Quinten Metsys
Arsenalfaithfull
Wilson37
SamuelJayC
13 posters

Go down

Aston Villa v Arsenal Preview Empty Aston Villa v Arsenal Preview

Post by SamuelJayC Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:20 am

Aston Villa v Arsenal, Saturday 24th November, 5.30pm, Villa Park, Premier League, ESPN

Aston Villa v Arsenal Preview Wpid-arsenal2-0montpellier-highlight
Jack Wilshere celebrates with his team-mates after a first goal in almost two years

Premier League Table

1. Man City 28pts
2. Man Utd 27pts
3. Chelsea 24pts
4. W.Brom 23pts
5. Everton 20pts
6. Arsenal 19pts
-----------------
18. Villa 9pts

Gunners into knock-out stages for 13th successive year

Arsene Wenger has more critics now than at any other point in his Arsenal career, but when it comes to qualifying for the knock-out stages of the Champions League, the Frenchman has few peers. On Wednesday evening, the gunners knew that victory against struggling Ligue 1 champions Montpellier and a defeat for Olympiacos at Schalke would see the club into the latter stages of Europe's elite competition for a 13th successive season. And that's what happened. Though, during the opening half-hour, it looked as though Arsenal could be heading for another home game in this tournament without a win - after the 2-0 loss against Schalke - but then Wenger's men woke up.

Lukas Podolski fired wide twice, while Laurent Koscielny thumped a header from Jack Wilshere's excellent cross against the bar. Wenger resisted the temptation to introduce the returning duo Gervinho and Kieran Gibbs at the interval, and four minutes later, Arsenal were ahead. Captain Thomas Vermaelen crossed for the influential Oliver Giroud who nodded down for Wilshere to finish. 1-0. Fifteen minutes later, it was 2-0. Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain - starting in place of the injured Theo Walcott - dribbled past a couple of visiting players before passing to Podolski. The German then played a sweet one-two with Giroud before firing past Montpellier 'keeper Geoffrey Jourdren. Game over.

Trip to relegation battlers Villa awaits

It was only in the 2008/09 campaign that Aston Villa were Arsenal's biggest challengers for a place in the Premier League's top four. Four years ago this weekend, Martin O'Neil's Villa side were holding then-champions Manchester United to a goalless draw in Birmingham, a result which left the club in 4th place, one point ahead of Arsenal. The game before, Villa had beaten the gunners at the Emirates, thanks to a strike from Gabriel Agbonlahor and a Gael Clichy own goal. Yes, O'Neil watched his side hit a nine-game winless run late on in the season, form that saw Villa drop from 3rd at Christmas to 6th in May, but this was a competitive Villa team, one which few wanted to face.

O'Neil departed in 2010, and three managers have arrived since. Gerard Houllier and Alex McLeish both has a season each, but failed to inspire players and fans alike - finishing 9th and 16th. Now it's the turn of Paul Lambert. The former Norwich coach was brought in by owner Randy Lerner to shake up the club and lift the villans up the table, but the 1982 European cup winners have made their worst start to a season in over 40 years.

Last weekend, Lambert's team were hammered 5-0 at champions Manchester City, whilst the week before, the Scot watched Manchester United defeat his side 3-2, despite Villa leading 2-0 with just 33 minutes remaining. The club have lost 7 of their 12 league games this season, and have won just 2 of their last 18 home league games.

Double for Arsenal last season

Wenger managed Arsenal to a league double against Aston Villa in the 2011/12 campaign.

Aston Villa 1-2 Arsenal (21/12/11) - Albrighton 54" / Van Persie 17", Benayoun 87"
XI: Szczesny; Coquelin Mertesacker Koscielny Vermaelen; Arteta Frimpong; Walcott Ramsey Gervinho; Van Persie

Arsenal 3-0 Aston Villa (24/03/12) - Gibbs 16", Walcott 25", Arteta 90"
XI: Szczesny; Sagna Djourou Vermaelen Gibbs; Song Arteta; Walcott Rosicky Gervinho; Van Persie

Match Facts

* Aston Villa have won none of their last 13 Premier League home games against Arsenal (D6 L7).

