B-Mac
FalcaoPunch
justdoit_
fatman123
RedOranje
22 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Sepp Blatter: MLS are "struggling." - Page 2 Empty Re: Sepp Blatter: MLS are "struggling."

Post by rwo power Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:48 pm

stevieg8 wrote:The point is that it's not about the American public's viewing span, many of whom use Tivo/DVRs/Adblockers online to disable commercials, but is about the businesses controlling things. The TV Networks aren't as interested in airing something that will make them less money, especially considering the large sums of money being paid for the licensing deals (see the other recent thread). Since these games are already being aired on off-channels, and the foreign ones are typically at hours of the day not usually designated for sports, the networks aren't going to push their few remaining customers into streaming by removing parts of the gameplay. That would be an absolutely mindboggling decision.

Just imagine the first time they cut away to commercial and a goal gets scored? Or two? Or a red card given? How do you deal with that? "Welcome back from the break, here's a quick recap to get you up to speed... Back to you, John"
*nod* That makes sense.

BTW, you prolly can't imagine how I got ballistic when one of those media experts went "Well, one could introduce two more breaks"... XD

rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Sepp Blatter: MLS are "struggling." - Page 2 Empty Re: Sepp Blatter: MLS are "struggling."

Post by elm_baraja_shaman Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:57 pm

MLS is suffering Laughing
elm_baraja_shaman
elm_baraja_shaman
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by lenear1030 Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:14 pm

I disagree with Blatter here. I dont think the MLS is as popular as some others from the states on the sites believe it is, but it does have a presence albeit not big enough.

I've said it before and I'll say it again MLS or any other league of soccer will not rival MLB, NBA, or the NFL. For the most part the sport still has a negative perception as a professional sport.

Personally I feel that we should concentrate on our talent development and focus on exporting players to the top leagues in Europe. We need to establish ourselves as a place that produces talent that can compete on the world stage. Trying to develop a league internally with a sub par talent pool wont do that. This is a bit of a generalization, but Americans wont care about a 'major' sports league if they know that the world's best players are not playing in it. For MLS to have a substantial chance at having a high profile domestically and internationally, it needs to have at least some of the world's current best players (not retirees). MLS makes it hard to do that with salary cap restrictions. Not even that the cap is a bad thing as it currently stands, but MLS clubs probably couldnt justify bidding for a Radamel Falcao, or a Mesut Ozil for example. Their prices would be too high to justify a good ROI. Yes you could improve your team, but the marketing dollars just aren't there to be made yet by an MLS 'star'.

This was a bit of a rambling post, but I guess the takeaways from it are Sepp Blatter is wrong (as usual), the US needs to produce better talent who will play in Europe (more Bradleys, Dempseys), and succeed at the NT level before the MLS can be big-time
lenear1030
lenear1030
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Be/\/ceCALI Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:17 pm

spot on, lenear Thumbs up
Be/\/ceCALI
Be/\/ceCALI
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:28 pm

Corrupt moron
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:33 pm

Swanhends wrote:Corrupt moron
Oh come on, I don't agree with everything Lenear says but that doesn't mean he's corrupt OR a moron. Just a bit harsh there, bhends. affraid
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by B-Mac Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:16 pm

RedOranje wrote:
Oh come on, I don't agree with everything Lenear says but that doesn't mean he's corrupt OR a moron. Just a bit harsh there, bhends. affraid

I think he meant Blatter Laughing
B-Mac
B-Mac
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:42 pm

B-Mac MUFC wrote:
RedOranje wrote:

I think he meant Blatter Laughing
That's the joke.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:47 pm

I don't watch the MLS much mainly due to timezones....

But when a CB comes from the MLS to the PL and is instantly one of the best in the league then it must mean the quality isn't all that bad no?
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebaño Sagrado Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:53 pm

One player can't define the whole league
Rebaño Sagrado
Rebaño Sagrado
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:57 pm

Rebaño Sagrado wrote:One player can't define the whole league
Thats not a good logic.Argentinian defenders in Europe are crap but they have great defenses in their league
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by OLpower Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:05 pm

No matter how much money you pump into a league, if there is no real interest for football in the United States, it will never succeed.

I think that now there have been so much attemps for a long time and we can take definitive conclusion. Most of americans does not care about football. It is a fact that the FIFA has to accept.

I don't see why so many people are upset that americans are not interested in football. We are not interested in their sports like american football and baseball. Are they uspset about that? Not at all.

