especially in Manhattan

well it was 4:30 am in the morning according to reports in Union Sq (where there are alot of homeless people). Always chances so being mugged there at that time.
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by vivabarca38 Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:00 am

Rest in peace.
vivabarca38
vivabarca38
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:57 am

Poor man, Rest in peace.
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Nedved Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:00 pm

that's sad. NYC is not safe at nights. Poor fella.
Nedved
Nedved
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:39 am

Depends where and when in New York you are; I've been living here for 25 years and I've never been mugged. I actually was told this story by some friends tonight and I was a bit shocked to hear it. I mean it's never good to be out THAT late, but I don't find Union Square to be a bad neighborhood. I don't think it's ever a great idea to be strolling around alone at 4 in the morning, I doubt that's just a New York thing.

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:09 pm

I don't know, around these parts here, you can go wherever, whenever, alone, even if it's the middle of the night.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:17 pm

Statistically Manhattan is the second safest part of NYC, second only to Staten Island...
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down