* There has been a goal scored in the 87th minute or later in seven of the last nine Premier League games between Arsenal and Villa.

* Darren Bent has scored 6 goals in his last 8 Premier League games against Arsenal.

* Only Barcelona’s Xavi (1152) has made more passes than Mikel Arteta (1104) in Europe’s big five leagues this season.

Team News

Arsenal

Walcott (shoulder), Rosicky (tendon), Diaby (thigh), Santos (muscle) and Fabianski (ankle) are all unavailable.

Aston Villa

Bent (ankle) is available again, but N'Zogbia (knee), Herd (knee), Bennett (knee) and Dunne (groin), Petrov (rehab) and Gardner (knee) are out. Hutton has joined Nottingham Forrest on an emergency loan deal.

* Paul Lambert will serve a touchline ban against Arsenal - He was handed a one-match ban & a fine of £8,000 after he was served with a charge relating to "language and/or behaviour amounting to improper conduct" during the 5-0 defeat at Man City last weekend.

Aston Villa v Arsenal Preview AbDLRkeacI

Arsenal subs - Mannone Jenkinson Gibbs Coquelin Ramsey Arshavin Gervinho

Managers

Arsene Wenger

"It is a massive satisfaction (to qualify for the knock-out stages of the Champions League again) because I am so many times with my back to the wall, accused of not spending fortunes. To show that we can do it, with the way we do it, with the Club in a good financial situation and with the players coming from our youth development, I think it is important for the game as well. There are many different ways to be successful and I am very happy that our way is one of them."

"I feel we've done our job recently and that of course is a big positive. It was two big games, and even by winning last night, we were not sure to qualify for the last 16 but we did it. We are happy. We just want to go on from there. We now have two difficult away games again, first at Aston Villa. We want to prepare well and try to win this game."

Paul Lambert

"The confidence is really good so as long as they keep going they'll be fine. I don't have any problem with any of them. None whatsoever. I know any of them can handle it. They have proven to me that they can do it. I have no trepidation about throwing them in at all. Can we handle Arsenal? Yes, I believe that. Arsenal are a top side but I have great belief about where we are going. I watched Arsenal the other night and they are a right good side with some technically gifted footballers. They are still a top team and it will be a hard game for us."

"But we're at home and it will be up to us to make the running. We'll go for it. If we can replicate the way we played against Manchester United, we will give them a game. We will try and win."

Last edited by Samuelj29060 on Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Aston Villa v Arsenal Preview Empty Re: Aston Villa v Arsenal Preview

Post by Wilson37 Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:13 am

Great preview Samuel..
Another must win match if we want to stay near top4.. Next match being a tough Everton away, making 3 points a necessity..
With Gibbs back Wenger would have to drop one of the 3 cb.. Kos has switched to his Boss mode from his owngoal mode in the last 2 games and Metskr has been consistent too.. Vermelen had a decent game last week at LB and he is the captain.. Considering we have a difficult match midweek i would prefer that we rotate between the centrebacks.. But whom to drop ? upto Wenger to make the tough call..
And i also would like to make some changes upfront too considering we play twice almost every week from now till January.. It is easy to stick with the winning lineup.. We need to keep our players fresh and happy too.. But at the same time we cant drop more points too.. Another problem for Wenger..
I would like to gamble making some changes in matches which look easy on the paper.. Like starting Podolski upfront instead of Giroud, resting Arteta, and resting Cazorla once Rosicky is back..
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Arsenalfaithfull Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:54 am

thisis a quote from a Villa forum

I actaully fancy us to get something out of this one, Arsenal are getting worse as the years go by. Cazorla is their only really good player and maybe wiltshere, the rest are mediocre.
2-2 draw with the black Savo to get a brace.

I really hope we put 4 past their pathetic team :facepalm:
Arsenalfaithfull
Arsenalfaithfull
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Quinten Metsys Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:33 am

Its good alternating between RG's Fan-like previews and Samuel's Journo-like previews...Both of them are doing a tremendous job,though :bow: (except for RG's Christian Bale mention in NLD preview, of course Very Happy ).