MLS will never succeed and never become one of the best league in the world, because it has little domestic interest and zero international interest. Case closed.
OLpower
OLpower
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:07 pm

Players coming from America/the MLS have, for the most part, done well in Europe as well. I'm not going to pretend that they have been world beaters at top clubs because that's not the case, but Dempsey was brilliant for Fulham and has done well with Spurs, who are third. Donovan came into the EPL for a bit and was one of Everton's best players while he was there. Jermain Jones has done relatively well in Germany from my knowledge, and did well with the Blackburn Rovers (although he might be a different case growing up in Germany). American keepers have always been good in England and Europe- Tim Howard is one of the best in the EPL.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:09 pm

OLpower wrote:No matter how much money you pump into a league, if there is no real interest for football in the United States, it will never succeed.

I think that now there have been so much attemps for a long time and we can take definitive conclusion. Most of americans does not care about football. It is a fact that the FIFA has to accept.

I don't see why so many people are upset that americans are not interested in football. We are not interested in their sports like american football and baseball. Are they uspset about that? Not at all.

MLS will never succeed and never become one of the best league in the world, because it has little domestic interest and zero international interest. Case closed.

Pls give me your magic 8 ball that can see into the future. I wanna see if I'll hook up with Kate Upton sometime.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by OLpower Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:11 pm

CBarca wrote:
OLpower wrote:No matter how much money you pump into a league, if there is no real interest for football in the United States, it will never succeed.

Pls give me your magic 8 ball that can see into the future. I wanna see if I'll hook up with Kate Upton sometime.

Can you express your opinion in a clearer way?
OLpower
OLpower
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebaño Sagrado Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:12 pm

Ganso wrote:hats not a good logic.Argentinian defenders in Europe are crap but they have great defenses in their league
Argentinian clubs have great defenses against SA competition. How many times do they face European competition?The Argie cb's in Europe probably looked good in Argentina.
Rebaño Sagrado
Rebaño Sagrado
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by OLpower Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:13 pm

I still can't believe we invested 3 millions into Monzon. Neutral
OLpower
OLpower
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:14 pm

Rebaño Sagrado wrote:
Ganso wrote:hats not a good logic.Argentinian defenders in Europe are crap but they have great defenses in their league
Argentinian clubs have great defenses against SA competition. How many times do they face European competition?The Argie cb's in Europe probably looked good in Argentina.
Estudiantes vs Barca was the last time (if i am correct) and they took them to extra time.

The funny thing is they won with a pedro header and a chest goal from Messi.

And its not like SA teams have scrub attacks,quite the contrary
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:15 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:I don't watch the MLS much mainly due to timezones....

But when a CB comes from the MLS to the PL and is instantly one of the best in the league then it must mean the quality isn't all that bad no?

Who?
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:15 pm

Cameron at Stoke, he's been f*cking class this season.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:18 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Cameron at Stoke, he's been f*cking class this season.

Didn't realize he was American.
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:28 pm

OLpower wrote:
CBarca wrote:

You talk like you are so certain that MLS will never succeed.

It's been getting better every year. Surely you must have a magic ball that you can see into the future with if you are so sure MLS will not succeed on an international scale?

Otherwise what you say is blasphemy to me.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by OLpower Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:31 pm

CBarca wrote:
OLpower wrote:
CBarca wrote:

You talk like you are so certain that MLS will never succeed.

It's been getting better every year. Surely you must have a magic ball that you can see into the future with if you are so sure MLS will not succeed on an international scale?

Otherwise what you say is blasphemy to me.

Blasphemy? Maybe it was even terrorism?

There is no real sign of progress in 20 years and even the president of FIFA is thinking that way. The MLS may have developped and it surely did, but the level of interesment about football in the United States is still completely low, despite multiple channels broadcasting matchs, despite a world cup and despite any attempt of the FIFA.

Football just won't be a big sport in the US.
OLpower
OLpower
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebaño Sagrado Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:36 pm

Ganso wrote:
Thats not a good logic.Argentinian defenders in Europe are crap but they have great defenses in their league
Wait aren't we saying the same thing hmm scratch

Pls rephrase
Rebaño Sagrado
Rebaño Sagrado
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebaño Sagrado Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:36 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Cameron at Stoke, he's been f*cking class this season.

Signed him on my fantasy team today :bow:
Rebaño Sagrado
Rebaño Sagrado
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:40 pm

Rebaño Sagrado wrote:

Signed him on my fantasy team today :bow:

Me too :bow:
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next