Quinten Metsys
Quinten Metsys
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:12 am

Arsenalfaithfull wrote:thisis a quote from a Villa forum

I actaully fancy us to get something out of this one, Arsenal are getting worse as the years go by. Cazorla is their only really good player and maybe wiltshere, the rest are mediocre.
2-2 draw with the black Savo to get a brace.

I really hope we put 4 past their pathetic team :facepalm:

Lol.

Villa are the second team I hate most in the PL, after Sunderland so I hope we smash these c*nts.

Szczesny
Sagna Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Arteta Wilshere
Chamberlain Cazorla Podolski
Giroud

The usual... should win tbh but you never know with Arsenal Rolling Eyes

Benteke will give his best to impress Arsene Laughing
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Rev Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:42 pm

Benteke to score a couple of goals against Villa to prove his allegiance towards Arsenal. :bow:

Expect us to have a Montpellier like game and up our game in the 2nd half. Rolling Eyes

Btw, another great preview Sam, thoroughly enjoyed it.
Rev
Rev
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:29 pm

Great work Sam

wish Gibbs is ready to start
villa full backs esp Lowtun didnt get enough protection and we need someone willing to attack jenks if not gibbs

ireland is key to their transitions and they look to build through him
he will try to pressure Arteta and cut off his options

their defence lacks PL experience and we should take advantage

should push Benteke away from goal

lets trash them another 4-2 on the way Twisted Evil
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:37 pm

Great preview Sam.

Our team is high on confidence and anything less than 3 points is a failure. Vila always show up against us but we have shown we can destroy them. I like the line up but I have a strong feeling Ramsey will play on the wings.

Going with 3-1 win.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:05 pm

Arsene Wenger Press Conference Pre Aston Villa
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:37 pm

Wonder if Arsene might consider the 3-5-2 while Walcott is out:

Szczesny
Koscielny Mertesacker Vermaelen
Sagna ------- Arteta Wilshere ------- Gibbs
Cazorla
Giroud Podolski

hmm
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by djoe26 Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:42 pm

Tough game but we should be winning this as Aston Villa isnt in good form. Benteke and Agbonlahor are thier key players and if we manage to stop then i am pretty sure we can get a win tommorrow.

Btw Sam great preview! Thumbs up
urbaNRoots wrote:Wonder if Arsene might consider the 3-5-2 while Walcott is out:

Szczesny
Cazorla
Giroud Podolski

hmm
That whats what i would like to see but that is not going to happen. I somehow feel that Ramsey might start over OX tommorrow.

djoe26
djoe26
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:40 pm

Great job Sam

Not too worried about Benteke, we could use a 12th man :coffee:
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:31 pm

Great work Sam!

I don't like playing against teams who are struggling down. They usually beat us lol. I mean this game should be a good win for us because we are going in with back to back wins and qualification secured for the CL R16. But somehow we manage to give in such a shitty performance in these games that it kinda becomes worrying. Like against Norwich, or QPR last year.

I hope i am wrong, because i think we should be winning this comfortably. As long as we turn up to the game, it should be good.

I think Gibbs will start, or he should start. Perhaps Gervinho may come in for Oxlade on the Right. We should freshen things up a little bit.

Hopefully a good solid win
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:32 pm

Thanks for compliments guys.

Arsène Wenger's pre-Aston Villa press conference - #AFC - http://bit.ly/V2izDI
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Post by julias Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:47 pm

Great preview! Hopefully we can get another win and finally start building towards a top 4 finish
julias
julias
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Chippy Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:40 pm

Great Preview.

Should really beat these and am going for a 3-0 win.

Another clean sheet would be good and hopefully we can start to buid some confidence.
Chippy
Chippy
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Arsenalfaithfull Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:05 am

urbaNRoots wrote:Wonder if Arsene might consider the 3-5-2 while Walcott is out:

Szczesny
Cazorla
Giroud Podolski

hmm

If we were to go with that sexy-time formation, I would much rather use Jenko than Sagna to be honest. Jenkinson offers more as a wingback than Sagna for sure.
Arsenalfaithfull
Arsenalfaithfull
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down